What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jebmke

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by jebmke » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:48 pm

The Flight Portfolio, by Julie Orringer
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

cashboy

Post by cashboy » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:56 pm

You Have the Right to Remain Innocent

https://www.amazon.com/You-Have-Right-R ... 1503933393

somewhat short and concise read.

bought it after watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:05 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:53 pm
In the Days of the Comet, by H. G. Wells. OMG, what a total stinker of a book it is. I kept reading it, fascinated by the terribleness of it. This is H. G. Wells at his absolute worst. I hope someone else has read it so we can commiserate together.
There are other famous authors who’ve written terrible books. Take Herman Melville’s Typee for example.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:13 pm

The Great Influenza by John Barry. Audible version.

I sprung for an Audible subscription last year and enjoy listening while doing puzzles. This is a fascinating account of the era as well as the pandemic. I imagine listening is a bit easier than slogging through the text. It's definitely for the lay person with an interest in general history.
20% cash 43% stock 37% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%

mindboggling

Post by mindboggling » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:23 pm

"A Gentleman In Moscow" by Amor Towles. His first novel "Rules of Civility" is good, too.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

Papajoe56

Post by Papajoe56 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:12 pm

Two Kinds of Truth by Michael Connelly

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:18 pm

heartwood wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:37 pm
Blues wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:29 pm
"The Mirror and The Light" the final chapter in Hilary Mantel's Thomas Cromwell series.
I am as well. I read and enjoyed the two before this, but that was a couple/few years ago and I'm having a hard time getting back into understanding the various characters beyond Cromwell and the marque names. Mantel does include a list of characters, but it's 6 pages long. I've bookmarked the list in my ereader so I can more easily find out who this Duke or other person might be.

The first chapter describes Anne's beheading.
A month later I'm still at it with The Mirror and the Light. I enjoy the writing, I enjoy the story, but I can't get the final part read. As I predicted there are so many characters that I have trouble remembering who's who, who's young/old, who's a friend. But the book is one I'm glad I'm reading. She's a great writer for me. I may peek soon at the actual history to see/remember how it turns out. Nah, I'm enjoying the story so why not be carried along by the author to her presentation of how it ends. Please no spoilers!

In the meantime I read John Sandford's Masked Prey in 2 days and am half way through Harlan Coben's The Boy from the Woods. Both easy reading and very different books than Mantel's. I believe Sandford is still writing his own books. (as is Coben?) Both have written so many. Sanford goes out of his way to deliver some snappy and wry sentences. I chuckled, outlound, more than once.

His is a Lucas Davenport, US Marshall story, with help from Bob & Rae, also marshalls that he used in previous books.
Coben has written another thriller set in Bergen County NJ. It's got "the boy" of the title, and many tropes of suburban life.

Crawdad

Post by Crawdad » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:24 pm

Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis
It's about a lot of things, but Dr. Arrowsmith eventually fights a plague.
Appropriate for our times

Pugs1351

Post by Pugs1351 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:44 pm

Escape From The Ordinary by Julie Bradley.
It’s a true story about a couple that buy a sailboat and sail the world upon retirement.
I’ve been having issues making it thru books lately but this book has grabbed my attention.
I’m halfway thru and am interested in each new chapter.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:06 pm

The Little Friend, by Donna Tartt.

12 year old girl uses her summer vacation to discover and punish the person who murdered her older brother when she was a baby. Part coming of age, part family dynamics, and partly a novel about the small town South. Worth reading just for the scenes with the snakes, which are hilarious.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:13 pm

Crawdad wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:24 pm
Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis
It's about a lot of things, but Dr. Arrowsmith eventually fights a plague.
Appropriate for our times
Thanks for the reminder.
I read this many decades ago, and yes, it'ts certainly an appropriate time to re-read it...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

jdb

Post by jdb » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:16 pm

Did you ever read a classic novel and find out that everyone you know read it years ago? And you had never heard of it? Just happened to me, finished A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith. I really enjoyed. But my wife and friends all tell me they read it years ago, and enjoyed. A classic coming of age story of poor smart girl living in tenement in Williamsburg section of Brooklyn pre WWI, was best seller in 40’s and 50’s with movie and musical. All unknown to me. I can see why, thought it was captivating novel, so if you are one of few people like me who have not read it then highly recommend. Good luck.

birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:38 pm

THE SPLENDID AND THE VILE on ruralavalon's recommendation. Will start on this Churchill book tonight.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri May 01, 2020 12:49 pm

jdb wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:16 pm
Did you ever read a classic novel and find out that everyone you know read it years ago? And you had never heard of it? Just happened to me, finished A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith. I really enjoyed. But my wife and friends all tell me they read it years ago, and enjoyed. A classic coming of age story of poor smart girl living in tenement in Williamsburg section of Brooklyn pre WWI, was best seller in 40’s and 50’s with movie and musical. All unknown to me. I can see why, thought it was captivating novel, so if you are one of few people like me who have not read it then highly recommend. Good luck.
Agree about the book and would also recommend the '40s movie with Peggy Ann Garner and a solid cast directed by Elia Kazan.
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri May 01, 2020 3:46 pm

jdb wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:16 pm
Yes, excellent book. I read it in 2019. I had heard of it, but hadn’t read it before.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed May 06, 2020 12:13 pm

The Great Influenza, by John M. Barry.

This is a good history of the 1918 flu pandemic. I found it very interesting and informative. I recommend this book.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat May 09, 2020 5:32 pm

Black Skies, by Arnaldur Indridason.

A murder mystery set in Rejkjavik Iceland. Too dark for my taste :( .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

DJ_VTI

Post by DJ_VTI » Sat May 09, 2020 6:13 pm

Adaptive Markets, by Andrew Lo
Talking to Strangers, by Malcolm Gladwell
Narrative Economics, by Robert Schiller
Also recently re-read Little Book of Common Sense Investing, by Mr. John C Bogle

pezblanco

Post by pezblanco » Sun May 10, 2020 10:06 am

I enjoyed Eight Perfect Murders by Peter Swanson. In some ways an homage to the great detective stories of the past. I give it a 4/5.

I got about halfway through You Are Not Alone and then abandoned it ... well written but just too disturbing for me ... I"m very sensitive to certain things and this book was hitting too many of them. It gets good reviews.

I thoroughly enjoyed Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (author of Gone Girl). 4.5/5

The Silent Patient had some good momentum but I thought the ending could have been done better ... surprising but not taking advantage of the possibilities. 3.9/5

One of my guilty pleasures is reading the Pendergast novels of Douglas Preston. The current one is Crooked River ... within the series, I would say it is about a 4/5. If you're interested in the series, read the first (and probably best one) Relic. It's not great literature but I tell myself that it's better than watching TV. :D

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sun May 10, 2020 10:13 am

Richmond Burning: The Last Days of the Confederate Capital by Nelson Lankford

While VA history is a primary interest of mine, the Civil War is not, yet I borrowed this book having run out of things to read until my new book order arrives.

This is a day by day, almost hour by hour account of the last days of the Confederate capital from primarily a civilian viewpoint with military actions providing context. He captures the complexity of life in Richmond without it being overwhelming or tedious. With all the journals, diaries, letters, dispatches and newspaper articles from which the author draws it is an excellent book. Here is the author giving a presentation about the book:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?172746-1/richmond-burning

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun May 10, 2020 11:58 am

Mr. Rumples wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:13 am
yet I borrowed this book having run out of things to read until my new book order arrives.
With so many free out-of-copyright ebooks available to download how could anyone run out of reading material? There must be enough for hundreds of lifetimes.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sun May 10, 2020 12:09 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:58 am
Mr. Rumples wrote:
yet I borrowed this book having run out of things to read until my new book order arrives.
With so many free out-of-copyright ebooks available to download how could anyone run out of reading material? There must be enough for hundreds of lifetimes.
I don't do ebooks and while I do read shorter books on the internet on this computer, (the last one was von Steuben's Regulations for the Order and Discipline of the Troops of the United States, a.k.a. the Blue Book). Though perhaps veterans might be interested since many of the protocols he initiated in 1779 are still being used today: https://archive.org/details/2575061R.nl ... 2/mode/2up

I prefer to hold a paper book in hand; I am always flipping back and forth and attaching yellow tabs with notes to research.

Online, its going to take a while to go through all 32,000 of George Washington's papers:

https://founders.archives.gov/?q=&s=151 ... a=&r=1&sr=

I am going back through (Lt.) Governor Fauquier's papers. Having read them a year back, I am now more interested in a few esoteric areas of his administration, but I doubt many others would be interested:

https://www.amazon.com/Official-Lieuten ... 0813908566

bt365

Post by bt365 » Sun May 10, 2020 12:37 pm

Like to switch among 3-4 books until I finish all.
Currently reading through these:
- The Catskills from Wilderness to Woodstock, Alf Evers
- Being Mortal, Atul Gawande
- Cannery Row, John Steinbeck
- Plath Poems, Sylvia Plath

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun May 10, 2020 1:41 pm

Mr. Rumples wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:09 pm
Nicolas wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:58 am
Mr. Rumples wrote:
I don't do ebooks and while I do read shorter books on the internet on this computer, (the last one was von Steuben's Regulations for the Order and Discipline of the Troops of the United States, a.k.a. the Blue Book). Though perhaps veterans might be interested since many of the protocols he initiated in 1779 are still being used today: https://archive.org/details/2575061R.nl ... 2/mode/2up

I prefer to hold a paper book in hand; I am always flipping back and forth and attaching yellow tabs with notes to research.

Online, its going to take a while to go through all 32,000 of George Washington's papers:

https://founders.archives.gov/?q=&s=151 ... a=&r=1&sr=

I am going back through (Lt.) Governor Fauquier's papers. Having read them a year back, I am now more interested in a few esoteric areas of his administration, but I doubt many others would be interested:

https://www.amazon.com/Official-Lieuten ... 0813908566
Interesting links, thanks. I‘ve bookmarked them for future browsing. I also prefer paper books but the abundance of free online public domain works keeps me occupied.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun May 10, 2020 2:42 pm

Continuing my survey of "the C. S. Forester novels that a) aren't about Hornblower and that b) I haven't already read," I just finished The Earthly Paradise (aka To the Indies), The Peacemaker and The Gun, and am starting on The Good Shepherd. My main conclusion is that the first three are good and very readable, but that the less famous ones have slightly incoherent stories that keep me reading with pleasure, but don't end satisfyingly. The Earthly Paradise is a fascinating portrayal of Christopher Columbus.

The Peacemaker was particularly disappointing because it was so good until it fell apart. Incidentally, I would count it as being, absolutely, science fiction. The "science" part is that a high school teacher, who is actually a physicist and mathematician of very high order who has never been enough of a self-promoter, discovers a sort of beam or field that cancels or erase magnetism. If it is an electromagnet, it loses its magnetism as long as the field is on; if a permanent magnet, it loses it permanently.

The novel describes his attempt to force the world to disarm by using his invention. Lovely details about how, in order to make it portable, he installs it in a car and goes around buying "accumulators" (storage batteries)--one and two at a time, all at different stores, so as not to arouse suspicion--until he has enough to completely cover the floor of the car. He basically uses the field to disable motor vehicles, it is a motor-vehicle-inactivation beam.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Eowyn

Post by Eowyn » Tue May 12, 2020 9:52 pm

80% through The Yellow House by Sarah Monique Broom.
A memoir by a woman who grew up in New Orleans East, with themes of family (hers is large, she is the youngest of 12 children), place, class, and race.
The cadence of the writing is different from what I usually read. It took until I was about 1/3 done to fall in with it, and now I'm really enjoying it; I'll be a bit sorry to finish.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sat May 16, 2020 12:24 pm

Finished and recommend:
The Fifth Risk by Michael Lewis.

Halfway through and recommend already:
The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload by Daniel Levitan, a neuroscientist and cognitive psychologist who shows how the brain works to organize information. I earlier read and also recommend, his book, This Is Your Brain on Music:The Science of Human Obsession.
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Fri May 22, 2020 2:35 pm

A Rock Between Two Rivers by Hugh Fitzsimmons South TX oil and ranching history.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman » Fri May 22, 2020 8:22 pm

Close To The Bone
By: Kendra Elliot
Do recommend

johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx » Fri May 22, 2020 9:04 pm

Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing; Island of the Blue Dolphins; My Side of the Mountain; The Book of Three. Granted, I'm reading these books to my daughter . . .but I do enjoy them as well.

birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood » Sat May 23, 2020 3:25 pm

John Grisham's CAMINO ISLAND and CAMINO WINDS.

Fun reads.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sat May 23, 2020 4:15 pm

birnhamwood wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:25 pm
John Grisham's CAMINO ISLAND and CAMINO WINDS.

Fun reads.
I read Camino Island when it came out. I'm just starting Camino Winds. Fun reads indeed. Both are definitely 'beach books'. Okay if you skip a lot of the dialog and irrelevant discussion. I've commented before about Grisham's novels in the last 5 -10 years. Readable, but not up to the works that made him a name. I'll finish Camino Winds, but I'm not enthusiastic.

A week or so ago I started the new Scott Turow, The Last Trial. A continuation of characters in his previous books. I enjoyed them all. I got more than a hundred pages into this one and have put it aside. It's a courtroom story related to FDA drug approval, insider trading and related matters. Its generally talking and maneuvers in the courtroom, lots of dialog, not much actually happening. Doubt I'll finish it. After 100+ pages I checked both Amazon and GoodReads reviews. I'm definitely in the minority. Most give it 4+ or 5 stars.

I'm wondering if it's me. I start and reject so many marquee books by highly touted authors.

I did finally finish The Light & the Mirror by Hilary Mantel. I read each of her books in the three book series with Thomas Cromwell as the center of the stories in the time of Henry VIII. So many characters to remember. Yet I found her amazing. I feel I have a better understanding of those times and events. While reading I did not recall how the history actually played out. I didn't peek!

I'm number 1 on my library ebook list for the new Michael Connelly, Fair Warning, out next week. I'm looking forward to it. It's a Jack McEvoy story. He appeared years ago in The Poet and in The Scarecrow.

Doctopetala

Post by Doctopetala » Sat May 23, 2020 4:25 pm

21 Lessons for the 21st Century by Yuval Noah Harari.

cs412a

Post by cs412a » Sat May 23, 2020 4:44 pm

Why we sleep by Matthew Walker. The book covers just about all aspects of sleep - the current scientific understanding of the processes involved in sleep, changes in sleep across the life span (such as the circadian shifts that lead older adults to go to bed earlier in the evening and wake before dawn), the functions of slow-wave (deep) sleep and REM sleep, the serious effects of sleep deprivation on health, and dreaming.

I agree with Walker that a (brief) midday nap is beneficial and that the observed advanced sleep phases in older adults are a type of sleep disorder, although I find his suggestions for dealing with changes in circadian rhythms and fragmentary sleep too cursory to be helpful. Still, reading the book has helped me to better understand my own sleep issues and has motivated me to do further reading in the research literature on sleep disorders in older adults.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:26 pm

"The Murderbot Diaries" by Martha Wells. These 4 novellas are about an A.I. (Half robot half human construct) that is designed to provide security for humans. However the Bot only wants to watch entertainment videos. The first book in the series is "All Systems Red". The 2nd book is "Artificial Condition". I am on the 3rd book, "Rogue Protocol". These books are fabulous. Funny, exciting, adventurous, page turner with crisp writing.

Dave

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue May 26, 2020 6:49 pm

^^^ We have a dedicated sci-fi thread. Those books are discussed in several posts, starting from here: Re: Good Modern Science Fiction

(Feel free to update the thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue May 26, 2020 8:36 pm

The Splendid and the Vile, by Erik Larson.

In depth look at Churchill’s first year as prime minister, May, 1940-41. Really fascinating. It became clear to me that Britain prevailed mostly due to Churchill's force of will.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Tue May 26, 2020 8:51 pm

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann. The title says it all.

TravelforFun

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed May 27, 2020 11:18 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:36 pm
The Splendid and the Vile, by Erik Larson.

In depth look at Churchill’s first year as prime minister, May, 1940-41. Really fascinating. It became clear to me that Britain prevailed mostly due to Churchill's force of will.
Excellent book, I enjoyed it. This is more a personal history of Churchill his family and close friends in 1940-41, rather than a history of World War II.
TravelforFun wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:51 pm
Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann. The title says it all.

TravelforFun
Excellent book, I enjoyed it.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Wed May 27, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:21 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:49 pm
^^^ We have a dedicated sci-fi thread. Those books are discussed in several posts, starting from here: Re: Good Modern Science Fiction

(Feel free to update the thread.)
Thanks LadyGeek. Done.

Dave

boglegirl

Post by boglegirl » Wed May 27, 2020 12:28 pm

mfswatz9 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:45 pm
I'm working my way through Louise Penny's mystery novels featuring Chief Inspector Armand Gamache. The crimes take place in and around a little village called Three Pines in Quebec. I thoroughly enjoy a good suspense or mystery book and these are very readable.
I've been reading these books for the last few weeks and am on the 7th one. I'm enjoying them because Penny does a great job of developing the characters as the books progress. I also like the fact that although these are murder mysteries, they are not graphic along the lines of something like Jack Reacher.

The one drawback is that the reader really needs to suspend disbelief. Honestly, how many murders can there be in one tiny village before nobody is left? :D I've lived in my small city (probably 20x as big as Three Pines) for 14 years and we've had one murder. If I lived in Three Pines I'd have kicked the dust off my sandals after the 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th, etc) murder.

I've been getting these in eBook format from my library but a couple of times the wait list has been too long and I've listened to the audio book. The narrator is excellent! I'm glad I've listened to a couple on audio so I get a sense for the French names.

Post by 1789 » Wed May 27, 2020 1:02 pm

"ENOUGH" from Bogle. I thought this maybe a boring book, but honestly it looks pretty good so far. Especially the 2nd part related to business. Couple interesting notes from the book: At one point he talks about his family roots and immigrant background - (he was Scottish). I didn't think he would ever make a point about his roots as immigrants as I know Bogle always was super influenced with the idea of American idealism. But i am wrong it seems, which is good. Also he mentions that he has 5 dreams that he would love to see the fund industry to embrace to bring back "democratic capitalism". I doubt that would ever happen. (stopping short term speculations, trading, being on the side of investors etc...)
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)

turno77

Post by turno77 » Wed May 27, 2020 1:13 pm

The Gary Snyder Reader: Prose, Poetry, and Translations

Beloved, Toni Morrison

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri May 29, 2020 4:47 pm

Jack Bogle "Enough". My favorite book.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri May 29, 2020 4:48 pm

1789 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:02 pm
"ENOUGH" from Bogle. I thought this maybe a boring book, but honestly it looks pretty good so far. Especially the 2nd part related to business. Couple interesting notes from the book: At one point he talks about his family roots and immigrant background - (he was Scottish). I didn't think he would ever make a point about his roots as immigrants as I know Bogle always was super influenced with the idea of American idealism. But i am wrong it seems, which is good. Also he mentions that he has 5 dreams that he would love to see the fund industry to embrace to bring back "democratic capitalism". I doubt that would ever happen. (stopping short term speculations, trading, being on the side of investors etc...)
I am reading as well. This is my favorite book and in my opinion should be required reading in business school.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Sat May 30, 2020 1:05 am

Forty Autumns by Nina Willner. A family's story of courage and survival on both sides of the Berlin wall.

Extremely well-written; painstakingly researched. I'm 60, and it is interesting to hear this account of the years in East Germany behind the Iron Curtain, contrasted with life in the United States and West Germany. Reading this factual account of life under communism certainly gives perspective to our lives today. When the Soviets occupied the small village where this family lived, the punishment for hoarding food was, the Soviets shot you. One young couple waited more than 7 years for the car that they had ordered. I am grateful that my ancestors were able to come to the United States when they did, in the early 1900s.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sat May 30, 2020 1:43 am

Revolutionary Medicine: The Founding Fathers and Mothers in Sickness and in Healthby Jeanne Abrams. Medicine in the age of bleeding, no anesthesia and where inoculation was novel and radical; where epidemics were catastrophic (the smallpox epidemic of 1793 killed 10% of the population of Philadelphia, the capital). The style isn't as engaging as some authors, some might find the stories of death and treatments redundant, but its often overlooked material and insight into a different era where even they, the Founders, were advocates for what was then modern health care. (John Adams outlived four of his six children, Jefferson was predeceased by his wife at a young age and four of his six children, Martha Washington was a young widow and outlived four of her children.)