So what are you cooking

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Mudpuppy

Re: So what are you cooking

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon May 18, 2020 7:07 pm

I received a package of fresh chicken from this weekend's grocery order, so I'm making chicken cacciatore again. I really should have planted a large tomato variety this spring, instead of cherry tomatoes, given how frequently I like to make this dish.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Mon May 18, 2020 7:13 pm

I am so very bored with cooking at home.

I have some Trader Joe's frozen meals in the freezer, and I have some Costco Organic Tasty Bite Madras Lentils that I eat with rice. Trying to go more plant-based, but the frozen TJoe's meals have cheese in them.

I had sauteed up a giant bag of Costco onions and frozen them all in serving-sized ziplocks. I used up the last one last night. I ordered some freeze-dried onions from Amazon last night just to have on hand.

I think I'll have some homemade butternut squash soup from my freezer tonight. It's a really good recipe with coconut milk, an apple, and my new secret ingredient... some green TJoe's salsa. It balances the coconut milk and the apple perfectly, with a little kick.

Best to all of you! Stay safe!

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Mon May 18, 2020 10:06 pm

I think if you are getting bored it's probably time to challenge yourself to do something or try something you have not done or eaten before. It's easy to get on a "food treadmill" of trying to use everything optimally and perhaps not seeing other possibilities. Try a "pantry challenge" and combine a few things in ways that are new.

Depending on your risk tolerance, it's also worth going for takeout, fast food drive-through, or delivery. The food industry was already one of the cleanest ones out there - they lose customers if they get sick or dead. They are certainly not perfect though. I've done the drive-thru only twice in the past two months, where it would have been 1-2 times a week before.

In one of my earlier posts I mentioned eventually breaking into the freeze-dried earthquake rations. I finally did that last week, for a breakfast. The rations are Mountain House, a well-respected brand known for being tastier than others, with a 30-year shelf life. Well, it is for sure some tasty glop that will keep you alive. I'm glad I know that now, so I can keep more canned food for emergencies instead. There's quite a difference, to me. It wasn't abhorrent but I'd prefer a can of chili, even for breakfast. I now have a story to tell as well. Only 59 packages to go! :shock:

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon May 18, 2020 10:36 pm

tooluser wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:06 pm
In one of my earlier posts I mentioned eventually breaking into the freeze-dried earthquake rations. I finally did that last week, for a breakfast. The rations are Mountain House, a well-respected brand known for being tastier than others, with a 30-year shelf life. Well, it is for sure some tasty glop that will keep you alive. I'm glad I know that now, so I can keep more canned food for emergencies instead. There's quite a difference, to me. It wasn't abhorrent but I'd prefer a can of chili, even for breakfast. I now have a story to tell as well. Only 59 packages to go! :shock:
Two of my adventure buddies always bring Mountain House when we go on our trips. I finally saw how much the cost a few weeks ago at WalMart; at $10 a pop, that is some expensive freeze-dried glop.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Mon May 18, 2020 10:57 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:36 pm
tooluser wrote:
Two of my adventure buddies always bring Mountain House when we go on our trips. I finally saw how much the cost a few weeks ago at WalMart; at $10 a pop, that is some expensive freeze-dried glop.
They were much cheaper at Costco, at least when I bought them. Closer to $3 a bag, which is nominally 2 servings, 1 large serving for me, or not quite enough for a young hiker expending much energy. Dehydrated/Rehydrated food to me has a certain taste to it, and an aftertaste, that suggest something chemical was done to it. Maybe it leeches in from the bag, maybe it's just my palate. Not too happy with it, but I will experiment further.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Tue May 19, 2020 1:29 am

tooluser wrote:
I think if you are getting bored it's probably time to challenge yourself to do something or try something you have not done or eaten before. It's easy to get on a "food treadmill" of trying to use everything optimally and perhaps not seeing other possibilities. Try a "pantry challenge" and combine a few things in ways that are new.

Depending on your risk tolerance, it's also worth going for takeout, fast food drive-through, or delivery. The food industry was already one of the cleanest ones out there - they lose customers if they get sick or dead. They are certainly not perfect though. I've done the drive-thru only twice in the past two months, where it would have been 1-2 times a week before.

I haven't done takeout or drive through for more than two months now! And, before COVID, I mostly did dinners out with friends (I'm single and that was a big part of my social life) or did takeout on the way home from work. I have to go out for a doctor's appointment tomorrow, and I think I'm going to stop by my favorite pizza joint on the way home and get myself a pizza!

Chip

Post by Chip » Tue May 19, 2020 4:48 am

tooluser wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:57 pm
Maybe it leeches in from the bag, maybe it's just my palate. Not too happy with it, but I will experiment further.
Leeches in the bag would definitely make it taste nasty. I would recommend buying the one without the leeches next time. :P

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Tue May 19, 2020 12:15 pm

Actually, I am really enjoying this time at home and will be dropping several things once things return to normal.

In the past two months, I have cooked 2-3 meals a day everyday. My total food cost has dropped by half and I have lost about 10#. I have gotten rid of most of the older pantry items and learned how to cut some primal cuts of pork into the retail cuts.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Thu May 21, 2020 8:04 pm

Chip wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:48 am
tooluser wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:57 pm
Maybe it leeches in from the bag, maybe it's just my palate. Not too happy with it, but I will experiment further.
Leeches in the bag would definitely make it taste nasty. I would recommend buying the one without the leeches next time. :P
Well, on some level it did kind of suck. :arrow: Tonight: breakfast for dinner!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri May 22, 2020 7:10 pm

Baked eggplant parmesan. From: Baked Eggplant Parmesan

I used homemade tomato sauce that was in my freezer. Apparently, commercial sauce has quite a bit less water than homemade sauce. I ended up with a thick eggplant soup. I scooped the eggplant out of the dish with a slotted spoon. :)

The sauce at the bottom of the dish, along with sauce I didn't use, was put into a container and refrozen for a later time.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

TresBelle65

Post by TresBelle65 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:47 pm

sauteed escarole and beet greens

rice with pigeon peas

Eastern European sausage

Chia Fresca

johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx » Fri May 22, 2020 7:51 pm

Scones. This recipe is easy and turns out great. My favorite is cheese scones.

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/scones-recipe/

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Fri May 22, 2020 8:01 pm

Zoodled zucchini with Aldi's brand of Tomato Basil sauce and meat sauce. Low sugar, and our dogs love it.

Teague

Post by Teague » Sun May 24, 2020 4:52 pm

Lasagna featuring sauteed greens (chard, kale, spinach), whole-milk mozzarella, whole milk cottage cheese (better than the domestic ricottas I think), pecorino romano, homemade tomato sauce.
Semper Augustus

Planner01

Post by Planner01 » Sun May 24, 2020 6:24 pm

I made fresh beef and three cheese ravioli from scratch today. Along with it a delicious pumpkin cheesecake I am now regretting. The pie is huge and I forgot that I am trying to tone my muscles. No one else in our house likes cheesecake so it’s all on me. It’s too good to throw away. I guess I will sacrifice until it’s all gone.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 24, 2020 6:54 pm

Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun May 24, 2020 7:00 pm

I don't know about others, but I'm having to play a Tetris game with my freezer contents every time I have more leftovers than intended. I have not yet succumbed to the temptation to get a second chest freezer. Today, I am making something where I know it will be eaten between tonight's dinner and tomorrow's dinner, so the leftovers only have to be stored in the fridge.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 24, 2020 8:00 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:00 pm
I'm having to play a Tetris game with my freezer contents...
I've never heard it described that way, but it fits perfectly (or not, pun intended). :D

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:32 pm

Tuna casserole.

Due to forgetting to add a few things to my grocery list, I ended up with:

12 oz box of mafalda pasta (instead of egg noodles)
8 oz shredded whole-milk mozarella (instead of cheddar)
1 Cup plain bread crumbs (instead of potato chips)
chopped onion
frozen peas
2 - 10.5 oz cans of cream of mushroom soup

It's really hard to mess up a tuna casserole. The mozarella gave it a different flavor. When I make this again, I'll use cheddar.