What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sixtyforty

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by sixtyforty » Tue May 12, 2020 8:21 am

Empire of the Sun. A 1987 movie directed by Spielberg about a little British boy (Christian Bale) separated from his parents during the Japanese occupation of Shanghai during WWII. Good movie.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Tue May 12, 2020 12:39 pm

About Time

A klutzy young man learns from his father that the
men in his family can travel back in time. He uses
this ability multiple times to "fix" things he has messed
up.
Interesting for a while but it gets monotonous after
repeat, repeat, repeat of a one trick pony. Good cast
but at best 5/10.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue May 12, 2020 1:16 pm

wilson08 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:39 pm
About Time

A klutzy young man learns from his father that the
men in his family can travel back in time. He uses
this ability multiple times to "fix" things he has messed
up....
If you haven't already seen it The Butterfly Effect with Ashton Kutcher is a very good movie about unintended consequences when he goes back into time to fix things.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

cork

Post by cork » Tue May 12, 2020 1:40 pm

Kung Fu Hustle
This is one of the funniest movies I've seen. It is a parody of more "serious" Kung Fu movies, which I love to watch. It's not for everybody, as my wife will attest. Obviously, there's violence, and it is also subtitled. But if you like Kung Fu movies, I believe you'll get a laugh out of this one.
It can be kind of hard to find, but is currently on Netflix.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Tue May 12, 2020 3:10 pm

"Road to Perdition" - Tom Hanks

I liked it but it did have some really violent scenes. :|

travellight

Post by travellight » Wed May 13, 2020 11:02 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 11:32 am
The Death of Stalin, on Netflix. Dark comedy, indeed. The only thing I could think of was "Dr. Strangelove". It was worth watching.
I thoroughly enjoyed this as well. It embodied "dark comedy". Really enjoyed the Nikita Khrushchev character.

travellight

Post by travellight » Wed May 13, 2020 11:06 pm

bowtie wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:24 pm
Prime Video :happy - "It's A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" with Tom Hanks. Wasn't expecting to like it and thought it excellent. Hanks is great as is Matthew Rhys. Really impressed with the film. (Totally unfamiliar with Rogers prior to seeing the documentary of him from the year before).
I loved this as well. It's so amazing that you were totally unfamiliar with Mr. Rogers prior to the films... a new generation.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri May 15, 2020 1:19 pm

Rear Window, on Amazon Prime.

This movie stars Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly. A man in a wheelchair with his broken leg in a cast watches his neighbors while recouperating. This is a perfect mystery/thriller for people confined to home.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon May 18, 2020 11:37 am

The Cheap Detective, on Amazon Prime.

This movie is hyterical, it mocks two of my favorite movies Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon. Peter Falk plays the Humphrey Bogart roles, and unlike those other movies gets the girl in the end. The movie also stars Ann-Margaret, Marsha Mason, Eileen Brennan, Stockard Channing, Madeline Kahn, Louise Flecther and a half dozen male leads. I recommend this movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon May 18, 2020 12:02 pm

Parasite, $3.99 rental on Amazon Prime. I can see why this movie won awards. Very original with a twist. One scene reminded me of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, another of Quentin Tarentino. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue May 19, 2020 6:25 pm

Treasure Island (1990) Charlton Heston, Christian Bale, Oliver Reed, Christopher Lee, Pete Postlethwaite, Nicholas Amer. Directed by Fraser Heston, son of Charlton Heston.

This is a made-for-TV movie from Ted Turner’s TNT cable channel. A great cast in this, the most faithful film adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson‘s timeless classic. There’s a gritty realistic feeling that isn’t present in the other films. I watched my purchased DVD. Recommended.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100813/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu May 21, 2020 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

treadingwater

Post by treadingwater » Tue May 19, 2020 9:59 pm

Recently checked out 2 dvds from the library. 1917 and Dr Sleep. Both suspenseful and held my interest all the way through. Dr Sleep is about the boy in The Shining who has grown up. He's an alcoholic who tries to hide himself from others who have evil powers.. He uses his extra-sensory gift to help people in their transition from life and gets involved in protecting a child who also has powers. 1917 is about 2 young soldiers who get assigned an impossible task to travel through German territory that has supposedly been abandoned to reach a US company and warn them not to attack. Their struggle is exciting, devastating, and well worth watching.
"It never hurts to keep looking for sunshine." - Eeyore

New Providence

Post by New Providence » Fri May 22, 2020 10:45 am

Saw Match Point on HBO.

Reminded me in that in Woody Allen's universe the elite lack moral compass and are mostly driven by their infatuation of young women.

M.Lee

Post by M.Lee » Fri May 22, 2020 10:51 am

ruralavalon wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:19 pm
Rear Window, on Amazon Prime.

This movie stars Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly. A man in a wheelchair with his broken leg in a cast watches his neighbors while recouperating. This is a perfect mystery/thriller for people confined to home.
:D Us old geezers remember that one. Went to see it as a youngster. Maybe I'll watch it again. It was good!

BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest » Fri May 22, 2020 2:21 pm

joe8d wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:23 pm
" Peanut Butter Falcon". A heart warming story.
Yeah, heart warming is right. Rented it on a whim but was better than expected.

GingerandPiper

Post by GingerandPiper » Fri May 22, 2020 2:48 pm

Hello everyone!

Please people; A reminder that the admin requested that the source of the movie you liked be listed. Like "in person", Netflix, etc.

I see some potentially good movies listed but not the source - like did you see it when you were in 9th grade and it cost 25cents to get into the local Bijou...:-)

Ginger

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Fri May 22, 2020 7:50 pm

Boy Erased.

Description: Jared Eamons, the son of a small-town Baptist pastor, must overcome the fallout after being outed as gay to his parents. His father and mother struggle to reconcile their love for their son with their beliefs. Fearing a loss of family, friends and community, Jared is pressured into attending a conversion therapy program. While there, Jared comes into conflict with its leader and begins his journey to finding his own voice and accepting his true self.

Saw on DVD.

Enjoyed the movie. Would say more, but don’t want to get put in the sin bin.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Sun May 24, 2020 4:55 am

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.

Description: Lloyd Vogel is an investigative journalist who receives an assignment to profile Fred Rogers, aka Mr. Rogers. He approaches the interview with skepticism, as he finds it hard to believe that anyone can have such a good nature. But Roger's empathy, kindness and decency soon chips away at Vogel's jaded outlook on life, forcing the reporter to reconcile with his own painful past.

Saw on DVD.

I liked it. A good mix of childhood nostalgia and adult reality. Plus, I like Tom Hanks.

M.Lee

Post by M.Lee » Sun May 24, 2020 6:23 am

The Good Liar. Watched it on Youtube for $2.99. A con artist who meets a wealthy widow online and tries to swindle her out of her money. I liked it!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 24, 2020 7:13 am

"9", Blu-ray DVD, 2009. Tim Burton was one of the producers. A post-apocalyptic animation with a creative plot, very entertaining. Martin Landau, Christopher Plummer, and Crispin Glover were some of the voices. I liked it.

My high-def home theater was happy to finally have something worthy to play (vs. a streaming service).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun May 24, 2020 5:52 pm

Watched Melancholia for the time on Hulu. Definitely not a feel good movie, but there something strangely attractive about it. It is divided into 2 parts. The first part, about a bipolar woman's wedding is so - so, but it is the second part, about another planet heading in the direction or Earth, I like.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun May 24, 2020 6:25 pm

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) Russell Crowe, Paul Bettany, Billy Boyd

During the Napoleonic Wars, a brash British captain pushes his ship and crew to their limits in pursuit of a formidable French war vessel around South America.

A great swashbuckling adventure, I like this period of history. And I never realized what a good actor Russell Crowe is. Recommended. I streamed it on Starz.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0311113/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Excalibur (1981) Nigel Terry, Helen Mirren, Nicholas Clay

Merlin the magician helps Arthur Pendragon unite the Britons around the Round Table of Camelot, even as dark forces conspire to tear it apart.

I never saw this film first time around. It’s a pretty good movie, I enjoyed it. The scene where Arthur pulls the sword from the stone was well done. Merlin was played well by Nicol Williamson. The costuming was nicely done. This is supposed to be faithful to Malory’s original tale. Recommended. I streamed it on Starz. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082348/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Houseboat (1958) Cary Grant, Sophia Loren, Paul Peterson

A widower, his three young children, and a bombshell nanny get to know each other better when circumstances have them living together aboard a badly neglected houseboat.

This is a tedious and boring film. The plot is weak. The only attraction of this film is that you get to look at Sophia Loren. If this doesn’t appeal to you then don’t bother. I streamed it on Starz. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051745/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961) Audrey Hepburn, George Peppard, Patricia Neal, Buddy Ebsen, Mickey Rooney

A young New York socialite becomes interested in a young man who has moved into her apartment building, but her past threatens to get in the way. From a story by Truman Capote.

This is supposed to be a classic and since I never saw it I planted myself on the couch to see what it was all about. I found it to be vacuous and I couldn’t finish watching it, though Buddy Ebsen was good. Supposedly this film role prompted his casting as Jed in The Beverly Hillbillies.

It has a disturbing racist caricature of a Japanese man played by Mickey Rooney which was meant to be funny. Also the protagonist Holly Golightly mistreats a cat at the end, though I didn’t see that bit as I had turned it off. The only value of this film is as an historical artifact. Avoid. I streamed it on Starz. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054698/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Blue Note Records: Beyond the Notes (2018) Ambrose Akinmusire, Art Blakey, Clifford Brown

A revelatory, thrilling and emotional journey behind the scenes of Blue Note Records, the pioneering label that gave voice to some of the finest jazz artists of the 20th and 21st centuries.

A good documentary. I didn’t know anything about Blue Note Records before seeing this film. It has some good jazz performances too. Recommended. I streamed it on Starz. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6106822/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon May 25, 2020 9:31 am, edited 6 times in total.

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:18 pm

Mystic River on Netflix. The movie was excellent!
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Sun May 24, 2020 8:19 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:18 pm
That movie depressed me so much that I told my wife I'm never going to see anything like it again. I'm not saying it wasn't a good movie. But I don't need to intentionally make myself depressed. Just saying.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Sun May 24, 2020 8:22 pm

I have all of the Harry Potter films recorded, and we've watched the first two in the past week. I really enjoyed them, as I did the books. (As a musician and composer, I listen to the score as well as watch the movie, so it's not unusual for me to say to my wife, "That's Snape music," or "Look out for Voldemort!")
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun May 24, 2020 9:20 pm

Jazztonight wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:19 pm
abuss368 wrote:
That movie depressed me so much that I told my wife I'm never going to see anything like it again. I'm not saying it wasn't a good movie. But I don't need to intentionally make myself depressed. Just saying.
I've stopped even trying to watch depressing movies, quite a while ago.
Ditto for violence.
I don't "need" (or even remotely want) to deal with "more of either", by choice.
There is too much else out there to experience and enjoy!

DH doesn't care for much of that, but for the few movies like that he does want to watch, he can watch it alone here at home while I do <something else> or, in the days when there were movie theatres (remember those!?), he would sometimes go with his sister, who lives in a nearby town.
[So then he could be depressed by the movie AND his sister... :( ]

I don't understand what the "draw" is for either category.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Mon May 25, 2020 8:32 am

Nicolas wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:25 pm

Blue Note Records: Beyond the Notes (2018) Ambrose Akinmusire, Art Blakey, Clifford Brown

A revelatory, thrilling and emotional journey behind the scenes of Blue Note Records, the pioneering label that gave voice to some of the finest jazz artists of the 20th and 21st centuries.

A good documentary. I didn’t know anything about Blue Note Records before seeing this film. It has some good jazz performances too. Recommended. I streamed it on Starz. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6106822/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1
Thanks for posting this! I added it to my queue! :happy

duke33

Post by duke33 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:50 am

May be more value to putting this in a "list form" so as to not have to go through all pages?

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Mon May 25, 2020 8:57 am

Watched Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. An older movie but very entertaining. Free on most cable "On demand" platforms.

Tim

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon May 25, 2020 9:04 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:20 pm
Jazztonight wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:19 pm
abuss368 wrote:
I've stopped even trying to watch depressing movies, quite a while ago.
Ditto for violence.
I don't "need" (or even remotely want) to deal with "more of either", by choice.
There is too much else out there to experience and enjoy!

DH doesn't care for much of that, but for the few movies like that he does want to watch, he can watch it alone here at home while I do <something else> or, in the days when there were movie theatres (remember those!?), he would sometimes go with his sister, who lives in a nearby town.
[So then he could be depressed by the movie AND his sister... :( ]

I don't understand what the "draw" is for either category.

RM
+1

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 » Mon May 25, 2020 9:58 am

The Trip to Greece, the 4th (and final?) of the Trip series with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon. Wonderful.

All 4 of these films are great, but the original "Trip" is just incredible. The competitive Michael Caine and Sean Connery impressions are alone worth watching. The travelogue is wonderful, and the casual presentations of some incredible cuisine are mouth watering.

M.Lee

Post by M.Lee » Mon May 25, 2020 10:07 am

Parasite (Xfinity stream). Just looked and several of you here have watched and liked it as did I.

One comment in the movie hit home for me. This may not be exact words. When the son asks his father what his plan is, the father responds.... "What kind of plan never fails. No plan". Interesting and meaningful to me, especially related to finances.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue May 26, 2020 11:28 am

Scotch: A Golden Dream (2018) Director: Andrew Peat

An impressive bottle of fine Scotch is in your hand. From barley to barrel, who made it and how did they do it?

A recommended documentary if you enjoy or are curious about scotch whisky. One criticism about the film is that a good portion actually centers on Jim McEwan, a distiller and master blender. He’s an enjoyable guy with a charismatic personality so I didn’t mind. You’ll learn a lot about scotch.

The biggest eye-opener for me was that very old whisky is no better than merely old whisky. It was explained that whisky is at its peak between ten and twenty years old. The older stuff is so expensive not because it’s better, but just because it’s rarer. After the passage of so much time the “angels’ share” has depleted the quantities and also more of it was drunk when it was younger, so less is available. But it’s no better!

It struck me as funny that the director’s name is “Andrew Peat”.

I streamed it on Hulu.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6453158/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue May 26, 2020 1:37 pm

"Mitt" on Netflix. Was good.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Tue May 26, 2020 7:31 pm

Off the Menu

Foodie movie where an heir to a Mexican fast food empire (in which he
has little interest) is sent to New Mexico to search out authentic and
popular recipes to help bolster the company which is lagging in sales.
Boy meets girl, the inevitable misunderstanding, reconciliation, and a
happy, smiley, ending. Though I am having some fun with this, the film
was actually pretty good. Foodies will enjoy. Viewed on Amazon Prime.

Post by 1789 » Wed May 27, 2020 1:08 pm

Road biking is my biggest hobby. So i watched

Pantani: The Accidental Death of a Cyclist (2014) (AMZN prime)
Stop at Nothing: The Lance Armstrong Story (2014) (AMZN prime)

I recommend everyone who are cyclists.
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)

turno77

Post by turno77 » Wed May 27, 2020 1:15 pm

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Jackie Brown
American Gangster
The Sandlot
The Sandlot 2

Going through Starz movies before I cancel my channel subscription through Amazon.

Godot

Post by Godot » Wed May 27, 2020 7:37 pm

The Platform. Thinking person's horror film. Echoes of Beckett (not Thomas). Challenging at times to watch, which is one more reason to watch it.
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri May 29, 2020 3:47 pm

Just Go With It, on Netflix.

This movie is another nice, unserious, romantic comedy starring Adam Sandler and Jennifer Anniston. A middle-aged plastic surgeon pretends he is a divorced man with 2 children, while pursuing a much younger woman. I recommend this movie.

This movie mimics the plot of the 1970s classic, Cactus Flower.

PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco » Fri May 29, 2020 4:07 pm

The Scarlet and the Black, on Amazon Prime Video.

Based on a true story, about an Irish priest working in the Vatican in WW2 who saves escaped Allied POWs while Rome is under the control of the Nazis. Excellent cast. Gregory Peck plays the priest. Christopher Plummer plays the Nazi colonel in charge of Rome - I had to overcome some cognitive dissonance at this casting, but he was, of course, exceptional. John Gielgud plays the Pope.

A great find! Full of old-fashioned heroism. Highly recommended.
If you're not working on yourself, you're not working.

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri May 29, 2020 4:43 pm

"Innocent" with Bill Pullman on Hulu. Enjoyed it.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Fri May 29, 2020 5:53 pm

PhoebeCoco wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:07 pm
The Scarlet and the Black, on Amazon Prime Video.

Based on a true story, about an Irish priest working in the Vatican in WW2 who saves escaped Allied POWs while Rome is under the control of the Nazis. Excellent cast. Gregory Peck plays the priest. Christopher Plummer plays the Nazi colonel in charge of Rome - I had to overcome some cognitive dissonance at this casting, but he was, of course, exceptional. John Gielgud plays the Pope.

A great find! Full of old-fashioned heroism. Highly recommended.
Thanks for posting! Added this to my queue. :happy

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri May 29, 2020 8:28 pm

“Good Will Hunting” on Hulu.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 31, 2020 3:36 pm

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, on DVD (not Blu-ray), released in 2011. A reporter is asked to find a missing woman.

Daniel Craig as the lead character. Very well produced. It kept my interest to the end. I liked it.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Sun May 31, 2020 3:44 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:36 pm
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, on DVD (not Blu-ray), released in 2011. A reporter is asked to find a missing woman.

Daniel Craig as the lead character. Very well produced. It kept my interest to the end. I liked it.
+1

I really liked this movie as well. Interesting plot and character development.

geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos » Sun May 31, 2020 3:50 pm

We watched Molly‘s game on Netflix, and it’s really good. Also watched edge of tomorrow on demand, had seen it before, but was a good action movie
VTSAX and chill

geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos » Sun May 31, 2020 3:53 pm

Also watched uncut gems on Netflix, and thought that was a really interesting story although tough to watch at times. Reminded me of a Shakespeare tragedy
VTSAX and chill

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun May 31, 2020 4:07 pm

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:44 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:36 pm

+1

I really liked this movie as well. Interesting plot and character development.
I remember reading all of the books in about a week a decade or so ago. The original Swedish films are sort of cheesy, but the stories are really fast-moving and interesting. I can't believe I've never watched the American version.

telemark

Post by telemark » Sun May 31, 2020 4:26 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:28 am
It struck me as funny that the directors name is Andrew Peat.
Nominative determinism. It's everywhere...

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux » Sun May 31, 2020 6:21 pm

The Love Birds on Netflix

https://www.netflix.com/watch/81248748? ... 2%2C%2C%2C

Not quite the same ole cookie cutter movie. The actors came across as real & likeable. If you like romantic comedies this is a must see. I really liked it.