What kind of sunglasses?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
oldfort
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:45 pm

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by oldfort » Tue May 19, 2020 11:35 am

Maui Jim or Oakleys. An optometrist told me no one can see through your eyes but you. On a similar note, your best strategy, unless you need prescription sunglasses, is to go a store and try on a lot of different brands.

Wyatt007
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:50 pm

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by Wyatt007 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:36 am

KT785 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:23 am
While I have a pair of Ray-Bans that I keep in my car (received as a gift), my main go-to for sunglasses are made by Goodr. They're designed/marketed as running sunglasses (they're lightweight and don't slip or bounce) but ultimately, they're just simple and relatively inexpensive (around $25) polarized sunglasses.

While I run 50+ miles a week with mine (I have several pair), my wife and mom also wear them because of how comfortable they are. Added benefit is that if I lose or break them while on a run, it's not as painful as a $100+ pair of Ray-Ban, etc.

If you're looking to try on a pair, I'd call around to your local running stores as most carry the brand in my experience.

KT785
+1 for Goodr. After losing my favorite pair of Raybans on a golf course and then having a second pair spontaneously break in half, I have switched to these and been very pleased.

UALflyer
Posts: 592
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:42 am

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by UALflyer » Tue May 19, 2020 12:27 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:19 pm
Anyway, for the OP, if you're going to step up away from gas station shades, definitely look for something with polarized lenses.
Polarized lenses are great, but there are also downsides to them, which is the reason that many high end sunglasses intentionally do not include polarization. Polarization helps to reduce glare, but affects depth perception. Hence, the reason that a lot of sports that use balls (baseball, golf, etc...) tend not to use polarized lenses, which can make it harder to judge the location of the ball. The same is frequently true for cycling and mountain biking. Tennis players who do use sunglasses frequently opt for the non-polarized ones as well (particularly since glare tends not to be a significant issue in tennis).

Swarm Trap
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:29 am

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by Swarm Trap » Tue May 19, 2020 1:18 pm

I really like the Maui Jim Twin Falls. Yes, these are double your budget, but they are so comfortable and the lenses cannot be beat. Unfortunately I lose glasses all the time, and can't justify replacing them. An alternative for me that works well are Suncloud sunglasses. I like their brown or rose lenses. These make great dusk and dawn lenses. I do not like dark lenses. You must try them on though. Having glasses that fit properly is more important than having great lenses. You'd likely have a retailer near you, but i'm not sure how that works now. Happy hunting!

RonSwanson
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:15 pm

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by RonSwanson » Tue May 19, 2020 1:21 pm

Maui Jim for the win!

livesoft
Posts: 71476
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by livesoft » Tue May 19, 2020 1:25 pm

I bought some Maui Jim's after lots of recommendations here in the past. Mine are prescription, progressive, polarized, extra dark, wrap-around, and the rest of the works. They cost a small fortune, but they are the best pair of glasses I have ever had. Part of that might be that I had a great eye exam and got a superb prescription even though I've been to the same doctor for 25 years. Another part is that these sunglasses are the only pair of glasses that I get compliments about when I wear them.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

xtracrispy1031
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:05 pm

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by xtracrispy1031 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:48 pm

Ray Ban Wayfarers all day. Timeless, classic. Look good now and in another 20 years.

likegarden
Posts: 2989
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by likegarden » Tue May 19, 2020 2:02 pm

Several years ago I had cataract surgery on both eyes. The eye surgeon gave me some utility type sunglasses to get the eyes used to the change. Months later I upgraded to a wrap around and 99% or so polarized pair I saw at a gas station, cost me less than $20. Next visit at the eye surgeon I showed him my new sun glasses and he fully approved.

crumbgrabber
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:28 am

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by crumbgrabber » Tue May 19, 2020 2:39 pm

Wyatt007 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:36 am
KT785 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:23 am
While I have a pair of Ray-Bans that I keep in my car (received as a gift), my main go-to for sunglasses are made by Goodr. They're designed/marketed as running sunglasses (they're lightweight and don't slip or bounce) but ultimately, they're just simple and relatively inexpensive (around $25) polarized sunglasses.

While I run 50+ miles a week with mine (I have several pair), my wife and mom also wear them because of how comfortable they are. Added benefit is that if I lose or break them while on a run, it's not as painful as a $100+ pair of Ray-Ban, etc.

If you're looking to try on a pair, I'd call around to your local running stores as most carry the brand in my experience.

KT785
+1 for Goodr. After losing my favorite pair of Raybans on a golf course and then having a second pair spontaneously break in half, I have switched to these and been very pleased.
Goodr’s are great! Another benefit of these is that they’re unisex and they happen to fit both my wife and I. We have 4-5 pairs in various places (cars, bags) and it works well to have pairs handy and interchangeable between us.

kevinf
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by kevinf » Tue May 19, 2020 6:33 pm

davebo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:07 am
Maui Jim's seem to be pretty popular! I am not specifically looking for name brand sunglasses, but here is what I've noticed about buying cheap ones:

1) They scratch more easily/they break more easily.
2) They are too dark for me. Not sure if this is because they are cheap or what. I find myself lifting the glasses up a lot.
  • High-end sunglasses will have a quality scratch-resistant coating if plastic or be made of glass that doesn't scratch easily.
  • High-end sunglasses will have a quality anti-reflective coating on the backside of the lens to reduce the washout or glare effect that makes glasses seem too dark.

bloom2708
Posts: 7767
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by bloom2708 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:23 am

"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

rec630
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:39 am

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by rec630 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:33 pm

I used to always wear RayBans after I moved up from the really cheap pairs. It is amazing what a quality pair of sunglasses can do for your vision. And now Maui Jims have replaced my RayBans even though pricey. Biggest complaint is when my lens RX changes, it can be difficult to get new lenses if the model has been discontinued.

batpot
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by batpot » Thu May 21, 2020 10:38 pm

Dubery brand, China special from Amazon

batpot
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by batpot » Thu May 21, 2020 10:40 pm

crumbgrabber wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:39 pm
Wyatt007 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:36 am
KT785 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:23 am
While I have a pair of Ray-Bans that I keep in my car (received as a gift), my main go-to for sunglasses are made by Goodr. They're designed/marketed as running sunglasses (they're lightweight and don't slip or bounce) but ultimately, they're just simple and relatively inexpensive (around $25) polarized sunglasses.

While I run 50+ miles a week with mine (I have several pair), my wife and mom also wear them because of how comfortable they are. Added benefit is that if I lose or break them while on a run, it's not as painful as a $100+ pair of Ray-Ban, etc.

If you're looking to try on a pair, I'd call around to your local running stores as most carry the brand in my experience.

KT785
+1 for Goodr. After losing my favorite pair of Raybans on a golf course and then having a second pair spontaneously break in half, I have switched to these and been very pleased.
Goodr’s are great! Another benefit of these is that they’re unisex and they happen to fit both my wife and I. We have 4-5 pairs in various places (cars, bags) and it works well to have pairs handy and interchangeable between us.
Thanks!
I'll try these when my daily drivers eventually get scratched or crushed beyond repair.

cogito
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:12 am

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by cogito » Thu May 21, 2020 11:15 pm

KT785 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:23 am
While I have a pair of Ray-Bans that I keep in my car (received as a gift), my main go-to for sunglasses are made by Goodr. They're designed/marketed as running sunglasses (they're lightweight and don't slip or bounce) but ultimately, they're just simple and relatively inexpensive (around $25) polarized sunglasses.

KT785
+1

Wirecutter did an article on great, cheap sunglasses, I ended up purchasing two pairs from goodr, and I like them more than my expensive Raybans that fell apart.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... unglasses/

FrankLUSMC
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:43 pm

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by FrankLUSMC » Fri May 22, 2020 8:26 am

I've had several pair of these, my last pair has lasted 3 years.
A Female Veteran owned company.

EpochEyeWear.com

Inexpensive and cover the whole range.

capsaicinguy
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:00 am

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by capsaicinguy » Fri May 22, 2020 8:37 am

I had worn Oakley's for a long time. I had gotten used to their misaligned polarized lenses and the "plutonite" plastic lenses scratching as soon as you touched them. Misaligned meaning you had to tilt your head to one side and the right lense polarized filter would cut in, then tilt it to the left and the left lense would cut in. Drove me bonkers. Then about 6 years ago I got a pair of Costa's with their glass lenses. Hallelujah! Polarizing is perfect and I have yet to scratch their glass lenses. Allegedly the glass lenses are heavier. Haven't noticed a thing. I'll never go back. You can get deals on them on ebay. Just me .02.

tea_pirate
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:29 am

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by tea_pirate » Fri May 22, 2020 8:47 am

I like Spy Optic for a reasonably priced, quality brand that is NOT Luxottica.

I also like that Spy offers non-polarized versions of all their lenses. This is a stark contrast to the "POLARIZE EVERYTHING" fetishists like Maui Jim. I like the look of their shades, but I'll never buy a pair because I can't stand polarization.

https://www.govx.com/ has pretty steep discounts on most of the brands mentioned in this thread for current full-time government employees, military (plus retired), police, and first responders.

wootwoot
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:37 pm

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by wootwoot » Fri May 22, 2020 8:49 am

Ray-Ban

StrawMan
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:51 am

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by StrawMan » Fri May 22, 2020 9:09 am

I buy whatever is cheap and has solid ratings on Amazon or eBay- current pair cost about $14 and are going on 2 years.

Unless I need glasses with a specific rating, I don’t see the need on spending much.

Superleaf444
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:12 am

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by Superleaf444 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:12 am

runner3081 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:45 pm
7eight9 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:38 pm
Ray-Ban is likely a solid choice.

https://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasses/view-all/plp
I disagree. You are buying a brand, not a quality product.

Check out then polarized sunglasses from Costco, Kirkland Signature. $30 and are very good for the price.

I am a huge fan of Maui Jim. They are out of your price range, but you can buy older models at a Costco for around $100.
While I currently don't own a pair of Ray-Ban, I think they are a quality product. I've had a pair survive of the floor of a mosh pit. Literally groups of people were jumping on them and they were not damaged. TBH they are the best pair of glasses I've ever owned, but fwiw my insurance covered them at the time.

Luke Duke
Posts: 1003
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:44 am
Location: Texas

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by Luke Duke » Fri May 22, 2020 9:29 am

I tried on a pair of my friend's Maui Jims several years ago and I've wanted a pair ever since. However, I can't make myself spend that much on a pair of sunglasses. I got a couple of pair of Shady Rays (https://shadyrays.com/) and I've been relatively happy. They're inexpensive and they have a great replacement policy.

Chrono Triggered
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:55 pm

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by Chrono Triggered » Fri May 22, 2020 2:53 pm

Helios wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:07 pm
Serengeti Sunglasses
+1

I have an amber Dante and it's my favorite pair.
Last edited by Chrono Triggered on Fri May 22, 2020 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldfort
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:45 pm

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by oldfort » Fri May 22, 2020 4:56 pm

capsaicinguy wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:37 am
I had worn Oakley's for a long time. I had gotten used to their misaligned polarized lenses and the "plutonite" plastic lenses scratching as soon as you touched them. Misaligned meaning you had to tilt your head to one side and the right lense polarized filter would cut in, then tilt it to the left and the left lense would cut in. Drove me bonkers. Then about 6 years ago I got a pair of Costa's with their glass lenses. Hallelujah! Polarizing is perfect and I have yet to scratch their glass lenses. Allegedly the glass lenses are heavier. Haven't noticed a thing. I'll never go back. You can get deals on them on ebay. Just me .02.
There is some safety risk with true glass. Glass can shatter, when polycarbonate won't, and if those fragments get into your eye, you can have permanent vision loss.

BrownEyedGirl_27
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:37 pm

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:56 pm

I have a polarized pair from Warby Parker and love them. The brand is direct to consumer. The return policy is great! Without prescription they’d be at the higher end of your price range. I wear prescription so I used my HSA to pay for them. Worth every penny!

If you want cheap but prescription polarized you can try Zennioptical. They have non-prescription as well.
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig

krafty81
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:01 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by krafty81 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:49 pm

Maui Jim has readers! I never buy anything else. Nobody has better service, IMO, they will fix any problems you have.

HANK1964
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:37 am
Location: Cape Cod

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by HANK1964 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:56 am

I love Randolph Aviator sunglasses and have worn them for the past 50+ years. I bought my most recent pair on Amazon and do not recall the price. My only problem with my recent pair is keeping them on when I lean over. I believe the frame may come in different widths, not sure if this is the proper term, so be sure to know the width by having the width measured by an eyeglass tech at Walmart Or wherever you buy your regular glasses before ordering from Amazon. By width I am referring to the distance across the front excluding the temples.

User avatar
Horton
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by Horton » Mon May 25, 2020 9:36 am

I wear Costa's and my wife wears Maui Jim's. I had one pair of Costa that began to fall apart. They were discontinued, but I called their customer service and was able to select a new pair for free.

Post Reply