family cabin planning through generations

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Olds33

family cabin planning through generations

Post by Olds33 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:18 am

My parents (age early 60's) own a seasonal lake home which has been the family cabin since 1981. The cabin is titled joint ownership in my parents names. My brother and I both grew up spending time there. My brother and I (age 30's) are now both married with children of our own. We all live in Minnesota. My parents want to pass the cabin to both of us eventually. They are recently retired & doing estate planning. They created a trust & the cabin is in it. They/we are trying to plan ahead with respect to the cabin and passing it to the next generation.

Should we consider re-title-ing the cabin in my parents AND my brothers & I names? Should we be considering a LLC? One of the concerns is the potential for their health care costs such as nursing home in the future being a threat to the cabin remaining in the family. What other potential variables should we be considering/discussing? Thanks

Professor Emeritus

Re: family cabin planning through generations

Post by Professor Emeritus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:42 am

Olds33 wrote: One of the concerns is the potential for their health care costs such as nursing home in the future being a threat to the cabin remaining in the family.
Is your concern the cabin or the value of the cabin? These are two different issues You can buy the cabin at any time and Medicaid will be perfectly happy. But if your plan is to qualify them for Medicaid and keep the value of the cabin (thus shifting costs to the taxpayers) that is an entirely different issue.

cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:37 am

We have family property on the shore of a New England state. The cabin was built in 1922 by my grandfather. We had 38 acres of surrounding land and ~1300 feet of water frontage. Our parents gave the property to their 3 sons (my two brothers and me) in 1976. The three of us spent 20 years trying to divide the property, which was a painful, frustrating and expensive process. We ended up working with a mediator / attorney. The attorney's practice deals with many family real estate issues.

This attorney strongly recommends passing / giving such property to one individual rather than have it pass through the generations to an ever larger number of heirs. In his experience it is not so much the second generation owners who are the problems, because they grew up as siblings with a shared experience of the vacation property. It is the third generation (cousins). By time you've got 7 or 8 cousins sharing the ownership, there are always problems managing the property. In his experience (though probably exaggerated), out of 8 co-owners, 3 have the money to maintain the property but don't use it, 3 use it and love it, but don't have the money to maintain it, 1 may be living in an ashram in India and impossible to reach, and one may have a legal judgement against them which encumbers the property.

Yes, I've heard it is possible to set up ownership of these properties in an LLC. You need to have a mechanism by which LLC shareholders who can't or won't pay for maintenance or improvement not to block needed work, but to lose fractional shares to compensate those shareholders who must therefore pay more than their share for the work. There is also some legal and administrative overhead that must be provided. With enough assets in place this should work out. The Forbes family has held Naushon Island off of Cape Cod for 150 years, owned and administered by a family trust, and it seems to work for them. My one friend who has a family vacation cabin which was put into an LLC by his mother says she regrets having done so.
Last edited by cadreamer2015 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
De gustibus non est disputandum

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:21 am

What kind of financial position are your parents in?

Do you want to be in business with your brother?

feh

Post by feh » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:52 pm

cadreamer2015 wrote: This attorney strongly recommends passing / giving such property to one individual rather than have it pass through the generations
This sounds like excellent advice.

My grandparents left their cabin to their 3 children, who often did not get along. Lots of unnecessary drama ensued...eventually, one child bought out the other two, but not before lots of hurt feelings.

Joint ownership of real estate by non-spouses seems like asking for trouble.
Last edited by feh on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:30 pm

feh wrote:
cadreamer2015 wrote: This attorney strongly recommends passing / giving such property to one individual rather than have it pass through the generations
This sounds like excellent advice.

My grandparents left their cabin to their 3 children, who often did not get along. Lots of unnecessary drama ensued...eventually, one child bought out the other two, but not before lots of hurt feelings.

Joint ownership of real estate my non-spouses seems like asking for trouble.
+1

Co-owning property with my family would be a special kind of hell. When my mom died my brother was convinced that putting her condo into vacation rental service (La Jolla Shores in San Diego) would be a great idea. Given that my brother had already filed BK once, had been in some sort of form of foreclosure for the last 10 years and had a FICO score of less than 500 I knew how that equation would work. :oops:

J295

Post by J295 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:36 pm

One owner is best for the reasons stated and some other additional reasons.

I am not a fan of joint titles between parents and adult children. Consider the ramifications of OP and sibling becoming joint owners along with parents .... and then OP or sibling have financial and/or marital problems. All of a sudden a bankruptcy trustee, creditor, or soon to be ex-spouse is claiming financial interests in the OP/sibling share of the cabin.

If your parents want to do estate and/or elder planning they should see and experienced attorney.

Good luck.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:42 pm

However the "ownership" of the cabin is done, one (in my opinion vital) matter/issue to address is any kind of possible/potential liability of ownership/use. I suspect the kind(s) of insurance available and appropriate may depend on the details of ownership/use as well. I would not "assume" (for example) that a particular type of insurance already held would cover the cabin - so I think many details may be important to this matter.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:09 pm

dm200 wrote:However the "ownership" of the cabin is done, one (in my opinion vital) matter/issue to address is any kind of possible/potential liability of ownership/use. I suspect the kind(s) of insurance available and appropriate may depend on the details of ownership/use as well. I would not "assume" (for example) that a particular type of insurance already held would cover the cabin - so I think many details may be important to this matter.
If they go the LLC route they'll need a commercial package.

Individual can be handled with a second home package + probably an umbrella especially for high NW. I think the OP is a young physician. One thing to look out for is whether the cabin stays vacant for more than 30 days; many insurance companies won't cover. It's one of the reasons we put our cabin in vacation rental service. Otherwise a high probability for problems such as vandalism and/or plumbing issues.

gogleheads.orb

Post by gogleheads.orb » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:32 pm

Just have them gift it to you and your brother over time.

I own a family vacation home with my brother. It is kind of a pain, He doesn't do much of the work, but it isn't too bad. Probably because I have no doubt that he will pay for his share of the costs.

bbrock

Post by bbrock » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:09 pm

Ensure your relations are good with your family member/brother if it is going to be titled in both of your names. I own a cabin with my brother that we inherited from our parents. We are both married, but I am married w/ kids. Our relations have gone south over the years, and both my wife and I attribute it to the affect his wife and his MIL have had on him. We still talk and all that, but it always comes up that he wants me to buy him out of his share, and I tell him that is not my priority with my money at this time. I tell him that he did not pay the money to buy his share of the cabin, but yet he wants to cash out so he doesn't need to "think about the cabin anymore." I tell him that I am the sole person that has been paying everything to keep it up/maintain it for the last 13 years. So, personally, not much to think about from his perspective. Whatever the case, our parents passed it to us as tenants in common. His latest thing is he wants to pass it to his nephews (our twins). But, yet, he wants me to do the leg work to find out how to do that. Yes, I can own it free and clear of him on the other hand to my benefit, but I just don't care to transfer money to him for it only to get transferred back to me or my kids/his nephews when he/his wife die, as supposedly he has said that things will go to either us or his nephews.

As you can see, when you own property, even with a family member, things can get dicey. My BIG recommendation is that one of you holds title to the property. Find something of equal or similar value for the other brother to inherit. Things always change in the future, even relations that your may think are rock solid.
bbrock

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:34 am

cadreamer2015 wrote:This attorney strongly recommends passing / giving such property to one individual rather than have it pass through the generations to an ever larger number of heirs. In his experience it is not so much the second generation owners who are the problems, because they grew up as siblings with a shared experience of the vacation property. It is the third generation (cousins). By time you've got 7 or 8 cousins sharing the ownership, there are always problems managing the property. In his experience (though probably exaggerated), out of 8 co-owners, 3 have the money to maintain the property but don't use it, 3 use it and love it, but don't have the money to maintain it, 1 may be living in an ashram in India and impossible to reach, and one may have a legal judgement against them which encumbers the property.
I have a friend who has had a piece of hunting property in his family for 125+ years. He told me that the only reason that it has remained in his family for that long is because there has always been one sibling in each generation that has had the means and desire to buy out the other siblings. His mother currently owns the property, but lets her cousins and their families use it.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:44 am

cadreamer2015 wrote:We have family property on the shore of a New England state. The cabin was built in 1922 by my grandfather. We had 38 acres of surrounding land and ~1300 feet of water frontage. Our parents gave the property to their 3 sons (my two brothers and me) in 1976. The three of us spent 20 years trying to divide the property, which was a painful, frustrating and expensive process. We ended up working with a mediator / attorney. The attorney's practice deals with many family real estate issues.

This attorney strongly recommends passing / giving such property to one individual rather than have it pass through the generations to an ever larger number of heirs. In his experience it is not so much the second generation owners who are the problems, because they grew up as siblings with a shared experience of the vacation property. It is the third generation (cousins). By time you've got 7 or 8 cousins sharing the ownership, there are always problems managing the property. In his experience (though probably exaggerated), out of 8 co-owners, 3 have the money to maintain the property but don't use it, 3 use it and love it, but don't have the money to maintain it, 1 may be living in an ashram in India and impossible to reach, and one may have a legal judgement against them which encumbers the property.

Yes, I've heard it is possible to set up ownership of these properties in an LLC. You need to have a mechanism by which LLC shareholders who can't or won't pay for maintenance or improvement not to block needed work, but to lose fractional shares to compensate those shareholders who must therefore pay more than their share for the work. There is also some legal and administrative overhead that must be provided. With enough assets in place this should work out. The Forbes family has held Naushon Island off of Cape Cod for 150 years, owned and administered by a family trust, and it seems to work for them. My one friend who has a family vacation cabin which was put into an LLC by his mother says she regrets having done so.
This seems like outstanding advice.

The other consideration is that our society is far more mobile than it was 100 years ago. My grandparents were all raised and died within 300 miles of their birthplaces (50 miles in 2 cases). Meanwhile both my sister and I live more than 1500 miles from my parents, and about 1000 miles from each other. Even though we get along well, a family cabin back home would make no sense. We might love it but would never be able to use it. My brother in law's father has a cabin and his 3 kids live 2, 5, and 6 states away; the cabin will be sold eventually and money distributed because it does not make sense to maintain a cabin on an island in northern Minnesota that the various children can only use a week per year each.

I've wanted to have a cabin locally but each time I think about whether my kids would use it as adults, it makes less and less sense. I hope my children will become citizens of the world; that they'll travel and see the world, not be tied down to a cabin in the woods where their dad had a job.

bbrock

Post by bbrock » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:14 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
cadreamer2015 wrote:We have family property on the shore of a New England state. The cabin was built in 1922 by my grandfather. We had 38 acres of surrounding land and ~1300 feet of water frontage. Our parents gave the property to their 3 sons (my two brothers and me) in 1976. The three of us spent 20 years trying to divide the property, which was a painful, frustrating and expensive process. We ended up working with a mediator / attorney. The attorney's practice deals with many family real estate issues.

This seems like outstanding advice.

The other consideration is that our society is far more mobile than it was 100 years ago. My grandparents were all raised and died within 300 miles of their birthplaces (50 miles in 2 cases). Meanwhile both my sister and I live more than 1500 miles from my parents, and about 1000 miles from each other. Even though we get along well, a family cabin back home would make no sense. We might love it but would never be able to use it. My brother in law's father has a cabin and his 3 kids live 2, 5, and 6 states away; the cabin will be sold eventually and money distributed because it does not make sense to maintain a cabin on an island in northern Minnesota that the various children can only use a week per year each.

I've wanted to have a cabin locally but each time I think about whether my kids would use it as adults, it makes less and less sense. I hope my children will become citizens of the world; that they'll travel and see the world, not be tied down to a cabin in the woods where their dad had a job.
How's it going letsgobobby? Your last paragraph sums up some of my feelings exactly. Although I love the cabin as does my wife, as you can tell from my post in this thread my brother is impartial to it. While I know our kids would enjoy it, our usage of it will be less as they age over the years when they start school and then with all their sporting activities. Not to mention, now that we live 6 to 7 hours away at most we're probably using it twice a year.

The part where I relate to your last paragraph is in that I feel the burden/chains of the property in having to manage it, & having to use it when there's time off vs. traveling elsewhere. There's always the possibility of renting it out, but that would take some work to get the property rental ready. I'm sure I'm speaking for my wife also, but in some aspects when our kids become young adults I don't want them weighed down/burdened with having to manage/maintain the property especially if they don't live nearby.
bbrock

eschaef

Post by eschaef » Fri May 01, 2015 9:20 am

The Yuengling brewery is the oldest brewery in America and it is family-owned. They have succeeded because only one person in each generation is chosen to inherit the business. It eliminates the long-term (and inevitable, I believe) hassle of split ownership between many stakeholders with various interests and means.

Of course, then there is the hassle of working out who gets to use it and how the non-owners reimburse the owner for that use. But that seems more like a present-day hassle that can be solved in many ways rather than a long-term hassle with no good, or quick, solution.

Of course if there is no one that can feasibly take on full ownership, then the various joint ownership options must come back into play.

*Edited to add*

I believe my mother's friend has an issue with a vacation house that is shared among cousins at this point. The original owner left a trust to cover annual expenses. Years down the road though, there are unforeseen expenses that must be addressed and much difficulty in determining how. Having money in a trust helped delay the squabbles, but did not eliminate them.

a2_alice

Post by a2_alice » Fri May 01, 2015 1:05 pm

+1 for not titling it to you and your brother.

My family watched my uncle (by marriage) go through this with a lakefront cabin in a New England state that his parents left to their four children. One brother never wanted anything to do with it and died young. One sister never managed her finances well and never contributed anything to the cabin's upkeep, but expected that she and her family would be allowed the same vacationing privileges as my uncle and his remaining brother. Finally she let them buy her out because she needed the money, but still retained an entitled attitude to use the property because "that's what their parents wanted." Now it was down to my uncle and his brother. The brother decided he wanted to retire early and live there full-time, but couldn't afford to buy out my uncle. After much argument they decided to tear down the old property and build a new duplex-style house so that both brothers and their families could enjoy it. Turns out the brother hated being retired, went back to work in town so he couldn't live at the lake house anymore, and now they had to sell it because of the huge mortgage. Oh, and no one wanted to buy a duplex lake house so it took forever to sell and went for well below what they hoped to get. This process happened over 20+ years and the siblings all had good relationships when they inherited the property.

bbrock

Post by bbrock » Fri May 01, 2015 2:03 pm

a2_alice, yes, that is a great recounting of how it gets dicey with multiple parties with different interests owning an inherited property. Wow, build the duplex, but then have to sell b/c of the situation. Yeah, sounds like that caused some strife in the relations.
bbrock

GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover » Fri May 22, 2020 11:20 am

I am looking at this issue now for my mother's vacation house. Current thought is to have it owned by an LLC and set aside enough $$ on her death to cover expenses indefinitely. LLC agreement would lay out how the property is managed/used, and would allow for sales/transfers of LLC interests only among her descendants. Has anybody else taken this approach or anything similar?

illumination

Post by illumination » Fri May 22, 2020 11:54 am

My in-laws had an inherited cabin among siblings and it was a constant source of bitterness that went for decades. One of the siblings was smart enough to be bought out and got her own a few blocks away while the rest fought about it. These were all highly educated, successful people, not broke, desperate people fighting over scraps.

I'd really try and and figure out a way to not split the ownership. Either sell and split it or have one buy you out. Maybe then insist on paying rent if the other ever wants to borrow it.

I thought my brother and I were both reasonable people when we got an investment, rental property together. The driving force to sell the place was not having to interact with my brother anymore on it. When two people have 50/50 ownership, how do you make decisions when both parties dig their heels in?

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Fri May 22, 2020 12:26 pm

Another vote for one person inherits it/buys everybody else out or it gets sold.

For our family mountain cabin I bought out one relative over a decade ago but the last one wants a 50% premium for their share, so I'm essentially waiting until they die. Their sole heir lives 1500 miles away & knowing them will be more reasonable on the buyout price.

I hardly ever use the cabin...primarily I keep it going for the children of the relative I bought out as they use it regularly but also do nearly all of the maintenance as their contribution.

praxis

Post by praxis » Fri May 22, 2020 12:39 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Saving-Family-Co ... oks&sr=1-8

This is a common question. The answer depends on the family. My parents searched for an answer to smoothly leave their cabin to their four kids and finally sold it and left us equal shares. I grew up in lake country in Minnesota and we all loved our cabin. Many of our friends' families had cabins and by now, most of those cabins have been passed on or sold. Some work out great and others are disasters. Ours would have been a disaster, so I'm glad they did it the way they decided.

I happened to have used my inheritance from our family cabin to build my own cabin in Colorado with another (unrelated) couple. It's worked out fine for us for 15 years. Our signed contract says that if either family wants out, the other gets first right of refusal to buy the other half at appraised value at the time. Otherwise we sell and split the proceeds. My sister used her inheritance to buy her own cabin (near our former family cabin in MN). My other two brothers didn't want the responsibility and used their money for other things.

Most situations I've heard of include some version of one sibling taking most of the responsibility for the cabin and the others coming and going when they can. My best friend's parents are still living and have 4 kids and 11 grandchildren and will not sit down and discuss succession with the family. My friend lives near the cabin and enjoys it most, but takes care of most of the chores and paperwork involved. It's working out fine now, but splitting it up between so many will be daunting. We always talk about this challenge when we go fishing together. He has read several books about it and he likes the one I listed above. But there are newer and different options.

GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover » Fri May 22, 2020 3:19 pm

praxis wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:39 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Saving-Family-Co ... oks&sr=1-8

This is a common question. The answer depends on the family. My parents searched for an answer to smoothly leave their cabin to their four kids and finally sold it and left us equal shares. I grew up in lake country in Minnesota and we all loved our cabin. Many of our friends' families had cabins and by now, most of those cabins have been passed on or sold. Some work out great and others are disasters. Ours would have been a disaster, so I'm glad they did it the way they decided.

I happened to have used my inheritance from our family cabin to build my own cabin in Colorado with another (unrelated) couple. It's worked out fine for us for 15 years. Our signed contract says that if either family wants out, the other gets first right of refusal to buy the other half at appraised value at the time. Otherwise we sell and split the proceeds. My sister used her inheritance to buy her own cabin (near our former family cabin in MN). My other two brothers didn't want the responsibility and used their money for other things.

Most situations I've heard of include some version of one sibling taking most of the responsibility for the cabin and the others coming and going when they can. My best friend's parents are still living and have 4 kids and 11 grandchildren and will not sit down and discuss succession with the family. My friend lives near the cabin and enjoys it most, but takes care of most of the chores and paperwork involved. It's working out fine now, but splitting it up between so many will be daunting. We always talk about this challenge when we go fishing together. He has read several books about it and he likes the one I listed above. But there are newer and different options.
Thanks. I read that book and found it useful.

GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover » Fri May 22, 2020 3:21 pm

ncbill wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:26 pm
Another vote for one person inherits it/buys everybody else out or it gets sold.
I don't think any of the 4 of us wants to own it alone, but none of us wants to sell it either. And my mother wants it to stay in the family.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:39 pm

GeraniumLover wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:20 am
I am looking at this issue now for my mother's vacation house. Current thought is to have it owned by an LLC and set aside enough $$ on her death to cover expenses indefinitely. LLC agreement would lay out how the property is managed/used, and would allow for sales/transfers of LLC interests only among her descendants. Has anybody else taken this approach or anything similar?
What if you can't/don't want to use it and nobody else wants to buy your share? Your inheritance is sitting there useless/worthless to you. Even if money is set aside to take care of the property forever, there will inevitably be a difference of opinions on what should be upgraded/fixed and when and how and who gets to use it what week/weekend/holiday etc. Of course, if one person is in charge what they say goes but that may not sit well with the others. I think nostalgia clouds people's judgement on things like this and they ignore the practical matters.

Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore » Fri May 22, 2020 4:40 pm

cadreamer2015 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:37 am

In his experience it is not so much the second generation owners who are the problems, because they grew up as siblings with a shared experience of the vacation property. It is the third generation (cousins). By time you've got 7 or 8 cousins sharing the ownership, there are always problems managing the property.
That sounds about right. I have a friend whose family owned a house right on the beach in Malibu, CA. Grandfather built it, passed it on to 3 kids, who passed it on to 7 grandkids who are now in their late 40s to early 60s. Arguments about expenses, repairs, and scheduling led to them finally selling it. My pal was pretty upset by this.
My brother and his wife inherited a lake house from her Dad: she has a brother and a sister. Brother does very well and was happy to pay the carrying costs, and never actually used the house. Sister has a vacation home elsewhere, and finally the carrying costs got to be too much for her. Wealthy brother would have been happy to buy her out, but my brother and sister-in-law did not have the $$$ to buy that 1/6 share, so they all agreed the best thing would be to sell it.
I'm not sure what the answer is...
Cheers

Post by 123 » Fri May 22, 2020 5:17 pm

If ownership is held by a single sibling and that sibling passes away the frequent situation is that ownership then passes to the surviving widow/widower (under most states law if there is no will) and potentially out of the family, especially when that widow/widower remarries. Problem gone (along with the property).
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Fri May 22, 2020 6:25 pm

Since you revived a 5 year old thread you might get some replies that don't address your situation. You might ask the moderators to start a new thread to address this issue.

If your mom wants to rule from the grave and force all the kids to pay for the cabin whether they prefer cabin ownership sharing or not, the LLC sounds perfect. I wouldn't want that situation, because you are talking about taking a big chunk of the inheritance to fund decades of maintenance for the cabin. Maybe one of the siblings would rather have the money. Maybe eventually all of them would. Maybe the cabin can't be kept up to date with the funds available. Tastes change, and getting 4 siblings to agree on major maintenance or upgrades sounds tough. Plus add in all of their spouses and kids, and consider the hurt feelings.

What do the kids want? Is there one sibling that always ends up paying, and will that continue? Is there one that moved 2000 miles away and won't use the cabin? Is there one that wants use of the cabin and might take advantage of the others? I can see a sibling or cousin moving in "for a while" during "a dry spell" and not moving out.

We don't know you, your family, the cabin, real estate values in the area, or much else about the situation. I understand that your mother would like to imagine that you will all live happily ever after sharing it. What do you think?