4 or 5 bike rack for car and minivan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
invest123

4 or 5 bike rack for car and minivan

Post by invest123 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:27 pm

I have a 2017 Camry and will probably be getting a Sienna or Odyssey in the next year or two. I'd like to buy a bike rack to transport 2 adult bikes and 2-3 kid's bikes. I think these are my options:
--trunk rack--would have to buy a separate one for the Camry and the minivan, and max capacity is 4 bikes. Least expensive option.
--tray/platform-style hitch rack--max capacity is 4 bikes
--hanging-style hitch rack--max capacity is 5 bikes, but then would need a 2" hitch, which is not possible to install on a Camry

So I think my best bet is to get a 4 bike trunk rack for the Camry for now.

helloeveryone

Re: 4 or 5 bike rack for car and minivan

Post by helloeveryone » Fri May 22, 2020 4:27 pm

invest123 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:27 pm
I have a 2017 Camry and will probably be getting a Sienna or Odyssey in the next year or two. I'd like to buy a bike rack to transport 2 adult bikes and 2-3 kid's bikes. I think these are my options:
--trunk rack--would have to buy a separate one for the Camry and the minivan, and max capacity is 4 bikes. Least expensive option.
--tray/platform-style hitch rack--max capacity is 4 bikes
--hanging-style hitch rack--max capacity is 5 bikes, but then would need a 2" hitch, which is not possible to install on a Camry

So I think my best bet is to get a 4 bike trunk rack for the Camry for now.
I have a yakima (bought used) hitch bike carrier. It does the job but boy can it be painful at times to fit three bikes (adult and two kids - had to buy bar adapter). It is a perfect fit and this requires force, sweat, mild cursing most of the time to load the bikes. taking off is easy. Looking back and having read about this after the fact the tray one seems like it would have been less of a struggle to load. (It’s only a struggle w kids bikes bc their frames are small - four adult bikes wouldn’t bean issue)

dratkinson

Re: 4 or 5 bike rack for car and minivan

Post by dratkinson » Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 pm

Try this search: http://www.google.com/search?q=1.25%22+ ... y&tbm=isch

You don't need it now, but a swing-away rack would make unloading your mini van much easier. Buy it once/right.

When I wanted a new bike rack that would be easier to install, LBS suggested a spare tire mounted rack.
--Old rack bolted to front (steel) bumper* and required several minutes of fumbling to reinstall.
--New spare tire rack installs easily and is held in place by tightening a few straps.
--LBS had a returned spare-tire bike rack that saved me ~$100.
--If I need to, I can carry 3 bikes on back and 2 bikes on front.

* It always takes a few days to again get use to driving with a front-mounted bike rack---driving while looking through bike parts is kinda distracting. Good reason to avoid front-mounted bike rack.

Submitted for your consideration.
--Install a receiver-hitch swing-away bike rack to vehicle rear, to hold 3-4 bikes.
--Install a bumper mounted rack to vehicle front, to hold 1-2 bikes.
--Both should fit on a Camry or mini van.

With the ability to carry 6 bikes, it means you can have another kid.

Another idea: front mounted receiver hitch. I have seen front-mounted receiver hitches, to aid in backing boats into storage, and to attach homeowner snowplows. But two swing-away bike racks and front and rear receiver hitches would be expensive, >$1K.

Ask your LBS what they recommend, for now and for later, for a one-and-done solution that can move between vehicles.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.