Have you searched for your unclaimed property?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Broken Man 1999

Re: Have you searched for your unclaimed property?

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:14 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:32 am
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:16 pm
kaneohe wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:29 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:55 am
I have checked our state site several times over the years, until today I never found anything.

Today I see an unclaimed amount of $48.88 from UPROMISE.

Not bad for 10 minutes work. :sharebeer

Broken Man 1999

Broken Man 1999.
but you're only done w/ the easy part.....finding the loot. :happy
You still need to get it back from the state..........I wonder how easy that is........haven't done it
myself but I know a few folks that gave up saying it wasn't worth their time.

My only experience was that I got notice from the state saying someone (party A)had my funds and that if
I didn't get it back from party A within 60 days, the funds would go to the state and recovery would have to be
from them (the state). I decided to bypass the state and get it directly from party A. Even then, it took a few
followups and 3-4 months of waiting.
Actually after finding the "treasure", I was able to complete the claim via the state website. Received an email confirming the submission of the online claim. So, I just wait.

Broken Man 1999
Wow! Received a email this morning from the State of Florida's CFO's office telling me the claim was approved, and to allow up to 14 days to receive payment. Not too shabby of a turn-around time if it holds.

Broken Man 1999
Well, FWIW, I received my check today. It is drawn on a State of Florida account, so it seems our state handles everything in house. From initial finding on website on January 21 to today receiving the check was very quick.

Now what to do with my newfound riches....

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

dandinsac

Post by dandinsac » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:54 pm

$290 total from Wisconsin and Missouri. Woohoo! Thanks for the thread.

I can’t justify going after the $0.16 that is in California. (Had a savings account with Capital One and they sent me letters for a year telling me I had this in the account.)

nguy44

Post by nguy44 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:14 pm

I have never found anything for me or my wife. But I have found over $1200 total so far for relatives. Two relatives (BILs) I notified six months ago have yet to pursue it, don't ask me why.

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:11 am

Smorgasbord wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:57 am
Last year I received a letter from a company that scours the unclaimed property databases, notifies people that they have unclaimed property, and tries to get people have the company act as their agent (for a 20% fee). 25 years ago I probably would have paid the fee, but 20 seconds of Google searching informed me that I should just contact my state and get the money for free.
My wife got a call from one of these companies several months ago for an account that had been in her late mother's name (with my wife as beneficiary). We gave her our mailing info but I realized after getting off the phone that we could just claim it ourselves (and that there was going to be a fee for them to do it). Their forms said they would take a 15% cut (max allowed by NYS). One thing I realized is that if a company calls to "help" you, it's for a sizable amount, they won't do it for small accounts. Turned out to be around $5k which my wife and her brother split since they were co-beneficiaries. Of course the woman at the company called back a couple of times to encourage us to send them the form, but that wasn't happening@

What pissed me off was that the account was a CD that her mother had and the bank KNEW that she was deceased because they had paid us for another account shortly after she died. Yet they never told us about this other CD or that it had matured.

fed123

Post by fed123 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:40 pm

My wife just did this for her deceased Mom. Over $2700 from New York State.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:31 pm

Another hit!

Money is for my deceased sister. I will let my nieces/nephew know, the sum is a whopping $35.00.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

sport

Post by sport » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:45 pm

If companies cannot find you on their first try, don't expect them to hunt for you to send your money. By law, all the new unclaimed funds in my county for the year are printed in the newspaper. It is a long list. Last time it was 70 pages of small print. Included in the list are "hard to locate" entities such as the Cleveland Clinic and the Cleveland Indians. It happens every year.

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:50 pm

I have helped my parents and in-laws file claims online on the official state unclaimed funds websites for their respective states. Pretty straight forward and easy, all online nothing to mail in. Everything from long closed bank accounts to old cable equipment rental deposit.

StoneBob

Post by StoneBob » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:51 pm

As a result of reading this thread, I decided to check with my state. Just got a check for $516 for a couple of share of stock my late wife sold and never got the proceeds. Thanks again Bogleheads :happy

chemocean

Post by chemocean » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:31 pm

My wife got a significant inheritance from her aunt. Several years after probate was closed, she received a letter from a third party saying that not all the her aunt's assets were distributed and a significant (six figures) asset was still outstanding. The third party indicated that they would do all the paperwork for a 33% finder's fee and distribute the remainder to the heirs according to the aunt's will. There were several heirs including distant cousins of the previously deceased uncle who lived overseas. The heirs decided to pay the fee. I now realized that I could have queried the unclaimed property in a number of state to identify the asset. I still think it would take a lot of time to work to recover the unclaimed assets by coordinating with the heirs. Once the asset was identified, perhaps the heirs could have negotiated a much smaller fee with the third party to recover the asset for the heirs in accordance with the aunt's will.

Topic Author
fundseeker

Post by fundseeker » Fri May 22, 2020 6:21 pm

Hope you all don't mind me bringing up an old thread, but it serves as a public service announcement, and it seems like we have a lot of new members who aren't aware of unclaimed property listings in every state.

So take a few minutes and begin the hunt, not just for yourself but for others who may have money they don't even know about. Good luck!

BruinBones

Post by BruinBones » Sat May 23, 2020 3:28 pm

I found my name there. When I further investigated, I had overpaid a final utility bill at one of my previous duty stations for about $1.37.
It wasn't worth pursuing. :|

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Sat May 23, 2020 3:29 pm

I found $20 for my father in law this year.

Morgan22

Post by Morgan22 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:03 pm

Just did a search. I found something for my daughter. Her boyfriend also has four items on the state site he can claim. :happy

bowtie

Post by bowtie » Sun May 24, 2020 4:04 am

Thank you for the reminder. Perhaps I will search. I had actually received a letter from the State notifying me of 'unclaimed property' but maybe there's more waiting now that it's later on. Meanwhile I applied to receive the 50.00 owed me. Some overpayment of insurance apparently.