Safely disinfecting frozen food packages from corona virus?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Northern Flicker

Re: Safely disinfecting frozen food packages from corona virus?

Post by Northern Flicker » Fri May 22, 2020 4:23 pm

We separate an area of the freezer for newly purchased items ahead of going to the grocery store, and then don’t use these items for (at least) 2 days.
Index fund investor since 1987.

Fallible

Re: Safely disinfecting frozen food packages from corona virus?

Post by Fallible » Fri May 22, 2020 6:01 pm

EnjoyIt wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:17 pm
... The thing is, we really don't know if eating it gets us infected and if so how much viral load is necessary for an infection to take place.

Unfortunately there is still so much we don't know to be very confident about our precesses and what is really necessary to stay safe. Though I believe knowledge helps us make rational decisions which is why I posted the above. ...
I think these comments show what this thread is really all about - not just about disinfecting groceries, but the reasons for it, the big picture, the pandemic, the fear and extreme uncertainty that explains the anxiety, stress, the extra-careful (but maybe not careful enough? or too careful?) steps that we take to hopefully remain well. At this point in the pandemic, health experts around the world have learned a great deal about this virus and they know, and are quick to say, how much is still unknown. Of course, knowledge helps the public make rational decisions, but at this point we often don't have enough of it, so we go with what we do know and hope it's right and that it helps.

Thanks for those comments.
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."