[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
New Providence

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by New Providence » Fri May 22, 2020 10:39 am

Capsu78 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:31 am
Completed season 1 of NORMAL PEOPLE on Hulu. Wife and I enjoyed it and look forward to season 2. Great chemistry between the leads.
Didn't like it. Relationship was too dysfunctional - at times jarringly so. You can tell the participation of the BBC as the leads were nude a lot. Well, that part I have less to complain about. Production quality was excellent.
It's based on a Novel so not sure that there will be a season 2.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:43 am

Started "Ozark" season 1. Really good.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri May 22, 2020 11:02 am

abuss368 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:43 am
You are in for a ride. Buckle up.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:04 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:02 am
abuss368 wrote:
:sharebeer
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Conch55

Post by Conch55 » Fri May 22, 2020 12:17 pm

As has been mentioned here previously, it gets weird but it's worth sticking it out imo.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:09 pm

New Providence wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:39 am
Capsu78 wrote:
Completed season 1 of NORMAL PEOPLE on Hulu. Wife and I enjoyed it and look forward to season 2. Great chemistry between the leads.
Didn't like it. Relationship was too dysfunctional - at times jarringly so. You can tell the participation of the BBC as the leads were nude a lot. Well, that part I have less to complain about. Production quality was excellent.
Pretty sure more seasons are coming. I read a plot summary of the novel and I think they fall in and out of each others lives multiple times.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:33 pm

Capsu78 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:09 pm
New Providence wrote:
Capsu78 wrote:
Pretty sure more seasons are coming. I read a plot summary of the novel and I think they fall in and out of each others lives multiple times.
Correcting myself after a bit of research- apparently the 12 episodes did follow the book to the end. Another season is possible but the production team and writers are focusing on getting the authors first book made into a series.

New Providence

Post by New Providence » Fri May 22, 2020 4:41 pm

Capsu78 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:33 pm
Capsu78 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:09 pm
New Providence wrote:
Capsu78 wrote:
Correcting myself after a bit of research- apparently the 12 episodes did follow the book to the end. Another season is possible but the production team and writers are focusing on getting the authors first book made into a series.
Wouldn't be surprised at all about season 2 if the ratings were good. They did it, unfortunately, with Handmaid's Tale.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu May 28, 2020 2:39 pm

Dead to Me, on Netflix. At first, it seemed like Grace and Frankie going in a different direction. After 2 episodes, it got interesting. I just finished Season 1 - you need to watch it to the very end.

I don't think it's as good as Grace and Frankie, but it kept my interest and I'll watch Season 2.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu May 28, 2020 2:59 pm

We just finished "Kavanaugh QC", and were sorry to have the final episode/season end.

Then we stumbled across "The Brief", which was by the folks who created Inspector Morse and also Kavanaugh QC (but without John Thaw).
We were very disappointed. Gave it another try with the second episode, but nooo.
The acting wasn't nearly up to par with the previous two series. It just didn't click for us.

But we are thinking of starting Inspector Morse from the start. We didn't watch it all in order back then, and no doubt missed some episodes. And those were quite some time ago anyway.
(And no, we didn't like the spin-off starring Morse's sidekick, Lewis.)

We'll also start looking for more of TV or movies with John Thaw. He was really terrific.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu May 28, 2020 5:24 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:59 pm
But we are thinking of starting Inspector Morse from the start. We didn't watch it all in order back then, and no doubt missed some episodes. And those were quite some time ago anyway.
(And no, we didn't like the spin-off starring Morse's sidekick, Lewis.)
You might like the Morse prequel: Endeavour: Morse's early, younger, years in the 1960's. I liked it very much.

I also really liked Lewis. His sidekick (Hathaway) is a real favorite. He is played by Laurence Fox, the nephew of Edward Fox who was the Jackal in Day of the Jackal, and the son of James Fox who was in many movies and TV shows, including one episode of Endeavour. Acting seems to run in that family! There is a family resemblance among them.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri May 29, 2020 8:38 pm

Started into second half of season 5 of Vikings on Amazon. It's been a while since I watched Vikings. I really liked the first 2 or 3 seasons but it grown far less interesting. I'd probably abandon it if there were something else I wanted to watch.

Anybody else feel like there is nothing (or very little) worth watching on Netflix? I used to consider it the go to streaming source but apart from Ozarks I can't remember anything that interested me. It has so much content but none of it looks any good.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri May 29, 2020 8:49 pm

JBTX wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:38 pm

Anybody else feel like there is nothing (or very little) worth watching on Netflix? I used to consider it the go to streaming source but apart from Ozarks I can't remember anything that interested me. It has so much content but none of it looks any good.
90% of Netflix original content is garbage (Ozark excluded). By far the least amount of decent content among the major streaming services.

RedClay

Post by RedClay » Fri May 29, 2020 9:08 pm

I would highly recommend Counterpart, originally on Starz and now available on Amazon Prime. They only made two seasons (2017 & 2018), but it's very good. It's a sci-fi, espionage thriller starring J.K. Simmons (the guy from the Farmers ads and Ladykillers). The basic premise is that there is a parallel universe where each person has their "counterpart." J.K. Simmons is amazing. Also has a pandemic tie-in, so that's interesting... :?

JackieBog46

Post by JackieBog46 » Sat May 30, 2020 9:39 am

You can lead a horse to water....

https://www.amazon.com/Come-What-May/dp ... merReviews

On Netflix. Change your life...

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat May 30, 2020 9:50 am

JackieBog46 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:39 am
You can lead a horse to water....

https://www.amazon.com/Come-What-May/dp ... merReviews

On Netflix. Change your life...
Geez, are you the producer or something? A TV show changed your life?

Think it's pretty clear that "Heartland" isn't the cup of tea of many on here.

JackieBog46

Post by JackieBog46 » Sat May 30, 2020 10:22 am

There are plenty of "edgy" dystopian dramas you can watch until your soul collapses, but there's only one Heartland. A lot of people on this thread can't seem to find anything they really enjoy watching, so my post is for them, not you. Thanks for letting us know how cool you are.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat May 30, 2020 10:38 am

JackieBog46 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:22 am
There are plenty of "edgy" dystopian dramas you can watch until your soul collapses, but there's only one Heartland. A lot of people on this thread can't seem to find anything they really enjoy watching, so my post is for them, not you. Thanks for letting us know how cool you are.
I didn't say anything other than it isn't some people's cup of tea. Regardless of how many more times you post how "life changing" a TV show was, it isn't going to change that it's not the type of thing many on here would enjoy. Really, you come off like a cheesy marketing bot...in fact, all but less than a handful of your posts on this board has been promoting "Heartland", so it's kind of hard to believe you are a legitimate poster.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat May 30, 2020 10:46 am

stoptothink wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:50 am
I think it is pretty clear that every show mentioned in this thread isn't the cup of tea of many on here. But most do suit many others just fine. Your comments are less than kind so why make them?

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat May 30, 2020 11:11 am

retiredjg wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:46 am
stoptothink wrote:
I think it is pretty clear that every show mentioned in this thread isn't the cup of tea of many on here. But most do suit many others just fine. Your comments are less than kind so why make them?
Because there is a poster who (it appears) is on this board exclusively to promote a TV show. You may be OK with marketing bots, I think they ruin boards :sharebeer .

mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy » Sat May 30, 2020 11:25 am

If you are looking for relief from the stress of the world and life do not watch...

Goldfinch (Amazon Prime)

It was such a terrible and depressing movie with characters that are not at all interesting.

I have the book and could never get hooked into reading much of it. Now I know why.

Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow » Sat May 30, 2020 2:14 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:11 am
retiredjg wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:46 am
stoptothink wrote:
Because there is a poster who (it appears) is on this board exclusively to promote a TV show. You may be OK with marketing bots, I think they ruin boards :sharebeer .
Out of curiosity - I went through the posts of the OP. He only made 17 posts and 12 are about this one show. Furthermore, he has made the exact same post on the show multiple times months apart, like a cut/paste. OP does like the word: "Dystopian".

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat May 30, 2020 4:04 pm

I really do not think it is up to us to judge what others post about. I do think it is up to us to be aware if someone is just here to try to sell something.

That seems unlikely to me in this case, but let's assume that is correct....the way to handle that is to bring it to the attention of a moderator. I've done this a few times over the years and learned some interesting things from it.

I don't think criticizing another's choice of topics or accusing a fellow poster of being a "plant" is appropriate and it certainly is not my job. It could just be someone who is shy about posting in investing topics but passionate about something else.

Let's drop this and try to be nice to each other. Things are tough enough without this kind of disharmony. I'm sure we all agree on that. :happy

If there is a problem, use the ! button and let the moderators do their job.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Sat May 30, 2020 4:51 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:04 am
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:02 am
abuss368 wrote:
:sharebeer
Also started on Ozark a few weeks ago. Thumbs up.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns

boomergeneration

Post by boomergeneration » Sun May 31, 2020 4:33 pm

Mrs. America, on Hulu. Don't be put off by the title; it has nothing to do with the beauty pageant. It is about the fight for the passage of the Equal Rights Amendment. Starts in the 1970's and finishes with Regan getting elected. Cate Blanchett does a fantastic job playing the lead, Phyllis Schafley, who leads the successful campaign to defeat the ERA. Gloria Steinem, Bella Abzug, Betty Friedan, and Shirley Chisholm are some of the other characters. The acting is top notch all around and the story of the planting of the seeds of Reagan's America is fascinating. It is 9 episodes. And not just for women. My 28 year old son watched it with me and enjoyed it.

The other show I found riveting was The Plot Against America, on HBO. It is based on the book by Philip Roth, about an alternative history where Charles Lindbergh wins the Presidency against FDR. David Simon, who did the Wire, does a wonderful job here. After watching it, I recommend listening to his commentary podcasts of each episode.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:06 pm

Season 1 of Bosch on Amazon, I think. I must say standard formula cop shows are not in the top half of my interests. It was good, but my wife liked it better, so we will stick with it. She is out of her recorded Chicago Whatever library so this is good for her.
Anyone else give me some feedback re: future seasons- better, the same???

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:09 pm

Capsu78 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:06 pm
Season 1 of Bosch on Amazon, I think. I must say standard formula cop shows are not in the top half of my interests. It was good, but my wife liked it better, so we will stick with it. She is out of her recorded Chicago Whatever library so this is good for her.
Anyone else give me some feedback re: future seasons- better, the same???
Many people here like it. For me, meh, and IMO goes downhill.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:18 pm

Enjoying Kim's Convenience on Netflix. Never would have known it existed if not recommended here.