Some possible luxury SUV choices to buy: Opinions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
smalliebigs

Re: Some possible luxury SUV choices to buy: Opinions?

Post by smalliebigs » Tue May 19, 2020 2:08 pm

I'm an engineer at FCA, so please take my comments with a grain of bias. I would highly recommend the Maserati Levante, though that might be not everyone's taste. I wouldn't consider the Jeep Grand Cherokee to be a luxury SUV, We have it in the 'premium' section. The German 3 would be probably in the 'luxury' category, but maybe borderline 'premium' depending on the packages/options.

Toyota or Mazda would definitely NOT be in the luxury category. Toyota have Lexus for that, and Mazda don't have enough cash to compete in that sector.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Tue May 19, 2020 2:18 pm

smalliebigs wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:08 pm
I'm an engineer at FCA, so please take my comments with a grain of bias. I would highly recommend the Maserati Levante, though that might be not everyone's taste. I wouldn't consider the Jeep Grand Cherokee to be a luxury SUV, We have it in the 'premium' section. The German 3 would be probably in the 'luxury' category, but maybe borderline 'premium' depending on the packages/options.

Toyota or Mazda would definitely NOT be in the luxury category. Toyota have Lexus for that, and Mazda don't have enough cash to compete in that sector.

From y'alls perspective.... is Mazda trying to upscale and rebrand themselves as more of a Lexus/Acura/Infiniti type car? I visited their showroom merely to check out their interiors, and it's remarkable how far they've come from yester-years.

smalliebigs

Post by smalliebigs » Tue May 19, 2020 2:30 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:18 pm
From y'alls perspective.... is Mazda trying to upscale and rebrand themselves as more of a Lexus/Acura/Infiniti type car? I visited their showroom merely to check out their interiors, and it's remarkable how far they've come from yester-years.
Firstly, I'm an combustion development engineer, so I'm not an expert (at all!) on the interiors side. That said, although car reviews and journalists give Mazda rave reviews, the sales numbers do not respond the same way. That's because the vast majority of buyers don't care about car reviews, only nerds do. The things that car reviewers focus on tend to be quite cringey.

Their interiors are simple, effective, and clean. That's how I would describe them. Mazda is a very small company, relatively speaking. Their products struggle in modern markets as their most popular products (Miata, 3, 6) are all going strongly out of favor. Their CUV/SUVs cannot compete with even the other Japanese OEMs.

Going into the luxury segment is very expensive as you need to invest a LOT in understanding the customer, and their demands. You need to put in a lot of effort to satisfy someone who will be willing to put in $100,000 into a vehicle. It's not as simple as 'zoom zoom' anymore. Their brand is mostly accepted as a low cost and sporty image and would probably need to create a new badge just for the luxury/premium space, which again costs money in terms of advertising.

I honestly would not be surprised if they fold or get bought up by Toyota for the patents or technology.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Tue May 19, 2020 3:25 pm

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:57 pm
wfrobinette wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:06 pm

I would include the Mazda CX5 or CX-9. Add the Volvo xc60 into to the mix too.

We had a 2010 CX-9 and loved it. We have a Audi Q7 now and when its time we are going back to Mazda.

You can have a top of the line CX-5 for mid 30's and a cx-9 mid 40's
Thanks for posting this re: the Mazda CX-5. I test drove a couple of these pre-COVID19 and am still interested in it. I had a horrible experience with an Audi A4 T a long time ago and had to replace 2 engines in it so switched brands to something more reliable. I still like the design of their cars though.

Based on the research I've done on the CX-5, it seems quite reliable and comes in AWD.
The only thing I didn't like about the CX-9 is that it sucked in snow. But I did have the sporty tires on it.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Tue May 19, 2020 3:37 pm

Helo80 wrote:
smalliebigs wrote:

You do get a lot of car for the money. Their plan? Have a luxury level trim without creating a new brand and keep it priced at the entry level of the luxury cars that can't match the features for same price. Hyundai did something similar with the Genesis before it became its own brand.

Honestly the CX-9 we had years ago was very nicely appointed for a 38k car. Stupidest decision I ever made was to sell that to get a XC-60 that ultimately led to a Q7. I would have saved 60 grand had I just stayed with the Mazda.

I'm done buying luxury cars.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue May 19, 2020 3:49 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:37 pm
You do get a lot of car for the money. Their plan? Have a luxury level trim without creating a new brand and keep it priced at the entry level of the luxury cars that can't match the features for same price. Hyundai did something similar with the Genesis before it became its own brand.
To be fair though, that actually wasn't Hyundai's plan for the Genesis. Genesis was supposed to have been a luxury brand from day 1, just like Lexus. They had a roadmap and 3 cars ready to launch. Everything was going to plan. Now, I can't recall what it was exactly, but something happened that made them decide that spending $2 Billion launching a new luxury car brand with dedicated dealers just wasn't the right move in late 2008. :mrgreen:

So enter the Hyundai Genesis sedan, Genesis coupe, and Equus, sold out of their existing dealer network. 8 years later, when Hyundai felt conditions were more favorable, they launched Genesis as its own brand. But make no mistake; that was the original plan.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue May 19, 2020 4:44 pm

smalliebigs wrote:
I'm an engineer at FCA, so please take my comments with a grain of bias. I would highly recommend the Maserati Levante, though that might be not everyone's taste.
With Maserati depreciation, you can probably get the 80k MSRP car for 40k after 2 years:) I have no doubt it is has better materials than the 45k cars this thread started with. But I also expect the TCO to be noticeably higher just from gas consumption alone.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue May 19, 2020 4:50 pm

randomguy wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:44 pm
With Maserati depreciation, you can probably get the 80k MSRP car for 40k after 2 years:) I have no doubt it is has better materials than the 45k cars this thread started with. But I also expect the TCO to be noticeably higher just from gas consumption alone.
But the gas consumption is worth it, since the Quattrofoglio (the only Levante that tops $80k new AFAIK) has literally THE best-sounding V6 ever put into an SUV. :mrgreen: Better than 90% of V8s, in fact.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Tue May 19, 2020 4:51 pm

smalliebigs wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:30 pm
Going into the luxury segment is very expensive as you need to invest a LOT in understanding the customer, and their demands. You need to put in a lot of effort to satisfy someone who will be willing to put in $100,000 into a vehicle. It's not as simple as 'zoom zoom' anymore. Their brand is mostly accepted as a low cost and sporty image and would probably need to create a new badge just for the luxury/premium space, which again costs money in terms of advertising.
Thanks for the insight and feedback. I think that I phrased it poorly that Mazda was trying to do a true rebrand as tbh, their dealerhips in my area are lackluster and people with $60k+ to spend on a car would not want to go to these places. Nor, are they in locations where people with that kind of car spending capital live/work/visit.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Tue May 19, 2020 4:53 pm

wfrobinette wrote:

Yes, that's where I was going more at.... not necessarily a "true luxury", but rather... you get a lot of bang for the nice and have interior cues that pay homage to spending more than you actually did. The Mazda dealerships in my area are dinky though.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Tue May 19, 2020 4:54 pm

randomguy wrote:
smalliebigs wrote:
I'm an engineer at FCA, so please take my comments with a grain of bias. I would highly recommend the Maserati Levante, though that might be not everyone's taste.

I've seriously looked at used Maserati's for this reason alone.

I do like their vehicles... but holy gas smokes do they depreciate like a rock.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue May 19, 2020 5:07 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:50 pm
randomguy wrote:
But the gas consumption is worth it, since the Quattrofoglio (the only Levante that tops $80k new AFAIK) has literally THE best-sounding V6 ever put into an SUV. :mrgreen: Better than 90% of V8s, in fact.
I think pretty much all the 2020s are at 80k once you add in basics like paint (seriously driving around a white or black car is for the poors) and basic safety gear:) And if you can hear the engine, the luxury car maker hasn't done a good enough job at NVH....

More seriously it is a whole different class of cars than things like the RDX. Nobody is cross shopping them. People might cross shop a Stelvio (which is in the same price category except for the quadrifoglio line. Of course I also don't think there is a Levante quadrifoglio model either:)

smalliebigs

Post by smalliebigs » Tue May 19, 2020 5:33 pm

I love it when people think a $80k car will depreciate to $40k in 2 years. Some embellishments are OK, but holy cow!

tphp99

Post by tphp99 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:17 pm

CULater wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:08 am
Looking for upscale interior with leather, easy infotainment interface, comfortable seating, good ride, road noise quietness, and smooth engine/tranny operation.
Not sure if you've purchased your SUV yet but if what you said above is important, I would at least check out a few mid or full-size sedans. With most SUVs, the suspension is a compromise and are not at all "luxurious" to drive. Maybe the top of the line (think bigger AND longer SUV) Porsche, MB, BMW, Cadillac with their air and magnetic suspension will you get that nice comfortable ride. Also bigger engines tend to be smoother, think V6s or V8s.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Tue May 19, 2020 8:11 pm

tphp99 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:17 pm
With most SUVs, the suspension is a compromise and are not at all "luxurious" to drive. Maybe the top of the line (think bigger AND longer SUV) Porsche, MB, BMW, Cadillac with their air and magnetic suspension will you get that nice comfortable ride.
Don't those air suspensions become $$$ compared to your standard MacPherson strut when they go out? I would like to think so, especially if it's German and they're incorporating them into the build.

Personally, if I end with a C8 order, it's going to have magneride, but I'll have to research how much that system is to maintain first.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue May 19, 2020 8:40 pm

smalliebigs wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:33 pm
I love it when people think a $80k car will depreciate to $40k in 2 years. Some embellishments are OK, but holy cow!
The joke was that in order for the 80k to fit into the price range the OP was looking for, you would need a ton of deprecation. I am actually not up on Maserati deprecation but. if you look at Alpha Romero (i.e. another. FCA company) it gets pretty close. Now most of it is that the cars were sold at big discounts (i.e. 50k MSRP, you pay 40k and 2 years later it is worth 25k. Depreciation is 50% off MSRP but off what you paid it is a more normal 38%). Some luxury SUVs. hold value but a lot drop like rocks. Now if that is justified because of the potential costs of repair in later years is a point of debate.

cogito

Post by cogito » Tue May 19, 2020 8:55 pm

OP, I would nudge you to think about either moving up, or moving down in brand status. A fully loaded CX-5 (of which I own, and absolutely love), or Kia/Hyundai/Honda/Toyota CUV etc will almost certainly match or even beat a mid 40k-ish brand from your list. Or, just get a real luxury brand like a Porsche Macan, Quadrifoglio , or a Jaguar. There also seems to be something very Bogleheadish to me about taking a "go big or go home" approach to cars.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed May 20, 2020 7:24 am

randomguy wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:07 pm
I think pretty much all the 2020s are at 80k once you add in basics like paint (seriously driving around a white or black car is for the poors) and basic safety gear:) And if you can hear the engine, the luxury car maker hasn't done a good enough job at NVH....

More seriously it is a whole different class of cars than things like the RDX. Nobody is cross shopping them. People might cross shop a Stelvio (which is in the same price category except for the quadrifoglio line. Of course I also don't think there is a Levante quadrifoglio model either:)
You're right, I was thinking of the Stelvio, which just tops $80k for the Quadrifoglio.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Wed May 20, 2020 7:58 am

smalliebigs wrote:
Just a quick look at some local BMW's

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/
Original MSRP $64,700
20k miles $37,000
$27,700 savings

Original MSRP $74,950
21k miles $44,700
$30,250 savings

Original MSRP 67,705
46k miles $34,598
$33,000 savings

Original MSRP $86,100 (if no options/unlikely)
27k miles $46,877
$39,223 savings

tons of other choices that lose 1/2 their value. Mercedes GLS 450, Audi Q7, Audi S5, Audi A7, etc.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Wed May 20, 2020 8:14 am

I'm waiting for the new Genesis SUV to appear this summer.

Tim

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed May 20, 2020 8:21 am

Last September we spent a couple weeks down the road from the Rolls Royce auto factory, and would occasionally see a Cullinan on the road. Surprised that a Bogelhead hasn't considered it as an (extreme) luxury SUV option.

With the recent drop in gas prices, it's 14 mpg rating no longer sounds so bad. The $330k base price plus fees is another story.

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Wed May 20, 2020 8:45 am

smalliebigs wrote:
Maseratis do depreciate more than 50% in two years largely due to their near bottom of the pack reliability, poor quality interior materials, and terrible ergonomics and build quality. Read any review of a Maserati and it comes in dead last compared to its peers. Although it’s a $70k+ car, you get plastic bits straight out of a $15k Dodge Dart and doesn’t drive as well as a BMW 5, Mercedes E etc. it’s almost as if they didn’t even try

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed May 20, 2020 11:32 am

cogito wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:55 pm
OP, I would nudge you to think about either moving up, or moving down in brand status. A fully loaded CX-5 (of which I own, and absolutely love), or Kia/Hyundai/Honda/Toyota CUV etc will almost certainly match or even beat a mid 40k-ish brand from your list. Or, just get a real luxury brand like a Porsche Macan, Quadrifoglio , or a Jaguar. There also seems to be something very Bogleheadish to me about taking a "go big or go home" approach to cars.
Have you actually sat in these 50k SUVs and compare them to your CX5? The cx5 is really, really good for the money but to me it is pretty clear where the extra money went in most of those luxury cars. The leather is nicer. The switch gear is nicer. The screens are higher res. The seats are more comfortable. And so on. The luxury cars are nice. If it is worth paying the 10-20k premium though is up to you.

cogito

Post by cogito » Wed May 20, 2020 11:55 am

randomguy wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:32 am
cogito wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:55 pm
Have you actually sat in these 50k SUVs and compare them to your CX5? The cx5 is really, really good for the money but to me it is pretty clear where the extra money went in most of those luxury cars. The leather is nicer. The switch gear is nicer. The screens are higher res. The seats are more comfortable. And so on. The luxury cars are nice. If it is worth paying the 10-20k premium though is up to you.
Yes, I have, and you're correct, they are definitely much nicer, if you compare, say, a fully loaded Q5 with my fully loaded CX-5.

Op however is looking for mid 40's max, which will likely be a base model with fewer luxury features than my fully loaded CX-5. The Q5's start at 43k. An Audi or Mercedes SUV in the Mid-40's is not going to get you much more than the badge, unless you are looking at used. Mid 50's-60's, definitely.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Wed May 20, 2020 12:06 pm

If I was in the market for a $40K new SUV, my first test drive would be an Acura RDX. We owned an older model and it was a great vehicle. Sad to see the V6 go away but there is someone local that has a new blue one that has the red leather and looks sweet. If I wanted something a little bigger, the Hyundai and Kia also look great. The interior of the Paliside, looks great from what I've seen.

tsupersonic

Post by tsupersonic » Wed May 20, 2020 12:20 pm

FireSekr wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:45 am
smalliebigs wrote:
Maseratis do depreciate more than 50% in two years largely due to their near bottom of the pack reliability, poor quality interior materials, and terrible ergonomics and build quality. Read any review of a Maserati and it comes in dead last compared to its peers. Although it’s a $70k+ car, you get plastic bits straight out of a $15k Dodge Dart and doesn’t drive as well as a BMW 5, Mercedes E etc. it’s almost as if they didn’t even try
This right here. Wouldn't touch Maserati if I were looking to buy in the luxury segment. The fact that they use cheap Dodge parts (see Doug Demuro's video on Maserati Ghibli) is pathetic for an $80k car. Maserati's do depreciate rather much, and they deserve it more than any luxury manufacturer. If you have any common sense, you wouldn't buy any FCA products for reliability or long term ownership.

tsohg

Post by tsohg » Wed May 20, 2020 1:59 pm

tsupersonic wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:20 pm
If you have any common sense, you wouldn't buy any FCA products for reliability or long term ownership.
I don't mean to offend anyone else in this thread, but I had the same thought regarding FCA.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Wed May 20, 2020 3:22 pm

I have a relative who works for FCA, she just bought a new Subaru...

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Wed May 20, 2020 3:40 pm

smalliebigs wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:30 pm
Helo80 wrote:
Firstly, I'm an combustion development engineer, so I'm not an expert (at all!) on the interiors side. That said, although car reviews and journalists give Mazda rave reviews, the sales numbers do not respond the same way. That's because the vast majority of buyers don't care about car reviews, only nerds do. The things that car reviewers focus on tend to be quite cringey.

Their interiors are simple, effective, and clean. That's how I would describe them. Mazda is a very small company, relatively speaking. Their products struggle in modern markets as their most popular products (Miata, 3, 6) are all going strongly out of favor. Their CUV/SUVs cannot compete with even the other Japanese OEMs.

I honestly would not be surprised if they fold or get bought up by Toyota for the patents or technology.
I sure see a lot of Mazda CUV/SUVs on the roads in the Charlotte area. All manufactures are feeling the pain from the great 2nd wave toward the SUV/CUV.

BTW, I wouldn't take any bet on any business in the Covid climate. There are a lot of folks being hurt real bad financially now and it wouldn't surprise me if we see a shift back toward the standard brands again. But it wouldn't surprise me either that no one learned their lesson and continue to pay a high price for lackluster vehicles just because of the emblem on the hood.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Wed May 20, 2020 3:44 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:49 pm
wfrobinette wrote:
To be fair though, that actually wasn't Hyundai's plan for the Genesis. Genesis was supposed to have been a luxury brand from day 1, just like Lexus. They had a roadmap and 3 cars ready to launch. Everything was going to plan. Now, I can't recall what it was exactly, but something happened that made them decide that spending $2 Billion launching a new luxury car brand with dedicated dealers just wasn't the right move in late 2008. :mrgreen:

So enter the Hyundai Genesis sedan, Genesis coupe, and Equus, sold out of their existing dealer network. 8 years later, when Hyundai felt conditions were more favorable, they launched Genesis as its own brand. But make no mistake; that was the original plan.
I'd say something happened. High gas prices caused new car sales to plummet particularly those that sucked gas. Pontiac who had a great car in the G8(I bought one in 08) died just after it too.

notBobToo

Post by notBobToo » Wed May 20, 2020 7:13 pm

dsmclone wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:06 pm
If I was in the market for a $40K new SUV, my first test drive would be an Acura RDX. We owned an older model and it was a great vehicle. Sad to see the V6 go away but there is someone local that has a new blue one that has the red leather and looks sweet. If I wanted something a little bigger, the Hyundai and Kia also look great. The interior of the Paliside, looks great from what I've seen.
2020 RDX owner here. Run, do not walk, away from Acura.

The first one (yes, first!) that I took delivery on had a leaking transmission. Brand new, driven right off the (delivery room) floor. Kudos to the dealer for finding me another, same color, options, etc. But then fast forward about 3000 miles and started getting the dreaded squeaky brake syndrome, which has stayed with me through four service calls and replacement of front and rear brake pads and rotors. Oh, and let us not forget the bad lower control arms on the front, which were replaced. And the broken CV boot on the first RDX.

(No) thank you sir, I'll (not) have another.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Wed May 20, 2020 7:27 pm

notBobToo wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:13 pm
dsmclone wrote:

The first one (yes, first!) that I took delivery on had a leaking transmission. Brand new, driven right off the (delivery room) floor. Kudos to the dealer for finding me another, same color, options, etc. But then fast forward about 3000 miles and started getting the dreaded squeaky brake syndrome, which has stayed with me through four service calls and replacement of front and rear brake pads and rotors. Oh, and let us not forget the bad lower control arms on the front, which were replaced. And the broken CV boot on the first RDX.

Interesting. Sorry for your experience. They are quite popular in my area. :|

msi

Post by msi » Wed May 20, 2020 8:47 pm

notBobToo wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:13 pm
dsmclone wrote:

Are you also having issues with the infotainment system, too? From what I've read, that's where many of the owner complaints stem from.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu May 21, 2020 8:26 am

wfrobinette wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:44 pm
lazydavid wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:49 pm
wfrobinette wrote:

I'd say something happened. High gas prices caused new car sales to plummet particularly those that sucked gas. Pontiac who had a great car in the G8(I bought one in 08) died just after it too.
I was hinting at the economic collapse in 2008. :P

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Thu May 21, 2020 8:33 am

Helo80 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:54 pm
randomguy wrote:
smalliebigs wrote:

I've seriously looked at used Maserati's for this reason alone.

I do like their vehicles... but holy gas smokes do they depreciate like a rock.
They sound and look amazing. But to my understanding reliability is much to be desired which is why they depreciate fast. I would not be comfortable holing one of these cars past warranty. I would rather hold one of the German 3 past warranty than a Maserati. It’s a shame cause they are awesome cars.

notBobToo

Post by notBobToo » Thu May 21, 2020 9:02 am

msi wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:47 pm
Are you also having issues with the infotainment system, too? From what I've read, that's where many of the owner complaints stem from.
No problems with the infotainment system. Apple car play works flawlessly. I used the radar cruise control on a cross county trip with no issues. The lane keep, bird's eye camera, and other helper technology works as advertised.

It's really a shame; the technology is great and the fit and finish of the exterior and interior is excellent. But mechanically, I don't know. After the fact, I read that some of the issues first cropped up in the 2019 RDX (redesign year?) and apparently were not resolved. I continue to work with the service department and have an open case with Acura. They insist that there is no safety issue. But geez, if you could hear the noises sometimes, wow. And from the TSB ... Front Brakes (The brake discs are too stiff) ... Rear Brakes (There is not enough dampening between the rear brake pads and shims).

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Fri May 22, 2020 2:40 pm

notBobToo wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:02 am
msi wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:47 pm
No problems with the infotainment system. Apple car play works flawlessly. I used the radar cruise control on a cross county trip with no issues. The lane keep, bird's eye camera, and other helper technology works as advertised.

It's really a shame; the technology is great and the fit and finish of the exterior and interior is excellent. But mechanically, I don't know. After the fact, I read that some of the issues first cropped up in the 2019 RDX (redesign year?) and apparently were not resolved. I continue to work with the service department and have an open case with Acura. They insist that there is no safety issue. But geez, if you could hear the noises sometimes, wow. And from the TSB ... Front Brakes (The brake discs are too stiff) ... Rear Brakes (There is not enough dampening between the rear brake pads and shims).
The only thing more insulting than having quality problems with a pedestrian Honda (count me in here) is having quality problems with an Acura. I guess they're all Hondas under the skin and too bad not the Honda of old anymore. Owned Honda since 1986 but everything comes to an end. Reliability ratings of Honda/Acura have sunk noticeably in Consumer Reports but people keep buying and buying them based on past reputation.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat May 23, 2020 10:36 am

smalliebigs wrote:

The upper-level trims of Mazdas (e.g., the Signature trim) are very nice, as nice as the luxury brands. And they're probably more reliable (certainly cheaper to maintain) than the German brands (not to mention a Maserati, LOL). I wouldn't make purchasing decisions based on some internet poster's idea of what fits or doesn't fit into the "luxury category."

As for cash - I'm not sure what the relevance is here. FCA is big and has plenty of cash, so why is it consistently bottom of the barrel when it comes to reliability and customer satisfaction?

smalliebigs

Post by smalliebigs » Sat May 23, 2020 12:39 pm

Look, I'm not saying that the Mazda Signature line is bad, per se. It's a very good interior, albeit simple, for its price. However, if you're comparing it to a $100,000 vehicle, there is no competition. The margins for luxury vehicles are usually slight better, but you are to a large extent, really getting more vehicle for your dollar.

I can tell you have a bias against Maserati, and that's fair. Everyone has their preferences. There are things that the team knows need improving, and things that the brand is strong at. The company is working on making improvements all the time, to every aspect of every vehicle.

My recommendation to you is that you test drive and get a feel for the Mazda Signature line of vehicles, and then also a $100,000 vehicle of any brand. You can easily see that it's completely in different leagues. The industry always employs competitive benchmarking to understand where we can improve. I've been involved in many interior surveys. The S-Class, 7 series, A8, etc., etc., are just immensely impressive vehicles. As far as I'm aware, we've never compared to Mazda for our higher end vehicles; it would just not make sense.