Something Fishy Here?? [CARES payment received via prepaid Visa]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
birnhamwood

Something Fishy Here?? [CARES payment received via prepaid Visa]

Post by birnhamwood »

Today I received the following message in the U.S. mail, purportedly from "The Department of the Treasury."

"Enclosed is your Economic Impact Payment Card (EIPC). This prepaid debit card is being sent to you on behalf ot the U.S. Depatment of the Treassury in place of a paper check. This card contains the money you are receiving as a result of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act)."

Enclosed is a VISA debit card. It is issued by MetaBank, N.A., Member FDIC. I never heard of them.

The card came from "Money Network Cardholder Services, PO Box 247022, Omaha, NE 68124-7022." I never heard of them.

To get my balance, I am directed to activate the card account and set a 4-digit PIN.

Only then can I get my balance by calling 1.800.240.8100

As far as I know, all CARES payments are being made ONLY by direct bank deposit or check mailed from the Treasury.

What do you think? Legitimate or not? Thanks
Last edited by birnhamwood on Fri May 22, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
02nz

Re: Something Fishy Here??

Post by 02nz »

birnhamwood wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:37 pm Economic Impact Payment Card
Top Google search results for those words: https://www.consumerfinance.gov/about-u ... paid-card/

(Yes it's legit.)
Last edited by 02nz on Fri May 22, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stats99

Post by stats99 »

I have read that Treasury is indeed sending prepaid debit cards. Google it. So it may be legit.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Treasury is Delivering Millions of Economic Impact Payments by Prepaid Debit Card
WASHINGTON— This week, Treasury and the IRS are starting to send nearly 4 million Economic Impact Payments (EIPs) by prepaid debit card, instead of by paper check. EIP Card recipients can make purchases, get cash from in-network ATMs, and transfer funds to their personal bank account without incurring any fees. They can also check their card balance online, by mobile app, or by phone without incurring fees. The EIP Card can be used online, at ATMs, or at any retail location where Visa is accepted. This free, prepaid card also provides consumer protections available to traditional bank account owners, including protections against fraud, loss, and other errors.
https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm1012
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

It is legit. I read the article the other night as it was posted on Apple news app.

They most likely did not have your bank information. And decided that this is a fast and easy way to get the money to people.
Mid-40’s
yangtui

Post by yangtui »

when it comes to situations like this, google is your friend.
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

yangtui wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:45 pm when it comes to situations like this, google is your friend.
So is Bogleheads👍
John Bogle: "It's amazing how difficult it is for a man to understand something if he's paid a small fortune not to understand it."
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:40 pm
yangtui wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:45 pm when it comes to situations like this, google is your friend.
So is Bogleheads👍
If we didn't run Google searches for people or do Vanguard technical support, we might get a little bored.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

It's legit, but the website isn't working very good yet.

Got my pin and created an account on the website, but needed to verify my Email address to finish the creation. It's one of those things where they send you a code, and you type the code into a page on the website. Took me forever. By the time they sent the code it had already expired. But eventually I got past that after a few hours. Then when I tried to transfer the payment to my checking account it said the number I entered was either larger than my payment amount or invalid. It wasn't. I tried both the exact amount of the payment and lesser numbers. I'll try again tomorrow to see if they have it fixed yet.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

Anyone get a card with the wrong last name? My last name is diff than my spouse's - but we've filed the last 20 years of tax returns using both our full names - never been an issue before. Never changed anything that would confuse IRS. Now this card arrived with his first name and my last name. Should we try to activate anyway - even though name is legally wrong? Any suggestions on what to do or who to call?
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

BogleFanGal wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:16 am Anyone get a card with the wrong last name? My last name is diff than my spouse's - but we've filed the last 20 years of tax returns using both our full names - never been an issue before. Never changed anything that would confuse IRS. Now this card arrived with his first name and my last name. Should we try to activate anyway - even though name is legally wrong? Any suggestions on what to do or who to call?
Absolutely no ideas to help you. But I can tell you if you want to use the website it asks you to enter your name when you create a user ID. I have no idea if it verifies this against the card or not.

edit: Oh wait. When I phoned to activate my card one of the menu selections had something to do with disputes (Or something like that. I didn't pay much attention since I was calling to activate.) You might try that.
yangtui

Post by yangtui »

whodidntante wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:05 pm
So is Bogleheads👍
If we didn't run Google searches for people or do Vanguard technical support, we might get a little bored.
It is strange.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

DW and I just got a physical check in the mail.
Had we gotten a debit/credit card such as the OP, we also would have thought it was as fishy as a stale can of Tuna.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

BogleFanGal wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:16 am Anyone get a card with the wrong last name? My last name is diff than my spouse's - but we've filed the last 20 years of tax returns using both our full names - never been an issue before. Never changed anything that would confuse IRS. Now this card arrived with his first name and my last name. Should we try to activate anyway - even though name is legally wrong? Any suggestions on what to do or who to call?
Probably that will cause an ach to fall. What I would do is activate the card and withdraw all the money at a fee free ATM.
Kenkat

Re: Something Fishy Here?? [CARES payment received via prepaid Visa]

Post by Kenkat »

Even the federal government doesn’t use checks anymore.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

whodidntante wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:10 am
Probably that will cause an ach to fall. What I would do is activate the card and withdraw all the money at a fee free ATM.
Thanks...may try that. I'm a bit worried that their mistake will somehow cause my 2019 return (not filed yet) or my 2020 return to be flagged or mislabeled as fraudlent somehow. But I'd really like to avoid calling the IRS at all costs - what a hassle. Wish they'd have just sent a check :oops:
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

cheese_breath wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:47 am
Absolutely no ideas to help you. But I can tell you if you want to use the website it asks you to enter your name when you create a user ID. I have no idea if it verifies this against the card or not.

edit: Oh wait. When I phoned to activate my card one of the menu selections had something to do with disputes (Or something like that. I didn't pay much attention since I was calling to activate.) You might try that.
Thanks....tempted to just take the suggestion to cash out the card...but the nagging worry is whether now the IRS has the wrong name on file and it's a much bigger issue I need to fix - or just an isolated one-time clerical screwup from the bank rushing to process and send out cards too quickly.

I was positive the mailer was a scam because of that - figuring there's no way the IRS would have the name wrong after two plus decades of tax returns with no issues.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Kenkat wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:12 am Even the federal government doesn’t use checks anymore.
Many people in the US are bank-less and typically only use cash. Debit cards like this are something useful to them. For folks with checking accounts and credit cards, these debit cards don't make much sense. How the US Treasury decided who would get a check and who would get a debit card might be interesting to learn.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

livesoft wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:39 am
Kenkat wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:12 am Even the federal government doesn’t use checks anymore.
Many people in the US are bank-less and typically only use cash. Debit cards like this are something useful to them. For folks with checking accounts and credit cards, these debit cards don't make much sense. How the US Treasury decided who would get a check and who would get a debit card might be interesting to learn.
And the answer is..... (drumroll)

The cards, issued by MetaBank, will be sent to people who did not provide the IRS with banking information and whose tax return was processed by the IRS centers in Austin, Texas, or Andover Massachusetts.
https://www.businessinsider.com/persona ... ers-2020-5
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

cheese_breath wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:08 am The cards, issued by MetaBank, will be sent to people who did not provide the IRS with banking information and whose tax return was processed by the IRS centers in Austin, Texas, or Andover Massachusetts.
https://www.businessinsider.com/persona ... ers-2020-5
I better go check my mail box.
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

So is Bogleheads👍
What? How can you be bored with endless new threads here on "why international" or "is it a good idea to pay off my mortgage" or "new safe withdrawal rate will be 3.14159%" or "should I pay this doctor bill".
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

SevenBridgesRoad wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:26 am
So is Bogleheads👍
What? How can you be bored with endless new threads here on "why international" or "is it a good idea to pay off my mortgage" or "new safe withdrawal rate will be 3.14159%" or "should I pay this doctor bill".
Or how about .... viewtopic.php?f=10&t=315315
And then the next day .... viewtopic.php?f=10&t=315400

Keeps the minds working.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

BogleFanGal wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:35 am
Thanks....tempted to just take the suggestion to cash out the card...but the nagging worry is whether now the IRS has the wrong name on file and it's a much bigger issue I need to fix - or just an isolated one-time clerical screwup from the bank rushing to process and send out cards too quickly.

I was positive the mailer was a scam because of that - figuring there's no way the IRS would have the name wrong after two plus decades of tax returns with no issues.
I wouldn’t be worried. The IRS tax records are completely separate from this. They just hacked up a custom payment batch job with insufficient testing to get out the payments and the result is dead people and their estates getting payments ... and you getting one with a mixed up name.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

birnhamwood wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:37 pm Today I received the following message in the U.S. mail, purportedly from "The Department of the Treasury."

"Enclosed is your Economic Impact Payment Card (EIPC). This prepaid debit card is being sent to you on behalf ot the U.S. Depatment of the Treassury in place of a paper check. This card contains the money you are receiving as a result of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act)."
If it really was on behalf of the U.S. Depatment of the Treassury” I would suspect some sort of foreign hacker scam, but I suspect it was just a typo in your post? :twisted:
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

BTW, there's more on this on the Government stimulus payments thread starting at my May 21st post...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=311519&p=5266195#p5266195
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

TravelGeek wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:53 am
BogleFanGal wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:35 am

I wouldn’t be worried. The IRS tax records are completely separate from this. They just hacked up a custom payment batch job with insufficient testing to get out the payments and the result is dead people and their estates getting payments ... and you getting one with a mixed up name.
Thanks....appreciate your post.
Grady

Post by Grady »

I also questioned validity of the pre-paid debit card. I was expecting a check and had seen nothing online about payment by card. Also my search online about the debit card verified its legitimacy. When I set my account online, it completed some of my information for me and it automatically pulled up the amount due to me which exactly matched the amount of the stimulus check I had independently calculated on the IRS site. So, I finalized my account as directed on www.epicard.com and directed it to transfer the full amount of the stimulus funds to one of my bank accounts. When I directed the account to transfer the total amount it failed and stated that the amount was not allowed. The piece of printed mail included information as well as the online info about a $1000 limit when using the debit card. So, I tried again using $1000 and it worked leaving a balance of the remainder. I immediately did another transfer for that balance which was less than $1000 and it worked. I was left with a correct balance of $0.00.
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

BogleFanGal wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:33 am
whodidntante wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:10 am
Thanks...may try that. I'm a bit worried that their mistake will somehow cause my 2019 return (not filed yet) or my 2020 return to be flagged or mislabeled as fraudlent somehow. But I'd really like to avoid calling the IRS at all costs - what a hassle. Wish they'd have just sent a check :oops:
I hear you on calling the IRS. I picture perhaps hours on hold and no guarantee that a solution will happen with those hours.
My mother in law enjoyed getting her check 2 days ago.
John Bogle: "It's amazing how difficult it is for a man to understand something if he's paid a small fortune not to understand it."
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Grady wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:45 pm .... The piece of printed mail included information as well as the online info about a $1000 limit when using the debit card. So, I tried again using $1000 and it worked leaving a balance of the remainder. I immediately did another transfer for that balance which was less than $1000 and it worked. I was left with a correct balance of $0.00.
I had the same problem with the transfer, but I didn't see the $1,000 limit note. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

BogleFanGal wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:16 amAnyone get a card with the wrong last name? My last name is diff than my spouse's - but we've filed the last 20 years of tax returns using both our full names - never been an issue before. Never changed anything that would confuse IRS. Now this card arrived with his first name and my last name. Should we try to activate anyway - even though name is legally wrong? Any suggestions on what to do or who to call?
LOL! :shock: :mrgreen: 8-)

Ours arrived yesterday - and like you, they mistakingly gave me my wife's last name on the card (both of our names are on the card). Same as you, been married filing jointly for around thirty years without any last name mix ups at the IRS.

I'm going to activate the card and move it into our bank account regardless of my last name being incorrect on the card. Or maybe I'll just send the card in with my 2019 taxes this year as our form of payment. 8-)

'Tis but yet another absurdity of the situation we are all going through.

CyclingDuo
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
Curious?

Post by Curious? »

If you filed married, jointly, do both people get a separately mailed card, or just the head of household? My spouse got this mailing, but is out of town, unreachable by phone, and I don't know if I should open it to see if my name is on the card also.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Curious? wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:42 am If you filed married, jointly, do both people get a separately mailed card, or just the head of household? My spouse got this mailing, but is out of town, unreachable by phone, and I don't know if I should open it to see if my name is on the card also.
DW's and mine were combined onto one card with only my name on it.
GenawithanE

Post by GenawithanE »

Good that you were cautious to check.
I can see this as a benefit to the people who have debts and whose banks have been seizing their payments to pay the debts. Treasury was on notice that banks would do that and they took the position initially that they couldn't code the payments in a way that would have prevented it.
You probably could deposit it in your bank if you wanted.
Curious?

Post by Curious? »

cheese_breath wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:45 am
Curious? wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:42 am If you filed married, jointly, do both people get a separately mailed card, or just the head of household? My spouse got this mailing, but is out of town, unreachable by phone, and I don't know if I should open it to see if my name is on the card also.
DW's and mine were combined onto one card with only my name on it.
Thank you for the information!
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

Both our names were on the actual card inside the envelope (with my last name being incorrect), but only my name (with the wrong last name) was in the address label displayed in the envelope's window. Feel fortunate that the post office still delivered it even though the name was incorrect.

We, too, have only filed married filing jointly for three decades.

You're married - so why not open it on up in spite of your husband being out of town?
:sharebeer

CyclingDuo
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

CyclingDuo wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:26 am
BogleFanGal wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:16 amAnyone get a card with the wrong last name? My last name is diff than my spouse's - but we've filed the last 20 years of tax returns using both our full names - never been an issue before. Never changed anything that would confuse IRS. Now this card arrived with his first name and my last name. Should we try to activate anyway - even though name is legally wrong? Any suggestions on what to do or who to call?

Ours arrived yesterday - and like you, they mistakingly gave me my wife's last name on the card (both of our names are on the card). Same as you, been married filing jointly for around thirty years without any last name mix ups at the IRS.

I'm going to activate the card and move it into our bank account regardless of my last name being incorrect on the card. Or maybe I'll just send the card in with my 2019 taxes this year as our form of payment. 8-)

CyclingDuo
Glad to hear I have some company. Perhaps you'd consider updating the thread if you have any problems activating? I think I may wait for the followup IRS letter to arrive before activating...I can wait 15 days. Just curious to see if the name screwup is on card only - and also to have some written backup if I have any problems.
bfeenix44

Post by bfeenix44 »

Grady wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:45 pm ... I finalized my account as directed on www.epicard.com and directed it to transfer the full amount of the stimulus funds to one of my bank accounts. When I directed the account to transfer the total amount it failed and stated that the amount was not allowed. The piece of printed mail included information as well as the online info about a $1000 limit when using the debit card. So, I tried again using $1000 and it worked leaving a balance of the remainder. I immediately did another transfer for that balance which was less than $1000 and it worked. I was left with a correct balance of $0.00.
I tried this, as well, and transactions were confirmed on their end. I'll check w/ my bank Tues to confirm there, but seems you have to bide by $1,000 per transfer amount.

Thanks, Grady!!
Portfolio here: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=345748&p=5936072#p5936072
Topic Author
birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood »

My brother has more income than I do and and he and wife got $1400 back whilst DW and I got only $370.

What the hey!

Thanks. I'm the OP.
Monster99

Post by Monster99 »

DW has a different last name and the check has both of our names (correctly spelled) with the total amount for both of us....
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

bfeenix44 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:05 pm
Grady wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:45 pm ... I finalized my account as directed on www.epicard.com and directed it to transfer the full amount of the stimulus funds to one of my bank accounts. When I directed the account to transfer the total amount it failed and stated that the amount was not allowed. The piece of printed mail included information as well as the online info about a $1000 limit when using the debit card. So, I tried again using $1000 and it worked leaving a balance of the remainder. I immediately did another transfer for that balance which was less than $1000 and it worked. I was left with a correct balance of $0.00.
I tried this, as well, and transactions were confirmed on their end. I'll check w/ my bank Tues to confirm there, but seems you have to bide by $1,000 per transfer amount.

Thanks, Grady!!
It worked for me too. Two transactions under $1,000 each.
Constellation

Post by Constellation »

BogleFanGal wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:16 amAnyone get a card with the wrong last name? My last name is diff than my spouse's - but we've filed the last 20 years of tax returns using both our full names - never been an issue before.
I'm in the same boat; does anyone have updates on the best way to move forward?
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

birnhamwood wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:16 pm My brother has more income than I do and and he and wife got $1400 back whilst DW and I got only $370.

What the hey!

Thanks. I'm the OP.
Any kids under 17?
Topic Author
birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood »

"Any kids under 17?"

No for me and for brother.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Yes they do. My son got his $1200 via paper check.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

BogleFanGal wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:52 pm

CyclingDuo
Glad to hear I have some company. Perhaps you'd consider updating the thread if you have any problems activating? I think I may wait for the followup IRS letter to arrive before activating...I can wait 15 days. Just curious to see if the name screwup is on card only - and also to have some written backup if I have any problems.
Update...

Activated the card today, set a PIN#, then went to my bank and moved all $2400 over in one transaction. I mentioned that some were saying here that there was a limit of $1000, but she said they had been doing the full amount on cards with no issues. She said the first transaction was free, then it would be $5 for each subsequent transaction. Of course I went for the all at once free method. :beer

The teller did ask for my ID and noted that the last name on the stimulus card was incorrect, but after confirming my SS # she ran the transaction and all went smoothly. Had my wife gone in and made the transfer, there wouldn't have been any questions as her name was correct on the card.

CyclingDuo
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

CyclingDuo wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:58 pm
BogleFanGal wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:52 pm

CyclingDuo
Update...

Activated the card today, set a PIN#, then went to my bank and moved all $2400 over in one transaction. I mentioned that some were saying here that there was a limit of $1000, but she said they had been doing the full amount on cards with no issues. She said the first transaction was free, then it would be $5 for each subsequent transaction. Of course I went for the all at once free method. :beer

The teller did ask for my ID and noted that the last name on the stimulus card was incorrect, but after confirming my SS # she ran the transaction and all went smoothly. Had my wife gone in and made the transfer, there wouldn't have been any questions as her name was correct on the card.

CyclingDuo
Thanks for the update - appreciate it. Glad all worked out. :beer I was hoping to transfer the card into our joint checking account virtually vs having to visit a bank in person, so will have to see how that works out. I think having both your names on there helped your case...my name isn't on the card at all - just my spouses - and I honestly don't see them accepting it. This bank tends to be a stickler for details and the wrong last name is one heck of a detail.

If it's rejected, I guess plan b is to contact the IRS - which i absolutely dread doing. I have no patience to sit on hold for an hour or more. Especially, since I'm not sure their call center reps will know how to help.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

cheese_breath wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:21 pm
bfeenix44 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:05 pm

Thanks, Grady!!
It worked for me too. Two transactions under $1,000 each.
Grady and bfeenix44 ... Have your transfers showed up in your bank accounts yet? How many business days did it take?
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

So what protections are there if the intended recipient's card is stolen put of their mailbox?

Sounds like it would be easy to drain the card via a few ATM withdrawals...
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

ncbill wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:45 pm So what protections are there if the intended recipient's card is stolen put of their mailbox?

Sounds like it would be easy to drain the card via a few ATM withdrawals...
You need a pin to use an ATM. To get a pin you need to supply the last 6 digits of the intended owner's SS number.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Constellation wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:48 pm
BogleFanGal wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:16 amAnyone get a card with the wrong last name? My last name is diff than my spouse's - but we've filed the last 20 years of tax returns using both our full names - never been an issue before.
I'm in the same boat; does anyone have updates on the best way to move forward?
A card was sent to our address with "Spouse_FIrst_Name My_Last_Name" which is someone who does not exist. My spouse just activated the card online and made two $1,000 ACH transactions yesterday which have not appeared yet into our checking account.