Getting started with Dashlane

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
boblink

Post by boblink » Sat May 16, 2020 9:18 am

Hello, I plan to use Dashlane on my W10 computer AND on my phone and believe that I download the Dashlane my computer, create a private/personalized password and then import my passwords (from W10) to Dashlane.

Being that I will purchase Dashlane because my passwords are not very secure and/or I have been using the same password(s) on numerous Websites sites, I will need Dashlane to generate new passwords for me and assume that this will be time-consuming so I will start with websites that have "sensitive" information,.......... and eventually, finish up with Dashlane generating new passwords for websites that I seldomly use.

My question is, do I have to duplicate these steps on my phone, or do I install Dashlane on my phone and after when I enter my private password, Dashlane already will have my passwords saved and will be ready to be used with my phone?

Any other hints, suggestions, advice, .......... for a new Dashlane user would be appreciated

Thank you
Bob

Gadget

Re: Getting started with Dashlane

Post by Gadget » Sat May 16, 2020 10:06 am

I've only used Dashlane for a couple day trial, but all cloud based password managers will sync across devices. So if you update passwords on a desktop, your phone will automatically get those updates. Sometimes you have to hit resync vault or logout/login to refresh it if you're checking instantly after updating passwords on another device, but usually fairly immediate for it to sync across devices.

Personally, I'd recommend trying out other password managers. You can get free trials of all of them. If you're managing passwords for a family, I think 1password is much better than Dashlane for shared vault management. If you're an individual user, I think Bitwarden is just as good as Dashlane with a much better price of free. But most of that is subjective, so I'd recommend you try them all out before you start putting all your passwords in one. Although it's usually pretty easy to import/export all of your passwords from one manager to another.

L82GAME

Post by L82GAME » Sat May 16, 2020 10:16 am

boblink wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:18 am
Hello, I plan to use Dashlane on my W10 computer AND on my phone and believe that I download the Dashlane my computer, create a private/personalized password and then import my passwords (from W10) to Dashlane.

Being that I will purchase Dashlane because my passwords are not very secure and/or I have been using the same password(s) on numerous Websites sites, I will need Dashlane to generate new passwords for me and assume that this will be time-consuming so I will start with websites that have "sensitive" information,.......... and eventually, finish up with Dashlane generating new passwords for websites that I seldomly use.

My question is, do I have to duplicate these steps on my phone, or do I install Dashlane on my phone and after when I enter my private password, Dashlane already will have my passwords saved and will be ready to be used with my phone?

Any other hints, suggestions, advice, .......... for a new Dashlane user would be appreciated

Thank you
Bob
With one account, Dashlane updates across all platforms that you use for Dashlane. Be sure to also use 2FA. I updated all accounts over time, as you plan to do.

Topic Author
boblink

Post by boblink » Sat May 16, 2020 10:24 am

Thank you Gadget, I appreciate your help
Bob

Topic Author
boblink

Post by boblink » Sat May 16, 2020 10:25 am

Thank you for your help L82GAME
Bob

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Sat May 16, 2020 10:47 am

As others have said, yes, it synchs. Do your setup on one device, then do a simple install on the others. Except for the free version that is - but you said "purchase", so that would be either their Premium or Premium Plus packages - and they both DO synch.

If you want to try before committing, you can always start with the free version on one device, use it for a time, and then migrate to the paid package. Once you upgrade, the other devices then can be easily synched. I'm a Dashlane Premium subscriber (since 2018), and I'm happy with it. The two paid packages also give you a VPN, and some other features.

Topic Author
boblink

Post by boblink » Sat May 16, 2020 11:17 am

Thank you for your thoughts Rick
Bob

Topic Author
boblink

Generating a password with Dashlane for a Website that you already have created a password with

Post by boblink » Thu May 21, 2020 10:11 am

Hi guys, so if I understand this correctly, you can manage passwords that are/were generated by Dashline within the Dashlane program but you need to physically sign-in to each of the websites that you currently have a Password for and manually change the password on the Website to the password that was generated by Dashlane (probably using "cut & paste").
Hopefully, this is correct otherwise I am not sure if I should be using a Password Manager.
Thank you guys
bOb

L82GAME

Re: Generating a password with Dashlane for a Website that you already have created a password with

Post by L82GAME » Thu May 21, 2020 10:47 am

boblink wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:11 am
Hi guys, so if I understand this correctly, you can manage passwords that are/were generated by Dashline within the Dashlane program but you need to physically sign-in to each of the websites that you currently have a Password for and manually change the password on the Website to the password that was generated by Dashlane (probably using "cut & paste").
Hopefully, this is correct otherwise I am not sure if I should be using a Password Manager.
Thank you guys
bOb
Correct, that’s what I did.

DownToThis

Post by DownToThis » Thu May 21, 2020 10:57 am

I've used dashlane for about 2 years now and like it. You do have to go to the websites to change the password initially and sometimes dashlanes password generator doesn't conform to the specific rules of the website so that can be a pain. Otherwise it does sink through the app and Chrome has a function so it can automatically fill in the passwords to your websites (other browsers probably do as well)

My wife is constantly frustrated with it because she prefers to use a book to write her passwords down and often forgets the master password. I find it to be valuable though

Topic Author
boblink

Post by boblink » Thu May 21, 2020 11:15 am

Thank you for your help Game D2T, I was afraid you would say that.
So what reason(s) would someone buy the Dashlane Manager program when ALL Password Manager programs require that you do the exact same thing as Dashlane?
One thing that I can think of is that if you change/update a password with Dashlane it will "manage" (change) the password in all the appropriate locations within Dashlane whereas other Passport Management programs might leave both internal AND external updates to the end-user.
Thank you for your help guys
bOb

DownToThis

Post by DownToThis » Thu May 21, 2020 11:44 am

boblink wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:15 am
Thank you for your help Game D2T, I was afraid you would say that.
So what reason(s) would someone buy the Dashlane Manager program when ALL Password Manager programs require that you do the exact same thing as Dashlane?
One thing that I can think of is that if you change/update a password with Dashlane it will "manage" (change) the password in all the appropriate locations within Dashlane whereas other Passport Management programs might leave both internal AND external updates to the end-user.
bOb
Honestly I'm not sure of the differences. I remember we had our passwords in different (likely unsecure) places and I looked up different password managers and this one got good recommendations/ reviews. I liked that they are synced and the app works well. If you can find a reliable one that does this for free then I'd say to use that instead. It looks like I pay the $4/month and I'll be sticking with it.

Topic Author
boblink

Post by boblink » Thu May 21, 2020 11:58 am

Thank you D2T, I think that I'll do what you did being that Dashlane is rated as the best Dashlane Manager available.
bOb

Topic Author
boblink

the proverbial, one last question

Post by boblink » Fri May 22, 2020 2:05 pm

Hey guys, one more question about saving passwords that were generated by Dashlane and were changed on the respective Website which I will use Google Gmail as an example. When I sign-in to Gmail and change my password (to the password generated by Dashlane) Google will ask me if I want to save the (new) password. What have you guys been doing in this type of scenario, allowing Google to save the password or go to Dashlane and sign-in from there?
Thank you again guys
Bob

Topic Author
boblink

Saving Dashlane Generated Passwords

Post by boblink » Fri May 22, 2020 4:52 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Hello, after I save a password(s) that was generated by Dashlane and I need to manually change the password on the respective Website (I will use Google Gmail as an example). I then would sign-in to Gmail and change my password to the Generate Password created by Dashlane).
Google will ask me if I want to save the (new) Gmail password and my question is, what should I do in this scenario, allowing Google to save the password or not allow Google to save the new password and go to (use) Dashlane to sign-in to my Gmail account?
Thank you guys
bOb

bob60014

Re: Saving Dashlane Generated Passwords

Post by bob60014 » Fri May 22, 2020 5:00 pm

Answer no, Google will not save the new password. Dashlane will auto fill this for you.
Also, Go back into Google- Settings- Passwords and turn off "Save Passwords" You wont have Google asking to save any passwords anymore.

Topic Author
boblink

Saving Dashlane Generated Passwords

Post by boblink » Fri May 22, 2020 5:22 pm

Thank you for your help Bob, I am a bit confused when you say "Google will not save the new password. Dashlane will auto fill this for you" the Dashlane will auto-fill this for you is what I don't understand.
I thought that the Dashlane Password Generated function generates a long-safe password and updates the password on all affected internal locations in Dashlane but does not update the affected website in my example it would be the Gmail password, I would have to do that manually.
I would appreciate it if you could please steer me in the right direction Bob since I apparently am out in leftfield as how Dashlane works?
bOb

mhalley

Re: Saving Dashlane Generated Passwords

Post by mhalley » Sat May 23, 2020 12:29 am

If google saves the password, you are negating the positive aspects of having a PW manager, as anyone can sit down at your computer and login to all your accounts. To login to your accounts, the person would need to know your dashlane pow to gain access.
In order for dashlane to auto fill the POW you need to install the extension on your browser.
https://support.dashlane.com/hc/en-us/a ... /202624982

Lacrocious

Post by Lacrocious » Sat May 23, 2020 10:22 am

I don't use Dashlane, but have tried it in the past and preferred another for various reasons. I am sure Dashlane is fine, just not my choice - and password manager choice can be a highly charged discussion.

I am sure Dashlane and other password managers recommend turning off saving of passwords by your individual web browsers and to rely on the your chosen password manager's method of entering the saved ID and Password into the website. This way you are keeping your passwords only in your chosen password manager, not multiple managers. This also eliminates the question of which password is "correct" - if you change a password and only one of the multiple password managers saves the update. Then one is old and can cause you headaches in the future.
- L

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Sat May 23, 2020 1:09 pm

Lacrocious wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:22 am

I am sure Dashlane and other password managers recommend turning off saving of passwords by your individual web browsers and to rely on the your chosen password manager's method of entering the saved ID and Password into the website.
Actually, Dashlane goes one step further (maybe others do too). It automatically turns off password saving in Chrome, after sucking in all the passwords you've already saved in Chrome.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Sat May 23, 2020 1:11 pm

boblink wrote:

Personally, I prefer to pay for security software. Seems like a better business model.

Topic Author
boblink

Post by boblink » Sat May 23, 2020 1:17 pm

Thanks guys, I think that the best thing to do is create a Dashlane account and start playing around with it.
bOb

L82GAME

Post by L82GAME » Sat May 23, 2020 2:30 pm

michaelingp wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:11 pm
boblink wrote:

Personally, I prefer to pay for security software. Seems like a better business model.
+1. There’s no free lunch. What’s the hidden/unapparent cost for “free” software?

Cash

Post by Cash » Mon May 25, 2020 12:51 pm

I've been using Dashlane for about a year now and like it, primarly because my spouse and I can share an account that I keep updated with all of our passwords. The only annoyance for me is that I can't figure out how to get Dashlane to store login credentials for a website with just the Chrome browser extension. Instead, the extension redirects me to the Dashlane application, and then I have to manually enter the website, login, and password.

Topic Author
boblink

Post by boblink » Mon May 25, 2020 3:24 pm

Hi Cash, you wrote " how to get Dashlane to store login credentials for a website with just the Chrome browser extension. Instead, the extension redirects me to the Dashlane application, and then I have to manually enter the website, login, and password" are you referring to Google.com or Gmail, or are you having this issue with another application(s)?
Thank you Cash
Bob

Cash

Post by Cash » Mon May 25, 2020 3:38 pm

boblink wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:24 pm
Hi Cash, you wrote " how to get Dashlane to store login credentials for a website with just the Chrome browser extension. Instead, the extension redirects me to the Dashlane application, and then I have to manually enter the website, login, and password" are you referring to Google.com or Gmail, or are you having this issue with another application(s)?
Thank you Cash
Bob
This is using the Dashlane browser extension for the Google Chrome browser on any website.

Topic Author
boblink

Dashlane

Post by boblink » Mon May 25, 2020 4:33 pm

I contact Daslane to confirm that I would first need to create a private/personalized password, then import my passwords to Dashlane and have Dashlane to generate new passwords for me and will need to copy every password for every account and log-in to the appropriate account and change my password to the Dashlane generated password. When I am finished, I will sign-in to Dashlane to log-in to my accounts instead of accessing the website of the specific account and logging into my account from their website and Dashlane replied"

"Instead of doing it this way, I would suggest you to first import your passwords to Dashlane, and then to use the Password Changer feature. This feature allows you to change passwords for several websites without you having to log in to each of them. You can simply select the websites on which you want to change the passwords inside Dashlane app, and Dashlane does it for you."

I am VERY confused, I have started a few threads on this subject leaving me to believe what I originally thought was true which is that Dashlane does NOT do the handshaking with the website to change your existing password to a password that was generated by Dashlane and would appreciate your help in understanding (which I obviously am not able to do) who/what is correct?

Thank you
Bob

Generator515

Re: Dashlane

Post by Generator515 » Mon May 25, 2020 5:08 pm

For certain sites Dashlane has the ability to run a script and change the password automatically without you needing to leave their interface. In my past experience it was only major sites and some of the times it failed and then I had to change the normal way.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon May 25, 2020 5:52 pm

I've been using the paid version of Dashlane for a number of years after trying out the free version. I'm very pleased with the program and plan to renew for the two-year option when my current paid period expires. It works seamlessly across multiple computers, a tablet, a Chromebook and my phone.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Mon May 25, 2020 6:31 pm

I've never bothered with the function that allows mass changing of passwords in Dashlane. I don't actually see that function on the Android Dashlane app (odd, and maybe I'm just missing it), but here is how to access it on the pc-based app or via the browser add-in:

From the PC-based app:
Tools
Password Changer
select from that list of sites that are compatible with this function, you then do however many passwords you wish - many at a time, or a few

From the browser add-in:
Click the menu (three vertical dots)
Password Changer
select from list

But here's the catch, and now I'm curious how Dashlane compares for mass password changes to other managers, not all websites are compatible with this function. In fact, and I thought I had credentials on a ton of sites, not one of my sites is on that list. So, I couldn't use the function myself. You will see a button when you do the above to "see the full list of sites" that work, they say 100's, but I think the list is pretty lacking.

Still, Dashlane does make it easy to change passwords and to, if you want, generate them for you. Whenever you change a password, Dashlane will ask whether you want it saved (you typically will, replacing the old one, with history still available if it all goes wrong). To change your passwords using Dashlane: make sure Dashlane is active, sign on to a site, use that website's change password function, and either 1)let Dashlane generate a password for you or 2)do it yourself, and then let Dashlane save it for all future visits to that website.

Just to clarify your first paragraph - once you have Dashlane setup, you can EITHER access a given website by the same way you always do, OR you can use the Dashlane browser add-in to navigate to the site. In BOTH cases, your sign-on screen fields will then use Dashlane to populate the login and password fields. For Android Apps, start App and Dashlane will be there (almost always !?!?). But you won't need to copy each password. Import them all at one time into Dashlane when you get started, they will then all be there.

Going forward, you can tell Dashlane whether or not to automatically log you into a website whenever you go there (via "automatically log me in" option). You can also require the entry of your Dashlane Master Password each time or not. It's easy and flexible.

I hope I'm not confusing things. Try a few sites, and this will probably quickly become clearer.

JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH » Mon May 25, 2020 7:38 pm

I’m a very satisfied user of the paid version of Dashlane. My husband and I share an account and have more than 500 unique, strong passwords set for our online accounts. We took a phased approach to implementation, starting with the most critical accounts, and eventually getting it 100% implemented.

Security software does NOTHING to address the vulnerability of insecure, easily compromised, re-used passwords. You need both.

Topic Author
boblink

Post by boblink » Tue May 26, 2020 9:48 am

Thank you Mel, I am going to pull the trigger and purchase Dashlane this week
Thank
bOb

Topic Author
boblink

Post by boblink » Tue May 26, 2020 9:52 am

Thank you Janey, most of our passwords are "insecure, easily compromised, re-used" which is why I am looking at Password Manager software and I don't think my wife and I have 500 passwords but you only need 1 vulnerable password to be hacked.
Thank you for your comments.
bOb

Topic Author
boblink

Dashlane

Post by boblink » Tue May 26, 2020 9:56 am

Thank you for explaining your experience with Daslane in PLAIN English Generator.
I am planning to purchase Dashlane this week.
bOb

Topic Author
boblink

Post by boblink » Tue May 26, 2020 10:05 am

Thank you for your help (again) Detroit.
Yes, you are confusing me but I was already confused when I asked my question(s) but you helped clarify a few things and as you and others have suggested I need strat using the program to get a feel of what it's like and it appears to be the top-rated Password Manager so if I have trouble using/understanding Dashlane, I'm in big doo-doo.
Thank you again, I appreciate your help Detroit
bObo

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Tue May 26, 2020 11:17 am

Boblink, 2 more tips to help with the learning curve:

Pick the device you use most often (pc, tablet, phone) and download the free version of Dashlane to just that device first. Play with it, use it, try different websites that you use - just on that one device. Then, you can then upgrade by purchasing the Premium version from within Dashlane, which then synchs multiple devices (after you've loaded Premium onto each device). Using this two-step approach (free first, purchase second) won't cost you any extra time or effort. Upgrading will be seamless, and whatever you did on the free version will still be there after you load Premium and sign in. At the same time, if you don't like the results, you can easily try a few competitors and compare it all - before expending much time or money.

Also, check out the Dashlane channel on YouTube. These may be too basic, but they are very short instructional videos that will show you what you can do, and how you do it. Things will look much easier once you've seen this in action. Here's just one example of a decent video (40 seconds)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyTXO-8dkTA

Topic Author
boblink

Dashlane

Post by boblink » Tue May 26, 2020 7:43 pm

Thanks Rick, your suggestions are VERY helpful
bOb

Generator515

Post by Generator515 » Tue May 26, 2020 8:44 pm

boblink wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:56 am
Thank you for explaining your experience with Daslane in PLAIN English Generator.
I am planning to purchase Dashlane this week.
bOb

No problem. I should mention I am transitioning from Dashlane to 1Password.

1Password doesn't have the auto change password script but I am finding it the better option for Android mobile. In particular, I am finding it more reliable and easier when I create a new login of it capturing the login when I am creating.

Dashlane worked for me and I still have some premium but the ability to have a family plan and the smoothness of 1Password is luring me in.

Topic Author
boblink

Questions from a new Dashlane User

Post by boblink » Fri May 29, 2020 10:54 am

Hi guys, I installed Dashlane Premium on a 1-month trial to get a feel of it and have a few questions starting with I imported my password from the websites that I have an account with and noticed that most of them are listed numerous times (with the same username). Has anyone experienced this as well?
Also, when I click on Password Changer, I am advised that "Your credentials aren't supported by Password Changer yet". Anyone know why or what I might have done wrong?
bOb

Topic Author
boblink

Dashlane -->Delta airlines sign-in issue

Post by boblink » Sun May 31, 2020 11:38 am

Hello, I am a new Dashlane user and am in the process of changing my passwords using Dashlane Password Changer which is a LONG tef=dious task and am having a problem with the Delta Airlines website. I copied the Dashlane generated password and changed it on the Delta website then tried to
sign-in on the Delta website which had SIGN-IN on top, I clicked on it and a popup window appeared asking for my UserID which is my Delta Skymiles number and password with the green Dashlane icon on the far right corner. I clicked on the Dashlane icon and nothing happened so I manually enter my Skymiles number and the Dashlane generated password and was logged in.
I repeated the process and the same thing happened, Dashlane was able to bring me to the Delta home page but it did not populate the UserID or password fields that were saved by Dashlane.
Has anyone else run into this problem?
Thank you
bOb

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 31, 2020 4:31 pm

boblink - In order to provide appropriate advice, it's best to keep all the information in one spot. You've started a new thread for every question regarding Dashlane. What's been discussed before is quickly lost. I merged all of your Dashlane questions into a single thread.

Please use this thread for all Dashlane concerns.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
boblink

Post by boblink » Sun May 31, 2020 5:17 pm

Thanks Ms. Geek

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Sun May 31, 2020 7:09 pm

boblink - here are a few tips for clearing up the problems you are experiencing

The message "Your credentials aren't supported by password changer yet". No, it is nothing you are doing wrong. I get the exact same message, although NONE of my logins are on their list of websites that are supported. If some of yours are, and you are still getting this message, there may be a temporary issue with the password changer itself. I don't know this to be true, but I did see a message from Dashlane Support on Reddit (from 1 month ago) saying that they were having issues with their password changer and were "working to fix it". Check this list of websites that support the password changer, if none of the websites you are using match, that is the reason. Otherwise, you can always message Dashlane support and add your case to their problem list. But, in either case, it's nothing you are doing incorrectly. And Plan B will always be to just change passwords for each site as needed in Dashlane, it's just the mass password change function that is at issue here.
Here's the list of all the current websites that support Dashlane Password Changer right now:
https://www.dashlane.com/password-changer-list

Duplicate passwords. Common issue when first importing. The recommended procedure is basically to identify and manually delete duplicates, being careful not to delete the wrong one. The good news is this problem is pretty much a one-time transition issue from your importing. Here is a link to the complete instructions for this step from Dashlane:
https://support.dashlane.com/hc/en-us/a ... %20website.

Individual website logon issues, such as your Delta website issue. In general, when I've had this type of problem, I resolved it by manually checking a few things. Open the Dashlane app and verify and/or edit these fields for the problem website:
Populate EITHER the email field or the login field, depending on which you are using at signin, but not both.
Check that the website address listed by (saved in) Dashlane is exactly the same in every detail as what you are actually using to sign-on. If not, edit it manually in the Dashlane app, or simply copy the full website address into that field using copy/paste from your browser. At least, as far as my experience goes, this has always resolved these types of problems.

If all this is getting you discouraged, please don't let it. For what it is worth, within a few days of my own start with Dashlane, everything was working smoothly for me and it began saving me far more time than I ever expected. And allowed me to use better quality passwords, and change them more easily than my old manual methods. Of course, I'm sure that is true with Dashlane competitors as well. So, hang in there!

Topic Author
boblink

Post by boblink » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:25 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Rick, I was about to kiss Dashlane goodbye yesterday but I slept on it and will give it another try.
Like you, the websites that are supported for Password Changer are useless, the websites that I assume 99.9% of users would like to ensure are secure are bank accounts, credit card cards, brokerage accounts, Gmail, Yahoo mail, Hotmail,.... and not the companies listed on https://www.dashlane.com/password-changer-list.
BTW, I made a mistake when I asked for help using Password Changer to change my Delta Airlines credentials, I have been changing passwords using Password Generator which IS a very tedious process i.e. generate a password, copy the password, sign-in to the website that you want to change, select to change the password and paste the Dashlane generated password, save the password in Dashlane and sign in with Dashlane to verify that it works and then copy the password so that there is a copy of the password outside of Dashlane..... do that for a few hundred websites and you're finished.
Thank you again for your help Rick and as well as listening to me vent my Dashlane frustration
bOb