Started investing with lump sum at ATH / windfall coming in 2 weeks, lump sum again?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Stef

Started investing with lump sum at ATH / windfall coming in 2 weeks, lump sum again?

Post by Stef » Wed May 20, 2020 6:47 am

Dear all

I started investing in December 2019 after I made this thread: Afraid to take the leap

Got my bonus on February 20th 2020 and also invested it directly. Well, the first months of my investing career were a wild ride for sure. Seeing my life savings (30k, as I'm 29 and recently started saving seriously) go down -35% in 4 weeks was hard! I even got to the point where I was thinking about buying SPXU with half of my assets. IBKR then told me that I'm not allowed to buy leveraged ETFs, lol lucky me. At least I learned a lot about myself in the last 3 months. My investing beliefs (ignore news, buy and hold, stay the course, never do market timing, invest as soon as it's available) got stronger and I'm very glad I learned all these things so early with just 30k invested. Now I'm adding 2k/month and just let it ride. Till I reach my FIRE number.

I'll get a windfall in ~2 weeks of 18k. So 9 months worth of saving. I knew in February that I'll get that money and when the SP500 got close to 2200 I was joking with my friends and said: Just wait and see, I'll invest it when SP500 is around 3000 again (June) only to see a new low right after I do it, lol. Now I'm thinking if this joke might become reality? I got half of the story right (pretty exact actually), what if the 2nd part plays out like that? I'm I being masochistic if I just lump sum it again? Should I try DCA this time?

Logic tells me that I should ignore my bad luck and just do it. Again. Hoping this time will be different.

Any thoughts?

Best Regards, Stef

FiveK

Re: Started investing with lump sum at ATH / windfall coming in 2 weeks, lump sum again?

Post by FiveK » Wed May 20, 2020 7:01 am

Do you remember Bob (linked in your previous thread)?

augryphon

Re: Started investing with lump sum at ATH / windfall coming in 2 weeks, lump sum again?

Post by augryphon » Wed May 20, 2020 7:06 am

congratulations on jumping into the fire (and also into the FIRE)!!

My company opened it's 401k on September 1, 1987. I started contributing on September 6, 1987. After I made 3 contributions, the market dropped ~20% in one day, the biggest one day drop in history! 100% of my net worth was in that market. I was pretty shaken, but at close of market that day my 4th contribution automatically went in and I bought at 78% of the previous cost. DCA works, if you don't think you're smarter that the market and try to time the market.

18k is not a lot 20 years from now it won't matter much whether you lumped it in or DCA it, so do whatever is comfortable for you.

Given the uncertainty today, I'd probably DCA it at $1k a week over the next 18. If the market takes a big drop, you can always toss the remainder in at that time if you like. Regardless, as large a transaction as this seems to you now, your outcome will not be changed much no matter which you choose.

Topic Author
Stef

Post by Stef » Wed May 20, 2020 7:12 am

FiveK wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:01 am
Do you remember Bob (linked in your previous thread)?
Yes I do but who wants to be Bob? I don't want to be the worst market timer, just average :mrgreen:

Topic Author
Stef

Post by Stef » Wed May 20, 2020 10:18 am

augryphon wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:06 am

My company opened it's 401k on September 1, 1987. I started contributing on September 6, 1987. After I made 3 contributions, the market dropped ~20% in one day, the biggest one day drop in history! 100% of my net worth was in that market. I was pretty shaken, but at close of market that day my 4th contribution automatically went in and I bought at 78% of the previous cost. DCA works, if you don't think you're smarter that the market and try to time the market.

18k is not a lot 20 years from now it won't matter much whether you lumped it in or DCA it, so do whatever is comfortable for you.

Given the uncertainty today, I'd probably DCA it at $1k a week over the next 18. If the market takes a big drop, you can always toss the remainder in at that time if you like. Regardless, as large a transaction as this seems to you now, your outcome will not be changed much no matter which you choose.
Thanks for sharing your story!

I kind of want to DCA this time, but at the same time I know that lump sum will beat DCA in 2/3 of the cases. The economical situation shouldn't matter. I lost 2 times with lump sum investing (December 2019 and February 2020). But if I stick to lump sum investing windfalls for the next 20 years it should lead to better returns than always DCA it? So the rational thing would be to lump sum it again?

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed May 20, 2020 10:23 am

Stef wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:47 am
I'll get a windfall in ~2 weeks of 18k.
I did not look at your other thread but $18K might be a good amount to put into;

1) An emergency fund
2) A car fund to pay cash for your next car
3) A house down-payment fund.

If you do not already have all of those then that would be worth considering.

retired@50

Post by retired@50 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:25 am

Stef wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:18 am

I kind of want to DCA this time, but at the same time I know that lump sum will beat DCA in 2/3 of the cases. The economical situation shouldn't matter. I lost 2 times with lump sum investing (December 2019 and February 2020). But if I stick to lump sum investing windfalls for the next 20 years it should lead to better returns than always DCA it? So the rational thing would be to lump sum it again?
The fact that you're keeping track "I lost 2 times with lump sum investing", even over the short term, since both of these investments are less than a year old, tells me you should use DCA and stop thinking about it. Enough of the angst. Set up some automatic contribution schedules and read a good book. Tune out the noise of Mr. Market.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.

Chrono Triggered

Post by Chrono Triggered » Wed May 20, 2020 10:28 am

Stef wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:47 am
At least I learned a lot about myself in the last 3 months. My investing beliefs (ignore news, buy and hold, stay the course, never do market timing, invest as soon as it's available) got stronger and I'm very glad I learned all these things so early with just 30k invested. Now I'm adding 2k/month and just let it ride. Till I reach my FIRE number.
This part of your post conflicts with the question you have at the latter part of your post.

dvvader

Post by dvvader » Wed May 20, 2020 2:01 pm

At the end of your investing career, the timing of when you invest this $18K will be inconsequential. Just plug your nose and dive in.

augryphon

Post by augryphon » Thu May 21, 2020 9:27 pm

Stef wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:18 am
augryphon wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:06 am
Thanks for sharing your story!

I believe you are misinterpreting the data on lump v. DCA. Lump beats DCA in one very specific case, ie, you put in the lump on day 1, vs began your DCA on day 1. This happens because over a long time period, the market generally rises slowly, and this only works if your invest your lump as soon as you get it. So the market is rising slowly and you put in your DCA after the lump, naturally the lump wins. If you study the case of investing the DCA v investing the lump on the final day of the DCA, the DCA wins 2/3 of the time.

What you are proposing is holding your lump and hoping for a good buying opportunity, that’s attempting to outguess the market and it will eat your lunch. And while you wait for a good time to buy, you are losing out on what the DCA could be earning in the market.

As I said before, for this one transaction it doesn’t matter much, but over a lifetime, this strategy will cost you a lot of money. If you are more comfortable investing a lump, that’s perfectly fine, just do it on day one rather than waiting and hoping.

I hope all this makes sense!

Topic Author
Stef

Post by Stef » Fri May 22, 2020 12:18 am

augryphon wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:27 pm
What you are proposing is holding your lump and hoping for a good buying opportunity, that’s attempting to outguess the market and it will eat your lunch. And while you wait for a good time to buy, you are losing out on what the DCA could be earning in the market.
No no, never said anything about wating for a dip.

I'm thinking about investing it as soon as it's available.