[Government stimulus payments]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Vogatrice

Re: [Government stimulus payments]

Post by Vogatrice » Fri May 22, 2020 12:08 am

On further reflection - I am very offended by this lackadaisical approach. All the family members who have lost loved ones recently now get physical reminders of their loss and then are told it is their responsibility to use their time and money to return a cheque or direct deposit. If they fail to do so (not me, I’ll do it), presumably the IRS will use its heavy-handed collection techniques to harass people and garnish it back. This is incredibly unproductive and wasteful, not to mention emotionally upsetting after all the effort expended to settle estates and file tax returns. And it could have been fixed with a few lines of code to screen for the word “deceased” on the payment list. Apparently the IRS was able to screen out high income earners, spouses of immigrants or other conditions that made people ineligible for stimulus checks. This is sloppy and an unnecessary drag on the economic recovery and my peace of mind. Rant over.

MtnBiker

Re: [Government stimulus payments]

Post by MtnBiker » Fri May 22, 2020 10:36 pm

Posted today at https://blog.ssa.gov/update-on-economic ... #more-4855:
Update on Economic Impact Payments for Social Security and SSI Beneficiaries
Posted on May 22, 2020 by Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Beginning today, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will issue Economic Impact Payments (EIP) to approximately 1.4 million SSI recipients with representative payees and 10.4 million Social Security beneficiaries with representative payees.

The IRS will issue the EIPs via direct deposit and Direct Express starting today, May 22, to the same direct deposit account or Direct Express card as the recipient’s monthly Social Security or SSI payment. Paper check EIPs will be mailed starting May 27.
Today my disabled adult son's payment status changed from "Payment Status Not Available" to "We scheduled your payment to be deposited on May 28, 2020".
Last edited by MtnBiker on Fri May 22, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.