Should I buy a new rice cooker from Zojirushi?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ResearchMed

Re: Should I buy a new rice cooker from Zojirushi?

Post by ResearchMed »

m@ver1ck wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:16 am We bought rice cookers several times - but the insides of the vessel holding the rice inevitably would start peeling off in 6 months. We now just use a heavy steel pot.
What is the substance that peels off?
Does it also shed/peel is small bits that might get ingested?

Is there a version that is not - or is less - susceptible to peeling?

Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Alf 101

Post by Alf 101 »

We own a slightly smaller version of the 2nd Zojirushi rice cooker the OP posted -- which is now going on to its 15th year. When (or if) it dies, I will buy another one the same day.

Interestingly, I'm a big advocate that there's no room for single-taskers in your kitchen. You can always cook rice on your stovetop, but for ease, convenience, and perfect quality each time, this thing is money. We've found this to also be the case with practically any other grain -- white rice, brown rice, red rice, green rice, quinoa, bulgar, steel cut oats, any porridge, etc. The timer function is extremely handy, so you can set it to have the same quality grain when you wake up or come home. The overall footprint on the counter is small, and it cleans up very easily.

We did have to replace the bowl a couple of years ago. As others have noted, there is a non-stick coating. If you use the plastic rice paddle that's included, as opposed to a metal spoon, you will maintain the integrity of that coating longer. But after 10+ years this was the failure point for us, much longer than any non-stick pan I've owned has lasted.

The "Micom" (micro computerized fuzzy logic technology) versions are generally less than $200 on Amazon. If you eat rice and/or oats every day, or frequently, this isn't crazy. It's been worth it for me. The newer induction versions are in the range of $100 more.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:02 am
m@ver1ck wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:16 am We bought rice cookers several times - but the insides of the vessel holding the rice inevitably would start peeling off in 6 months. We now just use a heavy steel pot.

Thanks.

RM
I’m surprised. I don’t know what people are using to get the rice/oats out. I use the one that comes with the unit and NOTHING has peeled off.

Ditto my non-stick cookware, but then again I don’t clean it with a Brillo pad 😁
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
Dougiefresh

Post by Dougiefresh »

For those who don't like the non stick coating, I'd suggest you look into this product. Aroma 6 or 14 cup rice cooker with stainless bowl. Amazon carries it. It's a basic rice cooker. We've been using this brand for years.
psy1

Post by psy1 »

We use an instant pot for rice. Brown rice, white rice, risotto. Also steel cut oats most mornings. It works great, it perfectly consistent, is scaleable, is very easy. Rice cookers are nice but Instant Pots are cheap and much more versatile. Can you make biryani in a rice cooker? Mashed potatoes? Soup? Etc.
Yukon

Post by Yukon »

psy1 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:26 pm We use an instant pot for rice. Brown rice, white rice, risotto. Also steel cut oats most mornings. It works great, it perfectly consistent, is scaleable, is very easy. Rice cookers are nice but Instant Pots are cheap and much more versatile. Can you make biryani in a rice cooker? Mashed potatoes? Soup? Etc.
I was beginning to wonder why the Zojirushi is so popular when it feels like the Instapot is more versatile. Perhaps the popularity of the instant pot is like the next generation zoji? Has anyone bought a zoji AFTER they owned an instapot?
Don't Work Forever.
cnblure

Post by cnblure »

Yukon wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:46 am
psy1 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:26 pm We use an instant pot for rice. Brown rice, white rice, risotto. Also steel cut oats most mornings. It works great, it perfectly consistent, is scaleable, is very easy. Rice cookers are nice but Instant Pots are cheap and much more versatile. Can you make biryani in a rice cooker? Mashed potatoes? Soup? Etc.
I was beginning to wonder why the Zojirushi is so popular when it feels like the Instapot is more versatile. Perhaps the popularity of the instant pot is like the next generation zoji? Has anyone bought a zoji AFTER they owned an instapot?
It's cause of Zojirushi's reputation for quality products. Instapot may be more versatile, but it's still to recent to see how well 15+ year models perform.
Yukon

Post by Yukon »

cnblure wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:18 am
It's cause of Zojirushi's reputation for quality products. Instapot may be more versatile, but it's still to recent to see how well 15+ year models perform.
That's a good point which points to the instant pot's popularity is helped by the lower price point. The instant pot can almost be purchased 3 times over the 15 years to break even.
Don't Work Forever.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

bubbasour wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:46 am Hi,

We eat brown rice almost daily and currently the rice cooker used is rather simple : https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NHS-18 ... 00004S576/.

However, I wanted to explore whether it's worth buying a https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-TSC ... DG6C/?th=1

The current cooker is okay, but the brown rice doesn't always turn out to be nice. Not sure if a better machine with "brown rice setting" will make any difference? Has anyone been through this upgrade and can share their experience? thx bubba
I have no experience with the Zojirushi other than one time at a foodie friend's place, but I have an inexpensive Aroma rice cooker that does a good job with the brown rice setting. Friend seemed enamored with the Zojirushi.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Zojirushi is an excellent brand. I have one of their bread makers and couldn't be more satisfied.

When it comes to rice, I don't have the patience for rice cookers, though. Using my pressure cooker on an induction cooktop, I can cook rice in 5 minutes flat. And my asian husband loves it that way. You have to know the exact proportions of water to use for the amount of rice, though, otherwise you will either undercook or burn your rice. It's not hard to figure out, and you only have to do it once if you keep buying the same type of rice. When Costco changes their supplier though on me, it can take a little effort.

If you have a slower cooktop (electric radiant or gas), then it will take a little longer to cook rice in the pressure cooker. It's still going to be much faster than any rice cooker, though.
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

I’ve only made rice in our insta pot once, but the rice stuck to the insert pretty significantly. I understand this is a common problem.

I’ve used a Zojirushi 2-4 times a week for many years, primarily for rice and steel-cut oats. Perfect every time, easy every time. No sticking. No scratching on the insert (which I don’t put in the dishwasher). I often keep rice on “extended keep warm” for a couple of days. After more than a decade, my first Zojirushi could no longer keep rice in good condition for more than a day. It seemed the rubber gasket on the lid had worn out somewhat. After the aforementioned poor experience making rice in the insta pot, I bought a new Zojirushi, which has also been great.
Bill Bernstein

Post by Bill Bernstein »

Don't know about the Zojirushi, but we love our Instantpot for both rice and pasta.

Once you've learned how to pressure cook pasta right in the sauce (set the timer for a tad more than half the recommended boiling time at high pressure, and use a very wet sauce) you'll never go back to simply pouring the sauce over the plain-boiled noodles.

Bill
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

Love my Zoji rice cooker. Still perfect after all these years. (I don't leave it on warm for more than a few minutes.)

I had a pressure cooker (Farberware, not Instapot) and it was programmable but it was never foolproof like the Zoji rice cooker. You start up the pressure cooker and hope for the best, but often get ruined meals if you experiment with new recipes and end up cooking something quick on the stovetop. Got rid of that and bought the Zoji for rice only. Everything else I can cook myself and watch till it's done.
18% cash 44% stock 38% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
rj49

Post by rj49 »

As a single person, my zojirushi isn't worth the time and hassle. I prefer to simply buy various kinds of microwave rice at Trader Joe's or elsewhere, and to try to occasionally replace some rice calories with diced cauliflower. I had a brown/red/barley rice mix today that was tasty, and took 3 minutes to cook. I've also bought boxes full of individual portions of microwave white and brown rice, which are convenient and also just as good as what I get from the zojirushi. I've also been reading about the effects of fast carbs on health, particularly for the diabetes scourge, in a book by David Kessler, and rice and bread and pasta and snack foods are the main culprits.

That said, if you like their rice cooker, I also highly recommend their thermos mugs for coffee or tea--I have several, from 12-20 oz.
5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension »

I have had an Aroma rice cooker for many years and loved it, however, it began to not cook the rice well all of the sudden. It became so disappointing I switched to instant rice. This thread made me pull it out and try it again, making sure I measured and timed everything just right. Still did not cook the rice well :(

I now have a Zojirushi on its way to me :happy
Pick up a penny and soon you'll have many.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Watty wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:17 am 2) Excess water method. More like cooking pasta, 6 parts water, one part rice. Bring water to a boil first, add rice, cook for 30 minutes, drain well, cover and let steam for 10 minutes, fluff with fork. The only problem I have ever had was if I did not fully drain the rice.

Once I started using the excess water method it was easy to cook brown rice on a stove. If you were not already cooking brown rice that way you might try it. You may decide that you do not need a rice maker for brown rice.
Thanks for this tip!. I had tried the "pasta method" before but didn't know about the 10 minute steaming step. Tried it the other night and the brown rice came out perfect for our tastes. I used 6 c water, 1 c brown rice and 3 t salt. Drained in a sieve.

We have a rice cooker that does an excellent job but it's a bit of a pain to clean. I will likely only use it from now on when I want to make the rice in advance and hold it at temperature. It does a great job on that.

:beer
anoop

Post by anoop »

I wanted to get away from non-stick so I decided to get one with a stainless steel pot. Not fancy at all but it does a good job with both white and brown rice.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TNXYYA/
(America's #1 rice cooker according to them, haha.)
The downside of a stainless steel pot is that the rice does stick to the bottom and I need to soak the pot for about an an hour in order to easily get the rice off for cleaning.

I've had Zojirushis in the past (both the simpler style and the more expensive one) and I don't think they did any better of a job with cooking the rice, although they did a much better job keeping the rice warm. However, I now usually just eat what I cook immediately and cook fresh rice multiple times a day if needed. Just FYI, only some of their units are made in Japan, the rest in China. Check their website to see which ones are made in Japan.
https://www.zojirushi.com/app/category/rice-cookers
Sandtrap

UPDATE: Re: Should I buy a new rice cooker from Zojirushi?

Post by Sandtrap »

Thank to this post, I broke down to "lifestyle creep" and bought a brand new super dooper Zojirushi Rice Cooker to replace my generic Panasonic.
In Hawaii, growing up, I had this idea that Zojirushi Rice Cookers were for wealthy people who could afford them, vs the generic Panasonic, etc, rice cookers. These thought impression things happen when you are little. . . . . .
Also the idea that splurging was "wasting money".. . . .

My new Zojirushi Rice Cooker made a perfect pot of brown rice the other night. Far better than any generic rice cooker I've used to date.
Amazon.com (10 cup Zojirushi Rice Cooker
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

My next experiment will be seeing if I can make Chinese "jook/congee" with it. Appreciate if anyone has tips on how to do this?

Thanks everyone.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Naikansha

Post by Naikansha »

[quote=bubbasour post_id=5193989 time=1587195979 user_id=137226]
Hi,

We eat [b]brown rice[/b] almost daily and currently the rice cooker used is rather simple : https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NHS-18 ... 00004S576/.

However, I wanted to explore whether it's worth buying a https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-TSC ... DG6C/?th=1

The current cooker is okay, but the brown rice doesn't always turn out to be nice. Not sure if a better machine with "brown rice setting" will make any difference? Has anyone been through this upgrade and can share their experience? thx bubba
[/quote]

I bought a new Zojirushi after the old one, a gift, had pot damage (from improper cleaning that removed the non-stick coating) that is not healthy to use.
I have a Zojirushi neuro fuzzy model NS-ZCC10 which can cook up to five cups. There are several settings. The brown rice setting makes excellent rice as does all the other settings I've used. I highly recommend this one.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

winterfan wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:42 am We've had the same rice cooker (Tiger) for 20 years and it's still going strong, but we usually eat jasmine. However, I've had a Zojirushi bread maker for close to 20 years too and I love it. It gets used often and is very high quality. I have nothing but good things to say about the brand.
We have a small tiger brand one and it is amazing. Other family members have the Zojirushi and those are amazing as well. Both in terms of rice making and longevity. They last forever.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

+1. We have an IP and a rice cooker, but if I had to choose I would get the IP first. Now that we have an IP, I am considering getting a second one for rice and then get rid of the old rice cooker.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

My stoves over the years have never been able to simmer, so that's why I finally bought a rice cooker.

I'm very happy with my Zojirushi YAC10. It looks like they maybe don't make them anymore. It was higher-end, many featured, but not a pressure cooker. I have an irrational fear of pressure vessels so Instant Pot is right out. I'm not a daily rice consumer so I use it only every couple of weeks, and it has held up nicely for about three years now. Plastic rice paddles are the only utensils that touch it.

I've tried most of the cycles with various rices and oatmeal, have erred slightly on quantity of water or rice, opened it during cooking when I thought it wasn't working but it actually was, set the finish time less than the official cooking time permits - always flawless unless I didn't rinse the rice. American enriched white rice does okay without rinsing.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Which Zojirushi is best for both rice (several types) and for steel cut oats?

I also don't like or want a pressure cooker. I don't mind if there is a "pressure" setting, as long as one can cook all the time without using that particular setting.
A timer and "extended heating" setting would be useful.

Finally, if one sets steel cut oats and water the night before, does it end up too mushy the next morning? That would probably take away much of the pleasure of steel cut oats.
Given that I don't want to use a pressure cooker, the main "issue" with steel cut oats is the time it takes, so IF it could be set in advance the night before, that would really be terrific.

I assume there is nothing special about this type of cooker for non-wheat pasta, such as Banza pasta?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:17 am Which Zojirushi is best for both rice (several types) and for steel cut oats?

I also don't like or want a pressure cooker. I don't mind if there is a "pressure" setting, as long as one can cook all the time without using that particular setting.
A pressure cooker can also cook "without pressure". It functions great as a slow cooker/crock pot; that's how we use it at least half the time because we are cooking lean cuts of meat.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:21 am
ResearchMed wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:17 am Which Zojirushi is best for both rice (several types) and for steel cut oats?

A pressure cooker can also cook "without pressure". It functions great as a slow cooker/crock pot; that's how we use it at least half the time because we are cooking lean cuts of meat.
I don't know how much is marketing and how much is actual benefit, but somehow or other the "fuzzy logic" in the Zojirushi does a phenomenal job of cooking steel cut oats. I don't think any pressure cooker has anything similar. By watching the "time until completion," I can see that the Zojirushi is "changing its mind" as the cooking progresses. FWIW, my IP sits gathering dust. It's been a while since I let oats sit overnight, but my recollection is that they were not soggy. I would experiment with cooking them at night, and then just keeping them warm until you want to eat them.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:39 am
stoptothink wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:21 am

I don't know how much is marketing and how much is actual benefit, but somehow or other the "fuzzy logic" in the Zojirushi does a phenomenal job of cooking steel cut oats. I don't think any pressure cooker has anything similar. By watching the "time until completion," I can see that the Zojirushi is "changing its mind" as the cooking progresses. FWIW, my IP sits gathering dust. It's been a while since I let oats sit overnight, but my recollection is that they were not soggy. I would experiment with cooking them at night, and then just keeping them warm until you want to eat them.
I've cooked oat groats in our pressure cooker countless times. No complaints from me.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Follow-up Question:

The plastic rice paddle that came with my rice cooker has bumps on it.
The highest rated rice paddles at Amazon have divots.
Which is better, and why - bumps or divots?

I have both types of paddle, and prefer the divoted paddle from a rice damage perspective. However, I can see where the bumps may help aerate the rice and release steam better in the initial post-cooking stir-it-up phase. Their cleanability appears to be equivalent.

I post this in the hopes that someone may be aware of or have run a controlled experiment of which I am unaware.

Thank you in advance.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

tooluser wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:42 pm
I post this in the hopes that someone may be aware of or have run a controlled experiment of which I am unaware.
Is this a late night farce or a serious inquiry? I don’t mean to be rude, but I cannot imagine a scenario outside a product development lab where a controlled experiment with any proven results would have been done. But I suppose this is Bogleheads...

I have a Zoji and we make brown rice 2-3x/wk. The “bumps“ on the paddle don’t damage the rice to a degree that I have noticed.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Picasso wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:56 pm
tooluser wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:42 pm
Is this a late night farce or a serious inquiry? I don’t mean to be rude, but I cannot imagine a scenario outside a product development lab where a controlled experiment with any proven results would have been done. But I suppose this is Bogleheads...

I have a Zoji and we make brown rice 2-3x/wk. The “bumps“ on the paddle don’t damage the rice to a degree that I have noticed.
It's a serious question that of course pales in comparison to whether consciousness or free will exist, or whether an optimal investment strategy exists. I believe I am posting in Consumer Issues, yes? Not Ultimate Issues I hope! It's not late here.

And thank you - I now have a sample of one in partial response to my question. Do you think it damages white rice? Would that be for the better or for the worse? It would be excellent if someone in a product development lab could comment.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

tooluser wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:42 pm Follow-up Question:

I have both types of paddle, and prefer the divoted paddle from a rice damage perspective. However, I can see where the bumps may help aerate the rice and release steam better in the initial post-cooking stir-it-up phase. Their cleanability appears to be equivalent.

Thank you in advance.
I have a drawer full of rice paddles. Bamboo, plastic, curved, straight, flat end, curved end, flat with curved sides, etc. The one with the sort of round end gets into the corner of the bottom of the rice pot, and it has a slight curve so the rice stays on it vs flat and it falls off. The bumps seem gimicky so flat and smooth plastic is best.

Do not let your spouse use your favorite rice paddle for scrapping the bottom of a hot frying pan.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

I grew up thinking that families that had rice cookers (everyone has it in Hawaii) that looked like the Zoroushi one's, typically at high end japanese import stores in the old days, were wealthy. And, thus it was never for me.

There is a list of things that I thought wealthy people had: more than 1 tv, stairs in the home going to another level, more than one bathroom, garage doors, kids that had their own rooms to themselves, etc. But, that is another matter.

Because of this thread, I recently bought a zoroushi rice cooker and now have fresh cooked hot rice daily that is the best rice I've ever cooked at home.

Everything tastes good on hot rice.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Thanks.

RM
The coatings of quality rice cookers properly cared for can last for many many decades without ever peeling or flaking.

Soak overnight so it can be washed with just a soft sponge and no abrasives.
Never scrape or remove rice with anything but the plastic paddle that it came with or similar.
Do not allow anyone to scoop rice out of it with a metal fork or spoon, ever.
Do not allow anyone to wash the rice pot except yourself. Etc.

j :D
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Bought a Zojirushi griddle a few months ago. Very satisfied with the build quality and overall even heating. Works great for a lot of vegetables and meats, pancakes, french toast, sausage, etc. Don't think you can do rice in it however.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:24 pm I have a drawer full of rice paddles... flat with curved sides...
Absolutely decadent! :shock:
Sandtrap wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:24 pm The bumps seem gimicky so flat and smooth plastic is best.
Data point number two. This is seeming to be what I prefer. But I don't want to give up unnecessarily on the bumps, in contravention to what appears to be the manufacturer's preference. I suspect the bumps are there for a reason, but the reason may or may not be better rice.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

tooluser wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:12 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:24 pm I have a drawer full of rice paddles... flat with curved sides...
Absolutely decadent! :shock:
Sandtrap wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:24 pm The bumps seem gimicky so flat and smooth plastic is best.
Data point number two. This is seeming to be what I prefer. But I don't want to give up unnecessarily on the bumps, in contravention to what appears to be the manufacturer's preference. I suspect the bumps are there for a reason, but the reason may or may not be better rice.
The bumps and divots and ridges and patterns on rice paddles are perhaps there so that the fresh cooked hot rice does not slide off the paddle when using it. Not everyone is an experienced rice paddler and it does take a certain fine touch and dexterity that many have cultivated since their youth.

Sometimes, the call to a young asian todler to come to dinner is the word "jong fan" of which I only remember in my youth so likely is spelled and used wrong. But, to my tiny understanding means, "to scoop rice", which also means it is time to eat. So, scooping rice out of the rice pot in the center of the dinner table is indeed a ritual in some places.

A University professor once told me that the original character writing for "prosperity" in Chinese was a symbol of a rice field and a harvest instrument, something like that. I'm not sure how that relates to a zoroushi rice cooker but perhaps it is written in the cryptic directions for use that is in another language that I can't read.

Actionably: the divots on the rice paddles are similar to what divots do on golf balls.
j :D
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

tooluser wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:42 pm Follow-up Question:

I have both types of paddle, and prefer the divoted paddle from a rice damage perspective. However, I can see where the bumps may help aerate the rice and release steam better in the initial post-cooking stir-it-up phase. Their clean-ability appears to be equivalent.

Thank you in advance.
This is way too technical of an analysis. You can use a fork to fluff it up (or chopsticks); it probably works a bit better too. You can also use a fork to scoop the rice, but a paddle works a lot better.
anoop

Post by anoop »

Thanks.

RM
When I had non-stick pots, I noticed scratches developing over time, but no peeling per se. The coating is teflon.

There are rice cookers with a stainless steel pot.
https://www.amazon.com/Aroma-Housewares ... 007WQ9Z56/
VAslim16

Post by VAslim16 »

Zojirushi is an awesome brand. I'd buy anything they make. To me the quality is worth the higher price.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

VAslim16 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:23 am Zojirushi is an awesome brand. I'd buy anything they make. To me the quality is worth the higher price.
I don’t put hot tea in a thermos often, but when I do, it’s in a Zojirushi. Got the tip on BH.
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

Zojirushi rice cookers are well worth purchasing.
Make sure to spring for a Made In Japan model. The majority of the lower cost variants are now sadly made in China.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:25 pm the divots on the rice paddles are similar to what divots do on golf balls.
I think you're onto something there. I've never seen a golf ball with bumps, only dimples/divots.
However, I have seen spherical weather balloons with bumps/spikes. But they are much bigger.
Golf balls tend to move more horizontally, while weather balloons move more vertically.

This will require some more figuring.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

VAslim16 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:23 am Zojirushi is an awesome brand. I'd buy anything they make. To me the quality is worth the higher price.
So true. My zojirushi thermos will keep hot stuff hot or cold stuff cold for days. I left one sitting on my dash in the sun for a couple of days, and when I got back to it...there was still ice in it.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

As a person who eats rice every day, sometimes 3x a day, I say such rice cookers are very overrated. One button rice cookers are good for the vast majority of people, myself included.

If you want a multi-function rice cooker, get any run of the mill rice cooker with multiple functions, and not limit yourself to Zojirushi brand. I suggest buying one with a cake mode, a rice porridge mode, and soup mode.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Yukon wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:46 am I was beginning to wonder why the Zojirushi is so popular when it feels like the Instapot is more versatile. Perhaps the popularity of the instant pot is like the next generation zoji? Has anyone bought a zoji AFTER they owned an instapot?
I have or have/had:

*Traditional manual pressure cooker
*Instapot brand electric pressure cooker
*Toshiba "smart"/"fuzzy logic" rice cooker
*Another generic mid-range rice cooker from Amazon

I cook mostly jasmine rice, and the quality do not compare to the Zoji, at all. The fluffiness, texture, taste, fragrance... don't compare. A big differentiator is how long the Zoji can keep the rice warmed. If I cook it for dinner, I can have same rice next day for lunch, and even dinner.

We've bought multiple units since, for different residences and as gifts for family.

Zoji cookers and Brother laser printers, if they had net promoter scores, it would be off the roof. Once people have one they'll never go back :beer