2020 Bogleheads Conference Update

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Bogle Center

2020 Bogleheads Conference Update

Post by Bogle Center »

Bogleheads from all parts of the country, and more recently all parts of the world, have gathered each October at a venue outside Philadelphia for the annual Bogleheads Conference. Jack Bogle was the honored guest until his passing, and last October, the conference commemorated his life.

The institution behind organizing and running the conference is the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, a 501c3 corporation. Mel Lindauer was the President of the “Bogle Center” until October 2019 when Rick Ferri took the reins. A new and larger Board of Directors was voted in, and the team immediately began work on a bigger conference for 2020 to include more speakers and two educational tracks. Mike Nolan, Jack Bogle’s former assistant and a board member, is to be commended for his efforts as the 2020 conference coordinator.

Unfortunately, planning for the conference came to a halt with the arrival of COVID-19. The Board diligently monitored the pandemic, which involved many hours of phone discussion and emails, and after an exhaustive review of the facts, this week unanimously voted to cancel the physical conference planned for 2020 and replace it with a virtual conference.

We expect the 2020 Virtual Bogleheads Conference to take place in October on a date yet to be determined. You’ll still see and hear your favorite financial celebrities who will make presentations and answer your questions, just not in person. All registered Bogleheads will be invited to log-on for free, and a recording will be available shortly thereafter. A tax-deductible donation to the Bogle Center will be encouraged.

The Board has also started planning a bigger physical conference in the fall of 2021 at a larger and more centralized location yet to be determined. We hope to accommodate up 500 attendees, have more speakers, and cover a greater range of topics, including an emphasis on tax and financial planning. Information on this initiative will be posted here as it becomes available.

The Bogle Center Board of Directors wishes to thank you for your support and thank everyone behind the scenes who make Bogleheads.org and the Bogleheads Wiki a great resource for all investors.

Sincerely yours,
The Bogle Center Board of Directors

Rick Ferri - President
Bill Bernstein – Vice President
Allan Roth – Treasurer
Ben Holland – Secretary
Christine Benz - member
Gail Cox - member
Laura Dogu – member
Rich Guerra – member
Mike Nolan – Member
Last edited by Bogle Center on Fri May 08, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogleheads® is a registered trademark of the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, a non-profit 501(c) that supports Bogleheads initiatives worldwide.
TravelGeek

Re: 2020 Bogleheads Conference Update

Post by TravelGeek »

Thanks for the update... as I expected. And a good decision IMO. Thank you for putting on a virtual conference as an alternative, and I am looking forward to hopefully be able to also join next year’s in-person event once more.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Thank you for your hard work.

I am grateful that I don't have to decide whether I should come to the conference, if it were held. I will be monitoring this thread for the enrollment information in the virtual conference.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
vasaver

Post by vasaver »

Thanks for all of the hard work and update.

Please consider having the Virtual Conference over a weekend. This would make it easier for people still working to participate.
Last edited by vasaver on Thu May 07, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Thank you for the update. The virtual conference sounds great and am looking forward to it.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Kudos to the new board. FWIW, I think that's definitely the right decision.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Not unexpected. Thank you for all your continued hard work.
index2max

Post by index2max »

Good thing I bookmarked the Bogle Center's profile in my browser! :D

Virtual conference sounds cool if any registered Boglehead can jump on and log in for free. I presume that if this is hosted live online on a platform like Zoom that participants are audio-only, right? This way the bandwidth of the host server won't get clogged up.

Looking forward to attending online this year!

Thanks for the update
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I volunteer to be the conference jester. :beer
kupuna

Post by kupuna »

I think it is a wise decision.
Mel(TOM)
"I can calculate the motions of the heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people." Sir Isaac Newton
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Even though I live in Philadelphia and can drive to the conference, I agree this is the right decision.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:04 pm Even though I live in Philadelphia and can drive to the conference, I agree this is the right decision.
It seems "centralized" implies "not Philadelphia" for future conferences...?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Sorry, I meant to say "I used to drive to the conference..."
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Excellent decision on the 2020 conference.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
saddle_tramp

Post by saddle_tramp »

Wise decision in these uncertain times. Looking forward to the virtual conference come October. Thanks to the committee for turning a virtual conference into reality.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

clutchied

Post by clutchied »

Looking forward to it!
shawcroft

The 2020 Bogleheads Conference Update

Post by shawcroft »

To my fellow Bogleheads:

As the "Ides of March" moved into April and then early May, I surmised the Board of Directors was agonizing over how- or if- the 2020 Conference could be held. They have responded with an excellent solution and I thank them for their efforts on behalf of all Bogleheads.

We will "see you all " in October.

And, remember, Press On, Regardless!

Shawcroft
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

tibbitts wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:24 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:04 pm Even though I live in Philadelphia and can drive to the conference, I agree this is the right decision.
Good question as the location was good as it involved visiting Vanguard!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Thank you for the update and all that the Board does! I think the best decision was made given the current situation.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Thank you very much for all the work and dedication to keeping the tradition going, even if it will be in the new format. I was debating holding back for the 2020 conference as space is so limited and I’m delighted to see that shouldn’t be a concern anymore!
index2max

Post by index2max »

abuss368 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:28 pm
tibbitts wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:24 pm
Good question as the location was good as it involved visiting Vanguard!
I'd love to visit Vanguard as a participant of the Boglehead conference too someday :D
deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 »

Did they ever get videos posted of the 2019 conference?
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

deltaneutral83 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:31 pm Did they ever get videos posted of the 2019 conference?
https://vimeo.com/channels/bogleheads/v ... :thumbnail appears to have one video from 2019.
deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 »

TravelGeek wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:35 pm
deltaneutral83 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:31 pm Did they ever get videos posted of the 2019 conference?
https://vimeo.com/channels/bogleheads/v ... :thumbnail appears to have one video from 2019.
Yea they said they were working on posting the videos but that was months ago. would love to see the other videos.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

deltaneutral83 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:49 pm
TravelGeek wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:35 pm
Yea they said they were working on posting the videos but that was months ago. would love to see the other videos.
In his real job, our volunteer Boglehead videographer is a heart surgeon, so that certainly takes priority. He's also serving on the Board of Directors of The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, so he has a lot on his plate. They will be posted in due time; he hasn't failed us yet.
deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:31 pm In his real job, our volunteer Boglehead videographer is a heart surgeon, so that certainly takes priority. He's also serving on the Board of Directors of The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, so he has a lot on his plate. They will be posted in due time; he hasn't failed us yet.
Mel I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort, I was simply relaying the information I had been given.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

deltaneutral83 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:59 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:31 pm In his real job, our volunteer Boglehead videographer is a heart surgeon, so that certainly takes priority. He's also serving on the Board of Directors of The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, so he has a lot on his plate. They will be posted in due time; he hasn't failed us yet.
Mel I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort, I was simply relaying the information I had been given.
My post was meant to provide info for you and everyone else who is interested in the videos. It was in no way meant as a rebuke.
Topic Author
Bogle Center

Post by Bogle Center »

Bumped to the top.
Bogleheads® is a registered trademark of the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, a non-profit 501(c) that supports Bogleheads initiatives worldwide.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Bogle Center wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:06 pm Bumped to the top.
Do you have dates or other arrangements finalized yet?
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

I’m wondering if there will be a limited number who can sign up for the virtual conference, meaning we have to keep an eye on the thread so we make the cut off.

In that case, hints as to when we should begin checking-in daily would be greatly appreciated. :shock:

Also, please consider South Florida for 2021. It may not be “centralized” but the weather there is lovely and some of the retired Boglehead founders may find it easier to attend.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Looking forward to the virtual conference and very appreciative of the hard work plannng for it by an outstanding board.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

Kitty Telltales wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:06 pm I’m wondering if there will be a limited number who can sign up for the virtual conference, meaning we have to keep an eye on the thread so we make the cut off.

In that case, hints as to when we should begin checking-in daily would be greatly appreciated. :shock:

Also, please consider South Florida for 2021. It may not be “centralized” but the weather there is lovely and some of the retired Boglehead founders may find it easier to attend.
My guess is there will be an announcement around Labor Day. And based on the following board statement there will be no limit - unless there is a technology limitation they discover at the last minute. Even then there is the recording that will follow the conference.
We expect the 2020 Virtual Bogleheads Conference to take place in October on a date yet to be determined. You’ll still see and hear your favorite financial celebrities who will make presentations and answer your questions, just not in person. All registered Bogleheads will be invited to log-on for free, and a recording will be available shortly thereafter. A tax-deductible donation to the Bogle Center will be encouraged.
tj

Post by tj »

I look forward to attending virtually!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Guessing an announcement date is not the best approach. Please wait until "Bogle Center" makes an announcement - whenever that may occur.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Kitty Telltales wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:06 pm I’m wondering if there will be a limited number who can sign up for the virtual conference, meaning we have to keep an eye on the thread so we make the cut off.

I think it would be very optimistic to make plans for a late Oct 2021 conference before summer of 2021.

Let me give you an example. My office in London has recently reopened for staff who have an urgent need to physically be in the office and who do not need public transport for commuting. The room booking software has been adapted to allow desk booking.

All meeting rooms are sealed off and there is a one way system of movement in place. On person on an elevator at any one time. Desks 6' apart. No keyboards or other complex to clean surfaces.
You bring your own laptop.

Capacity is about 10% of previous.

The informal word is that the rest of us should not plan to be back in the office before this time next year. If then. Our employer is doubtless very concerned about liability risk. Essentially no one can be compelled to physically return to work unless their job physically requires it (and the office was physically sealed for 4 months).

That's the world we are in, now. "Long term" is 3 months ahead. The BH attendees would skew older and so the consequences of exposure are proportionately greater.

For what it is worth, I am really not fond of Miami airport (over 5 years ago, but I have been to nicer ones in the so-called Third World, and no, Heathrow is not a favourite either) but I thought Philadelphia airport was quite nice.

I can't speak to hotels availability or cost or flight access from rest of USA between the 2 locations. Is hurricane season over by October?

Driveability Philadelphia is more or less dead centre for NE corridor and a cessible from Midwest. But I don't know where majority of likely attendees live?

Perhaps somewhere more accessible from both coasts? St Louis? Chicago I imagine would be expensive.

In the South, Atlanta would seem to offer the best location although I am told the traffic congestion is so bad people avoid it? Charlotte, another airport hub, might be better?
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

Valuethinker wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:42 am

I think it would be very optimistic to make plans for a late Oct 2021 conference before summer of 2021.

That's the world we are in, now. "Long term" is 3 months ahead. The BH attendees would skew older and so the consequences of exposure are proportionately greater.
Truer words have never been said. Much will be learned by doing a virtual conference in 2020 that will shape the 2021 conference as well. We’re living in a new world.
For what it is worth, I am really not fond of Miami airport (over 5 years ago, but I have been to nicer ones in the so-called Third World, and no, Heathrow is not a favourite either) but I thought Philadelphia airport was quite nice.

I can't speak to hotels availability or cost or flight access from rest of USA between the 2 locations. Is hurricane season over by October?

Driveability Philadelphia is more or less dead centre for NE corridor and a cessible from Midwest. But I don't know where majority of likely attendees live?
I consider the Fort Lauderdale Airport one of my “happy places”. It’s much easer to navigate than the Miami Airport, renting a car is easy, there is a light rail system connecting to Orlando, West Palm Beach and Miami. Since it’s a hub for the cruise lines, there are many hotels nearby, which may be vacant in the near term. Best of all, Fort Lauderdale Airport is about a 20 minute drive from a bed that I own, so I have to admit that I am a little biased.

You are right about the timing, so perhaps pushing it foreword to January, 2022, after hurricane season, would also make planning easier (hopefully) after the current crisis. I imagine the planning phase begins 12 months out and more will be known this coming winter, for sure.

I’m also in favor of keeping it in the Philly area as there are direct flights from Frankfurt, I have lots of family and friends to visit in the region and the visit to the Vanguard headquarters was certainly a highlight.

With all the struggles at the moment, the new location and timing should be very manageable and convenient for our new organizers. I feel endlessly grateful for the time they invest in keeping Bogleheads going. I hope our board members don’t mind our idle chatter about how things could be done.

Best wishes and good health to you, Valuethinker. Thank you for your 40,000 + posts.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Philadelphia is my choice - check the location under my username.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Kitty Telltales wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:56 am I consider the Fort Lauderdale Airport one of my “happy places”. It’s much easer to navigate than the Miami Airport, renting a car is easy, there is a light rail system connecting to Orlando, West Palm Beach and Miami.
The train connection to Orlando is under construction but not complete. The furthest north you can go is West Palm Beach.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:14 am Philadelphia is my choice - check the location under my username.
Philadelphia has two things going for it:
1) LadyGeek
2) Vanguard.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

VictoriaF wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:43 am
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:14 am Philadelphia is my choice - check the location under my username.
Philadelphia has two things going for it:
1) LadyGeek
2) Vanguard.

Victoria
Also, excellent Amtrak and SEPTA commuter rail service! (Once it becomes safe to travel again.) It is ¨central¨ to the East Coast, at least. And for those who are not on the East Coast, the location and great rail and highway connections make it easy to combine with visits to friends and relatives who do live on the East Coast.

Very pleasant memories of my trips down to Philadelphia from Upstate NY on Amtrak. And very easy to combine with visits to family in Manhattan, Baltimore, and DC before and/or afterwards.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Philadelphia is also a major sports town. Our fans are very vocal and loyal to our teams. Depending on the conference schedule, you can attend a local sporting event (Phillies / Flyers / Eagles / Sixers - assuming things return to normal).

I'm bringing this up because my first year attending the Bogleheads Conference was in Philly. Each lunch table had an assigned conference presenter. By pure luck, I sat at the table assigned to Jack Bogle. Jack comes to the table with his lunch and sits right next to me. :shock:

What's the standard way to get a conversation going when you don't know the topic and are sitting next to the world's expert?

"Hi Jack, so how about those Phillies?"

He wasn't a sports fan...
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

Let me give you an example. My office in London has recently reopened for staff who have an urgent need to physically be in the office and who do not need public transport for commuting. The room booking software has been adapted to allow desk booking.

All meeting rooms are sealed off and there is a one way system of movement in place. On person on an elevator at any one time. Desks 6' apart. No keyboards or other complex to clean surfaces.
You bring your own laptop.

Capacity is about 10% of previous.

The informal word is that the rest of us should not plan to be back in the office before this time next year. If then. Our employer is doubtless very concerned about liability risk. Essentially no one can be compelled to physically return to work unless their job physically requires it (and the office was physically sealed for 4 months).

Perhaps somewhere more accessible from both coasts? St Louis? Chicago I imagine would be expensive.

In the South, Atlanta would seem to offer the best location although I am told the traffic congestion is so bad people avoid it? Charlotte, another airport hub, might be better?
Sorry ValueThinker, but STL is not an airport (or area) that would be appropriate. It lost its "hub" status ---years--- ago, generally has poor hotel options, and alas also has had its share of problems in the area [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek].

{normally I'd say, for west coast, Portland (but it's had its own problems) as it generally has good facilities, great accessible airport, good metro transport and more reasonable cost than the Bay Area or LA. I'd think Houston or DFW would be appropriate for central US (lots of facilities, but transportation is more iffy since there is no decent transit system). For east coast, Philly still would win, due to proximity of VG and somewhat lower cost than other comparable cities; although a warmer climate (say, Tampa/St Pete) would probably be more appealing and have an advantage of more recreational opportunities}
Topic Author
Bogle Center

Post by Bogle Center »

Stinky wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:39 pm
Bogle Center wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:06 pm Bumped to the top.
Do you have dates or other arrangements finalized yet?
The Bogle Center Board hopes to announce a date for the 2020 virtual conference by Labor Day.

We have just begun work on the 2021 conference. The location and date are still undecided.

Thank you for your patience.

The Bogle Center Board
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

Woohoo looks like I can finally attend a BH conference.

Can't express my gratitude enough!
chw

Post by chw »

Look forward to attending virtually. Now I can cross this off my bucket list!
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Thank you for the work and the effort. I look forward to joining virtually and hopefully one day physically.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Now that we have an approximate date for the announcement, this thread is now a 'sticky' at the top of the forum.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Nestegg_User wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:37 pm
{normally I'd say, for west coast, Portland (but it's had its own problems) as it generally has good facilities, great accessible airport, good metro transport and more reasonable cost than the Bay Area or LA.
Well, it’s not like the entire Portland Metropolitan Area is impacted by current protests, and the Philly conference location wasn’t exactly in downtown Philly. So not sure that is really a factor.

That said, as a PNW resident living in driving distance to Portland, I would rather seen the conference be somewhere else, as an excuse to travel somewhere (see my username). I enjoyed exploring Valley Forge on my one trip to Philadelphia a couple of years ago. I also thought the side trip to Vanguard HQ as part of the conference program was a special opportunity to see “where our money lives” (as my wife puts it). (perhaps something similar could be arranged in Boston with Fidelity?)

Anyway, if the conference is supposed to be centrally located, it would be near Kansas City... if we ignore all non-US Bogleheads. Throw in the European BHs and we could perhaps meet in Reykjavik. Which sounds awesome to me :)
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

On the topic of hotels, if you've been to the last several conferences, you know that it's not as if we as a group demand 5-star hotels. The place it's been for many years now is a perfectly fine hotel, but nothing particularly fancy. I'm sure any mid-sized city has plenty of such options. (And yes, that includes here in St. Louis.)
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.