Problems applying for IRS Identity Protection PIN

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
AAA

Problems applying for IRS Identity Protection PIN

Post by AAA »

I got through every other step and then it asked for a mobile phone number, which it was going to verify with the carrier. There was no hint as to what format to use to enter the number, so I just put xxxxxxxxxx. It came back and said it couldn't verify it. So I tried xxx-xxx-xxxx, same result. Finally I tried 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx to no avail. It then said it would normally at this point default to sending me the PIN by paper mail but it couldn't be done now due to the pandemic.

I have had this mobile number for years. So I called my carrier to verify that the account was in my name, not my spouses's name, which it was. They suggested that maybe the issue is that my primary contact number with them uses my home landline, so we changed that to my mobile number. They suggested waiting 24 hours for the IRS to update this, but I didn't understand why (at the appropriate time the IRS website would I thought just contact the carrier again) so I tried to apply for the IP PIN again.

I got through the email verification, but after the next step of entering my name, address, etc. (before entering the mobile number) it now said that information didn't match their records and I should try again after 24 hours.

Has anyone else had such problems? And let's say that tomorrow when I try again it finally works for me. What happens when we try it for my spouse? Her mobile number is on the same account as mine, which is in my name. Is it going to say it can't verify her mobile number with the carrier because the account is not in her name? Surely this must be a common situation where one person has an account for all of their family's phones.
cheese_breath

Re: Problems applying for IRS Identity Protection PIN

Post by cheese_breath »

I have the same problem, but I just gave up after trying the different ways of entering it.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
yohac

Post by yohac »

I've read that they go by the caller ID name. Which effectively eliminates all prepaid cell plans, Google Voice, etc.
Flora

Post by Flora »

Is the billing address for your cell phone the same as your home address (i.e. tax return address)?
Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA »

yohac wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:54 pm I've read that they go by the caller ID name. Which effectively eliminates all prepaid cell plans, Google Voice, etc.
I checked - my caller ID is my name, although it's last name first. I assume they would account for things like that.
Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA »

Flora wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:43 pm Is the billing address for your cell phone the same as your home address (i.e. tax return address)?
Yes, they are both the same. And it's been the same address for many years.

I will try again later today based on the carrier changing my primary phone number to my mobile number. If that doesn't work, could there be anyone at the IRS now to ask about this? If not, I guess I will wait a few months if and when things get back to normal. As I mentioned, if they can't verify the mobile number they would normally revert to paper mail to send the PIN but they are not able to do that at this time.
Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA »

Failed again to get past the mobile phone number verification. I give up.
Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA »

yohac wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:54 pm I've read that they go by the caller ID name. Which effectively eliminates all prepaid cell plans, Google Voice, etc.
Actually I discovered that the caller ID I checked in my home phone history was not from my phone but another family member's phone. My phone is showing "Name Unavailable." So I will call my carrier to try to fix that and give the IRS one more try next week.

Question: Do you think the caller ID has to include a middle initial as used on tax forms for a match or does first and last name suffice?