Bank of America unauthorized ATM withdrawal

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
bigguy8437

Bank of America unauthorized ATM withdrawal

Post by bigguy8437 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:19 pm

So I had a 92.50 ATM withdrawal back in January that I dont think was me. Per my bank statements, the withdrawal occurred in Massachusetts on a Monday, however I had taken a train from MA to NY on a sunday. As such, I started a dispute with bank of america. They denied my dispute, saying that since it was at an ATM and they likely had to have my pin number to withdrawal, that it was likely me and not someone else. I offered to show my train ticket evidencing that I had left the state a day earlier, and even also show my credit card statement to show that I had credit card transactions in NY that Sunday/Monday, and they still said that probably wouldnt help. I've been with Bank of America for 10-15 years, so its dissapointing that it's come to this. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? It seems like the entire case is closed at this point. Should I leave bank of america over a $90 ATM withdrawal?

Jack FFR1846

Re: Bank of America unauthorized ATM withdrawal

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:21 pm

I would.

But I consider BoA to be the Evil Empire.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Topic Author
bigguy8437

Post by bigguy8437 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:28 pm

Why’s that...?

stuper1

Post by stuper1 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:28 pm

Don't withdrawals on Sunday get dated as of Monday? Could it have been you that withdrew the money on Sunday, but it didn't get dated until Monday?

palanzo

Post by palanzo » Tue May 12, 2020 1:29 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:19 pm
So I had a 92.50 ATM withdrawal back in January that I dont think was me. Per my bank statements, the withdrawal occurred in Massachusetts on a Monday, however I had taken a train from MA to NY on a sunday. As such, I started a dispute with bank of america. They denied my dispute, saying that since it was at an ATM and they likely had to have my pin number to withdrawal, that it was likely me and not someone else. I offered to show my train ticket evidencing that I had left the state a day earlier, and even also show my credit card statement to show that I had credit card transactions in NY that Sunday/Monday, and they still said that probably wouldnt help. I've been with Bank of America for 10-15 years, so its dissapointing that it's come to this. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? It seems like the entire case is closed at this point. Should I leave bank of america over a $90 ATM withdrawal?
Most ATMs have video cameras. Ask BoA to review the video.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue May 12, 2020 1:31 pm

How does one withdraw $92.50 at an ATM?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:32 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:31 pm
$90 withdrawal. $2.50 Fee.

They should have video. It could be from Saturday or Sunday and post on Monday.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Tue May 12, 2020 1:33 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Possible bank surcharge of $2.50? With cash $90? Just a guess. That was 3~4 months ago, so not sure what the reporting window is.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Tue May 12, 2020 1:36 pm

palanzo wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:29 pm
bigguy8437 wrote:
+1 unless you have waited too long to dispute this, in which case you either eat it or I suppose you could switch banks. It seems strange that someone would have your card and PIN, take a small amount of money out and then never tap this free source of money again. Sometimes, the posting date and the transaction date of ATM transactions can be different so what looks like it happened on Monday could have actually occurred Friday or Saturday or Sunday.

skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver » Tue May 12, 2020 1:37 pm

All the ATMs I've used spit out twenties--how do you get to $90?

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:38 pm

skepticalobserver wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:37 pm
Some do multiples of $10. I've used a few of those.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

bikesandbeers

Post by bikesandbeers » Tue May 12, 2020 1:42 pm

Yes, the posting date could be different than the purchase date. If it was an ATM check the video, or is it possible you bought something from a store point of sale that could processed like a cash withdrawal.

skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver » Tue May 12, 2020 1:42 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:38 pm
Some do multiples of $10
Really? That's a lot of cash for the customers. The banks must be re-loading the machines twice a day+.
Learned something new.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Tue May 12, 2020 1:49 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:
2 things. First thieves usually take out max cash figuring the card will be cancelled quickly. Second, why did they only use your card once if it worked the first time? My guess is since it was a Sunday withdrawal it gets dated Monday. And I don't understand what is meant by they likely had to have your pin number to withdraw, how else can you withdraw money from an ATM?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

Kittens

Post by Kittens » Tue May 12, 2020 1:53 pm

skepticalobserver wrote:
the TD bank in the town over from me can give $1 increments but I have never heard of cents

Train2bogle

Post by Train2bogle » Tue May 12, 2020 1:56 pm

skepticalobserver wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:42 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Some do multiples of $10
Really? That's a lot of cash for the customers. The banks must be re-loading the machines twice a day+.
Learned something new.
I doubt it requires that many $10 bills, since it will dispense no more than 1 $10 bill per transaction.

inverter

Post by inverter » Tue May 12, 2020 2:00 pm

You sound quite unsure of whether or not you withdrew the money. Did you do it? If not, call their fraud department and don't give up until they credit it back!

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue May 12, 2020 2:05 pm

BoA online banking shows very clearly the precise location of the ATM/branch where the cash withdrawal took place. Maybe that will help you recall whether you made the withdrawal (which you almost certainly did).

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Tue May 12, 2020 2:07 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:
You may want to ask BOA to confirm the exact date, time and location of the ATM withdrawal. As others mentioned, while it may show on your bank statement as occurring on a Monday, the actual transaction may have occurred sometime between close of business on Friday and opening of business on Monday.

Also, while I hesitate to read too much into the language that a person uses in a post, the way you phrased your post sounds to me as though you aren't sure whether or not you withdrew the money and simply are using the date that the withdrawal appears on your statement to postulate that it wasn't you.

When did you file the dispute with BOA? Did you report it immediately or was it sometime later? Taking more than three months to receive the results of your dispute seems like an unusually long period of time.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Tue May 12, 2020 2:15 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:32 pm
nisiprius wrote:
$90 withdrawal. $2.50 Fee.

They should have video. It could be from Saturday or Sunday and post on Monday.
BofA does not charge a fee to a BofA customer.

Something sounds off. OP, ask them how you as a BofA customer could withdraw $92.50 from the ATM? As someone else suggested, how about going to the video recording?

This does not seem like something that BofA should be unwilling to work with you on.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Tue May 12, 2020 2:21 pm

MikeG62 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:15 pm

Some Bank of America accounts pay a $2.50 fee to use a non-BOA ATM. From their fee schedule:
Non-Bank of America ATMs

$2.50

within the U.S.

Plus any fee charged by the ATM's operator.

Preferred Rewards Platinum using a Bank of America debit or ATM card will not be charged the non-Bank of America ATM fee and will receive one (1) refund per statement cycle of the ATM operator or network fee for withdrawals, transfers and balance inquiries from non-Bank of America ATMs in the U.S.

Platinum Honors tier clients using a Bank of America debit or ATM card will not be charged the non-Bank of America ATM fee and will receive a refund of the ATM operator or network fee for withdrawals, transfers and balance inquiries from non-Bank of America ATMs in the U.S.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Tue May 12, 2020 2:30 pm

B of A is what Clark Howard calls a Giant Monster Megabank. (BofA, Wells Fargo, Citibank and Chase). He feels all of these cos are very anti consumer, and does not recommend using them due to generally poor customer service and high fees. He goes so far as to call Wells Fargo a criminal enterprise masquerading as a bank. This might be a wake up call if it turns out you indeed did not make the withdrawal, as it indicates what customer service to expect in the future.

https://clark.com/personal-finance-cred ... big-banks/

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue May 12, 2020 2:31 pm

The bank's terms and conditions specify a time frame for disputing a charge. Did you file your dispute within the time frame? If not, you should just drop the matter.

kidshrink

Post by kidshrink » Tue May 12, 2020 2:35 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:28 pm
Why’s that...?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_of_A ... troversies

I left in 2012, haven’t looked back.

Credit unions still participate in the fractional reserve banking system but have much less predatory practices.

coachd50

Post by coachd50 » Tue May 12, 2020 2:39 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:36 pm
palanzo wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:29 pm
bigguy8437 wrote:
+1 unless you have waited too long to dispute this, in which case you either eat it or I suppose you could switch banks. It seems strange that someone would have your card and PIN, take a small amount of money out and then never tap this free source of money again. Sometimes, the posting date and the transaction date of ATM transactions can be different so what looks like it happened on Monday could have actually occurred Friday or Saturday or Sunday.
I agree here.
First, do you have the ATM card? Was there a period when you were missing it? Did you ever report it missing for a period of time? So many things about that make it easy to understand why BoA is skeptical.

Second, was the withdrawal at a BOA ATM? I am guessing probably not (since it seems the most likely scenario to get to 92.50 is 90 withdrawal and 2.50 fee, which wouldn't be a BOA atm would it? ) .

Third, it is mid May. The transaction was in January. Did you JUST notify BoA ? Or did you start this process in February when you got your statement, and it has taken 4 months to get final resolution.

Fourth, you ask if you should leave BoA over this, but I think the bigger issue is the apparent lack of controls over your personal accounts and finance? You said you "don't think" it was you. How can you not KNOW it wasn't you? How often do you make 90 ATM transactions that you can't discern this is in no way, shape, or form you?

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Tue May 12, 2020 2:41 pm

skepticalobserver wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:
Some do multiples of $10
Learned something new.
Chase ATMs in my area allow you to select denominations in $5, $20 and $100.

lstone19

Post by lstone19 » Tue May 12, 2020 2:51 pm

Where was the ATM? Your statement or the bank should be able to tell you where it was. If it was an ATM you use, it was probably you. If it was somewhere you’ve never been, then it probably wasn’t you.

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Tue May 12, 2020 2:53 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:
I have had Bank of America consumer bank accounts, mortgage, credit card, and dealt with their estate department. All of those experiences ended absolutely miserably. I would never elect to do any business with Bank of America. In fact I had sworn not to do so after my bank account experience. They became my mortgage lender via Countrywide, took cover my credit card from another company, and I had to deal with their estate department because of family members who had their accounts.

It is really shocking to me how bad their customer service was. I am baffled as to how they remain in business.

In the long run, leaving Bank of America is likely to save you far more than $90. Consider this a blessing.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Tue May 12, 2020 2:56 pm

galawdawg wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:21 pm
MikeG62 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:15 pm

Some Bank of America accounts pay a $2.50 fee to use a non-BOA ATM. From their fee schedule:
Non-Bank of America ATMs

$2.50

within the U.S.

Plus any fee charged by the ATM's operator.

Preferred Rewards Platinum using a Bank of America debit or ATM card will not be charged the non-Bank of America ATM fee and will receive one (1) refund per statement cycle of the ATM operator or network fee for withdrawals, transfers and balance inquiries from non-Bank of America ATMs in the U.S.

Platinum Honors tier clients using a Bank of America debit or ATM card will not be charged the non-Bank of America ATM fee and will receive a refund of the ATM operator or network fee for withdrawals, transfers and balance inquiries from non-Bank of America ATMs in the U.S.
Ok, thought he used a BofA ATM.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

crefwatch

Post by crefwatch » Tue May 12, 2020 3:03 pm

My B of A monthly statement calls for errors to be reported within 60 days of the first statement that had the error. So the bank has no legal obligation to make things right. But I agree that the transaction was probably made by the OP. When I make an ATM withdrawal, I get a paper slip so that I can enter it in my checkbook later.

But, I once asked a colleague at work why he threw away his credit card slips from the stores he went to. He said he couldn't be bothered, and ironically added, "I'll let the Collection Agency take care of it ... ... " That was years ago. Today, most people, especially younger customers, say, "no receipt" when asked by a clerk. Use it or lose it.

I often use a very new, Bank of America drive-up ATM that allows the user to choose among $10, $20, and $50 bills, apparently any number of each.

coachd50

Post by coachd50 » Tue May 12, 2020 3:05 pm

Luckywon wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:53 pm
bigguy8437 wrote:
I have had Bank of America consumer bank accounts, mortgage, credit card, and dealt with their estate department. All of those experiences ended absolutely miserably. I would never elect to do any business with Bank of America. In fact I had sworn not to do so after my bank account experience. They became my mortgage lender via Countrywide, took cover my credit card from another company, and I had to deal with their estate department because of family members who had their accounts.

It is really shocking to me how bad their customer service was. I am baffled as to how they remain in business.

In the long run, leaving Bank of America is likely to save you far more than $90. Consider this a blessing.
I can understand your frustration with giant banks, but having worked at a smaller regional bank when I was younger, I will say that in my experience many times when there is problem, it is usually the "fault" of the customer.

oko

Post by oko » Tue May 12, 2020 3:50 pm

There were many times I did not recognize a transaction and panic. And then some thinking/research/peeking at the receipts reminds me that it was actually me or my wife who did it. I have my credit card number stolen and used many times, and they were all out of state, even out of country. So IMO it is highly unlikely that your card is cloned and used at the same city that you were around for an unlikely small amount (think you are a thief. Would you stop at $90 after knowing you can steal?)

Speaking of BoA and evil empire: I was a local credit union customer for about 10 years (UT Austin's UFCU) because everyone was saying CUs are much better than banks etc. Until I asked for a mortgage from them: I saw that their rates/closing costs etc. were actually much worse than banks. At that time I realized that the fees I have been paying to them were even worse than bank fees. I immediately closed my account and went with an actual bank, and I still feel sorry for all the fees I paid to them for 10 years. Now I have BoA, enjoying 2.625% to 5.25% cash back for every CC transaction, almost no-fee banking etc. It might be an evil empire, but at least I am getting good cash back.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue May 12, 2020 3:57 pm

skepticalobserver wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:
Some do multiples of $10
Learned something new.
And, a decade ago when I went to the Hamptons, the ATMs dispensed $50 bills. A good thing too, because many restaurants would not accept credit cards. Cash only.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

lstone19

Post by lstone19 » Tue May 12, 2020 4:05 pm

oko wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:50 pm
Speaking of BoA and evil empire: I was a local credit union customer for about 10 years (UT Austin's UFCU) because everyone was saying CUs are much better than banks etc. Until I asked for a mortgage from them: I saw that their rates/closing costs etc. were actually much worse than banks.
Not all credit unions are created equal. In the 80s, I worked for a company where there was a credit union associated with the company whose rates were just nothing special. They were competitive with major banks but no better. But every quarter, they made a big deal about how they increased their "reserves". Digging into it, reserves in credit union jargon is just another word for profit but since they were non-profit, it was just money they sat on rather than returning it to the members in the form of better rates. I did notice about that time that the entire credit union Board of Directors was finance people from the company and just like at work, they were driven by profit.

I moved from there to another company and moved my money to their associated credit union who had rates that were better than the banks. Sure, their facilities were a bit spartan compared to the other one and to this day, they don't handle cash in the offices (but they have ATMs) but they were superior where it counted.

As for BoA, I've never had a problem with them although I don't particularly like them. I started in 1981 with a bank that was merged into the original California BofA long before the California BofA was acquired by whatever North Carolina bank acquired it before renaming itself BofA. Would I open a new account there? Doubtful. But with the account open, they've never given me a reason to close it. It's not my main bank but it has its uses. But if they ever changed their checking account fee structure so that I couldn't reasonably avoid it, I'd close the account (access to their ATMs was the main reason for keeping but these days with mobile deposit, less cash needs, and ATM fee reimbursement from other accounts we have, that's really no longer a need). Also have a BofA credit card (tied to a frequent traveler program). Don't use it much but never a problem.

hudson

Post by hudson » Tue May 12, 2020 4:43 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:
bigguy8437,

I would contact the board of directors by letter. Consider sending it overnight. http://investor.bankofamerica.com/corpo ... -directors.
When I get in a position where I'm not having any luck at the lowest level, I jump to the highest possible level and dig in.
At the same time, I would file a report with the SEC and the Better Business Bureau.

I did this with the brokerage arm of another large and arrogant bank. The board assigned a special representative to represent the board. The person that handled my case did a great job and took care of business. She listened, she investigated, and she fixed my issue. The lower level folks did a great job of talking; but they wouldn't take any action. It didn't seem like the lower level folks had anyone supervising them below the board of directors level, so they just did as they pleased.

Bogle_Bro

Post by Bogle_Bro » Tue May 12, 2020 5:21 pm

Sounds like you withdrew the money over the weekend and it posted monday

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Tue May 12, 2020 5:35 pm

hudson wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:43 pm
bigguy8437 wrote:
bigguy8437,

I would contact the board of directors by letter. Consider sending it overnight. http://investor.bankofamerica.com/corpo ... -directors.
When I get in a position where I'm not having any luck at the lowest level, I jump to the highest possible level and dig in.
At the same time, I would file a report with the SEC and the Better Business Bureau.

I did this with the brokerage arm of another large and arrogant bank. The board assigned a special representative to represent the board. The person that handled my case did a great job and took care of business. She listened, she investigated, and she fixed my issue. The lower level folks did a great job of talking; but they wouldn't take any action. It didn't seem like the lower level folks had anyone supervising them below the board of directors level, so they just did as they pleased.
I think that OP had better be sure they were not the one who did the ATM withdrawal which is much more likely as the bank will have video evidence of who did.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue May 12, 2020 5:41 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
skepticalobserver wrote:
Some BoA ATMs have a chose your own adventure bill dispensary. But if you got hit with a fee, it was not a BoA ATM.

coachd50

Post by coachd50 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:18 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:35 pm
hudson wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:43 pm
bigguy8437 wrote:
bigguy8437,

I think that OP had better be sure they were not the one who did the ATM withdrawal which is much more likely as the bank will have video evidence of who did.
I wouldn't say they "had better be sure" that they didn't make the withdrawal, after all all the board can do is laugh at him for making a huge deal about something he caused.

Either :
1) the OP made the withdrawal, and either forgot or doesn't' realize it (by far the most likely scenario)
2) The OP had their card stolen, and the thief had access to the OPs PIN NUMBER, then the thief used it to withdraw just $90 and then the thief returned the OPs ATM card without the OP knowing.
3) Weird computer glitch causing a misposting or an error in electronic transaction.

That's about all it can be.

boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie » Tue May 12, 2020 7:08 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:
So I had a 92.50 ATM withdrawal back in January that I dont think was me. Per my bank statements, the withdrawal occurred in Massachusetts on a Monday, however I had taken a train from MA to NY on a sunday.
Could you have bought a train ticket for $90 or $92.50 using this card? Perhaps you intended to use a credit card, but accidentally pulled out the ATM card? Perhaps it was run as a "no signature required" credit transaction so you never noticed the wrong card.

coachd50

Post by coachd50 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:10 pm

boomer_techie wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:08 pm
bigguy8437 wrote:
So I had a 92.50 ATM withdrawal back in January that I dont think was me. Per my bank statements, the withdrawal occurred in Massachusetts on a Monday, however I had taken a train from MA to NY on a sunday.
Could you have bought a train ticket for $90 or $92.50 using this card? Perhaps you intended to use a credit card, but accidentally pulled out the ATM card? Perhaps it was run as a "no signature required" credit transaction so you never noticed the wrong card.
I have never used my bank's ATM card for a point of sale transaction, only to retrieve cash from an ATM.
If one does use it as a point of sale transaction, how does it show up in statement? As an ATM withdrawal?

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Tue May 12, 2020 7:19 pm

41 posts into this thread and OP hasn't been here since post #3.

I wonder if OP has it figured out now.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue May 12, 2020 7:34 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
skepticalobserver wrote:
As a matter of fact, last time I went to my brick-and-mortar bank's ATM to pull cash, there were a couple of fifties in the mix.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue May 12, 2020 7:46 pm

@bigguy8437
Where are you? You asked us a question and then disappeared.....

coachd50

Post by coachd50 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:50 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:46 pm
@bigguy8437
Probably realized he was going on a rant about BoA when all along they were right.

True Story : While working in banking there was a customer (small business owner) who showed up ranting about the fact that the deposit they dropped in the night depository had not been processed. Tellers said they had already worked all of the deposits, they didn't have one from that business. "I am calling the police. Someone stole this deposit. This is fraud..you are all in on it" Ranting and raving loudly in lobby over a $2,000 or so deposit. Person at desk trying to calm him. "ARe you SURE you dropped it in the night depository" "Yes, I am sure, are you an idiot? Do you think I am stupid!"

Almost as if it was scripted, at that moment, a mail carrier walks into lobby and tells another platform officer "Uh, somebody must have dropped this bank deposit bag in the Mailbox "...

Sometimes it is the little things in life...

ThreeBears

Post by ThreeBears » Tue May 12, 2020 9:00 pm

Debit cards are covered by Regulation E, which provides significant consumer protection.... but there are time limits.

If you feel the bank has wronged you, and ignored your request to investigate an alleged fraud, your next step is simple.

Immediately complete a complaint with the CFPB. It may take a while, but you will hear from both the CFPB and the bank.

Here: https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Tue May 19, 2020 7:46 am

coachd50 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:50 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:46 pm
@bigguy8437
Probably realized he was going on a rant about BoA when all along they were right.
Any updates OP?

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Tue May 19, 2020 7:55 am

This reminds me that my late husband always withdrew a consistent but rather oddball amount of cash in his ATM transactions. If I recall correctly, it was originally $140, then went up to $240. That way he and I could easily and quickly recognize any suspicious unauthorized transactions on our statements since it was unlikely that hackers would choose such an oddball figure.