At what moment does retirement begin?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
tetractys

At what moment does retirement begin?

Post by tetractys »

For your retirement, at what moment will it, or did it actually begin? Maybe the standard time is midnight just as the date changes, like on the New Year. But since it’s YOUR RETIREMENT you can pick the moment, correct or not? I’m thinking my retirement will begin at sunrise on the first day. I’m planning on being up and awake for that. What are your thoughts for your retirement moment?

What got me started on this was looking for a retirement countdown app. And I found a simple countdown app just for retirement; but rats!; it only lets you pick the day, not the moment by hour, minute, and second!
dbr

Re: At what moment does retirement begin?

Post by dbr »

Technically I was probably retired at exactly the minute or so I handed my badge to my manager at the door and the door latched behind me. Yes, she literally collected my ID as I walked out the door with a handshake. I don't remember how we set exactly that day but I think it had to do with some shenanigans about 401K contributions, stock option grants, insurance or something and time of day was set when we both decided it would just be nice to do it.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

I think I'd rather consider it as the moment you walk out of work. Probably the last chance to recapture the feeling of the start of summer break. Sunrise risks feeling like any old weekend.

If a handshake is required no one is going to be retiring for a while.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

Also you can Google how many seconds until a specific date and time and save the search as a bookmark. 700 million until I turn 60.
Topic Author
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

mega317 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:05 am Also you can Google how many seconds until a specific date and time and save the search as a bookmark. 700 million until I turn 60.
I have a tiny spreadsheet that shows years, months, weeks, days, minutes till retirement. It updates on opening but doesn’t refresh incrementally.
Topic Author
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

mega317 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:01 am I think I'd rather consider it as the moment you walk out of work. Probably the last chance to recapture the feeling of the start of summer break. Sunrise risks feeling like any old weekend.
Hmmmm :wink:

What if you’re stuck going to your retirement party on your retirement day? If you’re already retired you could gloat more!
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

mega317 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:01 am I think I'd rather consider it as the moment you walk out of work.
+1

I have a spreadsheet that counts up from the last day in the office. That’s what I considered retirement date.

However, for benefits and pension reasons, my “formal” retirement date was a few weeks later. I took both paid and unpaid PTO to bridge the gap.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

My retirement began on January 3, 2017, at precisely 12:00 noon Eastern Standard Time. That's the moment at which I sat in the Business Manager's office and signed the piece of paper making my separation official. I had already handed my workplace keys and cell phone over to my successor and turned in my badge, so from that moment on, I was a visitor in the building in which I had spent 36-1/2 years.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Pixafari

Post by Pixafari »

Mine began the moment I logged out my last work day. I worked from home the last 4 years of my 36 with megacorp, so I was “done” with the last log out. I use an app on my iPhone that does what you describe: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/countdown ... d363735527
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

Mine began the moment I walked out of the last meeting at the office. Technically, I still needed to file paperwork, but it was at that moment that I felt retired.
eldinerocheapo

Post by eldinerocheapo »

Mine began when I turned in all my company equipment, thanked my manager for his friendship and support, then walked through a gauntlet of handshakes, hugs, and tears of my co workers as my wife waited outside to drive us away. We later sat in a quiet corner of a beer garden and took congratulatory calls from long time friends in my industry. It brought a lot of closure.
"Dream, Dare, Do."
drdrgolf

Post by drdrgolf »

Officially, my retirement date was 11:59PM 12/31/96. The next click of the clock my company became Bell Atlantic. Of coure within a couple of years it has become Verizon.
However, my retirement began exactly in 9/96 at a company meeting which announced a new plan to downsize by offering 6 years and 6 years for calculating pension. That was adding six to years of service and six years to your age. I was retired on the ride home.
Salute.
Dominic :sharebeer
Dominic
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

tetractys wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:05 pm For your retirement, at what moment will it, or did it actually begin? Maybe the standard time is midnight just as the date changes, like on the New Year. But since it’s YOUR RETIREMENT you can pick the moment, correct or not? I’m thinking my retirement will begin at sunrise on the first day. I’m planning on being up and awake for that. What are your thoughts for your retirement moment?

What got me started on this was looking for a retirement countdown app. And I found a simple countdown app just for retirement; but rats!; it only lets you pick the day, not the moment by hour, minute, and second!
You might be surprised by the percentage of retirees who’s retirement wasn’t their decision at all. Covid will be one more thing that forces many to retire when it would have been their wish to wait.

Forget the hour, minute or the second. Some would be off by years.
Being wrong compounds forever.
azanon

Post by azanon »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:11 am
tetractys wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:05 pm For your retirement, at what moment will it, or did it actually begin? Maybe the standard time is midnight just as the date changes, like on the New Year. But since it’s YOUR RETIREMENT you can pick the moment, correct or not? I’m thinking my retirement will begin at sunrise on the first day. I’m planning on being up and awake for that. What are your thoughts for your retirement moment?

You might be surprised by the percentage of retirees who’s retirement wasn’t their decision at all. Covid will be one more thing that forces many to retire when it would have been their wish to wait.

Forget the hour, minute or the second. Some would be off by years.
I could be fired or laid off from a job, but I'd never confuse that with retirement. Retirement is a choice to no longer work for pay. If I wanted to work, I could find a job, and so could most anyone else. Granted, it might not be exactly the job you'd hope for or have the pay you'd hope for. I'm not sure even a major handicap could force me to have that mindset, given how many job programs there are for the disabled.
kramer

Post by kramer »

I felt retired when I got back to my apartment after my last day of work. Weirdly, there was a big check for my accumulated vacation pay that had been slipped under the door, about 7 weeks worth, I don't know why it wasn't direct deposited. Anyway, I have not worked for money since then (2007).

Shortly after, I moved to a different city and then started traveling around the world and then moved abroad. So it was a definite separation and new life for me, and a very short transition period.

The scariest moment was when I gave my two week notice two weeks before I quit. It was a scary and mostly irreversible decision. But I didn't feel retired until after my last day of work.
midareff

Post by midareff »

For me it had two possibilities...... it could have been March 30, 2012, at 11:30 AM when I left the office for my retirement party, or, Monday April 2, 2012, the first day of not going to work. I like to split the difference and call it April 1, April Fool's Day.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Because of a bad commute and a manager who preferred for everyone to work early "flex hours" like her I had to set my clock for 5:30 AM on workdays the last few years when I was working.

I am not a morning person so I hated that.

On my last day of work I took a picture of my alarm clock at 5:30 AM when it went off.

I retired in the middle of the week so in some ways it first felt like I was really retired the next day when the alarm did not go off and I woke up a few hours later than "normal". My last day was on a Thursday so joked that I wanted to start my retirement with a three day weekend.

The funny thing was that at the time I retired some investing company had TV ads supposedly showing people watching the sunrise on the first day of their retirement with some slogan like "Prepare for the first day of the rest of your life." I slept through that sunrise, I saw the sunrise way too often when I was driving to work.

In other ways the first time you take money out of your savings is a milestone that really makes you feel "retired". Up until then it can sort of just feel like you are on a long vacation.

Technically though it is the last time you walk out the door.
Last edited by Watty on Mon May 11, 2020 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

My retirement was officially at close of business on December 14, 2018. I gave 6-weeks notice. I was a home-based employee who sometimes traveled for meetings and training.

I was "sent off" by my coworkers at a group meeting and training session about 3 weeks prior to my last day since that was the last time I would see them in person. While the rest were in the training portion of the week, I played on my computer and chatted with people who stopped by. It was a training I would have despised taking and my boss told me he didn't care if I sat through it or not.

We had another virtual goodbye on the Monday before my last day during our weekly team conference call. On my actual last day of work, I spent the morning on the phone with long-time coworkers who had called me. My boss called around 2pm to do a final checklist of things to cover.

Around 3pm, I turned off my laptop and packed it into a box. I drove 45 minutes to a full FedEx Office location to ship it back. At 5:00 pm, I was sitting in the parking lot of FedEx on the phone with AT&T switching my phone service over from MegaCorp to my own personal account. We had to do that within 24 hours. Done! No regrets.
hudson

Post by hudson »

I've retired twice. I can't remember any special moments when I felt retired. I can't remember my last day on either retirement. I don't remember turning in anything. Maybe I just left it on my desk?
I do remember my last day in the Army. I walked into the main post finance office and gave them my paperwork and my ID card. They counted out $800 in cash with a receipt....and maybe my discharge form. When I got to my car, I couldn't find my ID. They kept it, but I had $800 and my freedom!
MisterMister

Post by MisterMister »

azanon wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:19 am ... If I wanted to work, I could find a job, and so could most anyone else. Granted, it might not be exactly the job you'd hope for or have the pay you'd hope for. I'm not sure even a major handicap could force me to have that mindset, given how many job programs there are for the disabled.
I am afraid you are living in the distant past, my friend (October, 2019 perhaps?).
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

tetractys wrote: For your retirement, at what moment will it, or did it actually begin? . . . What got me started on this was looking for a retirement countdown app. And I found a simple countdown app just for retirement; but rats!; it only lets you pick the day, not the moment by hour, minute, and second!
OK tetractys - here's the perfect retirement clock for you!

https://www.futurememories.com/retireme ... gKjj_D_BwE
Last edited by Miriam2 on Mon May 11, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MisterMister

Post by MisterMister »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:42 am
tetractys wrote: For your retirement, at what moment will it, or did it actually begin? Maybe the standard time is midnight just as the date changes, like on the New Year. But since it’s YOUR RETIREMENT you can pick the moment, correct or not? I’m thinking my retirement will begin at sunrise on the first day. I’m planning on being up and awake for that. What are your thoughts for your retirement moment?

OK tetractys - here's the perfect retirement clock for you!

https://www.futurememories.com/retireme ... gKjj_D_BwE
If you put that clock on your desk at work, you may find it runs fast.
bayview

Post by bayview »

My retirement began the morning that my alarm didn’t go off at 6:45. :beer
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
Bir48die

Post by Bir48die »

Mentally it was September 2015 but they talked me into PT for another six months. April 1st was my retirement party and the camper was packed in the parking lot. Grabbed my goodies and headed to the beach. It was an unseasonably beautiful three days and it just seemed like it was all meant to be. Drank a lot of beer and just tried to get my head around the fact that I didn't have to deal with any more crap.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Moments when "retirement" begins.

When one is totally fed up with working for many reasons. (the beginning of the end, mentally retired).
or
The last paycheck. Working income goes to zero.
or
The "ahaaaaa"!!! moment sitting on the veranda of a dream retirement home with zero commitments.
or
Financially independent but continuing to work for the love of the profession. .
or
Financially retired. . . but mentally unable to grasp the concept. . . . (retirement will never fully take hold).
or ??

It has never been my goal to "retire" and "retirement" was never in my vocabulary (nor my family's when I grew up).
so. . .I still can't grasp the concept of it. . . though by most measures. . I am "retired" . . but "dabble in work things".

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

I would use the definition used by the Bogleheads Retirement Roll Call, which uses the definition of its founding mother, Lady Victoria 8-)

Lady Victoria's definition of "retirement" is = there is no strict definition.

According to the Lady, a Boglehead's inclusion in the Retirement Roll Call is based on self-reporting.

In other words, if you feel you are retired, even though you are still busy, doing temporary work, training your poor replacements for your irreplaceable position, engaged in easy work or a hobby, paid or unpaid or underpaid - when you feel you have punched out of the rat race - then you are retired :D
22twain

Post by 22twain »

I retired at the end of a year. Everybody at my college (except essential staff like campus police) went on vacation at the end of the week before Christmas. During that week I took all my personal stuff home, leaving only my computer. At 5pm on Friday, I packed up the computer and locked my office door. I was the only person left in the building at that point, so I also turned out the lights and locked the outside door before loading the computer into my car and driving home.

For good measure, on the way out, I took my name off the directory board next to the stairs, sticking the letters in alphabetical order at the bottom of the board.

That was my "moment of retirement."

However, I didn't really start to "feel" retired until January 2, when I would have had to go back to the office after Christmas vacation.

I did stop by the campus police office sometime during the first week of January, to turn in my keys. Somehow that didn't have quite the same feeling to it.
Last edited by 22twain on Tue May 12, 2020 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

All I know for sure is that there is a zero percent chance I will see sunrise on the first day after I retire.
Teague

Post by Teague »

About two minutes after reading one of those early-FIRE blogs. Then, retired, you head out the door to your usual job but now call it a hobby or side-hustle or something like that.
Semper Augustus
Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd »

The moment you truly feel free from the BS
azanon

Post by azanon »

MisterMister wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:33 am
azanon wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:19 am ... If I wanted to work, I could find a job, and so could most anyone else. Granted, it might not be exactly the job you'd hope for or have the pay you'd hope for. I'm not sure even a major handicap could force me to have that mindset, given how many job programs there are for the disabled.
I am afraid you are living in the distant past, my friend (October, 2019 perhaps?).
Nope. Don't mind repeating - if all I wanted to do was get any job, it's literally a matter of time. Very very few exceptions here.

Give me an example of someone that literally can't get any job, and has no hope of getting any job months from now. I'm including delivering pizzas and mowing yards here, by the way.

Oh, maybe you're confusing unemployment with retired. Is that what happened? That was a response to someone that claimed to believe in a literal interpretation of "forced retirement". Maybe your current employer can force your retirement from your current job, but they can't force you to stay retired.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Retirement begins at some point in the future. Retirement planning begins the first day one starts working!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 »

My retirement began on Friday, September 30, 2011, at 3PM EDT.

The day I walked out of mega-corp HQ for the last time was one of the best days of my life.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

My retirement began 8 weeks and a few days after my last day of work.

I woke up the first morning of my 8 week sabbatical knowing that I was UNofficially retired. I was still on the payroll and had my work laptop set up on the dining room table. I knew I was still employed even though I felt no urge to check into what was happening at the office.

The original goal had been to use that last sabbatical to practice being retired and then return to work for about a year before retiring. But a few weeks earlier the company had offered a voluntary separation package that translated to getting paid for most of that planned final year. So I enjoyed my pre-retirement sabbatical and then, after the July 4th holiday, returned to the office for one day for a cake-and-ice cream farewell party and the exit interview. Handed over my work computer and had my badge de-activated.

I think knowing that after 21 years I could no longer stroll into any of Megacorp's buildings around the world was the moment my retirement began in my head.
iceport

Post by iceport »

tetractys wrote:At what moment does retirement begin?
Well this is a fine way to bring back fond memories! :D I have so many vivid memories from the days surrounding my retirement, but it's harder than I would have expected to pin down the exact moment that I felt truly retired.

My retirement officially started on Saturday, April 1, 2017, according to the paperwork. And my last workday was a Friday, which felt appropriate. So I suppose the official start was at 12:01 AM on Saturday 4/1/2017. But when did it feel like retirement actually began?

There was the moment I dropped off my badge at the security desk and walked out to my car for the last time.

There was the moment 50 minutes later when I walked into my house with my box of belongings and mementos.

There was the next morning, a Saturday, when I woke up for the first time in 32 years without a job. :shock:

But if I had to pick a single moment when I felt truly retired, it would be the following Monday morning when I woke up without an alarm clock and realized I didn't have to rush off to work, unlike all the good folks I used to work with. It was then that I felt completely liberated from the job that had consumed so much of my time and energy for the last 30 years.

What a deliciously sweet moment that was.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
ByThePond

Post by ByThePond »

My last official act on the job was a graduation ceremony.
At the end, as we the faculty exited to the strains of some pompous organ recessional, I was heard to be singing: " School's out for summer, school's out forEVER!" .
My colleagues found it highly amusing. I found it highly liberating.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

When I thought it was a Saturday...but it wasn't.

Took three weeks before I could figure out what day of the week it was. Until then, every day felt like Saturday.
umk

Post by umk »

After 19 years at the same company (without ever getting a single promotion), I turned in my laptop, corporate card and badge last Thursday 5/7/2020 around 11 am and walked out of the building without any regret. I am looking forward to my retirement and freedom. :beer
bayview

Post by bayview »

umk wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:32 pm After 19 years at the same company (without ever getting a single promotion), I turned in my laptop, corporate card and badge last Thursday 5/7/2020 around 11 am and walked out of the building without any regret. I am looking forward to my retirement and freedom. :beer
Congratulations, and welcome to the rest of your life!
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
Topic Author
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Well uh it’s obvious to me I’m absolutely unqualified to return comment. But...

Wow you people! ALL your experiences are REALLY touching, let alone enlightening. Now I’m looking forward to my moment even more.

Still leaning to the sunrise thing; but definitely keeping in mind the seemingly infinite possibilities you’re all relaying!

Thumbs up!

P.S. Miriam2, Lady Victoria, I’ll be there.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

In the past, I've been quite insistent that "being retired" means you are no longer working for money.

But, for this thread, I sort of already feel retired. I'm still working the same job I have had for 20 years. Decently high up and well compensated. But about 9 months, I "mentally quit". So I still go to work, do what I'm supposed to do, but I don't have the level of caring or desire that I would like to have. In a very really sense, I am "running out the clock".

So in. a real sense, I feel like my retirement has already begun. But I think it will really kick in to another level when either (a)I get fired for some some reason, or (b) February 2024 comes along and I quit for good.....
retiredflyboy

Post by retiredflyboy »

Last day was December 31, 2012. So at 12:00 am on Jan. 1, 2013 I was retired. I rang in the new year as a new retiree! From a more practical perspective, when I left work on December 31, 2012 I was retired.
Facts are stubborn things. Everything works until it doesn’t.
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

the last OFFICIAL moment was leaving the great party they gave me. REALITY was when the two of us, sitting on a restaurant patio, (Nepenthe, Big Sur)on a WEDNESDAY, at noon, drinking very large Margaritas, with chips and salsa. Free at last....
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Stressful oil and gas position - I kept a spreadsheet, too, that counted down to July 2016 (arbitrary 5 year plan). It came and went as we were so busy and I was only 62. I was laid off March 2, 2018 at age 64, very nice severance. Happy day, but also panicked - filed for unemployment, did a few interviews, after a few vacations. I finally decided in late September 2018 I was RETIRED!
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

dbr wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:29 pm Technically I was probably retired at exactly the minute or so I handed my badge to my manager at the door and the door latched behind me. Yes, she literally collected my ID as I walked out the door with a handshake. I don't remember how we set exactly that day but I think it had to do with some shenanigans about 401K contributions, stock option grants, insurance or something and time of day was set when we both decided it would just be nice to do it.
+1

When I had handed all equipment, id badge in and walked out the doir.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

abuss368 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:29 pm

Retirement begins at some point in the future. Retirement planning begins the first day one starts working!
Unfortunately I didn’t do that. Everyone should have plans and goals for retirement.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Dottie57 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:34 am
abuss368 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:29 pm

Unfortunately I didn’t do that. Everyone should have plans and goals for retirement.
:sharebeer
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

Since my car was parked in the company parking garage which had an access card to get in/out, my boss and I got in my car and drove through the exit gate. I then handed him my ID badge and parking garage card, shook his hand, and drove off. That drive home was one of the most relaxing times of my life. :D

I had a similar feeling the day I got out of the Army. But, while driving home from Ft. Bragg, I got stuck in a massive traffic jam trying to get through Washington DC, which took some of the fun out of that day.
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

Normchad wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:22 pm I sort of already feel retired. I'm still working the same job I have had for 20 years. Decently high up and well compensated. But about 9 months, I "mentally quit". So I still go to work, do what I'm supposed to do, but I don't have the level of caring or desire that I would like to have. In a very really sense, I am "running out the clock".

So in. a real sense, I feel like my retirement has already begun.
It has. You are. Been there. (Except for high up and well compensated.) Done that. If all the numbers line up, quit now. The next four years will be the longest of your life.

It's been about 10 years now; but, as I recall, I spent the last year of employment doing other things - settling Mom's estate, waiting for junior to complete college, etc. - I wasn't really there. Wasn't fair to the firm and others.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
Portfolio7

Post by Portfolio7 »

I am enjoying this thread. I am still a wage slave, so I can't talk about retirement...

But, I can say that I have not quite 2 years (633 Days, 10 hours and some odd minutes and seconds per my little retirement clock) until I am eligible for retirement from Megacorp... which is no great shakes, but at least it's something. Thank goodness I started my 401K as soon as I could. 6 years past that, our retirement savings "should" have grown enough for me to truly hang it up. The time depends heavily on a host of variables, so I'll be playing those 6 years +/- by ear.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest" - Benjamin Franklin