Problems with Xfinity Internet drops

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
A440

Problems with Xfinity Internet drops

Post by A440 »

We have been having too many connectivity issues with Xfinity Internet. We have new lines from the tap (pole) to the exterior of the house and from the exterior of the house to inside. We have a brand new $200 3rd party Xfinity approved gateway (Arris Surfboard DOCIS 3.0) attached directly to the line entering the house. Everything works great...until is doesn't. We need to reboot the gateway at least once daily because we get T3 timeouts on the Event Log. We are connected to the gateway, but no internet. The even log also shows SYNC Timing failures and RCS Partial service, whatever those are?

I have escalated this to Comcast Executive team, but still the issue persists. We currently have about 25 devices connected (phones, laptop, game, amazon devices, etc). Not all are being used simultaneously. Speed has NOT been an issue. My understanding is a typical router/modem can handle much more than 25 devices.

We do not have any other ISP in our town, so Xfinity is our only option.
Any suggestions as to how to fix this issue?
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
Watty

Re: Problems with Xfinity Internet drops

Post by Watty »

A440 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:50 am We have a brand new $200 3rd party Xfinity approved gateway (Arris Surfboard DOCIS 3.0) attached directly to the line entering the house.
The first thing I would do would be to update the firmware if you have not done that already. Also make sure your other devices are up to date.

If you still have the old equipment you might try putting that back in to see if you have the same problem with it.

Also check with your neighbors to see if they are having similar problems.
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

We also have Xfinity/Comcast and more than a year ago they recommended upgrading the modem to DOCSIS 3.1 - we bought our own , it's Motorola Model MB8600 - until very recently we've had very few issues with internet connectivity but recently in the mornings we've been getting a spotty connection but for only a few minutes and then it's OK for the rest of the day - on only one day recently did I have to unplug/plug the router.

However , we're typically only using 3 devices simultaneously in the morning , iPhone , iPad , & Laptop - our son and his family have a few more devices and their remedy eventually was an upgrade to their routor and I think they also installed boosters around the house .

The only other thought that my wife had was the overall nationwide surge in usage due to more people at home trying to stay "entertained" putting a strain on the background systems ??
Last edited by ubermax on Fri May 08, 2020 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

What model of modem? Certain ones powered an Intel chipset have had severe problems -- Broadcom based units are fine.
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

I have the Arris Surfboard DocSys 3.0 modem/router with voice as well and have not had a problem. I started with the Xfinity supplied device and bought my own to save the $15/month. I see no difference in performance in the two which are amazingly fast compared to DSL. A couple of PCs, cell phones, lots of Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

Nummerkins wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:48 am What model of modem? Certain ones powered an Intel chipset have had severe problems -- Broadcom based units are fine.
Yeah a lot of the Arris modems come with the Intel chip, which is why I stayed away from them and bought a Motorola.

That said one thing to keep in mind is that cable internet is technically shared with your neighbors and with everyone being home now (and kids doing school from home too) your internet quality can suffer. Ours certainly has.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

We have Comcast/Xfinity and about a month ago I bought a Motorola MB 7621 Modem and Google Mesh Wifi. No problems or issues with these units. OP you may want to test out a new Modem and see if the issue persists.

Dave
Last edited by Dave55 on Fri May 08, 2020 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
A440

Post by A440 »

I just checked with Arris. They won't tell me what type of chip is in the unit (company policy). When I chatted with support they told me my upstream power levels are too low and I need to have an Xfinity maintenance tech come out to raise them to levels for this gateway SBG7600AC (between 45-52 range). Currently the levels are 43.
Maybe this is the issue?
delamer

Post by delamer »

ubermax wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:41 am We also have Xfinity/Comcast and more than a year ago they recommended upgrading the modem to DOCSIS 3.1 - we bought our own , it's Motorola Model MB8600 - until very recently we've had very few issues with internet connectivity but recently in the mornings we've been getting a spotty connection but for only a few minutes and then it's OK for the rest of the day - on only one day recently did I have to unplug/plug the router.

However , we're typically only using 3 devices simultaneously in the morning , iPhone , iPad , & Laptop - our son and his family have a few more devices and their remedy eventually was an upgrade to their routor and I think they also installed boosters around the house .

The only other thought that my wife had was the overall nationwide surge in usage due to more people at home trying to stay "entertained" putting a strain on the background systems ??
Lots of people are having online meetings or otherwise using the internet to work from home and/or their kids are going to school online, so entertainment may be the least of it.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I would consider paying the rental fee for an Xfinity modem until the issue is resolved. Hopefully, this will only cost you one month’s fee. It eliminates one possible issue. But, more importantly, the Xfinity technicians can not attribute the problem to your equipment. I am not sure if their modem also makes it easier to diagnose the problem or not - years ago I was told it did.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

I have this same problem sometimes and use an Arris Surfboard SVG2482 + Xfinity.

I am on the Arris website but do not easily see how to update firmware..... :|

The website states: "No Drivers & Firmware Currently Available"
inverter

Post by inverter »

I think this is your modem.
rhanna

Post by rhanna »

I had a problem with an Arris modem earlier in the year. It just stopped working one day and of course both Arris and Comcast were pointing the finger at each other. I think I figured out that comcast had an update over night and they had not fixed the issue with the Arris modems. I ended up purchasing a different modem and everything worked fine after that
Oicuryy

Post by Oicuryy »

Your modem is timing out waiting for a response from the modem at the other end. That is often due to interference of other issues on the line between the modems. Since your drop wire and inside wire have been replaced, the problem is likely further upstream.

You might try posting logs, signal levels and other details here. Give them several days to reply.
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect

Ron
Money is fungible | Abbreviations and Acronyms
Topic Author
A440

Post by A440 »

rhanna wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:17 pm I had a problem with an Arris modem earlier in the year. It just stopped working one day and of course both Arris and Comcast were pointing the finger at each other. I think I figured out that comcast had an update over night and they had not fixed the issue with the Arris modems. I ended up purchasing a different modem and everything worked fine after that
This is plan C (Motorola brand) if:
A- Xfinity will not raise the Upstream channel power level to meet Arris requirements
B- Xfinity supplied gateway works (unless I can convince them to let us use it rent free for a year)
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

vitaflo wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:43 am
Nummerkins wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:48 am What model of modem? Certain ones powered an Intel chipset have had severe problems -- Broadcom based units are fine.
Yeah a lot of the Arris modems come with the Intel chip, which is why I stayed away from them and bought a Motorola.

That said one thing to keep in mind is that cable internet is technically shared with your neighbors and with everyone being home now (and kids doing school from home too) your internet quality can suffer. Ours certainly has.
Arris owns Motorola (Broadband).
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:40 pm I have this same problem sometimes and use an Arris Surfboard SVG2482 + Xfinity.

Only the cable company can update the firmware for a cable modem; the user can't.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

gtd98765 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:31 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:40 pm I have this same problem sometimes and use an Arris Surfboard SVG2482 + Xfinity.

Only the cable company can update the firmware for a cable modem; the user can't.
Interesting. Luckily my problem is only sporadic. Thanks!
megabad

Post by megabad »

Are your neighbors having any issues?
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

megabad wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:25 pm Are your neighbors having any issues?
If you're asking me, I haven't asked lately. Many use a different company but something to consider. There are known regional outages from time to time that I read about on social media.
dsronfire

Post by dsronfire »

I dealt with timeout/drops years back with Spectrum/Charter. This went on for years. They made multiple attempts at replacing routers and power tuning. Ultimately it was a cable issue. The one from outside house (a cable drop on a pole) to internal distribution point. It wasn't a proper outdoor cable and had been knawed in an area where cable was underground in dirt (connectors are very common trouble location).

If possible, for test purposes, you can attempt to bypass cabling with 100% known good and proper cables (working backwards from router to outside) and monitor results. Having worked in the business for too many years, I've seen many meaning-well techs not able to properly terminate a cable or use wrong cable.

Good Luck!
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

A440 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:19 pm I just checked with Arris. They won't tell me what type of chip is in the unit (company policy). When I chatted with support they told me my upstream power levels are too low and I need to have an Xfinity maintenance tech come out to raise them to levels for this gateway SBG7600AC (between 45-52 range). Currently the levels are 43.
Maybe this is the issue?
Your gateway does have the faulty Intel Puma chipset. However, the problems with that chipset are primarily latency-related (and therefore present as very poor performance in realtime applications such as gaming, videoconferencing, etc), so I don't suspect it's the cause of your current issues. SYNC failures are almost always an issue on the carrier side. Definitely have the line tech come out and do the diagnostic. They may need to make a change at the CO (replace a line card or something) to resolve your issue.

Going forward, it's wise to always buy separate router and modem. That way if you ever have a need to, you can replace or upgrade just one component instead of having to throw the whole mess out and start over. Currently I use and recommend the Arris SB8200, which uses a Broadcom chipset. Has been absolutely rock-solid for me for 2.5 years with two different providers.
StrongMBS

Post by StrongMBS »

This might be a long shot, but have you investigated the AC power supplied to the modem? Modern electronics are more susceptible to malfunction caused by AC power disruption then we think. Equipment with large power surge at startup are often the cause frequently by something with a 120V motor (e.g. well pump, AC, furnace, freezer, dehumidifier, vacuums) but other things can be the problem (i.e. laser printers). Since modems are often close to these utilities, they can experience issues if they share the same AC circuit. Although less common for large disruption even sharing the same leg of a 240V service (i.e. the same side of the circuit breaker box) can be an issue.
A word of caution for minimum disruptions a surge power strip or inexpensive UPSs might be enough although it would only mask the issue and not solve it. And maybe make the issue even more intermittent and harder to debug. UPSs come with a wide range of Auto Voltage Regulation (AVR) functionality and price depending on the need. Basic AVR functionality comes with a 25% price increase over a basic UPS.
I had this issue in my home office where suddenly I had intermittent issue with some of my electronics usually in the morning. It turned out that my new multifunction laser printer was plugged in at the in of a long AC circuit in my office. Even though I had my electronics besides the printer on a basic UPS it was not enough if I turned on my laser printer and my computer to close together in the morning. I moved the laser printer to another circuit and have not had a issues since in my office.
Topic Author
A440

Post by A440 »

Thanks for all the great suggestions and thoughts.
Friday was a rainy day and we had to reboot 3x's. Not sure if the weather was the cause or not. We are also running 4 laptops and streaming Google Meets and Zooms periodically for distance learning/teaching.
This morning the device rebooted itself, that was the first time that has ever happened in it's short time out of the box.
Xfinity is sending me one of their gateways to try for a month (free). They tell me all the numbers look good on their end and once their gateway is provisioned they can read the data and see what is happening. Not sure if that is quite believable or not, but we'll give it a try.
If the Arris Gateway SBG7600AC turns out to be the problem I have a Motorola MB7621 modem and TP-Link AC1900 Archer 9 Dual band router in my Amazon Cart. I also have a TP-link wireless extender. Hopefully the combo will work better than the gateway.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

A few years ago I lived in a house where the internet went out occasionally when it rained. After months of being instructed to reboot the modem, I finally got the cable company to come out and look, and it turned out that water was leaking in to some vital part of the network on the telephone pole. Once they fixed that, no more rain problems.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

A440 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:19 pm Xfinity is sending me one of their gateways to try for a month (free). They tell me all the numbers look good on their end and once their gateway is provisioned they can read the data and see what is happening. Not sure if that is quite believable or not, but we'll give it a try.
If the Arris Gateway SBG7600AC turns out to be the problem I have a Motorola MB7621 modem and TP-Link AC1900 Archer 9 Dual band router in my Amazon Cart. I also have a TP-link wireless extender. Hopefully the combo will work better than the gateway.
Glad Xfinity is letting you use one of their Gateways for free. I do think Xfinity has access to more diag info if you use their modem. But, maybe more importantly, they can not blame “your” equipment for the problem while they search for the solution.

I have a question with your plan though if you need to purchase new equipment. Why would you by a router and extender combination instead of a mesh WiFi system? I guess the latter might be a bit more expensive but you all have 25 devices, 4 people, online learning and working from home. I think it would be a good place to spend just a few more dollars for a better system.
Topic Author
A440

Post by A440 »

UPDATE: So the Xfinity Gateway seems to be working much better than my owned Arris gateway. Strange that the Xfinity Gateway is made by Arris, but it works. Maybe the Arris gateway I purchased has the bad Puma 6 chip? Maybe the gateway, as Arris tells me, does need a higher Upstream channel power level that Xfinity is not willing to provide? I did plug in the Xfinity gateway directly into an outlet and not through a power strip, as someone mentioned in this thread. Perhaps that did the trick?
We still get intermittent drops, but only for a few seconds and a rebooting of the gateway isn't needed. The speeds also seem to be a little better, as does coverage throughout the house.
I can get a refund for my owned gateway through the end of the month, so I'll send that back and purchase a modem and mesh router mentioned in this thread. Thanks for all the great advice!
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

If your intermittent internet loss comes back you could try an active downstream/upstream cable amplifier. I have Xfinity/Comcast Business internet for years and used to have intermittent internet loss. Comcast had to run a new cable when they first installed my service. My upstream/downstream power levels were at the fringe and causing intermittent loss of internet. Comcast tech came out and installed this amplifier:

https://smile.amazon.com/PPC-Active-Ret ... =0&ie=UTF8

I have not had an issue since he installed it.
Nate7out

Post by Nate7out »

I had an intermittent connection loss and they kept blaming it on my personally owned modem. It actually ended up being a loose ground in the box on my house.

EDIT: I also have an Arris modem.