Capital One 360 Savings Promo

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
LivinGood

Capital One 360 Savings Promo

Post by LivinGood »

Capital One is doing a fairly nice promo bonus if you switch to their 360 savings account before May 31st. Tiered bonuses depending on the deposit. I have 30k at CIT earning 1.45%. This offer would give me a bonus of 300$ after meeting certain time requirements, and a 1.5% rate. Has anyone taken advantage of this offer? I’m not so concerned about the slightly better rate, but it seems like a easy way to make 300$. Thoughts?
lws

Re: Capital One 360 Savings Promo

Post by lws »

I am getting ready to do it.
Summit111

Post by Summit111 »

I was in the Capital One 360 paying 1.5% until they dropped the rate to 0.5% last month...Transferred the entire balance to the Capital One Performance Savings still paying 1.5%....

Why must they play these games?

Summit
Last edited by Summit111 on Tue May 05, 2020 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog
BlackcatCA

Post by BlackcatCA »

I read that it is a targeted offer. I have a Capital One 360 MM account but did not get the email. Does anyone know how to request this offer?
e5116

Post by e5116 »

BlackcatCA wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:23 pm I read that it is a targeted offer. I have a Capital One 360 MM account but did not get the email. Does anyone know how to request this offer?
It's not targeted for new customers. Available for everyone. However, yes there's a separate targeted offer for existing Capital One customers. I know that doesn't help, but wanted to make clear that I believe the OP is referring to the new customers offer. The targeted one has a bit different terms. And obviously you don't qualify for the OP bonus if you already have an account with them...

I'm debating between this one which take 5 months to post or the Discover Savings one which posts in like a day. That one caps at $200 though whereas can get up to $500 from Cap One. I'm thinking of abondaning MM funds and going the high yield savings route, so might as well get a sign up bonus too.
BlackcatCA

Post by BlackcatCA »

e5116 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:30 pm
BlackcatCA wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:23 pm I read that it is a targeted offer. I have a Capital One 360 MM account but did not get the email. Does anyone know how to request this offer?
It's not targeted for new customers. Available for everyone. However, yes there's a separate targeted offer for existing Capital One customers. I know that doesn't help, but wanted to make clear that I believe the OP is referring to the new customers offer. The targeted one has a bit different terms. And obviously you don't qualify for the OP bonus if you already have an account with them...
Okay that wasn’t clear. But my question still stands for existing customers: does any one know how to request this offer? Capital One does not offer a way to do secured email, which is most annoying as I have no time to call.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

I'm an existing Capital One customer (CDs, checking, and credit card, but no savings acct). I signed up for this offer on Monday. Interest rate is the same as my current savings acct at Barclays, but the bonus cash is nice for very little effort (probably 10-15 minutes total to set up the acct and initiate the transfer).

For anyone who qualifies for the offer (can't be current Capital One savings acct holder), then you can just Google "Capital One savings account bonus" and you should be able to get to a Capital One link that will input the promo code (SCORE500).
ohboy!

Post by ohboy! »

I’m in. Had a big chunk at Sallie Mae whose rates are down to 1.1%. Did Capital One last week for the bonus and higher rate. Consider playing with Discover as well. I also think HSBC has a decent bonus going, anyone familiar with how that compares? I have a good amount in Cash and like to make it work on these low risk signup bonuses.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

I think the offer i got was $150 bonus if I move 20 to 50k. $450 bonus if I move over 50k. Looks like they have 'predictive analytics' working and are targeting different offers to diff people? Sounds smart.

I may bite on this offer...
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
tarnation

Post by tarnation »

I'm trying to get one of these, but because I had some account there 16 years ago, it won't let me complete the app online. I'm on my second call to customer service. I am not impressed.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

tarnation wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:41 pm I'm trying to get one of these, but because I had some account there 16 years ago, it won't let me complete the app online. I'm on my second call to customer service. I am not impressed.
.....and you're probably not eligible. Neither am I.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
tarnation

Post by tarnation »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:07 pm
tarnation wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:41 pm I'm trying to get one of these, but because I had some account there 16 years ago, it won't let me complete the app online. I'm on my second call to customer service. I am not impressed.
.....and you're probably not eligible. Neither am I.
The first rep I talked to said, it wouldn't be disqualifying and put a note in my file to such effect. However, after a total of an hour on call with them, they can't figure out how I can create an online account.
JV

Post by JV »

I just took advantage of this today. Was looking for a new place to park my EF due to horrid MM rates. Website was super slick, took me < 3 minutes to complete it, another 2 minutes to add joint account holder. I already have a Cap One CC so that did save me a little time. I already got a confirmation that my money has transferred. So far the experience has been stellar.
HeelaMonster

Post by HeelaMonster »

Thanks for the tip on this promo. Just to confirm my understanding.... am I correct that this must be new money to Capital One, and not simply a transfer from one Capital One account to another (e.g., moving from existing MM to new savings account)?
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

HeelaMonster wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:58 pm Thanks for the tip on this promo. Just to confirm my understanding.... am I correct that this must be new money to Capital One, and not simply a transfer from one Capital One account to another (e.g., moving from existing MM to new savings account)?
Yep, it has to be new money that’s not currently in any type of CO acct.
JV

Post by JV »

From the CO website:

Open a 360 Performance Savings account between 12:00 a.m. ET on April 16, 2020, and 11:59 p.m. ET on May 31, 2020. When you open your account, enter your promotional code—SCORE500. If you have or had an open savings and/or money market account (excluding CDs, IRA savings accounts and Kids Savings accounts) as a primary or secondary account holder with Capital One on or after January 1, 2016, you're ineligible for the bonus. This account is subject to approval.
Aguilar

Capital One Savings $500 bonus - worth it?

Post by Aguilar »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Is there a catch? Any deals better than this for fixed income?

https://www.capitalone.com/score500/

Im making 1.6 APY with HSBC now. Seems the Cap One promo is quite a deal.
lakpr

Re: Capital One Savings $500 bonus - worth it?

Post by lakpr »

That's a 1% promo + 1.5% APY = 2.5% return on your deposit.

If you are willing to go through some slight hoops, Lake Michigan Credit Union gives you 3% on its Max Rewards Checking account, although the amount is limited to $15k per SSN. For a couple that would be $30k.
HeelaMonster

Post by HeelaMonster »

JV wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:41 pm From the CO website:

Open a 360 Performance Savings account between 12:00 a.m. ET on April 16, 2020, and 11:59 p.m. ET on May 31, 2020. When you open your account, enter your promotional code—SCORE500. If you have or had an open savings and/or money market account (excluding CDs, IRA savings accounts and Kids Savings accounts) as a primary or secondary account holder with Capital One on or after January 1, 2016, you're ineligible for the bonus. This account is subject to approval.
Aha, thanks for clarification, even if it took me out of the hunt. I had seen reference to savings account exclusion, but was secretly hoping that MM =/= savings account (which was foolish, of course!).
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I think it's worth it... but unfortunately I'm already using Capital One and not eligible
Makes me wish I had dumped Capital One years ago :(
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Slick8503

Post by Slick8503 »

The offer is higher than 2.5 because you earn it in 90 days. You are free to chase another bonus after earning it.
meebers

Post by meebers »

I have a GM card called "Buy Power Card" that has the CapitalOne logo on it. (I believe they just administer it??) Don't know if this makes me an official CapitalOne member or not?? :shock:
JV

Post by JV »

meebers wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:28 pm I have a GM card called "Buy Power Card" that has the CapitalOne logo on it. (I believe they just administer it??) Don't know if this makes me an official CapitalOne member or not?? :shock:
Based on what I snipped from their website above, it says nothing about being disqualified for having a CO credit card. I have a Venture card.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Aguilar's thread into the on-going discussion. The combined thread is in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B »

JV wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:37 pm
meebers wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:28 pm I have a GM card called "Buy Power Card" that has the CapitalOne logo on it. (I believe they just administer it??) Don't know if this makes me an official CapitalOne member or not?? :shock:
Based on what I snipped from their website above, it says nothing about being disqualified for having a CO credit card. I have a Venture card.
Yes, I have a Capital One Quicksilver card and qualified for the account.
N00Bogle

Post by N00Bogle »

Before you set up this account get your money organized. The Cap 1 money eligible for the bonus must arrive in the account within 10 days of opening. You can only set up 1 external bank account at a time, and each one will take several days to get the test deposits and verify. In other words, you should have all the money coming from one source.

I did this, and my money still will not arrive within the deadline. Even after verifying the test deposits the money is in limbo for at least 4 business days. Now I have to see if I can get a waiver on the 10 day requirement and prepare to pull all the money out and put it in a better rate.
Jack Worthing

Post by Jack Worthing »

Stay away from Capital One. While they are 'mid-range' scummy, as opposed to really predatory banks, bottom line is that they are really just thieves trying to steal your money. Look VERY hard at the fine print and work out exactly how much will go to them in a year and how much more that is than the $300.00 you'll get. You'd be surprised at how many '$15.00 fees per month for six months' riders they sneak into these offers. Don't get me wrong, I've opened up new credit cards and gotten free money and cancelled the card as soon as my benefit came in, but these bank account scams are sometimes really not a good a deal as you'd think.
ofckrupke

Post by ofckrupke »

N00Bogle wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:41 am Before you set up this account get your money organized. The Cap 1 money eligible for the bonus must arrive in the account within 10 days of opening. You can only set up 1 external bank account at a time, and each one will take several days to get the test deposits and verify. In other words, you should have all the money coming from one source.

I did this, and my money still will not arrive within the deadline. Even after verifying the test deposits the money is in limbo for at least 4 business days. Now I have to see if I can get a waiver on the 10 day requirement and prepare to pull all the money out and put it in a better rate.
Since Cap One seems to be lazy about acquiring external funds they might have to pay a bonus on: is the Cap One Performance Savings account number ABA compliant, so one could instead set up the link from the sourcing institution to the new Cap One account on the other institution's historically brisker verification timeline, and then ACH-push the funds from that place/account rather than being subjected to Cap One's verification/lazy-pull/hold-on-funds protocol?
SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B »

N00Bogle wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:41 am Before you set up this account get your money organized. The Cap 1 money eligible for the bonus must arrive in the account within 10 days of opening. You can only set up 1 external bank account at a time, and each one will take several days to get the test deposits and verify. In other words, you should have all the money coming from one source.

Since I had my CapitolOne credit card already linked to an external account, my funding went much faster, But otherwise, yes, this is what I’ve read from several reports.
tarnation

Post by tarnation »

ofckrupke wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:00 am

Since Cap One seems to be lazy about acquiring external funds they might have to pay a bonus on: is the Cap One Performance Savings account number ABA compliant, so one could instead set up the link from the sourcing institution to the new Cap One account on the other institution's historically brisker verification timeline, and then ACH-push the funds from that place/account rather than being subjected to Cap One's verification/lazy-pull/hold-on-funds protocol?
I see their ABA routing number, and have account number so ACH push might be an option. However, the only way I see for a push at my institution is POP money, which is way too limited.
edit: They have forms for direct deposit too, so they must be able to get ACH push.
gary11

Post by gary11 »

Thanks for pointing this out. I never thought about it, I just opened this account with one source for transfer but now I'm little anxious to see when transfer will take place.
MTZ

Post by MTZ »

dang, I wish I had seen this before I signed up last night. If they won't verify both my bank accounts at the same time then there is no way I'll make the 10-day window now.. I had no idea they won't verify more than one at at time, that is such a gotcha.
Mountain Doc

Post by Mountain Doc »

For those worried about getting ACH set up in time, why not just write yourself a check from your other bank account and do a mobile deposit into Capital One?
tarnation

Post by tarnation »

Mountain Doc wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:27 am

For those worried about getting ACH set up in time, why not just write yourself a check from your other bank account and do a mobile deposit into Capital One?
Was wondering about that option. Is there a limit for mobile deposit? Can I do one for 50k??
Mountain Doc

Post by Mountain Doc »

tarnation wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:38 am

Was wondering about that option. Is there a limit for mobile deposit? Can I do one for 50k??
Good point, I didn't think about that. I don't have a Capital One account, so I don't know what their mobile deposit limit is.
ofckrupke

Post by ofckrupke »

Mountain Doc wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:27 am For those worried about getting ACH set up in time, why not just write yourself a check from your other bank account and do a mobile deposit into Capital One?
You're telling me there's an app for that, but maybe I don't want it on my phone. And if mobile deposit only feeds directly to a C1 checking account, maybe I don't want that either...maybe I just want the Performance savings account. But as a last resort if other mechanisms go awry, it might come in handy so thanks for this suggestion.
tarnation

Post by tarnation »

Mountain Doc wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:42 am
tarnation wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:38 am

Good point, I didn't think about that. I don't have a Capital One account, so I don't know what their mobile deposit limit is.
Downloaded it. $5K limit.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

ofckrupke wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:48 am
You're telling me there's an app for that, but maybe I don't want it on my phone. And if mobile deposit only feeds directly to a C1 checking account, maybe I don't want that either...maybe I just want the Performance savings account. But as a last resort if other mechanisms go awry, it might come in handy so thanks for this suggestion.
You don't need a CO checking account to do mobile deposits. You can deposit into a savings account.

CO may place a hold on mobile deposits. I think Schwab did that for a while after I opened a checking account. I don't know if CO does something similar for new accounts.
MTZ

Post by MTZ »

actually maybe I thought of a workaround here.. since my 2 existing banks are already linked to each other, but only one will theoretically get linked to Capital One in time, I'll just move the bulk of my cash immediately to the bank that's getting linked first . Then as soon as that account is verified, xfer it all over. Maybe this will work out, I want my bonus!! :mrgreen:
Aguilar

Post by Aguilar »

Im about to transfer $50k from my HSBC savings account to my main disposable checking to link to a new Cap One account with this promo and make the transfer within 10 days. Before I do, any final word on if there’s a catch here like hidden fees?
tarnation

Post by tarnation »

No, just good luck transferring money. It’s been 48+ hours and they haven’t made the little deposits to authenticate my wife’s account. Mine they won’t even call me back to help me open one.
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

I've used Cap One 360 for many years (had the ING Orange accounts, they had to sell out of the US for some reason, and Capital One bought them) for both checking and savings. I always found the old Capital One "What's in your wallet" marketing to be pretty smarmy, but I have to say that using them as my primary cash flow conduit (checking account) since June 2013 has been fine. No problems. And it is used a lot for electronic movements.

I received the marketing email on May 4, for existing clients. I virtually ignore all these banking come-ons and don't chase rate performance. But I figured I would read this one again the next morning and I took them up on it.

Email was basically:
  • Earn a $450 bonus when you deposit $50,000 or more, or earn $150 when you deposit $20,000–$49,999.99, of new money into your 360 Performance Savings account ending in xyz2 by May 31, 2020.
  • Keep your deposit in your account until August 29, 2020.
  • Bring on the bonus—and use this extra cash for whatever you decide.
The bonus cash is supposed to be posted to the account on October 28.

"New cash" could be taken from other Cap One 360 bank accounts or from a new external source.

I had recently moved a bit more than $100K cash from Vanguard to our Cap One 360 checking account and had intentions of moving it to one of our two Performance Savings accounts. Reading the email and the fine print, I couldn't see that they limited me to one Performance Savings account, so I moved $50K into each of our two Performance Savings accounts. I am planning on getting the $450 bonus twice. $900.

The "app" did not stop me when I worked on the second such deposit. I had to execute both transfers by logging into my account from the special link in the email.

I'll try to report back on that October 28 date for the bonus(es).
Last edited by JohnFiscal on Fri May 08, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unstoppable

Post by unstoppable »

Summit111 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:10 pm I was in the Capital One 360 paying 1.5% until they dropped the rate to 0.5% last month...Transferred the entire balance to the Capital One Performance Savings still paying 1.5%....

Summit
Wow, thanks for sharing that. I take a pretty passive approach and had a significant balance in that account. Just checked and in fact 0.5%. I don’t recall any notice about this as that’s way lower than all the top banks. I had assumed they were staying in line. I might actually transfer it over to another bank.
Aguilar

Post by Aguilar »

tarnation wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:21 pm No, just good luck transferring money. It’s been 48+ hours and they haven’t made the little deposits to authenticate my wife’s account. Mine they won’t even call me back to help me open one.
Interesting. I've been there.

All this sounds a little like they plan to bait people in and then drop the APY by .75-1%. If they do, I suppose it's still worth doing it since you can hold it for a few months and then bail with the bonus. I guess I'll go for it, but I gotta say whenever I take the plunge on this sort of deal, something bites me in the a**.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

In my Cap One 360 MM I am still getting 1.3% for over $10K, only .5% for under $10K. I keep two open because of the 6 withdrawal limits.
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

The MM funds are no longer offered as a new account (either to new clients or existing clients to my understanding). There was a thread late last year about the new Performance Savings, which seem to be a better account all-round. I switched two accounts from MM to Performance a few months ago, discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=290838&p=4987647#p4987647

"Your Mileage May Vary"

Grasshopper wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:41 am In my Cap One 360 MM I am still getting 1.3% for over $10K, only .5% for under $10K. I keep two open because of the 6 withdrawal limits.
khram

Post by khram »

You can certainly do it, there are easier ways to make $300 though. Chase offering $300 to roll some direct deposit money into a checking account and keep it open for 6 months (and $500-600 I think if you park some money in a savings account), Wells Fargo offering $400 to roll $4k of direct deposit money through a checking account. Ally would have paid you a $300 bonus to park $30k for a few months, but you had to get in on it in March. Anyway, go ahead if you have the money sitting elsewhere, as long as the money isn't locked up for too long.
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround »

BlackcatCA wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:34 pm
e5116 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:30 pm
Okay that wasn’t clear. But my question still stands for existing customers: does any one know how to request this offer? Capital One does not offer a way to do secured email, which is most annoying as I have no time to call.
https://www.capitalone.com/score500/

The offer can exclude both existing and prior customers with savings and/or money market accounts. Below is from point 1. in the fine print if you go to the link provided above

"If you have or had an open savings and/or money market account (excluding CDs, IRA savings accounts and Kids Savings accounts) as a primary or secondary account holder with Capital One on or after January 1, 2016, you're ineligible for the bonus"
JLJL

Post by JLJL »

unstoppable wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:17 pm
Summit111 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:10 pm I was in the Capital One 360 paying 1.5% until they dropped the rate to 0.5% last month...Transferred the entire balance to the Capital One Performance Savings still paying 1.5%....

Summit
Wow, thanks for sharing that. I take a pretty passive approach and had a significant balance in that account. Just checked and in fact 0.5%. I don’t recall any notice about this as that’s way lower than all the top banks. I had assumed they were staying in line. I might actually transfer it over to another bank.
I just posted this on another thread as well. I signed up for the "new" savings account in a few minutes but once it funds I'm going to look for other options, do some bonus hunting and go to a no-penalty CD for the bulk of it I imagine. I looked back at all my emails from Capital One and none of them reference this new type of account or what was being done with rates. The more I think of it I'm pretty furious. Oh and of course no bonus to go from their crappier savings account/rate to the new account. So, yeah insult to injury especially considering all the money I've held with them. My interest being stripped and used to bonus-out and serve new depositors.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

JLJL wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:42 pm
So, yeah insult to injury especially considering all the money I've held with them. My interest being stripped and used to bonus-out and serve new depositors.
That does suck. I'm sure the rates will decrease for the new accounts too, along with everyone else. But still doesn't eliminate the fact that Cap One seems to be giving new customers a sign-on bonus at the expense of existing customers.