Lawn mower recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Kagord

Re: Lawnmower recommendation

Post by Kagord »

smitty1515 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:53 am Make sure to maintain when the season is over by running fuel reservoir dry, change plug, change oil, and check air filter. Also check blade(s) to see if they need to be sharpened.
+1, I'd add, from someone who likes to get 30-50 years out of a small engine...
1. Put a teaspoon of oil in the spark plug hole, and turn the engine over 10 times or so, to coat the piston and cylinder walls with oil
2. After siphoning gas out, and running dry, drain carb reservoir, that won't empty by running dry, some have a drain screw at the bottom, or else take the carb off, remove the reservoir to drain.
3. Drain oil at end of season, put note on it, NO OIL!, add oil at start of season
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

fishmonger wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:53 am Get a gas mower over electric every time, unless your yard is real small (like tenth of an acre). And if it's that small, you could probably get away with a push reel mower.

I got a Simplicity Broadmoor riding mower 4 years ago (have about an acre, with some hills/terrain). Not cheap, so I decided to at least learn how to do some basic maintenance. It's much easier than you think to sharpen blades, change the oil/air filter/fuel filter, charge and clean the battery, etc. I am not mechanically inclined but I found that I enjoy tinkering with it quite a bit.

Also, don't focus so much on the brand as much as the motor. Briggs and Stratton are solid, while still being affordable
You should check out the YouTube reviews of the new battery mowers. Specifically the Ego and Ryobi models. Battery has come a long way.
Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 »

We have a Greenworks electric 2 bladed, 2 battery mower. Starting its 5th summer.

Our yard is 95 by 160 so approx 15k sq ft. House and garage footprint is roughly 1500 sq ft. Double that just to provide some wiggle room on the math. We mow approx 10,000 sq ft. Because of the dampish climate, we mow 2 times per week, as it grows quickly in its short growing season. When it hits a thicker spot, the motor picks up a notch.

There is absolutely no issue with lack of power, lack of battery storage or poor mowing. We will never again purchase a gas mower.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Small Savanna wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:57 pm I'm a convert to electric. We have a Ryobi with a 5 Amp-hr battery and I can get two mowings on a charge, but if I had a big lawn I'd just get an extra battery. We also have a Ryobi leaf blower and hedge trimmer that use the same form-factor battery. No need to keep highly flammable liquids in the house, no trips to the gas station to fill the can, no spark plugs or anything else to fix, no issues starting it up in the spring. Also, it's quiet, so you'll save money on hearing aids when you get old.
Thats the 40V Ryobi, correct? I have it as well and like it. Comes in self propelled as well as push style. And the battery works with other Ryobi tools like weed whackers, brush cutter, blowers as well. The battery also fits a Ryobi inverter which allows charging phones, running laptops, LED lights, etc where there is no power for short duration. (That inverter comes in an 18V version as well which fits the 18V tools Ryobi sells.)
Small Savanna

Post by Small Savanna »

pshonore wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:32 am
Small Savanna wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:57 pm I'm a convert to electric. We have a Ryobi with a 5 Amp-hr battery and I can get two mowings on a charge, but if I had a big lawn I'd just get an extra battery. We also have a Ryobi leaf blower and hedge trimmer that use the same form-factor battery. No need to keep highly flammable liquids in the house, no trips to the gas station to fill the can, no spark plugs or anything else to fix, no issues starting it up in the spring. Also, it's quiet, so you'll save money on hearing aids when you get old.
Thats the 40V Ryobi, correct? I have it as well and like it. Comes in self propelled as well as push style. And the battery works with other Ryobi tools like weed whackers, brush cutter, blowers as well. The battery also fits a Ryobi inverter which allows charging phones, running laptops, LED lights, etc where there is no power for short duration. (That inverter comes in an 18V version as well which fits the 18V tools Ryobi sells.)
Yes, the 40V model. Bought it in 2018, and so far very happy with it. I didn't know about using it with an inverter, but I'll check into that, since we get a power outage almost every time the wind blows.
Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 »

I've had good luck with various brands of mowers sold at both Home Depot as well as Lowes. Some say Briggs and Stratton engines are junk now but I've had excellent luck with them and my most recent purchase was three years ago. Hard to recommend just one brand of mower; they're all very similar. But maybe more important than the choice of mowers is the choice of fuel. If you buy a gas-powered mower, never put gas containing ethanol in it. NEVER. Find a gas station in your area (Google "non-ethanol gas near me"). You'll pay more for it but your mower will love it. My other recommendation is, at the end of each mowing year, run all the gas in the gas tank out so you'll go through the winter (off-season) with an empty tank and the next spring, buy new gas. Change the oil, check the spark plug, keep your blade sharp and you'll probably be a happy camper. It works for me.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

I just evaluated Ego and Toro battery mowers this past weekend as well as considered gas. My pick is for Toro. Acme Tools is currently selling the Toro with a 6AH battery cheaper than HD.

Consumer report did a comparison of battery mowers. Top mowers are Ego and Toro. Toro mows lawn more even than Ego (including the new Select Cut) but Ego last longer per charge and recharges quicker. This reflects my observations this past weekend as well. Ego left uneven patches everywhere but Toro battery didn't last as long and took 4 hours to recharge vs. around 60 min Ego recharge.

Ego comes with a 5 year warranty vs. Toro 2 warranty on the mower. Both have 3 year warranty on batteries.

Toro is steel deck and has a hose washout port.

This video is a comparison of both.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_anBbKS_01A

If you want a battery mower than actually mows grass better, then Toro is it but you just have to either mow the lawn over multiple sessions or get another battery.

I expect the long term cost of ownership for battery will be higher than gas due to battery replacement cost but you do get advantages of not having to deal with gas. I suspect the business model for these battery ecosystems is the margin is in the battery much like ink to inkjet printers.
bartl007

Post by bartl007 »

My recommendation would be to think about how much your time is worth...

https://youtu.be/1kP1Drt1rSY

Robotic lawnmowers are here to stay

Total game changer unless you have a very steep yard or an overly large yard (>1/2 acre)

Setup is a bit tedious, but once you set it, you forget it.

I'm mowing my yard as I type this...

You will need a trimmer/edger to clean up the small areas it misses about once a month, but that's about it. Truly life changing
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

fishmonger wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:53 am Get a gas mower over electric every time, unless your yard is real small (like tenth of an acre). And if it's that small, you could probably get away with a push reel mower.

This is outdated. Electric mowers now do anything a normal homeowner would want. No oil changes, no gas to store, and quiet. I mow 1/2 acre with my Ryobi 40v electric (self propelled). Takes two 5ah batteries, but the second fits in an included compartment- I simply swap when I go from back to front yard- takes 5 seconds. I would never go back to gas.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Nummerkins wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:52 am The single, largest change i made was using ethanol free gas. It made a huge difference. Lawn mowers, snow blowers, anything starts the first time even after storage.

Find it here: https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp
Cool site. Unfortunately, driving an hour each way to buy gas makes this even more expensive than buying TrueFuel in cans. The closest station to me is 34 miles away on all back roads, or 47 miles away on mostly highway.
Balefire

Post by Balefire »

jjface wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:34 pm Don't go too cheap. Ego mowers last. I used to churn through greenworks/black and decker etc cheap models.
What's wrong with greenworks? My 16" 40V greenworks cordless mower has been pretty flawless over the past 7 years. Ego mowers seem a little overpriced for what you get...
beastykato wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:16 pm I wouldn't buy an electric mower unless you have a very small yard. They are pretty weak overall compared to their gas counterparts.

If you run one side-by-side against a gas mower you can tell the difference and they also didn't come in very wide sizes last time I looked. Are they 19-20" I think? Some people in this thread seem to have them so they can confirm the deck size.
I just purchased a new 25" greenworks 60V with two batteries since my new yard is considerably larger. I think some of those cons for cordless electric are no longer always true.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

Balefire wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:50 pm
jjface wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:34 pm Don't go too cheap. Ego mowers last. I used to churn through greenworks/black and decker etc cheap models.
What's wrong with greenworks? My 16" 40V greenworks cordless mower has been pretty flawless over the past 7 years. Ego mowers seem a little overpriced for what you get...
Maybe I am more rough with mine but they kept breaking with me. I have slopes and uneven ground etc. Or maybe my yard is too big for the ones I bought. My ego has been solid. Also the battery charging is faster, lasts longer and is generally much easier with the ego. It feels much more powerful. There are higher end greenworks models which are probably decent. But the lower end ones never worked for me. I guess if you have a smallish ish yard that is fairly flat you'll be fine. I am also lazy with maintenance so there is that. I am sure if you are diligent you can get plenty of life out if anything.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Normchad wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:45 pm
prd1982 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:40 pm
Normchad wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:08 pm The conventional lawn mower pollutes as much in an hour as 40 late model cars for an hour. Source: EPA statistics for Replacing Gas Power Lawn Mowers
I agree that replacing gas-powered lawn equipment with battery-powered ones reduces emissions. This is esp. true for 2-cycle engines (e.g., leaf blowers, trimmers). But I also think the above statement is out of date. As far as I can determine, this statement stemmed from a 1996 study. A lot has changed for both autos and 4-cycle lawn equipment. Do you have any comparisons within the last couple of years?
That’s a very good point. I do not have recent information. I do know that more stringent emission standards were put in effect for lawnmowers several years ago. I do not know if the statements above account for those improvements or not.
If it was 1996, then several significant emissions regulations for cars were in place by then, where as mowers and other small engine equipment did not start to be regulated until that year, and 3 successive phases of small engine regulations have been enacted in the meantime.

Understandably, the priority was controlling the emissions from the 400+ gallons of fuel the average gasoline powered car consumes each year rather than the 2-3 gallons a typical mower might consume.

A 2011 EPA study on lawn care emissions in the US covered both residential and commercial equipment. Its estimates work out to 0.4% of US CO2 emissions, for example.

Some of the others are much higher percentages. Nitrogen oxides are probably the most significant example, at 9%, as those are almost completely eliminated by catalytic converters in cars, while they're largely uncontrolled in small engines. However, the US met its target for nitrogen oxide levels in at least 90% of areas almost 20 years ago, and has continued to improve air quality such that even the 90th percentile areas are now 40% below the target.

In summary, sure there are probably some savings of both CO2 and pollutant emissions from electric mowers, even considering components that often raise concerns like the batteries. That makes it a factor to consider, but I would not give that benefit the same weight as I would when considering a car purchase.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

jjface wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:09 pm I am also lazy with maintenance so there is that. I am sure if you are diligent you can get plenty of life out if anything.
What maintenance are you skipping? One of the anticipated benefits of electric mowers is that maintenance is supposed to consist only of sharpening/replacing blades, and replacing batteries when needed (I'd expect 5-10 year intervals).

If you had issues with multiple Black and Decker or entry level Greenworks electric mowers in the relatively short time they've been on the market, I'm not very inclined to excuse it as a maintenance problem.

Heck, even some gasoline powered mowers are pretty tolerant of neglect. I will definitely pay a premium for Honda engines based on my experience with them, but that's because I want 20+ years of use out of my mower. When I was renting a house, the landlord gave us the entry level Murray with the cheapest engine Briggs & Stratton makes on it that he had used throughout high school mowing lawns all over his neighborhood. It was already badly beat up when I first saw it, and for the 4 years I lived in that house, it never had any maintenance at all, nor any issue.
William Million

Post by William Million »

Push reel mower totally changed my mowing experience. Quiet, no fuel, no electricity. If you don't need a ride-on, you don't need a gas/electric mower.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments ... lsrc=aw.ds
bovineplane

Post by bovineplane »

Electric. I have a small yard. My 40v is a bit underpowered but for my small yard, maybe 2k sq feet, I wouldn't go back to gas unless I had a much larger yard. My electric is quiet, always starts, doesn't smell up my garage, requires near zero maintenance. If I could do it again I might consider a larger 56v or 80v but this was a gift from the wife.

The other benefit is storage. Couple wall hooks and I can hang this on the wall out of the way.

I don't need self propelled. This weighs much less as a similar gas mower. Super light. Plus my yard is level.

Battery works for my weed eater and hedge clippers.

My last gas mower did last 20 years and still ran when I upgraded. Not sure why yours only lasted a year.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Lawn mower recommendation

Post by LadyGeek »

This old thread was helpful, as I just purchased a new lawn mower. (I fixed the spelling in the thread title.)

Yesterday, my 10-year old 21" Honda gas powered mower started making a metallic sounding engine noise. My gut said "valves are shot". It's time for a replacement.

The Home Despot website reviews suggest their stock is hit-or-miss getting something that actually works when you take it home. Last week, my neighbor was complaining that the mower he just purchased from them was missing a wheel.

I decided to go to my local lawn equipment store. It's a family-run business that's been around a very long time. Everything they sell is under warranty and serviced on-site.

I ended up with a Toro 22" Recycler for $349 + tax. I can mulch, side discharge, or bag the clippings. For me, I'll just mulch. I didn't need the self-propelling feature, but that's all they had in stock. COVID-19 has limited what they can get. It's also end-of-season for mowing.

They set it up in the store and went over the features with me. A few pointers from the mechanic who's done this a very long time -

- The mower has a water hose connection at the top of the deck. If you want to clean the mower, use a garden hose.

- Cleaning alternative: Never turn the mower on its side. Depending on the side, oil will flow into the injectors and will make it difficult to start. Or, oil will get into the air filter. If you want to clean the underside, lift it from the front only. (He said that all new mowers are built this way.)

- Always use fuel stabilizer. Don't keep gas for more than 30 days. Use the leftover gas in your car.

- Always run the tank dry at the end of the season and leave the cap off. Carburetors have a lot of plastic parts and the injectors will get clogged. You want to leave the cap off to ensure the tank and lines will dry out. If you're worried about mice getting into the tank, just put a loose covering on it.

- Don't store the mower outside under a tarp, as moisture will get into the mower from the ground underneath. Store it on a dry floor, like a garage or shed.

- Why do you need a side discharge? When the grass is high, there's not enough air space under the deck to mulch the grass. Discharging it out the side will ensure you get the proper air circulation under the deck. (I asked this question.)

========================
Since I purchased my mower from them, they offered to recycle my old mower. I would have done that, but I wanted to try my "sure fire" disposal method first.

If you have anything that you need to get rid of that is not a safety hazard, just put it by the curb with a "free" sign on it. Gone in under an hour.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

LadyGeek - I have a very similar Toro Recycler model, next step up I think. Also bought it at a local lawn equipment store where I get all such equipment and where I have it serviced each year. At 83 I'm too old to do that service stuff myself. My mower is about ten years old and still works very well. All the points you mention very valid and I did not know about not tilting it to the side so thank you. I use mine extensively in November and December mulching all the leaves falling from numerous trees. There are so many that once in a while I have to blow them out into the street and then mulch them there and bag them. Neighbor takes them off my hands (sometimes the leaf-thief gets them at night!).

Edited to add: My local shop recommends using pure gasoline which is available as marine gas at my local Shell station that does not contain ethanol. Some Pure gas stations also sell this type of gas in addition to the regular gas available.
Last edited by tomd37 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom D.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You're welcome. Another point from the store - Mowing dry leaves creates a lot of dust, so check your air filter. These guys are experts and I was very glad they were still around.

They sell snowblowers in the winter. I purchased one from that store in 2016. It hasn't gotten a lot of use recently, but I know who to call if I have a problem.

I should also mention that I purchased a bottle of fuel stabilizer. Everyone in the store was adamant about that and explained why (ethanol is a big problem).

There's a 100% manufacturer's rebate of the stabilizer with a "qualifying" equipment purchase. I qualify, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of receiving spam mail in exchange for a $10 purchase. They promised a check will be mailed to me in 10 weeks. I'm thinking about it. Maybe not.

Update: Added fuel stabilizer and rebate offer.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I have a large lot with a large field. I have a self propelled Toro which I paid about $350 three years ago. It starts all the time. I do use it in the winter about every three weeks just to keep things moving.

If you are tall, make sure the handle's height adjustment is to your liking. Even with a self propelled mower, being bent over can cause issues.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I bought a Toro Super Recycler this spring and it’s been great so far. I think you will be very happy with the cut (if you haven’t cut yet).
oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard »

Still loving my Ego self propelled battery mower. Almost 3 summers now, with not one issue. Love how quiet it is. I can mow at 7:00 A.M. and not disturb the neighbors. Grass wet? It doesn't matter. Never another gas mower for me.

Greg in West Mitten
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

not enough info..how many acres?
prairieman

Post by prairieman »

“Never tilt on its side” only applies to gas mowers. With my ego electric, I fold the mower up and tip it on its end. This advantage alone makes electric worthwhile. I can use a brush to clean the grass out from the blade area. I can then store it tipped up on its end - taking up very little space in the garage. With no gas can needed, I gave that away with the old mower, along with the oil changing stuff. Seriously, I believe the new battery technologies will make gas mowers a thing of the past.
Scooter17

Post by Scooter17 »

Toro.
vshun

Post by vshun »

Personal choice of course, like car oil/filter topic. For me I got sick of dealing with noise maintenance and other issues of gas mowers and finally invested in decent electric one, 80V cobalt Lower with 6a battery. I can still hear it as its not whisper quiet but nothing compared to gas mower. No need to deal with pulling string 15 times to start it especially in spring, or old gas and oil.
My teenage son can almost complete 3 yards (mine and 2 neighbors) on one charge, all being about 1/4 acre lots on single original battery, He is very happy we put gas Honda in storage and does not want to use it once we got new electric mower.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

theplayer11 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:51 pm not enough info..how many acres?
For me, a bit less than 1/2 acre. My new mower is replacing a 21" Honda gas mower, so I knew anything in the 21" / 22" range would be OK.

Also, it's on a somewhat level surface. There's some local ground heaving, though. Also, a few ruts due to car traffic.

My local store said that mowers rated for hills are because of the lawyers.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

vshun wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:29 pm Personal choice of course, like car oil/filter topic. For me I got sick of dealing with noise maintenance and other issues of gas mowers and finally invested in decent electric one, 80V cobalt Lower with 6a battery. I can still hear it as its not whisper quiet but nothing compared to gas mower. No need to deal with pulling string 15 times to start it especially in spring, or old gas and oil.
My teenage son can almost complete 3 yards (mine and 2 neighbors) on one charge, all being about 1/4 acre lots on single original battery, He is very happy we put gas Honda in storage and does not want to use it once we got new electric mower.
That’s terrific info. I’ll definitely check it out next time I’m shopping for a mower.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

I got rid of my lawn service as I am retired now. I was concerned about a cordless lawn mower but a friend recommended an EGO. I love it. I also have an EGO leaf blower and Edger as well as snow blower. The snow blower is quite powerful but jams up if the snow is compacted. I find the EGO Edger a little heavy so I also bought a Black and Decker Edger. I can usually mow both my front and back lawns using only one battery.

I am reseeding my lawns and we had heavy rain that washed away some soil and seeds. I reseeded some areas three times and needed a light lawn mower to cut the areas where the grass was getting really long. I considered a reel mower but I needed to bag the clippings. I bought the MJ402E Mow Joe 16-Inch 12-Amp Electric Lawn Mower + Mulcher on Amazon for about $150. It can mow up to a height of about 3.5 inches, is light and has a bag. I tried it today and it worked perfectly. I was able to mow the high areas and avoid the areas I have reseeded. It is a bit of a toy if one has a large lawn but it was perfect for what I needed.

As a matter of terminology, I usually think of the EGO as a cordless or battery-operated mower. To me the Snow Joe is an electric mower as I have a cable going from it to the electric outlet.
badbreath

Post by badbreath »

I have switched over to the EGO electric Lawn tools. I am done with the gas or gas oil mix and all the maintenance needed at the end of the season.
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:38 pm - Always use fuel stabilizer. Don't keep gas for more than 30 days. Use the leftover gas in your car.
If you have anything that you need to get rid of that is not a safety hazard, just put it by the curb with a "free" sign on it. Gone in under an hour.
These days it might take you a year to use it in your car. I just bought gas for my car for the first time in six months.

I don't think a tube TV is a safety hazard, but it's an environmental hazard and the grass under one will die from lack of light before anybody picks it up from the curb. I'm just procrastinating getting rid of my last one due to the $25 fee.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Do you have the 18v or 40v Ryobi? And if you were to do it again, would you get the same one?
captpete

Post by captpete »

FI4LIFE wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:06 am Either buy a cheap, used mower from Craigslist or spend some money and get an EGO battery powered. I love mine for several reasons. It's quiet, light, folds up and takes up little space in the garage, I don't stink after mowing, never have to fill a gas can etc. Worth the money. I hate maintaining mechanical equipment.
I have been seriously considering ego products to replace all my lawn care equipment. We have close to an acre or grass to cut but often do not cut the whole thing in one day. It takes me about 1 hour to 1:15 to push mow with our husqvarna 22’ mower. We have one 12’ wide 30’ long steep hill.

One concern I have is sticks and small branches that fall in the yard that I can currently run over with my gas powered “mulcher/mower”.

Do you think the build quality/durability of the ego is equal to a gas powered mower?

Does anyone have experience with their other products, chainsaw, hedge trimmer or weed eater?

Thanks
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

captpete wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:19 am
FI4LIFE wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:06 am Either buy a cheap, used mower from Craigslist or spend some money and get an EGO battery powered. I love mine for several reasons. It's quiet, light, folds up and takes up little space in the garage, I don't stink after mowing, never have to fill a gas can etc. Worth the money. I hate maintaining mechanical equipment.
I have been seriously considering ego products to replace all my lawn care equipment. We have close to an acre or grass to cut but often do not cut the whole thing in one day. It takes me about 1 hour to 1:15 to push mow with our husqvarna 22’ mower. We have one 12’ wide 30’ long steep hill.

One concern I have is sticks and small branches that fall in the yard that I can currently run over with my gas powered “mulcher/mower”.

Do you think the build quality/durability of the ego is equal to a gas powered mower?

Does anyone have experience with their other products, chainsaw, hedge trimmer or weed eater?

Thanks
I can't speak to the Ego, but my Ryobi electric mower has no problem with sticks and small branches in the yard. I don't think overall quality is any different. It's so much nicer not having to deal with fuel, oil, or staring issues. Just press the button and go.
Old Sage(brush)

Post by Old Sage(brush) »

I've had electric mower for 10 years or so and love it. No maintenance, quiet, starts so easy and better for environment. Gas mowers produce and outsized amount of pollution. Go electric.
White Oak

Post by White Oak »

captpete wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:19 am I have been seriously considering ego products to replace all my lawn care equipment. We have close to an acre or grass to cut but often do not cut the whole thing in one day. It takes me about 1 hour to 1:15 to push mow with our husqvarna 22’ mower. We have one 12’ wide 30’ long steep hill.

Thanks
I have several EGO tools, including the lawn mower. For light, homeowner duty, I think they are great. If you want to treat them roughly, you might still be better off with gas tools.

Despite the claims, they don't have the same power as gas. The mower blade is narrower, and the chainsaw chain kerf is narrower, for example.

At 1 acre with sticks, you are probably at or beyond the typical use case for the battery mower. If you are okay giving up some power for the convenience, then I'd say go for it. If you want to plow ahead with reckless abandon, then gas is still better.

Some people like the durability of full metal construction, but I like the light weight of plastic, and I don't worry about it rusting.

The only issue I've had with the mower was the axle for a wheel came loose, which was pretty easy to reattach with some snap rings. My dad had been using it and is a lot harder on mowers than I am.

I recently bought a second EGO mower from Craigslist that was 7 years old. The battery is still working, maybe with a slight reduction in capacity. The mower wasn't working, but I opened it up and repositioned one of the safety switches inside, and now it is working again.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

White Oak wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:37 pm

At 1 acre with sticks, you are probably at or beyond the typical use case for the battery mower. If you are okay giving up some power for the convenience, then I'd say go for it. If you want to plow ahead with reckless abandon, then gas is still better.
I think the main thing is battery capacity. I have three 4ah batteries for my half acre (the mower can fit one + a spare, and I swap to the third when I switch from back to front yard). That's not really a problem for me, but you'd need 4-5 for a full acre- which would likely get annoying. I think there are battery powered mowers that will do that for you, but you are getting to the size when a ride-on mower starts making sense. They do have electric ride-on mowers that will do an acre (obviously a lot more $$$ than a push).
White Oak

Post by White Oak »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:55 pm
I think the main thing is battery capacity. I have three 4ah batteries for my half acre (the mower can fit one + a spare, and I swap to the third when I switch from back to front yard). That's not really a problem for me, but you'd need 4-5 for a full acre- which would likely get annoying. I think there are battery powered mowers that will do that for you, but you are getting to the size when a ride-on mower starts making sense. They do have electric ride-on mowers that will do an acre (obviously a lot more $$$ than a push).
Yeah, that is a good point. Although with two or three batteries, you can be charging one while you are using the other.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:29 pm I have a large lot with a large field. I have a self propelled Toro which I paid about $350 three years ago. It starts all the time. I do use it in the winter about every three weeks just to keep things moving.

If you are tall, make sure the handle's height adjustment is to your liking. Even with a self propelled mower, being bent over can cause issues.
My mower handle isn't height-adjustable at all and that's very annoying, so definitely look for that feature.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Thegame14 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:16 pm Wife paid some guy she found on facebook $125 to fix it. He said some part he couldnt get so he did something to by-pass the choke and showed us how to do it. I mowed the lawn and had about 5% left to go and there was a loud boom and a spark shot out the side of the mower. Contacted the guy and he will refund the money...
Wow amazing customer service from your Facebook guy, hope you gave him a good review. Seems likely or at least possible that the failure had nothing to do with him.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:00 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:38 pm - Always use fuel stabilizer. Don't keep gas for more than 30 days. Use the leftover gas in your car.
These days it might take you a year to use it in your car. I just bought gas for my car for the first time in six months.

I don't think a tube TV is a safety hazard, but it's an environmental hazard and the grass under one will die from lack of light before anybody picks it up from the curb. I'm just procrastinating getting rid of my last one due to the $25 fee.
That's a good point about the car.

It's tough getting rid of an item that nobody can use. Tube TVs are indeed environmental hazards and can be recycled at Best Buy for $25. This is the amount you've stated, but I wanted to mention Best Buy in case you had another place in mind.

While I was thinking about it, I also put the fuel stabilizer in my generator gas. I've never had a starting problem before, but I don't want to push my luck.
Small Savanna

Post by Small Savanna »

Saving$ wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:27 am
Do you have the 18v or 40v Ryobi? And if you were to do it again, would you get the same one?
We have the 40V; I don't know if it is better than the 18v, but yes I'd get the same one.