U.S. stocks in free fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
TNOA
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 6:08 am

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by TNOA »

whodidntante wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:03 pm GLDM is pretty low-cost.
GLDM, despite being low(er) cost, seems too illiquid to my liking. On a cost-reward ratio, I do prefer IAU.
bigbadbuff
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:35 am

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by bigbadbuff »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:35 pm
CULater wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:48 pm Now that both hydroxychloroquine and Remdesivir are coming up empty as treatments we should have a clear path downward for stocks, at least until the next quick fix appears on the scene.
I doubt that that alone will be enough to send stocks downward. There's still too much hope that all of this will blow over in a month or two, including corporate earnings recovering, unemployment returning to January's levels, etc.
I don't even know what to say to folks who really think this. For that to happen, you would have to use the Men In Black memory eraser on the whole globe, i.e. convince everyone everywhere they can go back to Feb. 2020 life with not a care. Will some business re-open and things marginally improve in the next few weeks/months, sure, I do believe that. But, the following are realistic possibilities until a vaccine or home run therapeutic comes along:

- the 'staged' re-opening means many business could remain shuttered for months to come in some parts of the country
- the US as a whole is no where close to being ready to do the things necessary to identify/contact trace/quarantine. States are literally opening and hoping nothing happens- the resources to implement logical containment plans are not in place anywhere yet, AFAIK. This will likely be the case in a few months, but until then...
- tourism will be severely depressed for 12-18 months. People are just not going to en masse get on planes/go to crowded places anymore for a long, long time.
- consumer spending will remain extremely low for fear of exposure/a 2nd wave/additional shutdowns/more layoffs. The psychological impact is not yet being felt, if you use the 5 stages of grief analogy we are still in the denial/anger phase.
- many small businesses that have closed will never re-open, those that do, dependent on industry will see profit margins become much thinner
- best of breed in most industries are well positioned to gobble up competitors and market share in the coming years- those who are not are in deep trouble.

[political comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 21422
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by willthrill81 »

bigbadbuff wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:27 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:35 pm
CULater wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:48 pm Now that both hydroxychloroquine and Remdesivir are coming up empty as treatments we should have a clear path downward for stocks, at least until the next quick fix appears on the scene.
I doubt that that alone will be enough to send stocks downward. There's still too much hope that all of this will blow over in a month or two, including corporate earnings recovering, unemployment returning to January's levels, etc.
I don't even know what to say to folks who really think this. For that to happen, you would have to use the Men In Black memory eraser on the whole globe, i.e. convince everyone everywhere they can go back to Feb. 2020 life with not a care. Will some business re-open and things marginally improve in the next few weeks/months, sure, I do believe that. But, the following are realistic possibilities until a vaccine or home run therapeutic comes along:

- the 'staged' re-opening means many business could remain shuttered for months to come in some parts of the country
- the US as a whole is no where close to being ready to do the things necessary to identify/contact trace/quarantine. States are literally opening and hoping nothing happens- the resources to implement logical containment plans are not in place anywhere yet, AFAIK. This will likely be the case in a few months, but until then...
- tourism will be severely depressed for 12-18 months. People are just not going to en masse get on planes/go to crowded places anymore for a long, long time.
- consumer spending will remain extremely low for fear of exposure/a 2nd wave/additional shutdowns/more layoffs. The psychological impact is not yet being felt, if you use the 5 stages of grief analogy we are still in the denial/anger phase.
- many small businesses that have closed will never re-open, those that do, dependent on industry will see profit margins become much thinner
- best of breed in most industries are well positioned to gobble up competitors and market share in the coming years- those who are not are in deep trouble.

[political comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
In several threads, it's evident that many believe that cheap debt a la the Fed will somehow save the day.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
TNOA
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 6:08 am

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by TNOA »

bigbadbuff wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:27 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:35 pm
CULater wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:48 pm Now that both hydroxychloroquine and Remdesivir are coming up empty as treatments we should have a clear path downward for stocks, at least until the next quick fix appears on the scene.
I doubt that that alone will be enough to send stocks downward. There's still too much hope that all of this will blow over in a month or two, including corporate earnings recovering, unemployment returning to January's levels, etc.
I don't even know what to say to folks who really think this. For that to happen, you would have to use the Men In Black memory eraser on the whole globe, i.e. convince everyone everywhere they can go back to Feb. 2020 life with not a care. Will some business re-open and things marginally improve in the next few weeks/months, sure, I do believe that. But, the following are realistic possibilities until a vaccine or home run therapeutic comes along:

- the 'staged' re-opening means many business could remain shuttered for months to come in some parts of the country
- the US as a whole is no where close to being ready to do the things necessary to identify/contact trace/quarantine. States are literally opening and hoping nothing happens- the resources to implement logical containment plans are not in place anywhere yet, AFAIK. This will likely be the case in a few months, but until then...
- tourism will be severely depressed for 12-18 months. People are just not going to en masse get on planes/go to crowded places anymore for a long, long time.
- consumer spending will remain extremely low for fear of exposure/a 2nd wave/additional shutdowns/more layoffs. The psychological impact is not yet being felt, if you use the 5 stages of grief analogy we are still in the denial/anger phase.
- many small businesses that have closed will never re-open, those that do, dependent on industry will see profit margins become much thinner
- best of breed in most industries are well positioned to gobble up competitors and market share in the coming years- those who are not are in deep trouble.

[political comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
Well, I am treading carefully here as I do want to stay out of politics. However, an observation that I have is this: initially before widespread data has been made available, authorities (TPTB = the powers to be) resorted to measures as the unknown was bigger. More and more today medical professionals from all over the country are making "data" from their own practices available. As data will become available, the extent of this pandemic will be better known. There are more and more critical voices from those medical professionals to the lockdown, based on data they started showing everywhere, which was not available in the earlier days (6-10 weeks ago). A simple YouTube search will provide many of those credible clips from tjhe horse's mouth. If they are true, I am guessing realistic possibility you mention that people will wait out until a vaccine becomes available may after all not be that realistic. We will all see, I guess. But even here, on this topic, I would recite the great Mr. Bogle: "- Nobody Knows Nothing". Except, in this case, the longer it lingers, the more the data we collect in the hands of reliable "on-the-ground" fighters.
nerdymarketer
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:18 pm

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by nerdymarketer »

willthrill81 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:31 pm In several threads, it's evident that many believe that cheap debt a la the Fed will somehow save the day.
Or that the Fed's actions will result in inflation (at least in assets) such that even though everything loses money in real terms, it's better to be in stock than in cash because cash will get absolutely hammered.
Leesbro63
Posts: 6810
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Leesbro63 »

TNOA wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:41 pm
bigbadbuff wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:27 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:35 pm
CULater wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:48 pm Now that both hydroxychloroquine and Remdesivir are coming up empty as treatments we should have a clear path downward for stocks, at least until the next quick fix appears on the scene.
I doubt that that alone will be enough to send stocks downward. There's still too much hope that all of this will blow over in a month or two, including corporate earnings recovering, unemployment returning to January's levels, etc.
I don't even know what to say to folks who really think this. For that to happen, you would have to use the Men In Black memory eraser on the whole globe, i.e. convince everyone everywhere they can go back to Feb. 2020 life with not a care. Will some business re-open and things marginally improve in the next few weeks/months, sure, I do believe that. But, the following are realistic possibilities until a vaccine or home run therapeutic comes along:

- the 'staged' re-opening means many business could remain shuttered for months to come in some parts of the country
- the US as a whole is no where close to being ready to do the things necessary to identify/contact trace/quarantine. States are literally opening and hoping nothing happens- the resources to implement logical containment plans are not in place anywhere yet, AFAIK. This will likely be the case in a few months, but until then...
- tourism will be severely depressed for 12-18 months. People are just not going to en masse get on planes/go to crowded places anymore for a long, long time.
- consumer spending will remain extremely low for fear of exposure/a 2nd wave/additional shutdowns/more layoffs. The psychological impact is not yet being felt, if you use the 5 stages of grief analogy we are still in the denial/anger phase.
- many small businesses that have closed will never re-open, those that do, dependent on industry will see profit margins become much thinner
- best of breed in most industries are well positioned to gobble up competitors and market share in the coming years- those who are not are in deep trouble.

[political comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
Well, I am treading carefully here as I do want to stay out of politics. However, an observation that I have is this: initially before widespread data has been made available, authorities (TPTB = the powers to be) resorted to measures as the unknown was bigger. More and more today medical professionals from all over the country are making "data" from their own practices available. As data will become available, the extent of this pandemic will be better known. There are more and more critical voices from those medical professionals to the lockdown, based on data they started showing everywhere, which was not available in the earlier days (6-10 weeks ago). A simple YouTube search will provide many of those credible clips from tjhe horse's mouth. If they are true, I am guessing realistic possibility you mention that people will wait out until a vaccine becomes available may after all not be that realistic. We will all see, I guess. But even here, on this topic, I would recite the great Mr. Bogle: "- Nobody Knows Nothing". Except, in this case, the longer it lingers, the more the data we collect in the hands of reliable "on-the-ground" fighters.
Good point about the wait for a vaccine. HIV has been with us for about 40 years and still no vaccine.
User avatar
JonnyDVM
Posts: 2289
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:51 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by JonnyDVM »

Are we looking at an up or down week? I’m going to say slightly up as the second round of relief pours in and the first states start to test the reopening waters. I’ll also point out that the opposite of what I think is what tends to happen.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
RPW25
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:10 am

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by RPW25 »

JonnyDVM wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:13 am Are we looking at an up or down week? I’m going to say slightly up as the second round of relief pours in and the first states start to test the reopening waters. I’ll also point out that the opposite of what I think is what tends to happen.
I don't think anybody knows. If someone did we could make a whole lot of money.
Independent George
Posts: 1002
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:13 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Independent George »

So, now that the S&P has zoomed past the September 2019 mark (2,900), I guess I'm back to being a short-term pessimist.

Back when we were down -35%, I was incredulous because despite the clear contraction in the near term, I was skeptical that we'd see any persistent effects in the long run. Now I'm incredulous that investors seem to think that everything's gone back to normal and we'll continue right where we left off in September.

I may be falling under the Golden Mean Fallacy, but my gut feeling is that we're actually somewhere in between. We obviously had a major disruption in Q1 and Q2, and many effects will persist into Q3 and beyond, but this hardly compares to physical infrastructure being bombed into oblivion as it was following WW2. We are likely to see some long-term changes in how business is done (more tele-working at the corporate level, diversification of supply infrastructure away from China, de-centralization of economic centers), and that will have significant costs in the near term, but will be smoothed out over the long term.

Oh well. My IPS has me at 90/10, so I guess I'll be rebalancing quite a few times in both directions in the coming months. The market timing threads should be interesting, at least.
Lee_WSP
Posts: 3439
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:15 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Lee_WSP »

I think that wealthy people just aren't all that affected by the economic freeze and their money really has nowhere else to go.
H-Town
Posts: 2915
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by H-Town »

Do we pop champagne when S&P 500 index crosses 3000?

Opps. Wrong thread. :mrgreen:
User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 22151
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by abuss368 »

Watching CNBC this morning with premarket up about 200 points. As Becky Quick discusses Gilead's announcement, premarket shot up over 400 points.

Incredible.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 67256
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by LadyGeek »

Several posts discussing coronavirus treatment outcomes have been removed. See: Please read before posting on coronavirus/COVID-19

The main intent of the post must be on-topic, which is US stocks in free fall.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
User avatar
JonnyDVM
Posts: 2289
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:51 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by JonnyDVM »

RPW25 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:35 am
JonnyDVM wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:13 am Are we looking at an up or down week? I’m going to say slightly up as the second round of relief pours in and the first states start to test the reopening waters. I’ll also point out that the opposite of what I think is what tends to happen.
I don't think anybody knows. If someone did we could make a whole lot of money.
We nailed it!
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
Rosencrantz1
Posts: 561
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:28 pm

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

JonnyDVM wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:13 am Are we looking at an up or down week? I’m going to say slightly up as the second round of relief pours in and the first states start to test the reopening waters. I’ll also point out that the opposite of what I think is what tends to happen.
For heck's sake, don't tell me that! I'm holding on to that MGM I bought for a while yet. I have a 'stop loss' at $5, though, just in case you're right about the opposite of what you think tending to happen. :beer
User avatar
JonnyDVM
Posts: 2289
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:51 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by JonnyDVM »

Rosencrantz1 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:06 pm
JonnyDVM wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:13 am Are we looking at an up or down week? I’m going to say slightly up as the second round of relief pours in and the first states start to test the reopening waters. I’ll also point out that the opposite of what I think is what tends to happen.
For heck's sake, don't tell me that! I'm holding on to that MGM I bought for a while yet. I have a 'stop loss' at $5, though, just in case you're right about the opposite of what you think tending to happen. :beer
I’m allowed to get one play money move right every now and again. We’re definitely looking good so far with that one. :sharebeer

The way things have been moving lately this thread may be quiet for a while. If true I’ll miss the witty banter and wildly inaccurate speculation.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 5869
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Stinky »

JonnyDVM wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:14 pm The way things have been moving lately this thread may be quiet for a while. If true I’ll miss the witty banter and wildly inaccurate speculation.
There’s plenty of witty banter and wildly inaccurate speculation on the “soaring” thread, too.

Mostly by the same people. :D
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Corsair
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:57 am
Location: WA

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Corsair »

Amazon down -6.00% after hours after EPS miss and stating they'll spent the entire $4 billion operating profit on virus-related expenses ($1 billion on testing in 2020 [their employees?]). :shock:

AAPL, TSLA, MSFT all done AH.
All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.
User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 8249
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by TheTimeLord »

Corsair wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:48 pm Amazon down -6.00% after hours after EPS miss and stating they'll spent the entire $4 billion operating profit on virus-related expenses ($1 billion on testing in 2020 [their employees?]). :shock:

AAPL, TSLA, MSFT all done AH.
When the market peaked on Feb 19, Amazon closed @ $2,170.22. Today in after hours trading it is @ $2,350.01. Oh the humanity.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
7eight9
Posts: 1545
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by 7eight9 »

Now we are starting to get warmed up. A little more bad news and maybe we can get back to our regularly scheduled market crash.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
User avatar
gwe67
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:52 pm

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by gwe67 »

OP hasn't posted in this thread in 8 years and 7 days. Thread should be locked just as you did with the hidden safe post:

"Topic is locked - nothing new from the OP in over a month. OP, if/when you want to post an update, send a PM to a moderator and we'll unlock it."
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads
Silk McCue
Posts: 4826
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Silk McCue »

gwe67 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:50 pm OP hasn't posted in this thread in 8 years and 7 days. Thread should be locked just as you did with the hidden safe post:

"Topic is locked - nothing new from the OP in over a month. OP, if/when you want to post an update, send a PM to a moderator and we'll unlock it."
These market threads are established by the moderators as I expect you know so that we have place to post on rising and falling markets without new threads being opened all the time. If you disagree with that, don’t complain here, message them directly.

Cheers
User avatar
HomerJ
Posts: 15348
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by HomerJ »

gwe67 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:50 pm OP hasn't posted in this thread in 8 years and 7 days. Thread should be locked just as you did with the hidden safe post:

"Topic is locked - nothing new from the OP in over a month. OP, if/when you want to post an update, send a PM to a moderator and we'll unlock it."
The best thing about this thread to look back at the history of very smart people making predictions, and most being wrong.

Nobody knows enough.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 5869
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Stinky »

HomerJ wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:06 pm
The best thing about this thread to look back at the history of very smart people (and a lot of people who THINK they are smart) making predictions, and most being wrong.
Edited your comment. :happy
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Independent George
Posts: 1002
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:13 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Independent George »

Stinky wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:30 pm
HomerJ wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:06 pm
The best thing about this thread to look back at the history of very smart people (and a lot of people who THINK they are smart) making predictions, and most being wrong.
Edited your comment. :happy
Hey, I resemble that.
dukeblue219
Posts: 842
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by dukeblue219 »

Silk McCue wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:58 pm
gwe67 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:50 pm OP hasn't posted in this thread in 8 years and 7 days. Thread should be locked just as you did with the hidden safe post:

"Topic is locked - nothing new from the OP in over a month. OP, if/when you want to post an update, send a PM to a moderator and we'll unlock it."
These market threads are established by the moderators as I expect you know so that we have place to post on rising and falling markets without new threads being opened all the time. If you disagree with that, don’t complain here, message them directly.

Cheers
Absolutely. It's a place to complain/cheer on those big days either way, and people who don't want to participate can easily ignore the thread since it's always the same title.
User avatar
Forester
Posts: 1613
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Forester »

Bear market rally has probably topped out, who is willing to bet May won't be a down month?
minimalistmarc
Posts: 1078
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:38 pm

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by minimalistmarc »

Forester wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:27 am Bear market rally has probably topped out, who is willing to bet May won't be a down month?

I’ll take that bet, by letting my portfolio ride it out. If I knew the market was going down I would sell and then but back in.
User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 5869
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Stinky »

Is this going to be a Free Falling Friday?
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
7eight9
Posts: 1545
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by 7eight9 »

Sell in May and go away, and come on back on St. Leger's Day.

Judging by the futures looks like selling at the end of April this year might have been even wiser.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Corsair
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:57 am
Location: WA

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Corsair »

Elon Musk just tweeted "Tesla stock price is too high imo" :mrgreen: TSLA down -7%
All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.
Gufomel
Posts: 556
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Gufomel »

Corsair wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:22 am Elon Musk just tweeted "Tesla stock price is too high imo" :mrgreen: TSLA down -7%
Wow what in the world? Is that the first time a CEO has ever publicly said their own company is valued too high? Much less through a tweet?
User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 5869
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Stinky »

Gufomel wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:27 am
Corsair wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:22 am Elon Musk just tweeted "Tesla stock price is too high imo" :mrgreen: TSLA down -7%
Wow what in the world? Is that the first time a CEO has ever publicly said their own company is valued too high? Much less through a tweet?
Think the stock would have gone up if Musk tweeted “Tesla stock price is too low”?
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
H-Town
Posts: 2915
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by H-Town »

Buckle up. We're diving.
User avatar
Forester
Posts: 1613
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Forester »

Now we're down vs last Friday's close; good news for accumulators #SPX1800
User avatar
Stef
Posts: 1163
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:13 am

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Stef »

Isn't this market manipulation? Is he high?
User avatar
canadianbacon
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:04 pm

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by canadianbacon »

Stef wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:55 am Isn't this market manipulation? Is he high?
Isn’t he always?
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.
nigel_ht
Posts: 1369
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:14 am

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by nigel_ht »

Gufomel wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:27 am
Corsair wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:22 am Elon Musk just tweeted "Tesla stock price is too high imo" :mrgreen: TSLA down -7%
Wow what in the world? Is that the first time a CEO has ever publicly said their own company is valued too high? Much less through a tweet?
Well that's two tweets with negative stock impacts today.

Waiting for the Fed to tweet "Dang, we low on money and treasury ran out of ink because it's sourced from China"
7eight9
Posts: 1545
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by 7eight9 »

Stinky wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:44 am
Gufomel wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:27 am
Corsair wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:22 am Elon Musk just tweeted "Tesla stock price is too high imo" :mrgreen: TSLA down -7%
Wow what in the world? Is that the first time a CEO has ever publicly said their own company is valued too high? Much less through a tweet?
Think the stock would have gone up if Musk tweeted “Tesla stock price is too low”?
It would have if he tweeted something like "Am considering taking Tesla private at $xxx. Funding secured."

Oh wait. He did that once already. https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/102 ... 76?lang=en
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Corsair
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:57 am
Location: WA

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Corsair »

Musk also said he's "selling almost all physical possessions. Will own no house" and looks to be holding crypto. He owns 7 houses worth over $100m. Wonder if he's leaving the states.
All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.
User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 5869
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Stinky »

Corsair wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:07 am Musk also said he's "selling almost all physical possessions. Will own no house" and looks to be holding crypto. He owns 7 houses worth over $100m. Wonder if he's leaving the states.
Maybe leaving planet Earth?
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
minimalistmarc
Posts: 1078
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:38 pm

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by minimalistmarc »

Boring. I miss the 10% down days. When people are panicky I want to party
User avatar
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board
Posts: 30034
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:09 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Taylor Larimore »

minimalistmarc wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:19 am Boring. I miss the 10% down days. When people are panicky I want to party
minimalistmarc:

You may get your wish:

https://www.morningstar.com/

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "In my view, owning the market and holding it forever is the ultimate strategy for winners."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
minimalistmarc
Posts: 1078
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:38 pm

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by minimalistmarc »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:21 pm
minimalistmarc wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:19 am Boring. I miss the 10% down days. When people are panicky I want to party
minimalistmarc:

You may get your wish:

https://www.morningstar.com/

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "In my view, owning the market and holding it forever is the ultimate strategy for winners."
Thank you Taylor, I have benefited greatly from your posts and will be teaching the same to my kids :)
RayKeynes
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:14 am

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by RayKeynes »

NIce technical play from the wallstreet guys.

Lets bring this baby bakc down to 2400. :sharebeer
User avatar
Forester
Posts: 1613
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Forester »

Stocks down, gold & gold equities up... reminiscent of Nov 2008.
Lee_WSP
Posts: 3439
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:15 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Lee_WSP »

What other bad news are we expecting to hear now that earnings are finally out?
H-Town
Posts: 2915
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by H-Town »

Lee_WSP wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:48 pm What other bad news are we expecting to hear now that earnings are finally out?
Really terrible, horrible, no good, second wave of infection that would overrun hospitals all over the world. This would set the economy back for another 3-5 years. The market won't have that. S&P 500 would go back to 1000 level.
7eight9
Posts: 1545
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by 7eight9 »

Lee_WSP wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:48 pm What other bad news are we expecting to hear now that earnings are finally out?
I'm thinking a second big wave of social distancing in the fall (or earlier) might just demoralize the Buy The Dip / FOMO crowd and we could see some real capitulation. Maybe we could even get to a Level Two Halt if enough throw in the proverbial towel.

Expert report predicts up to two more years of pandemic misery
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/30/health/r ... index.html
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
User avatar
Forester
Posts: 1613
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Forester »

Lee_WSP wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:48 pm What other bad news are we expecting to hear now that earnings are finally out?
Assuming oil prices stay suppressed, 10 million US oil industry workers will need support one way or another because (1) there's no storage (2) it's an uneconomic industry.
Post Reply