Any Luck Getting a Refund?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
OnTrack2020

Any Luck Getting a Refund?

Post by OnTrack2020 »

One of our adult children had plans to take a vacation at the end May. He had booked some additional excursions well in advance. At the time he booked these additional excursions, he paid with a bank card and money was immediately withdrawn from his bank account. Now, he is cancelling his vacation and has cancelled the excursions, but trying to get his money back is not proving to be easy. He has been unable to reach one of the places by phone. But for another one of the excursions, when he called, they basically said they can't do anything (I'm assuming they've already spent the money) and offered for him to come in the Fall sometime (which I'm assuming they may be out of business by then, who knows?). He has cancelled well ahead of time. Is there any recourse for ever getting this money back?
fabdog

Re: Any Luck Getting a Refund?

Post by fabdog »

What were the published refund/cancellation policies of the excursion vendors?

Cancelling well ahead of the event is irrelevant unless the vendor had a cancellation policy that specified refunds when cancelled by a certain date.

Many places have a no refund, some a refund less a % if cancelled within a certain window, etc

Mike
Topic Author
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

He booked two or three excursions.

The one he called and talked with had a 24-hour cancellation policy, but they tried to tell him there was nothing they could do and to push back the date of the excursion into the Fall. :annoyed This is the company I'm assuming has already spent the money.

The other one, I believe, might possibly offer a credit for another time, but he can't reach them by phone. I just had him send them an email asking to be reimbursed as he cancelled the vacation.

What is the recourse? Anything?
student

Post by student »

Debit card charge back is possible usually much more difficult. https://chargebacks911.com/debit-card-chargeback/ He needs to contact the bank.
fabdog

Post by fabdog »

Well, if he met the refund policy and they won't refund... he can tell them he'll complain to BBB. Also leave negative reviews on Tripadvisor, Google, other platforms... that may help them find the money.

On the other one, keep reaching out... try email, twitter, etc.

Mike
yangtui

Post by yangtui »

He could try saying that he just lost his job and he needs the money to pay for food/medical care/housing etc. I would rely on pity here to get things moving. A lot of small businesses operate in a very hand to mouth way with operating/debt leverage. They might be considering the possibility that they will never reopen so will probably not care too much if you complain online or to the BBB.
delamer

Post by delamer »

Some advice for “next time” — tell him to use a credit card for significant future expenditures like the excursions. He would have the option of enlisting his credit card company to pressure the vendors about getting a refund.
BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 »

Classic lesson in why it is unwise to use a debit card, especially online.

Tell him to use credit cards for travel purchases. The best ones offer great travel perks and /or cash back if he had decent to excellent credit.

Did he call his bank? How much money is your son out?
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

OnTrack2020 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:19 pm He booked two or three excursions.

The one he called and talked with had a 24-hour cancellation policy, but they tried to tell him there was nothing they could do and to push back the date of the excursion into the Fall. :annoyed This is the company I'm assuming has already spent the money.

The other one, I believe, might possibly offer a credit for another time, but he can't reach them by phone. I just had him send them an email asking to be reimbursed as he cancelled the vacation.

Better Business Bureau. Has worked well for me in the past.

Go on every social media platform available and publicly trash the company so that future customers know to stay away.

Also, don't use a debit card ever again unless it's for taking cash out of an ATM.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

OnTrack2020 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:22 pm One of our adult children had plans to take a vacation at the end May. He had booked some additional excursions well in advance. At the time he booked these additional excursions, he paid with a bank card and money was immediately withdrawn from his bank account. Now, he is cancelling his vacation and has cancelled the excursions, but trying to get his money back is not proving to be easy.
Where were those excursions supposed to take place?

If they fall under prohibited activities per governors orders at the time or if there is a mandatory quarantine order for arrivals (HI) or a no-intrastate travel order (AK), it would be likely that the excursion company cannot offer the booked trip. But now that the traveler has cancelled already, it might not help much and the T&C cancellation policy will kick in.