If you had to buy one new car which of these three would you buy Corolla, Camry or Prius? You only have these three to

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThunderTurtle

Re: If you had to buy one new car which of these three would you buy Corolla, Camry or Prius? You only have these three

Post by ThunderTurtle » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:45 am

ScooterBob wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:16 pm
...please go to a Mazda and Subaru dealer, preferably while the dealership is closed, and check the visual quality control.
Bob
Truth be told, that's the best way to look at a Mazda. They make other bad dealership experience seem "okay" by comparison.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Re: If you had to buy one new car which of these three would you buy Corolla, Camry or Prius? You only have these three

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:09 am

dziuniek wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:46 am
ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:07 pm
iamblessed wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:47 pm
choose from. I am thinking about buying a new car and would like you feed back on these three cars.
None of the above, I would buy a Subaru.

(I don’t have only those three to choose from and neither do you.)
And I would take any of those 3 but the subaru :)
Different strokes! :sharebeer

dziuniek

Post by dziuniek » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:17 am

Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:09 am
dziuniek wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:46 am
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:07 pm
iamblessed wrote:
choose from. I am thinking about buying a new car and would like you feed back on these three cars.
None of the above, I would buy a Subaru.

(I don’t have only those three to choose from and neither do you.)
And I would take any of those 3 but the subaru :)
Different strokes! :sharebeer
Currently have Outback + Camry. Guess which one has been a bunch of trouble :)

I would trade both for my '93 Nissan 240sx fromm back in the day :)

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:17 am

(copy of deleted post removed by admin alex)

About me: I'm somebody whom likes to read about cars, talk cars, look at pricing, and follow the industry. I also have been a BH (before I knew who Jack Bogle was) since I was a teenager. I try to help this community as best I can with car talk, because I know many on here, and many in the PF world, are very averse to car expenses.

BLUF: The Corolla, Camry, and Prius are all bullet proof cars. Especially the Prius or Corolla. If you want a car that can go 200k miles and be relatively trouble free compared to most other brands... those two are especially good. Camry moved to the TNGA platform in 2018, though I am unaware of major systemic issues with it.

--------------------------------------------
What irks me.... is that OPed ask this question:

If you had to buy one new car which of these three would you buy Corolla, Camry or Prius? You only have these three to

And your answer was (paraphrasing): None of them and you know well that you have more options than that. I would go with Subaru.

As somebody whom generally follows the auto world, you cannot sit here and be taken seriously that Corolla, Camry, or Prius are "bad" cars from a mechanical, pricing or safety standpoint. Sure, the Prius and Corolla are a bit bland to drive, but for the vast, vast majority of price-conscious BHs.... all three of those Toyota's are slam-dunk choices.

For whatever reason though, as somebody that does read car forums and does listen to car talk at work... Sub owners (purely anecdotal and stereotyping them here) are always reminding others that they bought a Subaru and how great the car is. Look, I don't know what experiences you've had with other brands, but Toyota has been great to my family. Even Mercedes was decent, though it was the random electrical issues and switches that went out that plagued us more than anything... the engine/transmission were fine though we weren't going with performance tuned engines.

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:38 am

surfinagin wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:04 pm
Loyalty to car manufacturers is common: if you like Toyotas, you like Toyotas.

Paying a premium for Toyota, Honda, etc isn't worth it to me. Credit to them for having "won't drive anything else" mentality customers that are fine paying their "quality premium".
To the extent I believed that true, I would not want to pay a premium for a Toyota. But I'm not sure it is true, either that Toyota in recent years has a clear quality advantage over the other (nominally) Japanese (not necessarily assembled there, as we all know) brands, or that there's a tangible price premium. When I looked at Toyota, Honda and Subaru small SUV's for my daughter a couple of year ago I didn't see much difference in quality, likely reliability or price. I don't think you actually gain or lose much by deciding to look only at Toyota (or only at Honda, Subaru, etc). I do agree the loyalty can be arbitrary, not sure it really matters much is what I'm saying.

Among Toyota's if the choice is a sedan, not something we'd likely buy*, than I'd join the apparent plurality: Camry for sure. For a given level of tech from the same designers, mass and crush volume helps in a crash. That would be that, pretty much, for a car a loved one is driving. If I decided a hybrid made sense then a hybrid Camry not a Prius.

*our current line up is a 2005 Lexus GX and a 2018 BMW M2 (semi-rational love of BMW's? I might have, but this one is pretty hard not to love :happy ). SUV plus sporty car is likely to remain our preferred combo.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:10 am

Any tall Camry owners here?

My husband is 6'5 so I will obviously have him sit/drive any potential new vehicles. He was pleasantly surprised at the space inside a Corolla a couple of years ago when he drove from Miami-DC with our daughter when she moved. So I'm hopeful the Camry will also fit him ok.

The Camry hybrid is sounding like a great option for us. We live in the Florida Keys; no issues with city parking but getting 'to town' entails a 60-mile RT at least and usually longer. So something that's safe and comfortable with good gas mileage is a priority. Sounds like how most are describing the Camry actually :happy

Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:11 am

The OP is asking about three particular cars. Please answer accordingly so it stays on topic. Thank you.

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:21 am

Camry Hybrid (or gas version). If you might need hatch-back hauling space, more closely consider the Prius. I owned a 2005 Prius and loved it - traded it in on a Sienna when the 3rd baby came. I borrowed my in-laws Hybrid Camry for weeks over the past decade, and for each trip, I wished the trunk was a lot larger.

Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:32 am

pennywise wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:10 am
Any tall Camry owners here?

My husband is 6'5 so I will obviously have him sit/drive any potential new vehicles. He was pleasantly surprised at the space inside a Corolla a couple of years ago when he drove from Miami-DC with our daughter when she moved. So I'm hopeful the Camry will also fit him ok.

The Camry hybrid is sounding like a great option for us. We live in the Florida Keys; no issues with city parking but getting 'to town' entails a 60-mile RT at least and usually longer. So something that's safe and comfortable with good gas mileage is a priority. Sounds like how most are describing the Camry actually :happy
I am 6'4" and fit quite well in my Camry. There is even legroom if someone needs to sit behind me.

MikeR289

Post by MikeR289 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:43 am

Prius. Lowest maintenance car we've ever owned. Perfect for urban/suburban driving.

researcher

Post by researcher » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:12 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:17 am
For whatever reason though, as somebody that does read car forums and does listen to car talk at work... Sub owners (purely anecdotal and stereotyping them here) are always reminding others that they bought a Subaru and how great the car is.
+1
Subaru and Tesla owners unbridled enthusiasm is interesting.

I don't recall who it is, but there is an avid Subaru fanatic and promoter here, despite experiencing a litany of problems.
They have had multiple catastrophic powertrain failures, yet continues to recommend Subaru in nearly ever car thread!
I don't get it.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:25 pm

If it was going to be the primary family car that we would use for longer trips, the Camry. (I am a long-legged > six footer.) If the secondary car (primarily short trips around town or to nearby locations) the Corolla.
Friar1610

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:38 pm

researcher wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:12 pm
Helo80 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:17 am
For whatever reason though, as somebody that does read car forums and does listen to car talk at work... Sub owners (purely anecdotal and stereotyping them here) are always reminding others that they bought a Subaru and how great the car is.
+1
Subaru and Tesla owners unbridled enthusiasm is interesting.

I don't recall who it is, but there is an avid Subaru fanatic and promoter here, despite experiencing a litany of problems.
They have had multiple catastrophic powertrain failures, yet continues to recommend Subaru in nearly ever car thread!
I don't get it.
That might be me. Our 2013 Subaru Crosstrek limited had the CVT transmission go and replaced under warranty at 53k miles. Now at 107k miles without issue. I also liked the Legacy loaner car with eyesight I had for that week. The oil burning issue was in my mind and I knew it was warrantied for 100k miles, so I brought it in at 94k miles and indeed they replaced the short block along with the recalled valve springs. I liked the Legacy loaner car with eyesight for the 2 weeks it was there.

All of this cost me zero. The car never saw the dealer for anything else in the 107k miles so far. We bought a 19 Crosstrek premium 6 speed manual.

I had another thought for the OP. Squinting a bit, my recommendation comes down to 2 cars. If you require the power of the V6 Camry engine, buy a Lotus Evora, Evora 400 or Evora GT. You get the Toyota proven powertrain tweeked and in the latter 2 cases supercharged. The result is Ferrari like performance from a reliable platform at a price 1/3 that of a Ferrari.

On the 4 cyl side, find a used Lotus Elise. It uses the 2ZZ engine found in Celica GT-S and MR-2, tweeked by Yamaha and recalibrated. Although a tiny 4 cyl, it accelerates on par with a 305 hp Subaru STi.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

RCL

Post by RCL » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:19 pm

[OT comments removed by admin alex]

To the OP, I think the current Corolla model is much larger than the earlier year models (not been in one lately).
It is really hard to go wrong with the Camry selection, but it is larger than the Corolla
It Is Best To Consult Others Before Taking Unusual Actions

Boats day

Post by Boats day » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:28 pm

I would buy the Camry but all 3 are bullet prof!

boat

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:54 pm

mmmodem wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:43 pm
Ron Ronnerson wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:26 pm
cherijoh wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:11 pm
iamblessed wrote:
I wouldn't buy a Prius. I am short and the spoiler in the back hits right in the middle of where I would be looking in the rear view mirror.
This was my issue with the Prius too and why test driving is so important. I thought I'd like the car a lot until I checked it out in person. I literally could not see properly when driving and that does pose a problem.
I test drove my Prius at night and the decklid blocked off other cars headlights. It was at the perfect height to block off the car directly behind me. This was such a welcome surprise as I also thought this would be determent. My test drive sealed my purchase.
That's interesting. I tend to do most of my driving during the daytime so don't have any regrets but it sounds like the time of day that a person drives the most might be a factor in this decision.

beachlover

Post by beachlover » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:52 pm

We bought a 2020 Prius Prime - mid level trim - in early December 2019. We have been really happy with it for our driving habits.

Since neither of us has a big commute, we've been able to do practically *all* of our day-to-day local driving within the all-electric (EV) range of about 25 miles. This was a key factor in our decision, and it has worked out as we hoped. We also love how it drives in EV mode - quiet, smooth and with plenty of torque for local driving.

You can definitely hear and feel when the hybrid drive train kicks in as you exceed EV mode driving range. I'm not sure that it's particularly noisy compared with other cars in its class; I think it mainly stands out in juxtaposition to the comparative quiet of EV mode. I don't notice it much on the highway.

For the few highway trips we've taken we seem to get the advertised 50+ MPG.

One potential downside of the Prime vs regular Prius is that you give up some cargo room in the hatch for the bigger battery package.

With $3000 off from Toyota, Federal tax credit ($4500) and PA rebate ($1000) it turned out to be pretty good deal, too.

ballons

Post by ballons » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:09 pm

1. Prius Prime
  2. Prius
  3. Corolla hatchback
  4. Corolla hybrid
  5. Corolla
  6. Camry

SciurusVulgaris

Post by SciurusVulgaris » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:33 am

For me, Prius or maybe Prius Prime. With a hatchback you can carry bigger items. With the longer range you don't have to fill up as much. With the regenerative braking you don't need as much service.

It's a utility vehicle though. If you're a car enthusiast, look at the Camry.

nesta

Post by nesta » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:50 am

I have a 6 year old Prius I bought brand new and wouldn't trade it for anything at this point. No maintenance issues, and the hauling capacity is amazing for a sedan. Easy to fit a bike in the back when you don't want to put a rack on, it fit's my husbands short kayak, hauling mulch. And I understand gas is cheap right now, but that may not always be the case. Plus it feels good getting 50 miles to the gallon. The one drawback of buying a new one is that I don't love the body style, I much prefer my 2014, but I would still buy it again.

GeMoney

Post by GeMoney » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:17 am

I currently owed a Corolla which is great and meets my needs but if I were to choice from those three it would be the Camry TRD. It looks great (just like the Lexus ES sport) at 2/3 the price but admittedly with less features.

prairieman

Post by prairieman » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:51 am

ballons wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:09 pm
  1. Prius Prime
  2. Prius
  3. Corolla hatchback
  4. Corolla hybrid
  5. Corolla
  6. Camry
I would rank this way, too.

Quaestner

Post by Quaestner » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:50 am

Lots of factors to consider. One of them is: How much CO2 do you want to spew?

pahkcah

Post by pahkcah » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:47 pm

Have owned all three models. Cannot go wrong with any of these. My number one purchasing factor in a vehicle is reliability, which these Toyota's all have.

Which one depends on your requirements. Camry for interior space and transporting passengers, corolla for intermediate size and fuel economy, but I loved the Prius for driving in large cities, parking, gas mileage (51 mpg) and hatchback functionality. Staying with Toyota products, have moved up to a Lexus hybrid.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:12 pm

Quaestner wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:50 am
Lots of factors to consider. One of them is: How much CO2 do you want to spew?
Oh okay :D

Well.. since you asked, ten tons of CO2 every year on average. :D Trees love CO2. I put food on their table :twisted:

Slovus

Post by Slovus » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:22 pm

I've had 2 Corollas now - and drove both over 250,000 miles - and probably could have gone much longer.

hudson

Post by hudson » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:07 pm

Several years ago, in Bangkok, it seemed like every taxi was a Corolla.For first class great transportation, I would get a Corolla...if it fit my situation...which it does not at the moment.
If I had to get a car for a family member, I would buy a Corolla without looking at anything else.

Topic Author
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:24 pm

hudson wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:07 pm
Several years ago, in Bangkok, it seemed like every taxi was a Corolla.For first class great transportation, I would get a Corolla...if it fit my situation...which it does not at the moment.
If I had to get a car for a family member, I would buy a Corolla without looking at anything else.
Good point I remember seeing a lot of Camry taxi in NYC. Is it still that way in NYC?