Is walking enough cardio exercise if I also lift weights?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Lynx310650

Is walking enough cardio exercise if I also lift weights?

Post by Lynx310650 »

I'll be honest, I hate doing cardio with a passion. I lift weights (now at home with dumbbells) 3x a week.

I also walk maybe 1.5-2 miles 4-5 times a week with the spouse.

Do I need to add more cardio? I was thinking of maybe doing 1-2 HIIT sessions at home as well.

As far as goals, it's only health. Nothing aesthetic or athletic. Just want to do the bare minimum to have a marked improvement in health and avoid premature death.
jebmke

Re: Is walking enough cardio exercise if I also lift weights?

Post by jebmke »

I don't know what is "enough" but I do know I haven't been able to replicate the results from the gym by walking. I walk 3-5 miles 4-5 times per week. My heart rate doesn't really move up a lot. When I was doing cycling and stairmaster I was getting up to 140-145 heart rate (I'm 67 so I think that is high enough).
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone »

No way. Walking is great, but you should get your heart rate higher a few times a week.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Everybody's heart is different, so you won't know unless you figure out your own heart rate limits and also measure whether your heart rate improves. I am in my 60s and do a lot of cardio. If I slack off, my resting heart rate definitely increases above the 40 bpm that I expect it to be. You will be different.
Last edited by livesoft on Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
OhBoyUhoh

Post by OhBoyUhoh »

^^ 40 BPM resting? is that the goal? I didn't realize it was so low, I was happy with mid 50s.

Cheers
I had money, I had none. I had money, I had none. But I never been so broke that I couldn't leave town. (Jim, Ray, Robby, John)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

OhBoyUhoh wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:52 pm ^^ 40 BPM resting? is that the goal? I didn't realize it was so low, I was happy with mid 50s.
Everybody is different. Don't use my goals as your goals.

I don't know what Lynx is going to use to decide what "marked improvement in health" actually is for them.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Here is a suggestion for the OP: Since you have dumbbells, do you have stairs in your home? If so, you could walk up and down the stairs holding the dumbbells. This should improve your balance, too. Your heart rate will go up and you may only be able to do 1 minute of this at first say while zapping your oatmeal for one minute. But eventually, you should be able to do this for 5 minutes or 10 minutes. There would be no running involved, plus going up is harder than going down, so you get hard mixed with easy. If everything is too easy, then carry more weight. I have no doubt that you could get your heart rate going much higher doing the stairs w/dumbbells than you could walking.

Plus if you leave your dumbbells by the stairs, then you could pop off a few minutes anytime you are stuck waiting for something.
galeno

Post by galeno »

It depends on your age, sex and fitness level.

E.g. I'm a 62 year old.male. i just measured my fitness level. My VO2Max = 25 which is fair for me. It used to be 37 (very good).

It's so hard to get fit and so easy to get unfit. I need to start eating better and doing exercise. Up 3 kg since my voluntary lockdown. I've developed some bad habits I need to change them starting tomorrow.

So for me walking is sn excellent form of cardio. Walking easily gets me into the moderate level o 70%-79% of max heart rate.

When I'm in better shape walking still works. Albiet with more speed and elevation.
KISS & STC.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

OhBoyUhoh wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:52 pm ^^ 40 BPM resting? is that the goal? I didn't realize it was so low, I was happy with mid 50s.

Cheers
40 bpm resting is unusual and partly genetics. That's down where elite marathoners go.

Mid 50s is good.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Lynx310650 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:35 pm I'll be honest, I hate doing cardio with a passion. I lift weights (now at home with dumbbells) 3x a week.

Do I need to add more cardio? I was thinking of maybe doing 1-2 HIIT sessions at home as well.

As far as goals, it's only health. Nothing aesthetic or athletic. Just want to do the bare minimum to have a marked improvement in health and avoid premature death.
How fast do you walk? If I'm doing a power walk, I try for several miles at 14:30 per mile or better. That doesn't get my heartrate up as high as jogging, but it's better than a stroll.
camillus

Post by camillus »

Bring your dumbbells along for the walk.

Or, look up kettlebell/dumbbell swings HIIT sessions.
51% US / 34% ex-US / 15% “bond”
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Lynx310650 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:35 pm I'll be honest, I hate doing cardio with a passion. I lift weights (now at home with dumbbells) 3x a week.

No, walking is not enough.
warowits

Post by warowits »

If you are weightlifting doing full body compound lifts with heavy weights, there are some real cardiovascular side benefits. Heavy squats can really get your heart going.

Curls and other isolation work, not so much.
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

I love walking and hiking, and walk 30-40 minutes a day, but for me there's just no comparison between the benefits of vigorous exercise and brisk walking. I've been rowing for the past two years, and just feel so much better than I ever did when I was younger.

However, I think it's also important to do what you enjoy, so maybe you should just walk for longer periods of time and take a route that includes hills. Walking up inclines should get your heart rate up.
Galaxy8

Post by Galaxy8 »

Bro science down, real science on!

You should aim to meet the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans as set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, American Heart Association, and American College of Sports Medicine.

In summary:
  • 2-3 days per week of muscle-strengthening activity AND
  • 75 to 150 minutes of vigorous activity per week OR
  • 150 to 300 minutes of moderate activity per week
https://health.gov/sites/default/files/ ... dition.pdf

Is walking enough?
Walking 2,000 more steps more day than your usual activity (a 20 minute brisk walk) lowers heart attack and stroke risk by 10%. Yates 2014. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24361242

:sharebeer
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

Walking can be enough if you do it briskly. Also can mix it up with things like carrying dumbbells or wearing a weighted vest.

Other than strength training, walking is one of the best exercises there is
Johnnyone

Post by Johnnyone »

Yes, as long as you have stellar nutritional habits. I recommend a punching bag for some extra cardio.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

TN_Boy wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:54 pm

Cheers
40 bpm resting is unusual and partly genetics. That's down where elite marathoners go.

Mid 50s is good.
It's also a condition doctors call Bradycardia. I have abnormally slow heart rate, but I'm not especially athletic. Every time I go to a new doctor, or nurse, or anyone that checks heart rate, I go through this rigmarole where they ask if I get 'dizzy' or have some other symptoms (I don't)... they want to run blood tests and electrocardiogram, which I've done, but they've never found anything 'wrong', and I'm stable with no ill-effects other than healthcare workers giving me funny looks when trying to take my pulse. :confused
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

Walking is good for reducing cardiovascular health risks. Just Google it and you'll find countless articles citing study after study. You won't burn calories as quickly as more intense workouts, you won't increase your aerobic capacity like more intense workouts, but you will reap long-term heart benefits.

Also, walking consistently is certainly better than trying a more taxing cardio workout you hate and then abandoning all cardio completely. Enjoying it is important.

Good suggestions above, though, about stairs, walking with weights, etc.
badapu

Post by badapu »

https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living ... -in-adults

The word from the American Heart Association
Hope this helps
Calli114

Post by Calli114 »

You could research doing "Heavy Hands" walking.
It's basically walking with weights as you may see people doing at times, and the trainer at my gym (now closed), is a big proponent of it. Done correctly, the arm swings are pretty big.

For any given walking pace, the added arm movement gets your heart rate higher so it does help the cardio component.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

Probably not.

You need to estimate your MAX heart rate: 220 - age, roughly.

Then, you need to spend at least 15-20 minutes per day in the 80-90% of that zone.

E.g., if you are 30, Max heart rate is 190.
80% of 190 is 152.
90% of 190 is 171.

Need to spend some time near 171.

Get a fitbit.
I don't carry a signature because people are easily offended.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

while walking stop and do an 8 count burpee once every 30 seconds.

Do the same thing next time you're walking around inside the grocery store. :D
Blue

Post by Blue »

Walking is enough in the Blue Zone region of Sardinia where male centenarians have managed to close the gender longevity gap. (Male:Female ratio of 1:1 among Sardinian centenarians).

Of course, they also walk 12.4 km (7.7 miles) per day at an average 15% slope.

Lifestyle and nutrition related to male longevity in Sardinia: An ecological study
https://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.edu.d ... 8ebe69cd4c
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I'm just back from a 4 mile jaunt which made me think that the OP would benefit from the book

Younger Next Year by Crowley and Lodge.

This book has come up many times on the forum before.
Swivelguy

Post by Swivelguy »

You can get all the cardio you need by lifting weights faster. That can more explosive reps, longer sets, and/or shorter rest periods. All the standard caveats apply, of course, like listen to your body and don't do anything that compromises your form.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Try a series of 15-20 second moderate exertion wind sprints on your walk. Run a sprint and then walk for a minute to catch your breath, run another sprint, and repeat multiple times for total of 15-20 minutes maybe 3-5 times a week. Its important to start slow and easy running this kind of workout to avoid injury. But most folks will get stronger and quicker with practice over time.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Trader Joe wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:25 pm

If you walk 45 minutes 5 times per week at a brisk pace (so about 3 miles), perhaps including some hills, I’d argue that’s some of the best exercise there is.

Also look into Tai Chi.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
SemiTech11

Post by SemiTech11 »

I used to lift weights 2-3 times a week and also jogged 3-4 miles 2-3 times a week until back problems a few years back forced me to stop jogging which I loved. So I moved to walking 2 miles 5 times a week.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed walking which I looked down upon previously. (It is not really exercise, is it :D :D ?)

What further surprised me was how my various health numbers - weight, heart rate, cholesterol, etc. - stayed the same. The only advice I have is to maintain a good pace to get an elevated heart rate. The lesson I took away from my experience was that regular movement was the most important factor. If you hate cardio, walking is a great substitute.

Other advantages I discovered
  • It is a lot easier to get in a good walk on business trips.
  • My knees and back are more grateful as I get older. I can see myself continuing with this routine until a fairly advanced age.
Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

Walking uphill on bare ground or grass can raise HR to cardio levels for me. Flat walking is a strain on joints if done too long and too often. My walk goes a mile downhill, a mile uphill, and a quarter mile of flat.
16% cash 49% stock 35% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
UpsetRaptor

Post by UpsetRaptor »

I was a heavy regular on one of the most popular fitness forums for about 8 years.

The "best" exercises are the ones that you enjoy enough to perform consistently over time. Walking ~10 mi per week plus lifting weights 3x per week is fine, in conjunction with a good diet and ensuring you're maintaining a healthy bodyweight. HIIT can be great if you're really trying to get fit, but it's not strictly necessary, and if you do want to try it, don't ramp it up with too much too quick and get yourself hurt. For your goal of long-term health and longevity, more important than optimizing the now is finding a routine that you'll keep up for the next month, year, and decade.

Good luck.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Independent George

Post by Independent George »

Try rucking - throw on a backpack and fill it with 10-20 lbs of weight and walk your normal route at your normal pace; you'll burn more calories and improve your posture without any extra wear & tear on your knees. A twelve-pack of your beverage of choice is conveniently right around 10 lbs. 1-2 miles per day really isn't very much, but adding even light load will burn some serious calories.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

AlphaLess wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:49 pm Probably not.

You need to estimate your MAX heart rate: 220 - age, roughly.

Then, you need to spend at least 15-20 minutes per day in the 80-90% of that zone.

E.g., if you are 30, Max heart rate is 190.
80% of 190 is 152.
90% of 190 is 171.

Need to spend some time near 171.

Get a fitbit.
Not sure I've seen rates in that range since my tweens :shock:

No wonder I'm getting a middle age spread.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

surfstar wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:21 pm 4-min Tabata style HIIT is all you need, actually.

https://www.joe.co.uk/fitness-health/ho ... ning-58885
https://www.mountaintrek.com/tabata-tra ... e-miracle/
Better than 7 min abs!

I'll give this a shot. :beer
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Trader Joe wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:25 pm

Yes, walking is enough.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

F150HD wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:57 pm while walking stop and do an 8 count burpee once every 30 seconds.

Do the same thing next time you're walking around inside the grocery store. :D
And maintain social distance while doing the burpee in the grocery store? :D
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

One solution is to do both. While the gym is closed this may not be possible, but maybe jog/run on the treadmill for 8 mins. Then lift for 12 mins. Then go on the bike for 8 mins or so. Then continue to lift. Then do the elliptical for 8 mins or so, then lift again for 12 mins.

I need to get a lot of cardio in, and this is my solution to adding weight training to a 60 min aerobic workout. While lifting I go fast, not a lot of rest between sets. I hate doing cardio indoors, but 8 mins is enough to get my heart rate up to zone 2, and I can keep it up for about another 12 mins.

Another solution is ride a bicycle or roller blade outside. You have to work a little, rather than just being out for a slow ride, but it is really pleasurable.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

I have 20+ years of training (weights, cardio, sports), 10 years in the medical field, and have followed the "experts" in diet and exercise science, and cardiology, obesity treatment, and neurology/stroke prevention as a hobby for decades, and most reputable sources (doctors, trainers, medical experts) alike will agree 20-30 min walking 3-5 times a week is usually enough for heart health.

What I do is listen to my body. Some days I feel energized, motivated, and do some jogging, play soccer and football with the kids, take the dog for a walk. Then there's other days where 20min walking on the treadmill is a challenge. In the long term, its the consistent healthy diet and exercise, and more importantly lifestyle that will help avoid premature death. Shoot for walking a mile or two, several times a week and more if you feel ambitious!
Light weight baby!
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

livesoft wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:44 pm Everybody's heart is different, so you won't know unless you figure out your own heart rate limits and also measure whether your heart rate improves. I am in my 60s and do a lot of cardio. If I slack off, my resting heart rate definitely increases above the 40 bpm that I expect it to be. You will be different.
I agree with this...you need a goal that is measurable.

There are different ways to achieve the goal. FWIW, I do very heavy barbell lifts and no other cardio and my resting heart rate and blood pressure are considered very good. My BMI on the other hand...
afan

Post by afan »

If you have access to hills, then fast walking up moderately steep inclines can get your heart rate up. The incline matters a lot, so walking on flat ground or slight elevations will not do. If you live in San Francisco yiu should be good to go.

You can look up formulas that give calories burned as a function of speed, weight and incline.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

I've been walking 3-5 miles four or five days a week for nearly ten years. I occasionally add weights but not often enough. My BMI is great, my blood pressure and cholesterol are great, my pulse is good but not 40 (which is a marathon runner pulse rate). I started walking to lose a little weight but I actually do it now as much for my mental health as well as my physical health. I used to run and always wound up getting injured and having to take months off so I just increased the distance I walk. Treadmill in the winter and outside whenever it's possible.

Remember the other parts of your health too. A healthy diet and a way to deal with stress can be every bit as important. Best of luck.
FitnFin

Post by FitnFin »

Yes, the combination of walking and weights is the ideal combination for most individuals. Walking allows for increased circulation, primarily uses fat oxidation as an energy substrate, and the cognitive benefits have been long noted in research. Weights increase bone density and help improve/maintain your lean muscle mass which in turn keeps your resting metabolic rate at an elevated level. Can you run everyday without increased risk of energy or fatigue? Can you walk everyday without increased risk of energy or fatigue (generally speaking)? If exercise is about creating habits, which form allows a more consistent habit?
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

FitnFin wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:27 am Yes, the combination of walking and weights is the ideal combination for most individuals. Walking allows for increased circulation, primarily uses fat oxidation as an energy substrate, and the cognitive benefits have been long noted in research. Weights increase bone density and help improve/maintain your lean muscle mass which in turn keeps your resting metabolic rate at an elevated level. Can you run everyday without increased risk of energy or fatigue? Can you walk everyday without increased risk of energy or fatigue (generally speaking)? If exercise is about creating habits, which form allows a more consistent habit?
Most people find it easier to squeeze in the 30 mins for a run versus the 60 mins for a walk so it is much easier to get a consistent running habit. And no you don't have fatigue problems from running 30 mins/day (which is getting towards the upper limits of what is recommend for pure health running at 3.5 hours/week).

The amount of exercise you need to get big health benefits is really small. 90 mins/week of running or 3 hours of walking is plenty in most studies and the benefits of doing more rapidly decline.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

randomguy wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:15 amMost people find it easier to squeeze in the 30 mins for a run versus the 60 mins for a walk so it is much easier to get a consistent running habit. And no you don't have fatigue problems from running 30 mins/day (which is getting towards the upper limits of what is recommend for pure health running at 3.5 hours/week).
I am amused by the use of "Most people" because I would have guessed that most people cannot run for 30 minutes until they have worked up to it which might take at least a few weeks. As for "you don't have fatigue problems", maybe you meant "one shouldn't have fatigue problems ..." :)

If you look at all those "Couch to 5 K" programs, then one can see what it might take for many people to work up to 30 minutes a day. If it was easy and most people could do it, then practically none of those plans would exist.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

livesoft wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:28 am
randomguy wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:15 amMost people find it easier to squeeze in the 30 mins for a run versus the 60 mins for a walk so it is much easier to get a consistent running habit. And no you don't have fatigue problems from running 30 mins/day (which is getting towards the upper limits of what is recommend for pure health running at 3.5 hours/week).
I am amused by the use of "Most people" because I would have guessed that most people cannot run for 30 minutes until they have worked up to it which might take at least a few weeks. As for "you don't have fatigue problems", maybe you meant "one shouldn't have fatigue problems ..." :)

If you look at all those "Couch to 5 K" programs, then one can see what it might take for many people to work up to 30 minutes a day. If it was easy and most people could do it, then practically none of those plans would exist.
You are focusing on the first 3 months. I am looking at the next 20+ years.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

randomguy wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:35 amYou are focusing on the first 3 months. I am looking at the next 20+ years.
I'll probably be dead before then.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

Walking gets an undeserved bad rap, probably because it's free and doesn't seem hardcore. It's good for the heart, weight-bearing so good for the bones, easy to maintain as a habit, easy to do in most weather, very low risk of overuse injuries or acute injuries, and it doesn't require expensive equipment. IME it was easiest to maintain a healthy weight when my baseline activity included five miles of walking per day and it doesn't also spike one's appetite or lead to compensatory overeating.

That said, because it's low intensity, one needs to do more of it than one would of more vigorous exercise. A lot of us are time crunched and that's why everyone is trying to get workouts in 4 minutes. Bump that 1.5-2 miles to 3 and you're great.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

"Enough" for what? The amount of walking you do is probably enough to get you out of the danger zone of cardiovascular inactivity experienced by 100% sedentary people. If you want to maximize your overall vitality, you'll probably need to do more.

It's worth noting that you can get a lot of cardiovascular benefits with weights. You don't *have* to run if you don't want to. High rep sets with minimal rest are fairly similar to HIIT type cardio programs.

As for not liking cardio, you might find you start liking it if you do more. Running is a total drag if you aren't in shape to run. But it gets a lot better as your abilities increase.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

As asked, this is not an answerable question. How old are you? How fit are you already? If you’re basically sedentary, then going for a bit of a walk a few times a week along with lifting little tiny weights is more than you’ve been doing, and it’s enough. If you’re already in passable shape, then no, it isn’t.

What I’ve read about HIIT training vs slower cardio is that either one (or both together) work. HIIT, though, is much more time efficient. If I do HIIT training, 30 minutes 3x per week is enough to get in good shape. If I’m walking, it’s probably going to need to be 2-3 hours of walking at a pretty good clip 4-5 days per week to get the same effect.