Taxes on New Home in PA

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Mapmaker

Taxes on New Home in PA

Post by Mapmaker »

I bought the lot last fall, and I paid cash for a new home. I just moved in a couple weeks ago. Can someone from PA tell me when I will get property tax and school tax bills? Will I pay for the whole year since I owned the land, or just March-Dec when I am living in the house? Thanks.
chambers136

Re: Taxes on New Home in PA

Post by chambers136 »

Our Real estate tax bill comes in March, school tax in august. We get a 2% discount if paid in the first few months after receiving the bill. All this said, I think it depends on your municipality as to when they bill.
notmyhand

Post by notmyhand »

We get the county tax in January, the township tax in March, and the school tax in July. They're due a few weeks after that in but early payment gets a small discount.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Google “property tax” and “XXXXX COUNTY” This will let you know how it is handled in your location.

Your property tax obligation began when you bought the land. You probably paid towards property tax at closing.
Topic Author
Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker »

I will have to give the tax office a call next week. I found out that my county sends tax bills in March and July, but I didn’t receive the March bill.
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

Some counties may allow you to do an online search for the info: http://dauphinpropertyinfo.org/
user5027

Post by user5027 »

It's been 32 years and my recollection is...

1) Township Code Office handles building permits and inspections. After final inspection they issue Occupancy Permit and notify County Tax Assessor's office. That triggers...

2) Tax assessment of property and revision to tax record.

3) Local tax collector issues tax bills based on current tax record when bill is issued. You get two bills. One in March for County and Township. One in July for School District.

Hope that helps. YMMV
Topic Author
Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker »

I think you are right. I handed over the final check to the builder and actually met the guy who was doing the final inspection walking through the house. He told me everything was fine, so I assume he gave the Certificate of Occupancy.
The next day, the movers were here, but our county (Cumberland) and my builder closed because of the virus. I still do not have my title (deed?), so maybe that’s the hold-up getting a tax bill.
user5027

Post by user5027 »

I live in Bucks.

The property transfer last fall should have put you on the tax record then and you should have a bill that was mailed 3/1....

https://www.ccpa.net/3021/When-Are-My-Taxes-Due

Even if the the tax record does not reflect a reassessment for the new home, the bill would be at least for the land.

Can you find your property on this map and make sure the information is correct? Being vacant land they may have a bad mailing address. Might be part of the "Care of" line.

https://gis.ccpa.net/propertymapper/
Topic Author
Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker »

Oh my gosh, thank you for the link. They have correct information, and the size of my home in sq. ft, but only land value, not the house. The In Care Of line is blank.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Mapmaker wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:23 pm Oh my gosh, thank you for the link. They have correct information, and the size of my home in sq. ft, but only land value, not the house. The In Care Of line is blank.
That might be right since you have new construction. I recall that there is a delay between the actual valuation and when the tax record gets updated.