Does anyone else just not care/worry?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
heyyou

Does anyone else just not care/worry?

Post by heyyou » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:09 pm

Perhaps jaded from previous market drops and recoveries, but this decline does not seem to stir any emotion for me. At 70, and retired for 15 years, I've seen enough that I'm comfortable with a decade (or more) of portfolio withdrawals stored in bond index funds, regardless of what level, stock index prices are.

Is anyone else unperturbed these days?

Firemenot

Re: Does anyone else just not care/worry?

Post by Firemenot » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:10 pm

I’m 43 and 100 percent in stock. Not losing any sleep at all with respect to my personal financial situation.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:15 pm

I work in healthcare and am more worried about potential job impact, more than what my portfolio has done.

jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:17 pm

I'm aware of what's going on, but staying the course.

Something Mel said has stuck with me. To paraphrase, the only two days that matter in the market: the day you buy and the day you sell. The middle is just noise.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:18 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:15 pm
I work in healthcare and am more worried about potential job impact, more than what my portfolio has done.
And we are far more worried about the virus itself.
:(

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

March2009

Post by March2009 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:22 pm

I'm not worried about the market but I watch it out of curiosity. And I guess I find a little comfort in diverting my attention away from the sadness of the virus.
In bear markets, stocks return to their rightful owners. - J.P. Morgan

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:23 pm

At this point I have decided what I want to do and put in GTC Limit Buy orders that will execute if we drop to the prescribe levels or otherwise expire. So now I am becoming a little bored with it because I am not thinking this is the end of the world. And if it is the end of the world there isn't anything I could do about it.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:35 pm

heyyou wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:09 pm
Perhaps jaded from previous market drops and recoveries, but this decline does not seem to stir any emotion for me. At 70, and retired for 15 years, I've seen enough that I'm comfortable with a decade (or more) of portfolio withdrawals stored in bond index funds, regardless of what level, stock index prices are.

I think worries are different now.

There are life and death issues.

I have many relatives who are high risk.

I am worried for them.

I have a lot of friends who live alone, and while they have job security and are generally healthy, I am worried about their mental state.

I know people who work at hospitals. I am worried about them, because they are under a lot of stress.
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.

bampf

Post by bampf » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:38 pm

heyyou wrote:

I am not fearful. I feel pretty good about my allocation levels and our run rate. I feel awful for a lot of folks. A lot of people are struggling with their valuations, the money they make, fear, doubt and of course the danger of the virus. No, the market isn't upsetting to me.

yangtui

Post by yangtui » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:43 pm

I have been preparing for this since getting burned very badly in 08/09. So far things are working out great. Yes, I did lose a lot of money on paper but I do not care. I will not need it for another 30 years.

c_is_for_cow

Post by c_is_for_cow » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:47 pm

I just want my family to be safe and healthy. My wife works in an operating room and supplies are limited. I don’t care about the market right now.

asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:50 pm

I retired last year and glided into my preferred retirement allocation. Based on past market gyrations, I believed the retirement allocation would allow calmness, but as my retirement risk profile had never been tested under "live fire", I'm curious to know whether I guessed right. After all, in previous market plunges my job was never in danger, certainly my health was never in danger; this time is different for me. As my ability and need to take risk changed with retirement, I looked over the portfolio today at quarter end and find a portfolio loss of about 11% for the quarter. I can't say that I don't care, but the loss does not make me worry about finances, ability to pay bills, or anything else in that realm. Hurray, I more or less correctly judged my retirement risk profile---at least so far.

Now I can save my worry about whether or not the family can take a walk this afternoon.
Regards, | | Guy

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:53 pm

Aware, don't care. More interested in my favorite pizza place opening back up. If they don't, then I'm not worried about the virus. I'm worried about my reaction to the earthy greens health foods "woke" smoothie shop that takes their place.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:55 pm

heyyou wrote:

I don't care at all... It's amazing... 45/55 Asset Allocation makes it easy.

My wife cares though... so it's not totally stress-free... (But's she MUCH better this time than 2008)
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”

avidlearner

Post by avidlearner » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:58 pm

I also care more about my parents, relatives,and wife who is a nurse and goes to hospital almost daily than the portfolio value.

jschlocker

Post by jschlocker » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:00 pm

So nice to read these opinions!
Really, stay healthy, walk in a cemetery, grow a garden or plant a rose bush if you can! It’s a good investment!

flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:00 pm

heyyou wrote:

Investing-wise, I’m unperturbed

I invested through the tech crash and credit crisis and didn’t care so the virus crisis is just the same sheet different year

Knowing that market timing a bear is a sure thing makes it easy
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat

Momus

Post by Momus » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:08 pm

Pretty big chance, some of us will die this yr due to this virus. It could be any of us.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:16 pm

Momus wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:08 pm
Pretty big chance, some of us will die this yr due to this virus. It could be any of us.
Good chance more of us will die of other causes. According to the United Nations World Population Prospects report, approximately 7,452 people die every day in the United States. In other words, a person dies in the US approximately every 12 seconds.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

Momus

Post by Momus » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:18 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:16 pm
Momus wrote:
Good chance more of us will die of other causes. According to the United Nations World Population Prospects report, approximately 7,452 people die every day in the United States. In other words, a person dies in the US approximately every 12 seconds.
This is in ADDITION to that. So enjoy additional causes of death this yr. Any of the posters here might die if they catch it. We won't hear it unless they are a frequent poster.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:23 pm

Momus wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:18 pm
TheTimeLord wrote:
Momus wrote:
This is in ADDITION to that. So enjoy additional causes of death this yr. Any of the posters here might die if they catch it. We won't hear it unless they are a frequent poster.
Yep, or they die of a heart attack, car accident, cancer or the flu. What is the point of wasting minutes of your precious life worrying about what might happen?

bikechuck

Post by bikechuck » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:25 pm

I have experienced bear markets before but this is my first one in my deaccumulation phase. Despite that I am sleeping like a baby ... I wake up every couple of hours screaming!

Shackleton

Post by Shackleton » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:27 pm

Not worried about the my job (even though I started a new contract position at the beginning of March), or my health (including my family) or my investments ( even though I plan to retire in a couple years.)
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton

Momus

Post by Momus » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:28 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:23 pm
Momus wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:
Momus wrote:
Yep, or they die of a heart attack, car accident, cancer or the flu. What is the point of wasting minutes of your precious life worrying about what might happen?
So, I do what I can and not add to the statistics.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:35 pm

Momus wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:28 pm
TheTimeLord wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:23 pm
Momus wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:
Momus wrote:
So, I do what I can and not add to the statistics.
You make a plan, execute your plan to the best of your ability and accept the results. In other words, control what you can and accept the rest. There is nothing wrong with researching how to stay safe from Covid-19 because that is positive and productive, but best I can tell randomly worrying about it doesn't help.

huskerfan1414

Post by huskerfan1414 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:40 pm

Shackleton wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:27 pm
Not worried about the my job (even though I started a new contract position at the beginning of March), or my health (including my family) or my investments ( even though I plan to retire in a couple years.)
At least we aren't aboard The Endurance, right? They made it out, we can too.

Worried about my wife and kids, mostly. Wife is on the front lines with a preexisting condition. We praise God she has been healthy thus far.
The more I learn, the dumber I feel.

delamer

Post by delamer » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:27 pm

Momus wrote:
Not true, if the 240,000 estimate of US deaths turns out to be accurate.

That’s less than a 0.1% chance that any individual in the US dies.

Even if Bogleheads slewing older increases the odds, they are still very small.

And if it turns out to be 2.4 million (10 times higher), that’s still less than 1%.

Back to the original question — our Social Security and pension benefits landed in our checking account as usual. So we are financially secure.

I worry about too many things virus-related right now, but we are very fortunate not to have to be concerned about our investments.
Last edited by delamer on Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Momus

Post by Momus » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:32 pm

delamer wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:27 pm
Momus wrote:

And if it turns out to be 2.4 million (10 times higher), that’s still less than 1%.
Any death here is a pretty big news for me.

delamer

Post by delamer » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:35 pm

Momus wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:32 pm
delamer wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:27 pm
Momus wrote:

Any death here is a pretty big news for me.
I am not arguing that it wouldn’t be significant and tragic, just that the odds are quite low that it would happen.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:11 am

I’m comfortable with my AA; not at all concerned about the market. Between the types of rentals I own and the stimulus measures, I’m not worried about my real estate. Because of where and how I live, I’m not worried about the virus. Besides, I have other health challenges that are far more likely to do me in. Heck, today was probably my worst day ever for one issue — I lost a fair amount of blood today.

Portfolio? Coronavirus? Fuggetaboutit! :beer

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:19 am

I'm not worried about my finances.

I'm more concerned about the finances of others....by the rush of new posters who seem to be experiencing their first bear and wandering into the minefields of bad investment practices, despite all the attempts by others to coach them.

I guess sometimes there needs to a 'touch the stove' moment.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

vipertom1970

Post by vipertom1970 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:29 am

Here are things I worry about:
1. My only 24 yo daughter(ER Nurse)
2. My older parents
4. my brothers(law enforcement)
3. People around me like older neighbors and co workers.
4. The people that lost jobs and families of those had passed due to the virus.
Last edited by vipertom1970 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:34 am

Financially speaking, I am absolutely fine.

My siblings? My siblings' children? I am very concerned for them. If they eventually need financial assistance in this crisis, I will be there to support them.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:42 am

No. I worry a lot about the virus, being HIV+ and my husband as well.

The $300k decline in the portfolio doesn't help.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:59 am

madbrain wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:42 am
No. I worry a lot about the virus, being HIV+ and my husband as well.

The $300k decline in the portfolio doesn't help.
Please stay healthy.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:28 am

I survived 2000-02 and 2008-09 despite doing some pretty stupid things during that time. But I learned from those experiences and have a portfolio I'm quite happy with, despite it not being a 3-fund type. The downturn has recently allowed me to do a little cleanup in my portfolio as well to the point that I am finally tracking my "ideal" portfolio instead of both an "actual" and "ideal". Pinched my nose yesterday and made my regular monthly deposit into my taxable account. And from a psychological perspective, as I showed my DW the other day, we have 10+ years in relatively low-risk investments. Investment wise, while my portfolio is down just like most everybody else's here, it's just not bugging me. Probably because I've been saving like crazy over the last 10 years. This crisis, too, shall pass.

Job doesn't seem to be in danger, at least not in the near term as I just got a pretty darned good annual review. But been in my industry for a long time and know that things can change rapidly regardless of how well I'm personally doing. Again, though, it's just not bugging me. I'm near the end of my career anyway still feel we have plenty to weather a downturn till the inevitable recovery.

My daughter is home from college, doing all of her work online and seems to be doing fine and is staying home all day long with no desire to go out and about. Yay! Everybody at home is healthy and we hope to keep it that way. What else could I ask for?

What does worry me? I have a very large number of siblings, which also translates to a ton of nieces, nephews, great-nieces, great-nephews. I worry about all of them during this crisis: their health, their mental well being, their employment status, etc. Likewise for my last surviving aunt and my great aunt who is in her mid 90's as well as my cousins. Same with our circle of friends and their kids.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:33 am

Worried about health of age-80's parents.
Worried about age-20's children who are both still working and coming into contact with dozens per day as essential employees.
Worried about my job and job market in general if this stretches on. Worried about having to lay off some of my employees - hate doing so.
Not worried about the stock market - it will eventually come bouncing back.

grettman

Post by grettman » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:36 am

Firemenot wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:10 pm
I’m 43 and 100 percent in stock. Not losing any sleep at all with respect to my personal financial situation.
+1

49 here... 95% stock.

Am I thrilled about the drop? No.

Am I losing sleep? .... absolutely not.

I’m rather disconnected from it emotionally.

If anything, I am tamping down the urge to take more risk.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:41 am

I'm 33, with a 75/25 AA.

I'm very worried about the health and well-being of my family and friends. The drop in the market, on the other hand, is no big deal.

However I am sure that folks who have lost or expect to lose their jobs will be experiencing disruption of their saving plans or having the size of their EF tested. So I'm not arguing that no one should be bothered. But I'm not bothered.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:45 am

Portfolio-wise, I’m not worried at all. Literally haven’t logged in to check my balance since all this started.

Obviously there are other concerns, but I don’t think that’s what you were asking about
“There is no problem so bad you can’t make it worse.” - Chris Hatfield, Astronaut mantra

New Providence

Post by New Providence » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:57 am

heyyou wrote:

Is anyone else unperturbed these days?'
I would be more worried had 2009 played different. But now we know that we have a somewhat planned, central government in charge of bailing out the economy.

Chicken Little

Post by Chicken Little » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:58 am

heyyou wrote:

From strictly an investing standpoint (nobody wanted a pandemic, right?)...

I doubt most of the experienced investors on here are worried at all, because of the extremely powerful conditioning of 2000 and 2008. The rhythm of those events is ingrained in all of us (in ways that are nearly impossible to truly account for). There is what, a 40-50% decline and a V-shaped recovery. The weak hands get flushed out, and everybody else has more money when it ends because of the crisis. Three things would change that perspective;

1. A steeper drop. If stocks dropped 80-90%, then most of the experienced investors on here who currently don't have a care in the world would be terrified.

2. A different shape. Anything other than a sharp V would rock a lot of experienced investors worlds.

3. Inflation. Largely a rumor in my cognizant lifetime, and non-existent in my investing lifetime. I don't believe that most experienced investors really know what it is anymore.

Those things seem very unlikely. We live in a different (not better?) world. There is talk that this event is depression like. What was that equity drop, 90%? That probably can't happen, because if it were to head for that low, the fed/treasury/congress would find a way to purchase a large slice of the market (which would undoubtedly continue the creation of novel problems).

I like the posts from the old-timers who have seen it all; depression, 1970's. It doesn't mean I won't capitulate if this turns out to be anything other than bargain hunting for me, but at least I'll know some other humans will probably hold fast and come out OK.

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:08 am

My brother has a baby on the way and just got laid off. He lives paycheck to paycheck. I see so many people in this type of situation. If I look at my financial picture I realize I can lose 90% of my portfolio and still be better off than most people. This brings me peace but I am concerned about my health and that of my coworkers, my parents and in-laws, and the elderly and hospital staff in my community.

FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:16 am

ScubaHogg wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:45 am
Portfolio-wise, I’m not worried at all. Literally haven’t logged in to check my balance since all this started.

Obviously there are other concerns, but I don’t think that’s what you were asking about
Also not worried. I've been tax-loss-harvesting and thinking whether I should shift to a more conservative AA after we recover, but I don't mind waiting for that.

And thank you. The OP was obviously about the impact on one's portfolio. So many non-responsive posts that do not mention financials at all. Can we just take it as a given that most people are at least somewhat worried about the social impacts without needing the performance of writing it in every thread?

Chicken Little

Post by Chicken Little » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:20 am

FoolMeOnce wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:16 am
ScubaHogg wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:45 am

Also not worried. I've been tax-loss-harvesting and thinking whether I should shift to a more conservative AA after we recover, but I don't mind waiting for that.

And thank you. The OP was obviously about the impact on one's portfolio. So many non-responsive posts that do not mention financials at all. Can we just take it as a given that most people are at least somewhat worried about the social impacts without needing the performance of writing it in every thread?
The impulse is to say "how can you worry about money at a time like this?"

Of course, this is the place you come to worry about money.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:46 am

HomerJ wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:55 pm
heyyou wrote:

I don't care at all... It's amazing... 45/55 Asset Allocation makes it easy.

My wife cares though... so it's not totally stress-free... (But's she MUCH better this time than 2008)
Approximate age at 45/55?

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:16 am

I think I’ve become numb to the market gyrations at this point. I was watching the market yesterday and I thought, “oh we’re only down 4% - that’s not that bad”.

I feel grateful and fortunate to still be employed, receiving full pay and benefits while working from home. I worry for the many who can’t say this.

I feel grateful and fortunate to be healthy and that all close friends and loved ones can say the same. I worry for the many who can’t say this and worry that sooner or later someone I know is going to test positive.

I feel sorrow for all who have already experienced a loss.

Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:27 am

runner3081 wrote:
I would think that healthcare jobs would be the most stable at this time. what factors are causing the worry?

zuma

Post by zuma » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:34 am

Keenobserver wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:27 am
runner3081 wrote:
I would think that healthcare jobs would be the most stable at this time. what factors are causing the worry?
Not all healthcare jobs are stable.

Hospital system furloughs 500 workers amid financial strain

Meaty

Post by Meaty » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:35 am

Firemenot wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:10 pm
+1. A little younger but am not only 100% stock but am also running the excellent adventure with 5% of assets
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink