How to get Toilet Paper ? seriously.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Wannaretireearly

Re: How to get Toilet Paper ? seriously.

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Haven't read all plys here ;)

We cannot live without our toto bidet seats. We save so much TP. Less clogs. More hygienic...No brainer.

You'll need an electrical outlet. So plan your potty well...
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
politely

Post by politely »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:02 am You'll need an electrical outlet. So plan your potty well...
There are bidets that work on water pressure. They are not as luxurious, and don't warm the water, but still work. I have both... and I prefer the electric, especially in the winter.....
BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson »

Wegman's had about 30 Charmin 12 pack jumbo rolls when the store opened at 7:00 AM today. I got one.

Wegman's keeps the six pack toilet paper available.
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:02 am Haven't read all plys here ;)

We cannot live without our toto bidet seats. We save so much TP. Less clogs. More hygienic...No brainer.

I use TP first and then the bidet.

I guess I have been using it wrong...never read the instructions.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

fareastwarriors wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:40 pm
Wannaretireearly wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:02 am Haven't read all plys here ;)

I use TP first and then the bidet.

I guess I have been using it wrong...never read the instructions.
Dude! Life will never be the same. Lol. It does not come w instructions...
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
anon3838

Post by anon3838 »

My local Target's "Household Paper" section looked like a ghost town at 6pm this evening. Rows and rows of completely empty shelves, from TP, paper towels, wipes...everything...sold out.

My forward-looking statement:
I'm thinking the market will start to recover when we've had fully stocked shelves ("everywhere") for at least 1-week straight.
Mactheriverrat
Location: Works on the Mississippi River on the barges. Live's in Little Rock, AR.

Post by Mactheriverrat »

BeachPerson wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:22 am Wegman's had about 30 Charmin 12 pack jumbo rolls when the store opened at 7:00 AM today. I got one.

Wegman's keeps the six pack toilet paper available.
So now you can figure a rough idea of how long it will last. See the advance section too.
https://howmuchtoiletpaper.com
Everything evolves. | May Every Sunrise Bring You Hope. May Every Sunset Bring you Peace.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

'My local Aldi store manager told me they are receiving some tp daily now, limited to 2 packages per person purchase allowed. She said that shipments do not meet full needs yet, but daily receipts will be available in the mornings when the store opens. The new store hours are 9AM to 6 PM locally. Suggest you be there when the store opens to get yours. I purchased last Saturday.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

We ordered TP from Amazon last night. No problems.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

Finridge wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:05 pm Make a bidet out of a water bottle. Google water bottle bidet.

Also see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ztH_07mHwc
I use an old shampoo bottle.. Hard to go wrong with anything...
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Just checked paper products at grocery store. They actually have some ! It hasn’t been there Since it first ran out almost 1.5 weeks ago.
MJS

Post by MJS »

F150HD wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:56 pm In a million years, did you ever think something like this would be a topic of discussion on this board?
The joke here on the Holland America Zaandam is: Whoever thought is would easier to buy weed than toilet paper in America? The free wine, sodas, beer and brandy help make being confined to a cabin tolerable.

Good luck finding toilet paper!
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B »

Dottie57 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:25 pm Just checked paper products at grocery store. They actually have some ! It hasn’t been there Since it first ran out almost 1.5 weeks ago.
I hadn’t seen toilet paper at stores in 2 weeks. Went to grocery store first thing yesterday am when they opened and they had several big packages and several small packages on the shelf.
investingholder

Post by investingholder »

In the DC/MD/NOVA area a place with multiple locations called Daycon Pro Centers has tons of TP and locations are now open to public.

It is a cleaning supply company.

It is not Charmin quality soft because it's normally for office buildings but it's there daily and plenty of it. Locations on their website. Might want to call ahead.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Went to Target this morning at 7:30am. The store manager was stocking toilet paper on the shelves. Target's own brand, Up and Up. We started chatting and when he told me he is the store manager, I told him I was very impressed he was on the front line. He mentioned some folks rip him a new one, that it is his fault all these paper products are out of stock. I gave him a tool to disarm those folks. We had a nice chat.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

Costco had TP this morning as well. 1 package to a customer
WoodSpinner
DelcoEE

Post by DelcoEE »

We may be seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. A clerk told me CVS re-stocks on Tuesdays. I dont know if that is true but I went to my local CVS today (Tuesday) and found some. It was a 24 hour CVS so perhaps they re-stocked in the very early AM..
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

Useful life skill .... how to make tp from newspaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNy16E-_PWo

He doesn't say so, but when you're done using it, put it in the waste basket.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Found 3 rolls in my backpacking supplies today. Purchased months ago.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

you can call your drug local store and find out the day truck delivers them , generally you will have better luck on those day in the morning . the stores with less traffic e.g CVS / walgreens or a local pharmacy .
Thanks!
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

rj49 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:27 pm I was stationed in Japan for a few years, and they do things right...
I pass through Narita twice a year. There every other stall is equipped with a bidet as you described. However there was also this big sign says " this is facilitated with recycled water" post next to it :oops:

I know they must treat the water before reuse. But just seeing that sign gave me some level of discomfort.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Dottie57 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:25 pm Just checked paper products at grocery store. They actually have some ! It hasn’t been there Since it first ran out almost 1.5 weeks ago.
WallMart yesterday morning.
Cleaned out.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

In my area its a matter of timing - they stock the shelf and then the shelf is cleared. I was laughing because we have a town facebook page - someone posted to the page that xyz store had TP - it only took 20 minutes before someone responded letting everyone know they had just sold out.

If you are really desperate you probably need a connection with someone at the store to score - have them text you when it comes into stock. Some folks assume it is first thing in the morning but one store near me gets a truck mid-day so there is one afternoon a week that you might stop by and get lucky.

The silliness has to end sooner or later - all the hoarders will eventually have their fill. I never knew how much we used in a week but now we are keeping track.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

40 years from now a little girl will open a closet.

"Grandpa, why do you have a closet full of toilet paper? That's enough for our whole school!"

"Well, dear, it was back in 2020, when ...."
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

Just check Walmart every so often. Had some in my cart two days ago, but it disappeared before I could finish placing the order. Today I was able to purchase a single large package of Cottonelle bath tissue right before it sold out just after Noon (Eastern). Expected delivery date is April 6.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Our grocery stores are (with the exception of paper) largely back to normal. Plenty of food stocked on shelves. Our Governor announced closed schools and nonessential business last Thursday which prompted the panic.

If things don't get worse we should hopefully be ok.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Summit111

Post by Summit111 »

Deep South here...all the TP you need...Stores have it...

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Guy on the corner today was selling " loosies" for a penny a sheet.
All the Best, | Joe
alex123711

Post by alex123711 »

I have had a bidet for over a year (no power required) and won't be going back. I'm surprised this crisis hasn't turned more people to bidets, as other people said they are more hygienic, cheaper and better for the environment. Lining up for toilet paper is ridiculous.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

"Livesoft" will be up to an amazing mind bending, "70,000" posts long before the TP shortage ends!!

Going to town tomorrow to pickup some RX's. Maybe find some TP as well. :confused
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

In recent weeks the toilet paper at my local publix would be stocked overnight and sellout usually within the first hour after opening in the morning. Today the cashier told me the toilet paper did not sell out until about 3 p.m. That's a sign that the panic buying is subsiding.
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

alex123711 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:12 pm I have had a bidet for over a year (no power required) and won't be going back. I'm surprised this crisis hasn't turned more people to bidets, as other people said they are more hygienic, cheaper and better for the environment. Lining up for toilet paper is ridiculous.
Bidets have been selling out, too. It has definitely introduced new people to bidets.

I can also report in my area that it seems like we are finally turning the toilet paper tide. Wegmans and Costco had toilet paper. Costco actually closed with several gigantic packages of Charmin still left over. Is this a true upswing in toilet paper, or is this a Dead Cat Bounce? Or dare I say it, a Dead Cat Mouse of toilet paper?
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

livesoft wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:49 pm 40 years from now a little girl will open a closet.

"Grandpa, why do you have a closet full of toilet paper? That's enough for our whole school!"

"Well, dear, it was back in 2020, when ...."
+1. That will be all the people in my vicinity who wiped out the local Costco to the extent that when you go to the store they have criers outside on a bullhorn announcing the following: "If you are here for toilet paper, napkins, paper towels, diapers, diaper wipes, regular wipes, turn around we have NONE". They did have water, rice and peanut butter which was in short supply just a week ago. A big sign is tacked on each aisle indicating the store will not accept exchanges or returns for all of the items listed above. :twisted: I'm looking forward to the deep discounting of those products in online marketplaces. :P
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
countdrak

Post by countdrak »

https://www.instok.org/

Let's you check store inventory for essentials near your location.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

Summit111 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:00 pm Deep South here...all the TP you need...Stores have it...

Summit
I have wondered if its a Northeast thing. I lived in South for a bit and someone once told me that buying milk eggs etc. before a snow storm or whatever was commonplace in Northeast. Not sure if there is any truth to that. I can't remember ever having shelves empty due to panic buying when I was in South. I am in Northeast now and have seen my share of empty shelves :happy
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

TheOscarGuy wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:29 amI can't remember ever having shelves empty due to panic buying when I was in South.
I have to presume that you have never experienced a hurricane in real life then. Or you don't buy beer.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

countdrak wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:05 pm https://www.instok.org/

Thank you, Thank you. I found from the website that a Target Store less that a mile from my house had some toilet paper. I went there at 7:00 this morning. There was virtually no one there and everyone kept their distance. I bought some toilet paper for a neighbor who is working from home. He fixes the fence joins our property, waters my lawn when I am away and generally is a good neighbor. I also stocked up on canned food, apples etc. I strongly suspect our Michigan Governor is going to extend the stay-at-home till the end of April. Michigan now has a total of 5,524 cases and the death toll is 132
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

livesoft wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:42 am
TheOscarGuy wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:29 amI can't remember ever having shelves empty due to panic buying when I was in South.
I have to presume that you have never experienced a hurricane in real life then. Or you don't buy beer.
No I haven't, thank god! Experienced hurricane I mean. I buy beer all the time :D
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Interesting website. It told me what I already knew -- that everything I wanted to buy was out of stock at all the nearby stores.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

In Hawaii, even a whisper or rumor or news of a far off approaching Hurricane or Tsunami, or shipping strike, will empty Cosco and other stores, including sheets of plywood and duck tape from the hardware stores.

I have been through some of the larger hurricanes, (Iwa and Iniki) in Hawaii and the danger is very real.
Hurrican Iwa was the worst for me. My neighbor's roof exploded and blew completely off. Electric poles layed on the streets like toothpicks.

The danger is real.
This is the way.

Looking4Answers

Post by Looking4Answers »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:48 am

Checking anything at Walmart says "Due to the increase in volume, walmart.com is no longer accurate for in store stock". It has always been that way, especially groceries.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

I have been checking the Costco site multiple times daily the past week for the Costco brand of 30 rolls. and it has been "out". Once it showed available but when I tried to place an order it said "not available in your zipcode". An hour ago I checked again and it was available (one per customer) and will be here in 2 days. $3 delivery charge. https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signatu ... 42093.html

UPDATE two hours later: Costco emailed and cancelled the order as they are really out of stock and forgot or something.

Plan to hit the store at 8AM tomorrow and see if we can grab some in the rush.
Last edited by BigFoot48 on Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Looking4Answers wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:10 am

Checking anything at Walmart says "Due to the increase in volume, walmart.com is no longer accurate for in store stock". It has always been that way, especially groceries.
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

I scored a 12-pack from Amazon/Whole Foods online today. First time since the crisis started! Previously, every time I would add toilet paper to my cart, I would get a message saying "This item has become suddenly unavailable."

Can't wait for my delivery in the next 2 hours! And I thought Amazon delivery drivers were on strike today?
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

alex123711 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:12 pm I have had a bidet for over a year (no power required) and won't be going back. I'm surprised this crisis hasn't turned more people to bidets, as other people said they are more hygienic, cheaper and better for the environment. Lining up for toilet paper is ridiculous.
I looked into getting a bidet a few years ago. Although it is widely believed that bidets are more hygienic than TP, I could find no studies that support this notion. No one has proved bidets are more hygienic. :!: Without going into details that might make readers uncomfortable, it seems bidets are additionally problematic for what I will call 'female hygiene'. :oops: And you need to buy TP anyway unless you're OK walking around with wet pants.

I guess it is a good idea for guys. Enjoy your bidet, but they are not for everyone.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson »

Target has been great! Picked up a twelve pack of toilet paper this morning. I arrived at 7:30 AM, and just one person in front of me for the 8:00 AM opening. Was able to get a double pack of Clorox wipes too.

Commercial cleaning companies are putting up signs to come to their offices for paper products and cleaning supplies.
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

We successfully had some TP delivered from Amazon yesterday. I think we tried to order it several weeks ago, right as things started to lock down. Original estimate for delivery was late April, but I think after some initial chaos Amazon's gears are moving again.

I've also heard reports locally of more niche stores having better supplies. Things like the local natural food store/vitamin cottage/neighborhood market - more food, and some paper products.

Worth a shot if you're in a tight spot, though I'd probably still call ahead.
Jim Profit

Post by Jim Profit »

Light does seem to be appearing at the end of the tunnel. Went to Safeway in Colorado today at 10am (they opened at 7am) and was surprised to see about 20 toilet paper packages of varying brands on the otherwise long & empty shelf. It was limit 1 so I figured out what the biggest available package was and bought it. Mentioned it to the checker, and he said that today was the first day in quite awhile that there weren't customers lined up outside before they opened at 7am.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

The Kroger grocery store and Costco had tp this weekend. I'm well stocked with food and tp and hope to not have to go to a store until May, but I will be missing fresh fruit and veggies by that time...
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

TheOscarGuy wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:29 am
Summit111 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:00 pm Deep South here...all the TP you need...Stores have it...

Summit
I have wondered if its a Northeast thing. I lived in South for a bit and someone once told me that buying milk eggs etc. before a snow storm or whatever was commonplace in Northeast. Not sure if there is any truth to that. I can't remember ever having shelves empty due to panic buying when I was in South. I am in Northeast now and have seen my share of empty shelves :happy
Yes, it's quite common. It's called "gotta get the bread, gotta get the milk". :P
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions