Are you still going to the grocery store or using a delivery service? Which?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
motorcyclesarecool

Re: Are you still going to the grocery store or using a delivery service? Which?

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:23 am

We have a local milk delivery service that also delivers general dairy products, eggs, frozen foods, and some fresh produce. I’m attempting to establish an account with them. Once we have freezer space, we’ll order meats, frozen pizza and veggies from Schwan’s. I’ll have to remember to give updates on how it works.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

sunny_socal

Re: Are you still going to the grocery store or using a delivery service? Which?

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:32 am

I'm still going to the grocery store and to costco. I'm living life much like before, just washing hands a bit more.

Looking at the raw stats, there's no reason to worry: (ie. the risk from regular diseases and from driving seems no worse)
https://ncov2019.live/data

Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:35 am

1. I can get eggs from a farmer that I know who holds them for me.
2. I can order some food from a local online artisan collective called Market Wagon
3. I stay away from the high-traffic big stores such as Costco, etc.
4. If I need to go to a store, I go to lower traffic stores only during Senior hours.

amp

Post by amp » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:24 pm

I collected my first drive-through pickup order today from Safeway. It was a relatively painless experience, they came out quickly once I arrived at the parking lot. However, they were out of quite a few things that were listed as in-stock on their website. I suspect their real-time inventory system is not as robust as some other stores so they mark things on their website as available when they really are not. They also made a few substitutions that surprised me, like subbing frozen green beans for edamame.

I tipped the woman who brought out the groceries 20%. It was a no-contact delivery but I left the cash in a plastic bag on the trunk of my car.
Last edited by amp on Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:38 pm

We are in an area with high infection rate and the state has shutdown everything but essential businesses. Home deliveries and curbside pickup are overwhelmed and mostly unavailable. Spouse and I have been rotating going into the grocery store once a week.

Just got back from a weekly run to the store and dropping food/groceries at in-laws and my parents. It has been hard to get them to follow the governor’s message for age 70+ to “just stay home” but I think the seriousness has sunk in.

For those in areas not yet hard hit, please get prepared now with (reasonable quantities of) food/meds/home first aid necessities and to stay home. This virus hit our area fast and hard. Friends are contracting it. Hospitals are overflowing. Healthcare providers have limited their practices.

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:06 pm

Not doing either at the moment. In our metro area, hospitals are rapidly approaching capacity with a number of plans underway to help alleviate that somewhat. As we are borderline into the higher risk category, we're just opting to hold off on either type of shopping for the next 2 weeks. After that, we'll reassess and probably do a grocery run at that point. We had done a 30-day grocery stocking just prior to it getting bad here, so we've got leeway for a quite a while. We're also getting certain items via our typical weekly Amazon order to keep future shopping trips a little shorter for the duration. I'd be okay with using delivery, but we'll hold off for a while anyway.

ladders11

Post by ladders11 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:30 pm

Stores around here have zero timeslots available to get delivery or pickup. Probably depends where you are located. I have to go out to the store unfortunately.

btenny

Post by btenny » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:54 pm

We have not been to the grocery store for 2 weeks. We are not sure what to do. We could use some groceries. We used to go to the store 2-3 times per week for small buys and once every 2 weeks for a major restocking. If needed we could skip going for 2-3 weeks more by eating out of our pantry. But that would be boring. We are both retired and in the at risk age bracket. We have several major grocery stores (Fry, Walmart, Costco, Safeway, Whole Foods, etc.) , within 2 miles so it is easy to check them out before committing to shop. So we can do in store shopping if needed.

Right now my wife is trying to use a shopping and delivery service (Instacart) from our local FRYs store (Kroger store). This store and service has been operating for 2+ years. We see them in the store with their big carts. So it is not a new deal. She spent 4 hours last Friday setting up a good list and entering it and pricing it ($120) at the various stores. She selected FRYs. She then spent another four hours on Saturday trying to get a delivery scheduled. Both tasks failed. She was going to give up.

Then Sunday AM she tried again with the same list and got the order placed. FRYs and Instacart accepted the order and promised a Thursday 9PM delivery. She said OK. Then Wednesday evening she got a Text message changing the delivery to Monday afternoon at TBD time. So not a firm order or time. We ordered milk and eggs and so forth so we planned to use some of this soon. I am convinced this order is a total bust and will never be finished correctly. But we are doing it now for benchmark. Sofar getting groceries delivered is not working.

Just a data point for now. I hope it gets better.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:09 pm

btenny wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:54 pm
If needed we could skip going for 2-3 weeks more by eating out of our pantry. But that would be boring.
Even before the current situation we have seen a number of friends and relatives go through a lot of "drama" in their lives.

We have been pretty lucky and my wife and I have a family saying, "Boring is good!".

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:14 pm

btenny wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:54 pm
We have not been to the grocery store for 2 weeks. We are not sure what to do. We could use some groceries. We used to go to the store 2-3 times per week for small buys and once every 2 weeks for a major restocking. If needed we could skip going for 2-3 weeks more by eating out of our pantry. But that would be boring. We are both retired and in the at risk age bracket. We have several major grocery stores (Fry, Walmart, Costco, Safeway, Whole Foods, etc.) , within 2 miles so it is easy to check them out before committing to shop. So we can do in store shopping if needed.

Right now my wife is trying to use a shopping and delivery service (Instacart) from our local FRYs store (Kroger store). This store and service has been operating for 2+ years. We see them in the store with their big carts. So it is not a new deal. She spent 4 hours last Friday setting up a good list and entering it and pricing it ($120) at the various stores. She selected FRYs. She then spent another four hours on Saturday trying to get a delivery scheduled. Both tasks failed. She was going to give up.

Then Sunday AM she tried again with the same list and got the order placed. FRYs and Instacart accepted the order and promised a Thursday 9PM delivery. She said OK. Then Wednesday evening she got a Text message changing the delivery to Monday afternoon at TBD time. So not a firm order or time. We ordered milk and eggs and so forth so we planned to use some of this soon. I am convinced this order is a total bust and will never be finished correctly. But we are doing it now for benchmark. Sofar getting groceries delivered is not working.

Just a data point for now. I hope it gets better.
Frustrating...
I used Instacart through Costco. It was my first time and it worked well. Are you a member there? It took 2 days instead of same day but most of items in my cart were filled. The prices were a bit higher than store but that's okay right now. It helped restock my house with some fresh veggies and fruits.

FYI, I'm in the SF Bay Area so things are pretty busy/bad here.

hmw

Post by hmw » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:35 pm

I still shop in person at our local supermarket every 5 to 7 days.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:44 pm

I go grocery shopping about once a week, usually visiting 2-3 stores (Whole Foods, Safeway or Giant, and a local business). On Saturday mornings I go to my local farmers market to get fresh salad greens. I don't use delivery services because I like to select my own foods.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:55 pm

We haven’t been able line up delivery from any of the normal places. We’re well stocked except for milk and produce, which we need more or less weekly. So we just signed up for a local CSA that does home delivery. Organic fruits and veggies. They also carry dairy and eggs.

If this works out, we should be good until we run out of toilet paper.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:56 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:44 pm
I go grocery shopping about once a week, usually visiting 2-3 stores (Whole Foods, Safeway or Giant, and a local business). On Saturday mornings I go to my local farmers market to get fresh salad greens. I don't use delivery services because I like to select my own foods.
Your farmers market is still running? Ours are all closed.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:59 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:56 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
DC, Maryland, and Virginia have identified farmers markets as an "essential business" because they provide food to the people.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:49 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:59 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
UpperNwGuy wrote:
DC, Maryland, and Virginia have identified farmers markets as an "essential business" because they provide food to the people.
What are farmers in Virginia growing in Jan/Feb/March? Maybe it is warmer there than I thought. Or is it from a greenhouse?

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:54 pm

A couple of times a week. That is routine for us.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." || Buy Total Stock until it hurts. Then find a way to buy even more!

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:55 pm

I was at the grocery store tonight and the atmosphere appeared calm. We even got toilet paper!
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." || Buy Total Stock until it hurts. Then find a way to buy even more!

Conch55

Post by Conch55 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:57 pm

We are still shopping in grocery stores. I went to four this morning, two offering senior hours. I am mindful of others, wiping carts, sanitizing hands when back in vehicle and cleaning purchased items when home. It's what we do, just more careful about it. Got everything on the list too.

dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:06 pm

I personally have been avoiding grocery stores, mostly because we stocked up well before the shutdowns in our area and I don't see the need to take additional risk. Unfortunately, my wife has been pretty lax about going to stores early in the morning before I wake up, so she has been grocery shopping a few times, which kind of defeats the purpose of me being so strict about it. I keep trying to explain to her that we need to take this seriously if we really want to be effective at not spreading the virus, but she does not do well being cooped up at home. It wasn't until yesterday when she heard coworkers in a virtual meeting talking about how they were only using door drop-off delivery services that she really internalized the need to stay home.

I've been saying from very early on that I didn't think the virus was going to be as bad as many people made it out to be, and that I thought the economic impact of shutting down could be worse. But even so, we either quarantine as a society or not. There's not a whole lot of benefit if infected people are all going to Costco and rubbing their hands on everything (I guess it protects the people staying home, so there's some benefit, but it just seems kind of silly to let people congregate in some places but not others). It especially boggles my mind that some places like the liquor store next to our apartment building are open because they sell water bottles, which I guess makes them essential. Last I checked, tap water was still considered safe by the CDC and widely available, and the Safeway down the street is arguably more essential and carries water as well. But because the liquor store is open, the crazy drunks that fight in the parking lot are out in force, congregating every single day. You'd think they mistook the coronavirus for a run on Coronas. The parking lot has been packed almost 24/7. This is in one of the major counties hit by the virus (although it looks like our cases are now increasing way less rapidly than the NYC region). I just don't get it.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:07 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:49 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:59 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
UpperNwGuy wrote:
What are farmers in Virginia growing in Jan/Feb/March? Maybe it is warmer there than I thought. Or is it from a greenhouse?
This is apple orchard country, so there are lots of apples from the fall harvest coming out of climate controlled storage. There are also butternut squash, hubbard squash, brussels sprouts, and root vegetables such as onions, shallots, carrots, sweet potatoes, rutabaga, turnips, beets, radishes, celery root, and parsnips. Leeks and kale are still harvested from the fields because there haven't been many hard freezes. Many of the farmers have "high tunnels" in which they grow mesclun, arugula, spinach, mini cucumbers, and (just recently) spring tomatoes. We have several stands that specialize in eggs from pasture-fed hens, and a couple of stands that sell frozen beef, lamb, pork, and chicken. Several dairy and cheese vendors have stands. One guy sells crab cakes. Two stands sell sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha, and other fermented foods. Three different bakeries sell artisan breads and pastries, and there are two stands selling handmade pasta. One stand sells homemade soups. A local coffee roaster has a stand, and now we have stands from local breweries and distillers — with samples! It's one of the best farmers markets on the east coast and only sells products from the Chesapeake Bay watershed (which includes Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, and Washington DC).

Shackleton

Post by Shackleton » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:14 pm

I live in a very small town (<2000 people in town, <4000 people in the general area) and the store can barely find enough employees to man the checkout, so there is no delivery option. DH has continued his 3X/week shopping trips.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:11 pm

I go to the grocery store when I need to, usually early morning when the stores should be cleanest, and shop with a list to minimize wandering around.

The stores have Plexiglas shields in front of the cashiers and red tape on the floor enforcing 6' spacing. Some won't take cash.

Before I leave home I take hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes. I take the credit card I will pay with and put it in a pocket separate from my wallet. I stopped using loyalty apps on my phone. I removed any loyalty / points tags from my keys and put them on a separate ring in the pocket with my credit card. When shopping I don't need to touch my wallet, keys or phone.

At the store I take a cart and wipe it down as best I can with a wipe. Before the cashier I use sanitizer on my hands. Take my groceries to the car and again sanitize my hands before opening the car door (keyless entry). Wash hands well when I get home. still concerns me the virus could be on some item, but hard to sanitize all food items.

This morning I saw some shoppers wearing what looked like wool gloves which is counter-productive since the gloves are porous and gloves are much harder to wash than hands.

Here is a list from our wonderful CBC on what works and what doesn't
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-19 ... -1.5501913

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:14 pm

a little off topic but Total Wine delivers. We did an order with them that went well a week ago, one day wait, but as of 3/26 our local store is closed and delivery and pickup are suspended. Other stores in-state don't deliver to us.

we did a major-store grocery delivery a week ago, got about half of our items. Trying tonight at 5 different stores, no pickup options, no delivery options including Instacart, for up to 2 weeks out, and no booking shown beyond that.

We've also tried going to the grocery store with poor results at least for our items, even/especially during senior hours. No coffee filters, no ice cream or frozen desserts or many frozen items at all. Absolutely no toilet paper or paper towels, dishwasher tabs or Tide. Limited availability of meat or fish; spotty dairy; lots of produce. That's at 5 different stores. Best for us was Trader Joe's with a 2 item or one cart limit and a half hour wait to get into the store limiting to 50 people at a time, We've changed our philosophy to buying what's available from what our preferred brands are.

I'm guessing from posts above that this may be very location dependent right now.

amp

Post by amp » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:47 pm

heartwood wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:14 pm
a little off topic but Total Wine delivers.
This is location dependent. Total Wine has a webpage up showing which stores deliver or have online ordering: https://www.totalwine.com/important-not ... tification

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:46 pm

heartwood wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:14 pm
a little off topic but Total Wine delivers. We did an order with them that went well a week ago, one day wait, but as of 3/26 our local store is closed and delivery and pickup are suspended. Other stores in-state don't deliver to us.
Thanks !

I just looked it up, and it seems like Total Wine has its own delivery service, separate from Instacart, and they show delivery times for my home. Woohoo ! Now if I can figure out how to order Roquefort and Camembert.

I saw last week that Instacart delivered from Total wine. But never was never showing any available delivery timeslot for me.
Even if I had managed to obtain one, there isn't a single red Bordeaux available for delivery. Instacart has a very small subset of inventory for every store it delivers from. My regular groceries involve trips at Costco, Trader Joe's, Safeway and Wal-Mart. Once in a while Target. The reason for so many trips is for specialty items carried only in each of those stores. It's been challenging to eat without those.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:06 pm

Curbside pickup and then wash ALL refrigerated/frozen items before putting them away (container and all, under hot water). Dry foods, and consumables stay in quarantine for 3 days. My mom is starting chemo next week and I cannot take any chances.

ladders11

Post by ladders11 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:09 am

Honestly just ventured out to the store, which as mentioned I kind of need to do because delivery is all booked up. I want to do my part and keep distances, acknowledging of course that I may be asymptomatic or others may be.

Blunt feedback: There's no way to keep everyone six feet away. A man was coughing. There were way more shoppers in the store, probably doing what I'm doing and cooking way more often, but it isn't possible to keep distance. In fact there was a man with blueprints discussing changes they're probably going to need to make to the checkouts.

Vagrant yelling at people on the sidewalk, not respecting distances, needed to jaywalk a five lane road to avoid.

I'm not sure how to avoid people any better, other than by stocking up next trip out.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:55 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:32 am
I'm still going to the grocery store and to costco. I'm living life much like before, just washing hands a bit more.

Looking at the raw stats, there's no reason to worry: (ie. the risk from regular diseases and from driving seems no worse)
Cancer isn't communicable, car crash deaths are also same I think. I am not able to follow your logic, there is no vaccine for folks who are older and who have pre-existing conditions it has a significantly higher risk. Why do you think there is no reason to worry?

virginiabirdie

Post by virginiabirdie » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:57 am

I shop local. My Trader Joe's is a MADHOUSE every day. So I drive to the local H Mart (an Asian Grocer) which is pretty empty. A perk: everyone there had mask and gloves. Workers and shoppers. While I was a little sad they haven't heard the call for people to donate PPE to hospitals (I'm in NYC), I felt a lot safer there because they were all taking it very seriously.

Also, I don't have a lot of choices. Our delivery service are overwhelmed. It's bad here.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:03 am

I really like what Costco is doing. They are limiting the number of people going into the store at a time. They have placed markers on the floor to show the social distancing spacing at the registers. They do not allow people to crowd the register. They have provided a plexiglass shield in front of their cashiers to protect them. They no longer use the convenor belt is possible. They sanitize their carts and you retain the same cart after they ring up your order.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

InvestingGeek

Post by InvestingGeek » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:27 am

Anyone here know where/how to get bread or all purpose flour. No bread available here or flour in stores. We've baked so much bread over the last couple of weeks, we've run out of flour. Making do with rice for now.

Doesn't seem to be available at Amazon online either.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:40 am

InvestingGeek wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:27 am
Anyone here know where/how to get bread or all purpose flour. No bread available here or flour in stores. We've baked so much bread over the last couple of weeks, we've run out of flour. Making do with rice for now.

King Arthur website is showing availability of most flour types and yeast (quantities are limited to 2 per item). The website notes shipping delays.

InvestingGeek

Post by InvestingGeek » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:42 am

HomeStretch wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:40 am
InvestingGeek wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:27 am

King Arthur website is showing availability of most flour types and yeast (quantities are limited to 2 per item). The website notes shipping delays.
Yes, those shipping delays stretch all the way into May last time I tried it. [Edited: actually it now says the item is temporarily unavailable. No flour anywhere :shock: ]

Thinking we should go up the chain further and get wheat to grind.
Last edited by InvestingGeek on Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:33 am

TheOscarGuy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:55 am
sunny_socal wrote:

Cancer isn't communicable, car crash deaths are also same I think. I am not able to follow your logic, there is no vaccine for folks who are older and who have pre-existing conditions it has a significantly higher risk. Why do you think there is no reason to worry?
I thought the same thing, especially since we are still in the early stages of this virus, in this country. I've been reading about young people having to be put on ventilators lately too, so it isn't just necessarily a problem for the elderly. I think something like 40% of the patients that end up being hospitalized are under the age of 50. At the end of the day, avoiding this virus has more to do with keeping our hospital beds/ventilators available than anything else. Once they fill up, doctors have to start deciding who dies and who lives, just like they've been doing in Italy the past few weeks.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:44 pm

We are pretty much in the hot zone, Long Island, NY, so I have not been eager to go out and shop for the past 2 weeks. I put in a "2 Day Delivery" and a "Same Day" Instacart order in at Costco on Tuesday the 24th and Wednesday the 25th.

The 2 Day order has not given me any indication yet of when it will ship and my Instacart order will supposedly be shopped this coming Monday afternoon. Keeping my fingers crossed that we will receive either. I have also ordered from Chewy and Petco for my pets several days ago but no indication yet as to when my orders will ship.

We really hope we don't get into a situation where we are fighting the cats for their tuna treats. :twisted:

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:25 pm

sunny_socal wrote:

I believe as of today, the daily death rate for covid is double
the average rate for driving accidents. Of course, driving accidents are not exponentially increasing every day.

As far as groceries are concerned, I did a curb side pickup with whole foods today. Ordered through app, drove in front of the store, popped my trunk, and my bags were loaded in. No interaction needed other than a friendly wave and thank you.

Any suggestions for safe unloading?

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:43 pm

mervinj7 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:25 pm
sunny_socal wrote:

Use gloves to unload. If it can stay outside freezer keep it in garage (its cold enough that keeping it out wont run the food) for 72 hours. Then start using it!

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:43 pm

mervinj7 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:25 pm
sunny_socal wrote:

Use gloves to unload. If it can stay outside freezer keep it in garage (its cold enough that keeping it out wont run the food) for 72 hours. Then start using it!

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:47 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
UpperNwGuy wrote:
I read that some of the farmers markets in my part of the world have converted to a drive-thru model.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:02 pm

TheOscarGuy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:43 pm
I wore gloves and took all the freezer and some fridge items (e.g. yogurt) out in the driveway, lysol'ed wiped them before bringing them inside. I left the rest in the car for a few hours but when I went back it was ridiculously hot in there. Next time, I will move it to the garage for quarantine (though its 70 in there as well, so I don't want food to spoil). At the very least, I can keep pantry items there for a couple of days. Where does the 72 hours come from?

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:04 pm

Grocery Store
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:15 pm

dboeger1 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:06 pm
It especially boggles my mind that some places like the liquor store next to our apartment building are open because they sell water bottles, which I guess makes them essential. Last I checked, tap water was still considered safe by the CDC and widely available, and the Safeway down the street is arguably more essential and carries water as well. But because the liquor store is open, the crazy drunks that fight in the parking lot are out in force, congregating every single day. You'd think they mistook the coronavirus for a run on Coronas. The parking lot has been packed almost 24/7. This is in one of the major counties hit by the virus (although it looks like our cases are now increasing way less rapidly than the NYC region). I just don't get it.
Alcohol withdrawal is very serious and can be fatal. Would you rather have them clogging up the emergency room given the current strain on hospitals?

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:30 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:39 am
Went to the store 10 days ago and very intentionally purchased enough food to last ~2 months. We can do without fresh produce until I feel comfortable going again.
I am at risk due to being age 60 plus a health condition and I have been self-isolating at home. I love salads and fresh vegetables but have been trying to stick to canned veggies for safety. My daughter bought me canned green beans but two of the four she bought have dents, and one of the dents is on the seam. In my area (coastal southern California), delivery on the items I need is non-existent, except for Whole Foods, and one of their employees tested positive quite recently. I have been craving Tate's walnut chocolate chip cookies but there's no way I'm going to shop in person for something that isn't very good for me! Two weeks ago I grabbed fire-roasted red peppers, olives, and artichokes at Costco (all in glass jars), and I still have some left. Very weird times.

sillysaver

Post by sillysaver » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:31 pm

Getting delivery or curbside pickup from any of the local grocery stores such as Whole Foods or HEB has become nigh-impossible. Every time I've tried for the past couple weeks, there are no times available. I did go early Sunday morning the other day, with my personal protection equipment. Many things I wanted were not in stock.

I signed up for a CSA box delivery from the company I used to buy from at the local Farmer's Market, and I continue to get meats and dairy delivered to me from local ranches. All my "support local agriculture" business has shifted to delivery easily.

downshiftme

Post by downshiftme » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:42 pm

bleach kills nasty germs and viruses. I mix this with a cleaner I got from Dollar Tree
BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT THIS. Mixing cleaning products can be fatal.
Never mix ammonia and bleach!

One of the most common hazards occurs when chlorine bleach is mixed with ammonia or acids. The combination of ammonia and bleach produces dangerous chlorine gas, which in small doses can cause irritation to the eyes, skin and respiratory tract. In large doses, it can kill. Chlorine gas, also known as mustard gas, was actually used in WWI & WWII.

One way this occurs is when people disinfect an area with bleach before cleaning. For example, you could use bleach to disinfect the sink area, then wash the dishes with an antibacterial dish soap which contains ammonia. If an area has been cleaned with other products, make sure the area is thoroughly rinsed with uncontaminated water before bleach is used.

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:19 pm

Lynette wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:08 am
My own unverified opinion is that bleach kills nasty germs and viruses. I mix this with a cleaner I got from Dollar Tree store and spray it on surfaces and then wipe it down with paper Towels. I could not find bleach at my local grocery store so I decided to go to Home Depot at 6:00 a.m. this morning. They had some paper towels and bleach.

I also bought some potting soil as I want to plant some seeds indoors. There was virtually no one there. Then I went to my local supermarket - senior hour. They were only allowing in a certain number of people at a time. I observed that there was no toilet paper. Fortunately I do not need any. Recently I took a gardening course and I want to do the practical now. I bought a few pans to cook the soil - apparently half an hour at 180 degrees will kill the bugs! I also bought some more seeds to plant. Rereading my gardening manuals and planning for spring is keeping me sane.

It was easy to keep my distance from everyone. Some people were wearing masks and looked a little stressed. To me the people who work in the grocery stores are some of the heroes during this pandemic.
downshiftme wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:42 pm
bleach kills nasty germs and viruses. I mix this with a cleaner I got from Dollar Tree

One of the most common hazards occurs when chlorine bleach is mixed with ammonia or acids. The combination of ammonia and bleach produces dangerous chlorine gas, which in small doses can cause irritation to the eyes, skin and respiratory tract. In large doses, it can kill. Chlorine gas, also known as mustard gas, was actually used in WWI & WWII.

One way this occurs is when people disinfect an area with bleach before cleaning. For example, you could use bleach to disinfect the sink area, then wash the dishes with an antibacterial dish soap which contains ammonia. If an area has been cleaned with other products, make sure the area is thoroughly rinsed with uncontaminated water before bleach is used.
Agreed with this. Bleach is an extremely powerful alkaline base (13 out of a 14 scale), which is a property that makes it an effective cleaner. Mixing it will cause it to react with the mixed product, reducing its effectiveness and potentially creating caustic gas byproducts.

If you want something clean, use undiluted bleach and rinse the residue off afterward with a distilled water/vinegar solution or alcohol.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:32 pm

I still go to the target flagship store. It was packed an no one was wearing masks or gloves. We are doomed.

I've gone just once and wore a p100 respirator mask and gloves. I'm probably low risk since my brother survived covid-19 and I'm under 40.

Wearing proper ppe, people sure do give u plenty of room. They assume u are infected. It's quite nice actually.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:19 am

mervinj7 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:02 pm
TheOscarGuy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:43 pm
I wore gloves and took all the freezer and some fridge items (e.g. yogurt) out in the driveway, lysol'ed wiped them before bringing them inside. I left the rest in the car for a few hours but when I went back it was ridiculously hot in there. Next time, I will move it to the garage for quarantine (though its 70 in there as well, so I don't want food to spoil). At the very least, I can keep pantry items there for a couple of days. Where does the 72 hours come from?
I think I read it on WHO or CDC cant remember which one. Here is a recent npr link:

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/18/81793460 ... d-surfaces

And NIH link:
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-res ... faces-days

I assumed since most groceries are inside a plastic bag that 72 hours is what you'd want.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:50 am

kevinf wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:19 pm
Lynette wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:08 am
My own unverified opinion is that bleach kills nasty germs and viruses. I mix this with a cleaner I got from Dollar Tree store and spray it on surfaces and then wipe it down with paper Towels. I could not find bleach at my local grocery store so I decided to go to Home Depot at 6:00 a.m. this morning. They had some paper towels and bleach.

I also bought some potting soil as I want to plant some seeds indoors. There was virtually no one there. Then I went to my local supermarket - senior hour. They were only allowing in a certain number of people at a time. I observed that there was no toilet paper. Fortunately I do not need any. Recently I took a gardening course and I want to do the practical now. I bought a few pans to cook the soil - apparently half an hour at 180 degrees will kill the bugs! I also bought some more seeds to plant. Rereading my gardening manuals and planning for spring is keeping me sane.

It was easy to keep my distance from everyone. Some people were wearing masks and looked a little stressed. To me the people who work in the grocery stores are some of the heroes during this pandemic.
downshiftme wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:42 pm

Agreed with this. Bleach is an extremely powerful alkaline base (13 out of a 14 scale), which is a property that makes it an effective cleaner. Mixing it will cause it to react with the mixed product, reducing its effectiveness and potentially creating caustic gas byproducts.

If you want something clean, use undiluted bleach and rinse the residue off afterward with a distilled water/vinegar solution or alcohol.
Thanks for the warning. I will take this into account. I decided to start some indoor seedlings. I had a spray bottle with water and the bleach solution next to it. I accidentally grabbed the bleach bottle and sprayed it on my seedlings instead of the water. I doubt if they will grow - not important - this amuses me and I learn a lot in the process

Thanks again for the warning.

Lynette