How are you supporting your community?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Olemiss540

Re: Bogleheads, I have a patriotic ask of you

Post by Olemiss540 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:55 pm

The most helpful thing you can do for these medical professionals is listen to them and stay in your house if at all possible.

Stopping the spread will be much more appreciated on potentially overwhelmed medical professionals assisting those already infected or in need of medical assistance.

Not to detract from the OP, but wanted to put it out there.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.

WhyNotUs

Re: Bogleheads, I have a patriotic ask of you

Post by WhyNotUs » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:58 pm

Care directive, DNR will be an issue for those with serious illness.

There was an article in a CO paper about a young Dr. at a public hospital in Denver with two young children facing this. She made a will and had a big talk with her husband.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: How are you supporting your community?

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:20 pm

I merged abyan's thread into the on-going discussion. The combined thread is in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.

The forum software does not change the post's title when merged, so each post will have the old thread's title.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

abyan

Post by abyan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:25 pm

Thank you.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:28 pm

abyan - May I also suggest that the lawyer pass along the link to Introduction to Estate Planning - The White Coat Investor? It's a very good resource that is dedicated to help medical professionals with their finances.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

student

Post by student » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:28 pm

SGM wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:56 am
We hired the son of a farm employee while he is home during the virus problem. He will be cleaning an old barn.

We continue to allow an essentially orphaned retarded man with suicidal tendencies and medical issues to live free in a very small apartment whenever he is let out of the hospital. When he reports suicidal statements we call 911. We arranged for him to receive food stamps and social security disability. He is no longer able to work or drive. He has been cheated out of his car.

We allow some friends to walk the farm as the local parks are quite crowded and they want to increase their social distancing and still exercise.

We rarely go out in public and don't shop until we run out of certain essentials.

We monitor an elderly lady who lives in a cabin next to the house. We will buy a rotisserie chicken which will last her a week. I give her yesterday's paper and pick her mail up for her daily.

It is not much, but I cannot go back to work, even though I still have a license to do so.

I no longer go out for coffee, but a friend brings over home brewed hot coffee in the morning and we sit outside on a heated porch with views of the sunrise and lots of trees.

I have given a friend venison pepper sausage bologna that supplied him and his wife 3 breakfasts last week. They live in an a community for the elderly and the cafeteria is shut down. They enjoyed it so much I will give him some additional bologna this Saturday.
God bless you. You are such a nice person.

abyan

Post by abyan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:29 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:28 pm
abyan - May I also suggest that the lawyer pass along the link to Introduction to Estate Planning - The White Coat Investor? It's a very good resource that is dedicated to help medical professionals with their finances.
Yes thank you!!

BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:38 pm

#1 Staying home
Not hoarding
Bought a bunch of 1 oz bottles/ingredients, mixed up a batch of hand sanitizer and distributed it to neighbors that couldn't find any.
Made an online donation to a couple of local food banks
My wife gave platelets a week or so ago
Left some good packaged snacks and "thank yous" in a basket, on our doorstep for UPS, Amazon, USPS and Fedex delivery folks.

canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:50 pm

I'm doing a matching donation to food banks every time I buy groceries.

abyan

Post by abyan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:37 pm

I see that combining my separate thread into this one effectively killed it. Last chance. Is anyone interested in helping out the medical caregivers with some financial advice? See my earlier post. Btw, see today's NYT for an article detailing exactly what I asked about last night. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/opin ... e=Homepage
Last edited by abyan on Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:47 am

The greatest contribution can be made by simply avoiding contact with people outside of the immediately family members living in your home. If you go outside maintain at least 6 foot distancing. I live in a part of the country with very few rocket scientists if you get my meaning, but still was stunned to see our neighbors had about 20 people at their house (in back yard) two nights ago celebrating their daughter's 17th birthday. This kind of behavior honestly makes me think we are fighting a losing battle with covid-19.