Don't pay full price for SiriusXM radio

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
8foot7

Re: Don't pay full price for SiriusXM radio

Post by 8foot7 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:11 pm

Just a general +1 on this, we've been paying $5 per month + tax for years now. I remember once a couple of years ago they attempted to call my bluff and I actually did end up cancelling, but they called the next day and offered the deal again. I don't recall trying to get it for as long as 12 months, generally settling for 5-6 months at a time, but in this environment I probably would insist on it as these types of 'luxuries' are the first to go when times get tight. But certainly no reason to pay more than $5 + tax each mo.

frequentT

Post by frequentT » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:44 am

Oh man, I am feeling ripped off. No chance for roadtripping, so this is ideal time to cancel.

These dolts don't answer their phone. No mail address. Hiding out from their customers. What a corporate culture...

Will have to give me cancellation notice by email.

scooter

Post by scooter » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:51 am

I negotiate the same price every year.

The app is also available in ipad or Iphone and I play Sirius radio in the house on Bose wireless Soundlink mini

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:56 am

frequentT wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:44 am
Oh man, I am feeling ripped off. No chance for roadtripping, so this is ideal time to cancel.

These dolts don't answer their phone. No mail address. Hiding out from their customers. What a corporate culture...

Will have to give me cancellation notice by email.
[Bolding added by me] That sounds frustrating. Sirius doesn’t make it easy to cancel in the best of times. But I have in the past found their Customer Service easily reachable by phone.

Perhaps there’s a pandemic going on and customer service levels have declined due to excess calls or decreased productivity resulting from remote work, state shutdown or employee illness.

scooter

Post by scooter » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:57 am

The app is included in the price and is available on Iphone or ipad and I play music in the house on Bose mini sound link wireless speaker that I move from room to room

SeeMoe

Post by SeeMoe » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:28 pm

I’m retired and don’t need music other than local stations when driving to the store. Have “ Music Choice” on Comcast TV, and that’s plenty for us. Nice to have now what with the dismal Wuhan Flu news of late.

Moe... :happy
"By gnawing through a dike, even a Rat can destroy a nation ." {Edmund Burke}

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:40 pm

beernutz wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:48 pm
This business model of making people haggle with online CS folks for a good deal is BS.
I agree. It's a scummy way to do business.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:44 pm

catdude wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:39 pm
I told their CSR that I needed to cancel my service because my subscription would be renewing at a much higher rate. He offered a rate of $11.99/month to keep me onboard. I was a bit tempted cuz I do like their POTUS/Politics channel, but I declined. He then said he'd check to see if there were other promotional rates he could get me. He came back on the line after a minute or so and said he could give me the $5 a month rate again. I said that was great, and then, inspired by my fellow Bogleheads, asked if I could have the $5 rate for a full year. He put me on hold again for a minute, and came back and said yes, I could have the rate for 12 months.
They should be ashamed of themselves for taking advantage of their customers this way. They should not force their customers to threaten to cancel to get a reasonable rate, and most people are not as well informed as Bogleheads, and most people are not that good or firm about negotiating.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:47 pm

mptfan wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:44 pm
catdude wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:39 pm
I told their CSR that I needed to cancel my service because my subscription would be renewing at a much higher rate. He offered a rate of $11.99/month to keep me onboard. I was a bit tempted cuz I do like their POTUS/Politics channel, but I declined. He then said he'd check to see if there were other promotional rates he could get me. He came back on the line after a minute or so and said he could give me the $5 a month rate again. I said that was great, and then, inspired by my fellow Bogleheads, asked if I could have the $5 rate for a full year. He put me on hold again for a minute, and came back and said yes, I could have the rate for 12 months.
They should be ashamed of themselves for taking advantage of their customers this way. They should not force their customers to threaten to cancel to get a reasonable rate, and most people are not as well informed as Bogleheads, and most people are not that good or firm about negotiating.
DirecTV is the same, if not worse. Complete waste of time every 12 months to do the song and dance, talk to 3 different people, threaten to cancel (sometimes they make you actually cancel, then they will call literally 10 times a day)

schuyler74

Post by schuyler74 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:05 am

My SiriusXM subscription was set to expire in 3 days. I just called them up on the phone and found out they're closed on weekends. The recording said customer service is badly delayed right now due to the economic shutdown and suggested writing an email or visiting the website instead.

Went to the site, found the pull-downs to CANCEL and three offers came up:
  1. 12 months of XM All Access for $99 (includes streaming, Howard Stern, and more live sports)
  2. 12 months of XM Select for $60
  3. 6 months of XM Select for $29.94
I chose #2. With a U.S. Music Royalty fee of $12.84, it came to $72.84 for one year, not bad.

Note: all subscriptions will auto-renew upon expiration at whatever the monthly rates are at the time.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:55 am

schuyler74 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:05 am
My SiriusXM subscription was set to expire in 3 days. I just called them up on the phone and found out they're closed on weekends. The recording said customer service is badly delayed right now due to the economic shutdown and suggested writing an email or visiting the website instead.

1. 12 months of XM All Access for $99 (includes streaming, Howard Stern, and more live sports)
I chose #2. With a U.S. Music Royalty fee of $12.84, it came to $72.84 for one year, not bad.

Note: all subscriptions will auto-renew upon expiration at whatever the monthly rates are at the time.
I just logged into my account, and had a generally similar experience.

My plan renewed in July 2020. The website would have allowed me to cancel immediately with a refund. It also offered me the three options above. I took the 12 month option, which pushes me out to late March 2021, for a net cost of $27.79 (including the refund of my prior, "high priced", plan) for extending my service by 9 months.

I really like the SXM app, which allows me to listen to Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, etc on my phone when I'm away from the TV.

Thanks, Bogleheads, for letting me know that I was paying too much for SXM and saving me some money.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:28 pm

mptfan wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:44 pm
No one is forcing people to pay the regular price and SiriusXM is not an essential service. If customers think it's too high and do not want to haggle, they are free to cancel. I don't know SiriusXM's finances but obviously they would not do very well if they lowered the price for everyone to $5 a month. I consider getting the discounted price a necessary evil.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:30 pm

Stream Amazon HD Music
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:53 pm

Toons wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:30 pm
Stream Amazon HD Music
:mrgreen:
A joke? At $13/mo, that would cost over twice what I pay for SiriusXM, not including the additional cost of data service.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:52 pm

MisterBill wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:28 pm
No one is forcing people to pay the regular price and SiriusXM is not an essential service. If customers think it's too high and do not want to haggle, they are free to cancel.
They are free to do business the way they do, and I am free to criticize them for it.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:53 am

So I'm not sure how desperate Sirius has gotten over the last couple of weeks/months. But I just renewed both vehicles for a year with the Select Package for $46/each. Didn't even have to go through the motions of talking to someone or doing the chat, just signed into my account, indicated that I wanted to cancel and selected "Show Me Other Offers."

Won't have to go through this song and dance until April 2021. Saved over $370 of what the sticker price would have been

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:19 am

^^^
Thanks fishmonger, good Karma to you.

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:26 am

fishmonger wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:53 am
So I'm not sure how desperate Sirius has gotten over the last couple of weeks/months. But I just renewed both vehicles for a year with the Select Package for $46/each. Didn't even have to go through the motions of talking to someone or doing the chat, just signed into my account, indicated that I wanted to cancel and selected "Show Me Other Offers."

Won't have to go through this song and dance until April 2021. Saved over $370 of what the sticker price would have been
$46/12 months?

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:28 am

schuyler74 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:05 am

I did the same, a day earlier. Then today I checked my credit card charges and saw that I was charged full price (about $21) on April 1st. I submitted a resolution request via the web site, which promises a response in two business days.

pahkcah

Post by pahkcah » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:13 am

A big THANK YOU to schuyler74 and others who previously mentioned the ability to choose options online. I was able to sign up for 12 months of XM Select at a total cost of $58.30 including taxes. This included a credit against my existing subscription. Thanks again everyone!

... another year of music in my "cah".

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:21 pm

pahkcah wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:13 am
A big THANK YOU to schuyler74 and others who previously mentioned the ability to choose options online. I was able to sign up for 12 months of XM Select at a total cost of $58.30 including taxes. This included a credit against my existing subscription. Thanks again everyone!

... another year of music in my "cah".
Ditto!!

I really appreciate this thread.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:30 pm

Sirius is offering free access through May 15 to its streaming content through its app and at siriusxm.com/streamfree. If you have Sirius XM Select or All Access, streaming is already included.

cowdogman

SiriusXM Renewal

Post by cowdogman » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:14 pm

I thought there was a thread with current Sirius XM offers but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, a reminder came up in Outlook that my SiriusXM subscription expires May 1 for one of my cars. So I went to the site expecting to have to have a call or chat to get a good price. Under the description of my car was a dropdown menu, and in the dropdown menu was "I want to cancel" (or something like that). I chose that menu item and was given three offers, one of which was 12 months at $60. I chose that, paid and then did the same for my other car. Now both cars are on the same expiration date and next year I can deal with both at once. (And yes, I did get credit for the unused portion of the old subscription for each car.)

Much better than doing the "I want to cancel" dance on chat or on a call.

Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:29 pm

Threads have been merged.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:40 pm

fishmonger wrote:

I'm kicking myself reading this discussion-my Sirius subscription came up for renewal at the beginning of March; it didn't autorenew because I cancelled the card it was billed to (card got hacked, not to spite Sirius). Got a call, listened to blahblahblah and without even looking at the website I renewed for the pretty crummy Mostly Music package that's costing me $10.99/month. Lost a few stations I really like and it's very restricted. But am I stuck now for a year??

UPDATE: Read the discussion here, went online, followed the cancellation prompts...and now have Sirius Select for $60! Got a big credit and next time I'll know what to do instead of being foolish and not paying attention.

Bogleheads are the BEST :greedy
Last edited by pennywise on Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajkown1

Post by ajkown1 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:48 pm

I have been a customer a Sirius customer for 15 years and have repeatedly cancelled then got a better rate. the last few years I have cancelled then waited for them to mail me a sweetheart deal which they always have. I love the service but would prefer to pay a more fair price consistently then play the cancel then beg to get me back game.

frequentT

Post by frequentT » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:58 pm

I called to cancel my serviced but they were 'too busy' to answer. I used this email address to cancel:

listenercare@siriusxm.com

I got a confirming email this morning confirming cancellation.

When I get the low ball teaser offer by mail, I will take it with a one time use credit card.

Hopefully by then travel will be possible.

Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:09 pm

You don't have to call or chat now. I logged in my account this morning and clicked to cancel my subscription. It asked if I wanted to look at other offers. You bet. It gave me a full year for $5 a month. Easy enough and only took a few minutes.

freight_train

Re: SiriusXM Renewal

Post by freight_train » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:00 pm

cowdogman wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:14 pm
I thought there was a thread with current Sirius XM offers but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, a reminder came up in Outlook that my SiriusXM subscription expires May 1 for one of my cars. So I went to the site expecting to have to have a call or chat to get a good price. Under the description of my car was a dropdown menu, and in the dropdown menu was "I want to cancel" (or something like that). I chose that menu item and was given three offers, one of which was 12 months at $60. I chose that, paid and then did the same for my other car. Now both cars are on the same expiration date and next year I can deal with both at once. (And yes, I did get credit for the unused portion of the old subscription for each car.)

Much better than doing the "I want to cancel" dance on chat or on a call.
Thank you for posting this! I just did it and it was super easy. This is the first I've ever heard the "cancel/renew" dance was available online! Now if they'd just cut their price altogether and knock off the games...

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:20 pm

mptfan wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:40 pm
beernutz wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:48 pm
This business model of making people haggle with online CS folks for a good deal is BS.
I agree. It's a scummy way to do business.
Just like a dealership. But you come out thinking you got a deal.

Anyway, I usually play along. I think it's that time again thinking about it.

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:32 pm

I am surprise that SiriusXM it is still in business, I used it many years ago. I liked it but not that much to continue paying for it. Free smart phone apps are good enough for me now.

Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:06 pm

Does the online cancel/special offers method require a credit card or can one select invoice be sent?
Rocket science is not “rocket science” to a rocket scientist, just as personal finance is not “rocket science” to a Boglehead.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:04 pm

Our Honda has the ability to skip and rewind XM broadcast. You can listen to talk or news and blow through the commercials.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:08 pm

Seriously? I am definitely going to take a look. The subscription for one of our vehicles is due for renewal in the middle of this month, and I had a reminder to make that annoying, every-six-months call to a CS representative.
Flyer24 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:09 pm
You don't have to call or chat now. I logged in my account this morning and clicked to cancel my subscription. It asked if I wanted to look at other offers. You bet. It gave me a full year for $5 a month. Easy enough and only took a few minutes.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:17 pm

EddyB wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:26 am
fishmonger wrote:

$46/12 months?
Yup, I was shocked too, took all of 5 minutes of my time. Next renewal date is April 2021

Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:47 pm

CardinalRule wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:08 pm
Seriously? I am definitely going to take a look. The subscription for one of our vehicles is due for renewal in the middle of this month, and I had a reminder to make that annoying, every-six-months call to a CS representative.
Flyer24 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:09 pm
Don’t wait. They will credit you back for unused portion. Mine had just renewed on April 1st and they gave me back all but $2.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:55 pm

Thanks - done for both of our vehicles. $60 Select for one and All Access for the other (I like the play-by-play for my faraway Arizona Cardinals, among other things). Got a quick email in response:

westie

Post by westie » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:58 pm

I did the $60 for 12 months the other day, wife wanted it ...meh. Only advice I would give would be choose whatever cheap subscription that has the longest terms. It's a PITA to call and go through the retention department.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:21 pm

westie wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:58 pm
I did the $60 for 12 months the other day, wife wanted it ...meh. Only advice I would give would be choose whatever cheap subscription that has the longest terms. It's a PITA to call and go through the retention department.
I make "the call" when there's nothing else better to do. I find it takes at least 30 minutes from start to finish.