Making 2020 profit sharing contribution now

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
liontamer

Making 2020 profit sharing contribution now

Post by liontamer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:34 pm

I have an S-Corp through which I have set up a Solo 401k. My plan is to take the maximum salary deferral, plus contribute 25% of salary as profit sharing in 2020.

My question is: can I contribute the entire 25% profile sharing amount for 2020 today? If so, what's the best way to fix any overpayments that may result from an unanticipated reduction in salary later in the year?

Cubicle

Re: Making 2020 profit sharing contribution now

Post by Cubicle » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:07 am

I front load my solo 401k on January 03rd for the past 2 years. But there is a huge risk if I don't make the appropriate amount of money. Fortunately I have been enough over the income needed to qualify for the maximum contribution limit for several years now.

I have only read that undoing contributions is a messy, sometimes impossible, task. I cross my fingers for you that SpiritRider chimes in.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓