My treadmill broke. Now what?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mmcmonster

My treadmill broke. Now what?

Post by mmcmonster » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:57 pm

So I've had a treadmill that broke and I'm not sure what to replace it with.

I'm in my late 40s and not a very athletic person, but do enjoy going on the treadmill daily for 40-50 minutes. For the last few months I wished I had something for my upper body as well.

My first thoughts were either a new treadmill or an elliptical. Any models you would recommend? Space is a little of a concern, but I can make space for something a little bigger than I have now, if I feel it's worth it.

Is there a better option for me?

I understand that an elliptical is a little lighter on the knees.

I heard that rowing machines are bad on the back for someone my age, so probably not that. (This is a big concern for me, as my job tends to give me a little back pain at times.)

My goal is 40-50 minutes of cardio workout, to improve stamina, slightly build muscle mass, keep my metabolism going, and lose a few pounds.

Cheez-It Guy

Re: My treadmill broke. Now what?

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:59 pm

I recommend a road.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:00 pm

Just bought a Concept 2 rower. Love it!
Built like a tank and easy to move or store.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:01 pm

Sole F80 was a recent recommendation

viewtopic.php?t=305508

windaar

Post by windaar » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:03 pm

A good pair of running shoes and some 10-15 lb dumbbells?
Nobody knows nothing.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:05 pm

My treadmill broke over last summer. I started a similar thread about what to replace it with - and I have not.

Instead: started lifting weights. Now I alternate between weight lifting and running outside. I do have an elliptical that I dusted off and use when weather does not permit outdoor running.

Topic Author
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:07 pm

Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:59 pm
I recommend a road.
I really don't like exercising outside. I'm quite self conscious about both my weight and my stamina (the idea of others seeing me walk when I should be jogging bothers me greatly). Whatever I do has to be in the comfort of my own basement.

I also find exercising deadly boring. The only way I can get through it is by watching TV at the same time. Listening to music or podcasts doesn't work for me. :(

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:10 pm

Understand. I didn't catch all that context.

Topic Author
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:15 pm

mortfree wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:01 pm

viewtopic.php?t=305508
Thanks.

Any good elliptical recommendations? Or is anything from Sole good?

Dantes

Post by Dantes » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:17 pm

Try to find a gym that has free a free introductory workout, so you can see what an elliptical feels like. I used to prefer them to treadmills; its more of a workout than walking on a treadmill, and provides some upper body action as well. It might take a few sessions to get used to one. I'm not very coordinated, and it took me awhile to feel comfortable on one. But I know someone who never got to like the ellpitical, so maybe its not very everyone.

Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:17 pm

Elliptical will allow you to work upper body, lower body simultaneously. Current tech includes programs for hills, glute kicker, arm blaster, etc to give some variety. You can also pause the elliptical to do free weights or body weight exercises and return to the program.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:18 pm

Look on Facebook marketplace and buy a used elliptical from the last gym that went bankrupt. Much better than the homeowner stuff if you don't overpay.

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:18 pm

Also, how exactly did it break? Maybe it can be fixed. YouTube is great for stuff like this.

Silverado

Post by Silverado » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:19 pm

Small question: how broke? Major mechanical, electrical gremlin, etc. Some things are quite easy to repair...sometimes.

A rower is something I find intriguing. I am a hit the road runner type, but have thought about some alternatives.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:21 pm

Please buy something. I'm pretty sure I own a piece of whoever your buy it from.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.

beyou

Post by beyou » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:22 pm

Years ago I bought an elliptical trainer and regret it. Too easy unless you are injured.
I had knee and ankle injuries that make running painful next day and ongoing (until I forget the pain and try again stupidly).
No pain with the elliptical but also much less cardio benefit IMO. I barely feel tired no matter the settings on an elliptical.

Better than nothing, but I prefer to go to the gym, and use a huge stair climber (more vertical space needed).
Stair climbers give you a great workout and less taxing on knees/ankles.

I don't find any back issues with elliptical nor stair climbers, I think they help.
I have heard it can be an issue running but to me all cardio seems to help my back, just the legs can't handle running.

Check out stair climber if you have high ceilings.

https://fit4lessusa.com/shop/stairmaste ... wUQAvD_BwE

https://gym-experts.com/products/stairm ... 0oQAvD_BwE

PRMECP

Post by PRMECP » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:24 pm

mortfree wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:01 pm

viewtopic.php?t=305508
That is the model that I have. I has not disappointed
Yes, I like PRIMECAP. A lot.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:25 pm

I see lots of used exercise equipment on Nextdoor and Craigslist at good prices - FWIW.

Topic Author
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:30 pm

Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:18 pm
Also, how exactly did it break? Maybe it can be fixed. YouTube is great for stuff like this.
Good point!

The house circuit breaker trips when I start the motor. (Drive motor fault?) I don't feel comfortable fixing/replacing that myself. The last time we had a problem and had to get it fixed (in 2012), the total cost was ~$600 (parts and labor). At this point, I think it's not worth doing that again.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:46 pm

Check Craig's List.

It seems some pieces of exercise equipment are hiding out posing as clothes valets! Much less wear and tear on the machines.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:48 pm

There's a recent post/thread on treadmills. Search the forum.
I recently bought a SOLE F80. Still waiting for delivery.
Flex Deck so impact is greatly lessened.

I had a gym PT quality treadmill many decades ago given to my by my physical therapist. Lasted forever until the motor burned out. I replaced the motor and used it until I passed it on.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:51 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:46 pm
Check Craig's List.

It seems some pieces of exercise equipment are hiding out posing as clothes valets! Much less wear and tear on the machines.

Broken Man 1999
Exercise equipment and lawn tractors: people buy these brand new with great intentions. 30-60 days later, reality sets in and they are no longer being used. Often the used equipment is lightly used.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:55 pm

I have an Epic elliptical that I bought from Costco maybe 15 years ago. It has worked well with no paid maintenance. I do the things in the manual which is just cleaning and lube and checking tightness. It has been a good buy.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:21 pm

Freefun wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:00 pm
Just bought a Concept 2 rower. Love it!
Built like a tank and easy to move or store.
+1

I have one and is a very good cardio workout. It uses almost every muscle. It won't "build" muscle but will make you more "athletic" for lack of a better term. Its a hell of a workout. I bike, use dumbells, kettlebells, abs, etc. This is a vital part of my workout. No need EVER for a gym with a small amount of equipment. A Concept 2 is cheaper than a treadmill and will outlast any treadmill ever made...

Bob

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:31 pm

If you are managing 40-50 minutes of TM per day, you are doing great, and deserve a reliable treadmill!

The other devices mentioned (rowers, bikes, etc.) are perfectly fine for cardio, but you already are a walker or runner. I highly recommend you continue to run if you can - run/walking is the most useful and has the most quality of life impact of any of the motions (more than bike, row, or swim) since it translates DIRECTLY to daily movement and activity. I would not replace running if I were you - you can add the others to running, but preserve your running ability while you have it and can do it.

If you are running (not walking) on it, even slowly, get something in the $1500-$2000 range (or up if you like to splurge.) Sole F80 is the one I have, is a no-frills workhorse, even for competitive athletes, so you'll do fine on it.

If you are walking only, then a $1000-$1500 TM will work fine due to less load, heat and sweat subjected to it.

If you are still running without injury and anticipate running for more years at least without injury, do NOT go elliptical. Take advantage of your good joint health and natural run motion, and RUN. It is far more physiologically relevant and useful to real-world activity than the elliptical (which has essentially zero translation to any real-world motions.) I would only get the elliptical if you know you have significant joint arthritis with pain when you run that you know will end your running in the next few years.

Avoiding running does NOT preserve your joints, contrary to what a lot of folks incorrectly think. Most of the evidence of studies on those who can run into old age, seem to show that moderate regular running is the best thing to continue the ability to run into your later years. Avoiding running doesn't protect a person with good joints from developing arthritis. (If you have advancing arthritis, you should probably not run into your pain zone, though, as that will accelerate it.)

You can peruse used TMs, but I seriously would not recommend it, contrary to the advice given above. Unless you know exactly what you are getting (super reliable user, well taken care of), the sheer size and weight of the TM will make it prohibitive to get rid of if it's not working well or not exactly what you want. (Think hundreds of dollars to dispose of it.)

I use TMs a LOT, and run both competively and for recreation, and have been doing so for 25+ years. I also bike and swim a lot, also as a serious triathlete, so I'm not lying when I talk about the quality of life utility of running exceeding that of nonimpact cycling or swimming (honestly, it's not even close, and I love bike/swim and do it really hard!)

Trust me - if you can afford it, get something $1500 or up range, and enjoy your health and fitness, as you've built up a good habit that will keep you in good health for a long time. Running is a joy, and not to be taken for granted by anyone 40+, as it can end abruptly for a variety of reasons.

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:51 pm

mmcmonster wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:30 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:18 pm
Good point!

The house circuit breaker trips when I start the motor. (Drive motor fault?) I don't feel comfortable fixing/replacing that myself. The last time we had a problem and had to get it fixed (in 2012), the total cost was ~$600 (parts and labor). At this point, I think it's not worth doing that again.
Breakers can also wear out or have other problems. Try on an outlet you know is on another circuit to help isolate the problem.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:59 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:48 pm
There's a recent post/thread on treadmills. Search the forum.
I recently bought a SOLE F80. Still waiting for delivery.
Flex Deck so impact is greatly lessened.

I had a gym PT quality treadmill many decades ago given to my by my physical therapist. Lasted forever until the motor burned out. I replaced the motor and used it until I passed it on.

j :happy
Treadmill is great for the winters when weather is not ideal. Someday hopefully we will be in a hot environment only.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

CharacterCounts

Post by CharacterCounts » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:46 pm

We use a Landice L7. Have used it regularly for 15 years or so. Comes with a lifetime warranty on parts. Expensive, but has held up to serious use. Glad we spent a little extra on it.

Robert The Bruce

Post by Robert The Bruce » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:42 pm

We have a Vision 7200 elliptical https://youtu.be/YNm_17RdJMg and love it! I use it for 60 min, every other day. I don’t know how someone could use the thing and not experience a workout. The hand position options work for me, on some elepts I am not comfortable holding on for an hour but with this one that’s not a problem.

I used to love to run but my back can’t take it. And I know running is good for bone strength, but hopefully I do enough weight work and hiking to compensate.
The stone age didn't end for lack of stone.

Garfieldthecat

Post by Garfieldthecat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:22 am

CharacterCounts wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:46 pm
We use a Landice L7. Have used it regularly for 15 years or so. Comes with a lifetime warranty on parts. Expensive, but has held up to serious use. Glad we spent a little extra on it.
+1

Have a Landice treadmill for probably about 10 years now, trained for a marathon with it. Nothing wrong with running inside vs outside on a road.

On a treadmill, you get better temps (no freezing cold or super hot temps), no pollen or smog, and it's more forgiving to run on then concrete. Plus you can listen to music safely if that's your thing, or watch TV. And the bathroom and drinks are always available. :D

five2one

Post by five2one » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:56 am

mmcmonster wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:07 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:59 pm
I recommend a road.
I really don't like exercising outside. I'm quite self conscious about both my weight and my stamina (the idea of others seeing me walk when I should be jogging bothers me greatly). Whatever I do has to be in the comfort of my own basement.

I also find exercising deadly boring. The only way I can get through it is by watching TV at the same time. Listening to music or podcasts doesn't work for me. :(
Just hold the hell on about feeling self-conscious. I'm a big fitness guy and people like you motivate the hell out of me. Yes, that is right. Everyone has something they are fighting in life even though most folks see me as fit, tall, lucky, whatever. When I started lifting I was motivated by seeing others around me who were pushing themselves to be the best version of themselves.

NEVER feel like you don't have a place in the fitness world or track or whatever, because even those of us doing this for 30 years need you to be out with us. This is no different than me when I look at someone who is just crushing it in the gym and makes ME look weak. You help give others inspiration and you get some inspiration....it is kinda like the penny dish at the cash register.

Fitness isn't about being skinny (ever heard of "skinny fat"?) or fat (ever heard of Endomorph?), it is about mastering control over your mind, body, and spirit.

Never ever quit; inches equal miles.

galving

Post by galving » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:03 am

If you're looking to switch from a treadmill to elliptical. . . consider a Precor, we bought one in 2003 dragged it around the USGC over to Europe and back. It survived at least 5 moves. In 17 years, we serviced it once, and have just recently given it to a friend.

The elliptical is significantly easier than a treadmill at the same speed, I had to wear a heart rate monitor and increase the resistance of the elliptical to get an equivalent workout.

I'm sure that there's less expensive models out there, though given the Precor experience, I'd buy one again.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:10 am

You could buy a used one. There are many low use machines available on the used market ;)
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:51 am

Jump rope... hard to break, travels easy
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

GlennK

Post by GlennK » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:01 am

I highly recommend an arc trainer over an elliptical. At my gym, they have both and I like using the arc trainer more. Allowing the steps to be elevated "sort of" combines a step climber with an elliptical. Studies have shown it is a better calorie burner than the elliptical.

Also, when using an elliptical or an arc trainer, do not simply get on a pace and keep it there for any period of time. The best benefits are when you change your levels and your speed. Do a high speed for a minute, then come back to a comfortable pace. Then increase the level and keep the same pace or increase your pace.

The machines at my gym have various recorded exercise routines. The moderate HIIT seem to give me the best workout. Perhaps you can find one of these on youtube and mimic it while using your arc trainer/elliptical.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:17 am

I have a spinning bike (compact for space) and a set of adjustable dumbbells (5-50 lbs with dial). You can work your arms with various exercises on the spinning bike. You can spend $200 to $3,000 on a spinning bike. Mine was $100 from craigslist. Was used a couple times and forgotten by the original owner.

With those two options and outside for running and biking, you can do a ton of workouts.

You also have body weight exercises like pushups, situps, ab leg lifts, squats, glute lifts, etc etc.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

Toadandfriends

Post by Toadandfriends » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:10 am

I also find exercising deadly boring and I like exercising in my house. I recommend trying the streaming program Daily Burn for a month free and check out their 365 program. Since there is a new workout every day it isn't boring. They also have five, 10, and 20 minute workouts (cardio, core etc) that you can add on if you want more. It is mostly body weight (which helps avoid injury) but you can also add light weights to the workouts. Since their trainers include core/strength/cardio I get a much better overall workout then with cardio alone, and I do not have the willpower to workout on my own without someone telling me what to do :wink: All the core and stability work is so helpful for back issues.
Best to you.