How Is Your Job Being Impacted By The Current Crisis?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
corysold

Re: How Is Your Job Being Impacted By The Current Crisis?

Post by corysold » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:22 am

Might be worth researching whether your job is considered "essential" or not.

Illinois is going into shelter in place as of 5 PM today, following Cali and NY. If you aren't on the essential job list, you aren't going be working whether you want to or not, or whether your employer wants to close or not.

That list is fairly robust and long, but I'd guess other states will be following soon, so it might be good to know ahead of time where you stand.

This is the list that Illinois is using to determine essential. Luckily my two jobs are on it, but many aren't.

Essential Government Functions:

All services provided by state and local governments needed to ensure the continuing operation of the government agencies and provide for the health, safety and welfare of the public
This Executive Order does not apply to the United States government

Essential Businesses and Operations:

Healthcare and Public Health Operations: Working at or obtaining services from hospitals; clinics; dental offices; pharmacies; public health entities; healthcare manufacturers and suppliers; blood banks; medical cannabis facilities; reproductive health care providers; eye care centers; home healthcare services providers; mental health and substance use providers; ancillary healthcare services — including veterinary care and excluding fitness and exercise gyms, spas, salons, barber shops, tattoo parlors, and similar facilities
Human Services Operations: any provider funded by DHS, DCFS or Medicaid; long-term care facilities; home-based and residential settings for adults, seniors, children, and/or people with disabilities or mental illness; transitional facilities; field offices for food, cash assistance, medical coverage, child care, vocational services or rehabilitation services; developmental centers; adoption agencies; businesses that provide food, shelter, and social services and other necessities of life for needy individuals — excluding day care centers, day care homes, group day care homes and day care centers licensed as specified in Section 12(s) of the order

Essential Infrastructure:

Working in food production, distribution and sale; construction; building management and maintenance; airport operations; operation and maintenance of utilities, including water, sewer, and gas; electrical; distribution centers; oil and biofuel refining; roads, highways, railroads, and public transportation; ports; cybersecurity operations; flood control; solid waste and recycling collection and removal; and internet, video, and telecommunications systems
Stores that sell groceries and medicine
Food, beverage and cannabis production and agriculture
Organizations that provide charitable and social services
Media
Gas stations and businesses needed for transportation
Financial institutions
Hardware and supply stores
Critical trades, including plumbers, electricians, exterminators, cleaning and janitorial staff for commercial and governmental properties, security staff, operating engineers, HVAC, painting, moving and relocation services, and other service providers that maintain the safety, sanitation and essential operation of residences, Essential Activities, and Essential Businesses and Operations
Mail, post, shipping, logistics, delivery and pick-up services
Educational institutions, for purposes of facilitating distance learning, performing critical research, or performing essential functions
Laundry services
Restaurants for consumption off-premises
Supplies to work from home
Supplies for Essential Businesses and Operations
Transportation, for purposes of Essential Travel
Home-based care and services
Residential facilities and shelters
Professional services
Day care centers for employees exempted by this Executive Order
Manufacture, distribution, and supply chain for critical products and industries
Critical labor union functions
Hotels and motels, to the extent used for lodging and delivery or carry-out food services
Funeral services

TNWoods

Post by TNWoods » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:23 am

Not at all.

Small company, non-retail, over 50% of staff already work from home in multiple states, I am one of those. Of the remaining staff, all but one are now working from home, only 1 goes into the office, and that is mainly to pick up mail, otherwise he'd also be working from home.

We already had a very robust system in place for our phone and computing networks, so no changes other than the place some people are sitting when they work.

TNWoods

lospecv

Post by lospecv » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:26 am

this past week was super busy...we'll see going forward.

I'm in the booze industry

Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:52 pm

corysold wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:22 am
Might be worth researching whether your job is considered "essential" or not.

Illinois is going into shelter in place as of 5 PM today, following Cali and NY. If you aren't on the essential job list, you aren't going be working whether you want to or not, or whether your employer wants to close or not.

That list is fairly robust and long, but I'd guess other states will be following soon, so it might be good to know ahead of time where you stand.

This is the list that Illinois is using to determine essential. Luckily my two jobs are on it, but many aren't.

Essential Government Functions:

All services provided by state and local governments needed to ensure the continuing operation of the government agencies and provide for the health, safety and welfare of the public
This Executive Order does not apply to the United States government

Essential Businesses and Operations:

Healthcare and Public Health Operations: Working at or obtaining services from hospitals; clinics; dental offices; pharmacies; public health entities; healthcare manufacturers and suppliers; blood banks; medical cannabis facilities; reproductive health care providers; eye care centers; home healthcare services providers; mental health and substance use providers; ancillary healthcare services — including veterinary care and excluding fitness and exercise gyms, spas, salons, barber shops, tattoo parlors, and similar facilities
Human Services Operations: any provider funded by DHS, DCFS or Medicaid; long-term care facilities; home-based and residential settings for adults, seniors, children, and/or people with disabilities or mental illness; transitional facilities; field offices for food, cash assistance, medical coverage, child care, vocational services or rehabilitation services; developmental centers; adoption agencies; businesses that provide food, shelter, and social services and other necessities of life for needy individuals — excluding day care centers, day care homes, group day care homes and day care centers licensed as specified in Section 12(s) of the order

Essential Infrastructure:

Working in food production, distribution and sale; construction; building management and maintenance; airport operations; operation and maintenance of utilities, including water, sewer, and gas; electrical; distribution centers; oil and biofuel refining; roads, highways, railroads, and public transportation; ports; cybersecurity operations; flood control; solid waste and recycling collection and removal; and internet, video, and telecommunications systems
Stores that sell groceries and medicine
Food, beverage and cannabis production and agriculture
Organizations that provide charitable and social services
Media
Gas stations and businesses needed for transportation
Financial institutions
Hardware and supply stores
Critical trades, including plumbers, electricians, exterminators, cleaning and janitorial staff for commercial and governmental properties, security staff, operating engineers, HVAC, painting, moving and relocation services, and other service providers that maintain the safety, sanitation and essential operation of residences, Essential Activities, and Essential Businesses and Operations
Mail, post, shipping, logistics, delivery and pick-up services
Educational institutions, for purposes of facilitating distance learning, performing critical research, or performing essential functions
Laundry services
Restaurants for consumption off-premises
Supplies to work from home
Supplies for Essential Businesses and Operations
Transportation, for purposes of Essential Travel
Home-based care and services
Residential facilities and shelters
Professional services
Day care centers for employees exempted by this Executive Order
Manufacture, distribution, and supply chain for critical products and industries
Critical labor union functions
Hotels and motels, to the extent used for lodging and delivery or carry-out food services
Funeral services
This is great. Thank you for posting.

frugalmama

Post by frugalmama » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:56 pm

One of my part time jobs is non-existent at this point, another one has informed me that I am going to have reduced hours by the end of the month. Another one is unaffected, and DH's job is not affected and is very secure. We planned for an event like this and so I am not overly concerned at this point...we just cut back.

Ramjet

Post by Ramjet » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:25 pm

I've been sent home for a minimum of 30 days but likely 60+

Virtually all my friends have reported layoffs at their employer

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:32 pm

DW job supports grocery industry so that is about as good as it gets. My company could need to make changes if things protracted or got worse at work. I would say the most likely scenario would be converting to PT contract. We can live on DW salary push come to shove. We've done it before.

slowmoney

Post by slowmoney » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:40 pm

I work at the State DOT. Our division has half the employees working from home, it seems to be working out OK for now. The governor stated that the State will not completely shut down, so typically the employees left are middle age, some with grown kids and relatively healthy. Of course, it seems your job is stable until it’s not. I imagine most State employees would have furlough days before an outright layoff. There is currently a hiring freeze.

My college senior has lost her barista job. She also lost her job getting a neighboring family’s kid to school and back. So, unemployed.

My college sophomore lost her University Library job. So, unemployed.

My wife is a daycare teacher. Three other local daycares have closed. They need like 20 students to remain open. They have been right at 20 students over the past week. We are not optimistic that they will be able to remain open.

I also work PRN as a pharmacy IV tech at a local hospital. Those hours have remained relatively stable.

Honestly, our family of six will probably be deficit spending on 1+ income. Luckily we have an emergency cash fund, so we can make a go of it for a while. Hopefully, this virus will burn itself out quickly.

confusedinvestor

Post by confusedinvestor » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:01 pm

Thanks for your service.
Garfieldthecat wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:12 pm
Healthcare at a big hospital....really really busy.

legio XX

Post by legio XX » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:33 pm

We had less than a day's notice that classes (college) were first suspended and then moved online for the rest of the semester. This left us with a long weekend to retool face-to-face classes for online. We seem to have hit the ground running, but the landing was rougher from some than for others. The big change so far is that I'm glued to the computer. This is a time-intensive operation.
The potential hit is the coming school year. If all the international students stay away a lot can hit the fan. If classes are cut and the checks stop coming, that's when I start really worrying.

Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:15 pm

lospecv wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:26 am

Like distribution to stores and restaurants?

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:55 pm

lospecv wrote:

We have state liquor stores here in Utah, I happen to live ~1 mile from one. Went for a run this morning and there was a line probably 1/4 mile long to get inside the liquor store. I'm talking several hundred people, standing in close proximity. All parking lots on both sides of the street were full and it was causing traffic. Maybe there are rumors that they are going to close the stores?

Either way, it made me really annoyed that the state is in a "soft shutdown" but people can't do without their stock of alcohol.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:01 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:55 pm
lospecv wrote:

We have state liquor stores here in Utah, I happen to live ~1 mile from one. Went for a run this morning and there was a line probably 1/4 mile long to get inside the liquor store. I'm talking several hundred people, standing in close proximity. All parking lots on both sides of the street were full and it was causing traffic. Maybe there are rumors that they are going to close the stores?

Either way, it made me really annoyed that the state is in a "soft shutdown" but people can't do without their stock of alcohol.
:sharebeer

yoyo6713

Post by yoyo6713 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:11 pm

Software developer for a financial firm on the east coast.

Nothing is stable in this environment as any company can go under in a blink of an eye especially an employer like mine who uses leverage. I am fully prepared for the worst case scenario. WFH for the past 3 weeks.

il0kin

Post by il0kin » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:15 pm

stoptothink wrote:
lospecv wrote:

To be fair, the last thing a soon to be overburdened healthcare system is to have to manage alcoholic patients in withdrawal (who almost always have a laundry list of co-morbidities) along with COVID-19 patients. Let them drink, that’s a public health problem for another day.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:20 pm

il0kin wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:15 pm
stoptothink wrote:
lospecv wrote:

To be fair, the last thing a soon to be overburdened healthcare system is to have to manage alcoholic patients in withdrawal (who almost always have a laundry list of co-morbidities) along with COVID-19 patients. Let them drink, that’s a public health problem for another day.
I'm far less concerned about the alcohol (actually, not concerned about it at all) then several hundred people standing in line, for extend periods, when we are being very staunchly warned about "social distancing".

Soundwall

Post by Soundwall » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:24 pm

UPS service provider here. Pick up volume has gone down while residential volume has gone way up.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:38 pm

Spouse is very senior administrator at large public university, and a tenured professor. Job involves, among other tasks, COVID19 response planning. I would not be surprised if spouse’s salary gets cut 40% as a temporary measure as the state copes with economic downturn. I’m retired and we are FI. I am worried about spouse’s possible exposure on the job. Encouraging spouse to retire.

Feel for everyone who are facing financial difficulties now and in near-future.

Stay safe and healthy.

Drovor

Post by Drovor » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:09 pm

Work in IT (healthcare), will be alternating remote work with co-workers to thin the office. Not sure if they will allow 100% remote. Sadly, I think someone will need to get sick before they allow that.

Spouse works as a substitute teacher and although she has not been laid off, there is no work as schools are closed. We end up with less income but it works out since our kids need to be home. I think I have the easier job..
Last edited by Drovor on Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrsRoos

Post by MrsRoos » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:09 pm

In biotech SGA staff. So far WFH with full pay. However, I think work may start to slow down next week and I won't be surprised if there will be a hiring freeze (we were growing prior to outbreak) after all of this is done.
“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” - Kenneth Boulding

Double Chin Finn

Post by Double Chin Finn » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:26 am

I work as a pharmacist in a commercial nuclear pharmacy that provides drugs to most of the hospitals in a major metropolitan area. Everyone still comes to work because it's rather difficult to compound and deliver drugs from home. We have seen a noticeable decrease in orders as less people are willing to come in to get imaging studies done due to the coronavirus pandemic. Staffing hasn't been affected because we always run fairly lean. I'm still able to get overtime hours if I want to. The major concern we have is what happens if one our employees comes back positive for coronavirus. We send out drivers multiple times a day to deliver to hospitals. There is a heavy emphasis at our workplace to sanitize everything and maintain social distance when out in public.

Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:07 am

Dentist here. Extremely thankful we sold a year ago!! I work as an employee now ...mandatory closure aside from true emergencies for 3 weeks as per ADA guidelines..who knows how much longer it will be like that. I’m very thankful we have our ducks in a row with very low fixed costs and large emergency fund. I already miss my routine and patients and it’s only been a few days. I’m very concerned about staff although the corporation has been great this far and is continuing to do so in every way it can. My wife is a pediatric NP so still working although the types of patient visits have changed.

Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:20 am

Soundwall wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:24 pm
UPS service provider here. Pick up volume has gone down while residential volume has gone way up.
Please stay safe throughout these uncertain times.
Last edited by RJC on Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:53 am

As a reminder, this forum maintains a family-friendly environment - things you can say in front of the little ones. Not just for language, but subject matter.

A job description above this threshold has been removed. (The language was fine.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:24 am

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:19 pm
I'm a retail pharmacist in a grocery store. The last few days have been unreal, people lined up at the pharmacy counter and every register in the grocery store from open till close. It has been exhausting and I don't know what will slow this down other than lack of supply. I guess it makes for good job security with sales skyrocketing but it has been a drain on the employees. We are all doing our best to keep customers happy but it has been rough.
Are the patients practicing social distancing in this environment? Stay safe.

leo383

Post by leo383 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:45 am

I work for a non profit community center. We are closed until March 30 officially, my guess is for much longer. I am being paid through all of this, for which I am very grateful.

Wife is a pharma consultant and has her own business. My guess is business will be okay.

I am worried about the future looking at the replies in this thread.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:50 am

I work for a company that has been determined to be a critical supplier of materials.

My wife, same.

My concern is how important my specific engineering role really is to the company.

earlywynnfan

Post by earlywynnfan » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:12 pm

Elementary school teacher, teaching online until April 6 (and NOBODY believes we'll go back then). Hating it, I got into teaching to work with kids, not write lesson plans and stare at a computer. BUT many have it worse than me, I know.

Wife got laid off almost immediately, she's in marketing and the last thing anyone wants is someone coming to their facility to put on an event. So we saw that coming.

My side gig dried up and my teenager lost her childcare job when they shut down the local Y.

Tough times, but we'll get through it, and as of now we're all healthy, which is what really matters.

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:08 am

Court/correctional employee. Shut down all visitation, screening employees, not accepting from other jurisdictions. Working on releasing our non-secure, likely to free up staff for expected staffing shortages (CDC/BoP says to plan for 25-40% in their materials). Can't really discuss anything past that, except that some of the stories out of China, Iran, and that are starting to come out of NY correctional facilities are concerning. No discussion of secure releases to date. So far expect little job security impact.

Longer-term, barring amazing federal action, I foresee huge impact on tax revenue impacting all state & local govs. Even if feds help businesses & regular employees, the balanced budget stuff (49 states) & hit to tax revenue is still going to be brutal on state/local budgets. Some concerns there regarding our facility, but probably safer on average than most in private sector.

Wife has 100% secure income that can fully fund all living expenses luckily. She's high risk though, we've been isolating (90 days of supplies at least), but I am concerned about potentially bringing it home from work.

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:34 am

1099 freelancer - so big income loss for me for next few months, if not longer with no unemployment or other govt help. Luckily spouse's role is secure, although not high earning. Plus a strong EF and zero debt. We'll keep discretionary spending down and get thru this. Just hoping we stay healthy - that's most impt thing.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain

FinancialRookie

Post by FinancialRookie » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:04 pm

Firefighter. Wife is a nurse, both of us in big cities. We both have unlimited OT right now, we are dog tired but we realize how lucky we are to not have to worry about losing our jobs. Our biggest concern is getting sick ourselves. It will probably become mandatory OT soon as more and more of us are being quarantined. Take this virus seriously, it is a $#*! show on the streets.

rexhat

Post by rexhat » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:36 pm

Doctor--all outpt business stopped. Expecting 10% of pay (not 90%) while shut down in process then a resurgence in demand, but due to layoffs won't be the same as before as fewer people will be insured.

VT05

Post by VT05 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:45 pm

Surgeon, can’t do elective cases for at least another month. Deferred salary but still paying staff. Didn’t foresee situation of being unable to do my job as an MD...

spae

Post by spae » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:14 am

I'm in tech. More than half my pay is in stock and bonus, so I've taken a hefty pay cut. Last year I got a 25% target comp raise which has been canceled out by the decline in stock price and the coming decline in bonus. Money has been raining from the sky in tech since the end of the Apple-Google wage fixing agreement. 25% raises have been normal for people at companies that pay competitively for a decade. I'll be lucky if I don't get laid off and get a 5% target comp raise next year.

Layoffs have started hitting some of the smaller bay area tech companies. Some of the unprofitable mid-sized companies will be next and that's going to depress the entire job market.

No change in day to day work yet other than WFH, but the entire sub-industry my company is in is reeling. Many smaller players aren't going to survive and we're going to see an acceleration of the consolidation that's been happening since 2000. If I get laid off and the only comparably paying option six months from now is at one of the megacorps I might retire, same if we get acquired.
Last edited by spae on Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

DonIce

Post by DonIce » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:20 am

Employer has been determined to be an essential service and my work still needs to be done on site. So not much has changed for me, other than being careful to social distance at work as much as possible.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:34 am

I know someone in a different city that owns a company that makes cardboard boxes.

I heard indirectly that his orders had basically stopped as companies shut down, it was not clear if he was required to shut down or not since some critical businesses still need cardboard boxes.

AB609

Post by AB609 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:15 am

I've worked at home for the past few years for a Mega Corp so no real change except a no travel policy in place. The company is largely in the O&G business so they will have to do layoffs soon to stay viable. The part of the business I work in has a much more diversified customer base so we should
fare better. I'm in a somewhat legally mandated unique position that requires very specific credentials. I could possibly be put down to part time but someone has to do my job if they want to continue to operate. I have a side business that is critical government infrastructure related that I can also fall back on. I also have government pension that can cover the mortgage, utilities and food. I feel very fortunate to be in the position I'm in.
Last edited by AB609 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

sillysaver

Post by sillysaver » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:19 am

Funny thing. I quit my job a few weeks ago before this CV panic started. I was fully aware of the CV because I had traveled recently, but I had no idea it would lead to lockdowns in my city.

I got a month's severance. I heard that everyone is now working remotely, which would have been ideal.

It seems like hiring is still going on, but the idea that there will be a huge slowdown soon increased my sense of urgency, so I found a new job where everyone was already working 3 days remote. Now I hear we will be working 100% remotely.

The new job is in tech, but we are serving the academic/education sector. Somehow that seems more safe? I'm taking a 15% pay cut.

JPM

Post by JPM » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:20 pm

Exurban midwestern internist. Outpatient clinic traffic down by 80-90% mostly us asking diabetics, chronic lung and heart patients, and patients on immunosuppressive treatments to postpone appointments for 4-6 weeks. We are set up to do video visits, but doing them requires a good deal of tech savvy on the part of the patients and few or none of the geriatric age group have the savvy and can't have the grandkids over to set it up. Seeing little but sick call and posthospital followup visits in clinic.

Hospitals are surreal. Every time I enter a clinic or hospital, my temperature is checked and if elevated I would be denied entry. In hospital #1, all respiratory cases sick enough for hospitalization are concentrated on one nursing unit. Nursing staffing had to be intensified to 3 patients per nurse, rather than the usual 4-5, due to the necessity of putting on personal protective equipment (AKA PPE) every time the nurse enters any patient room on that unit. This involves washing hands, then donning a paper gown, latex or nitrile gloves, an N95 mask, and eye protection. On exiting the room, the gown, gloves have to be trashed into a lined receptacle. The goggles and Mask are kept in a personalized paper sack and reused due to shortages of that equipment. After removing the PPE, the nurse has to wash hands thoroughly once again. I made a point of thanking the unit custodian for coming to work today. The place would be a colossal mess without him and his working partner. Usual nursing practice is to check each patient once per hour on average, so this involves 36 costume changes per shift per nurse plus all of the usual nursing duties of assessment, and addressing the needs, of the patient. All of the patients are receiving respiratory therapy services and the therapists have to do the same PPE routine. And the radiology technicians and lab technicians, custodians, transporters, and doctors as well. As far as I know, no one has tested positive for Covid19 at that hospital yet but everybody admitted to the respiratory unit is treated as if they have it until a negative test is received. Naturally we are going thru PPE at a terrific rate. Staff is naturally apprehensive about their own safety but everybody is showing up to work. Hat's off to and God bless all of them. Things will probably get a lot worse in the next few weeks. For now the Covid is more concentrated in the nearby richer towns closer to Milwaukee or Chicago where people can afford European travel in the early spring. And spreading to the not rich towns adjacent to them. We'll get it from them.

The personal protective equipment routine is not a lot different from that we used for TB or reverse isolation for experimental cancer chemotherapy in the 70s or AIDS in the 80s and 90s but those patients were occasional individuals or maybe three to a ward then and not whole wards like now. The N95 masks are a new improved wrinkle compared to the old days.

Hospital #2 is often host to the victims of the local knife and gun club, but the club seems to be on spring break for the past week or so. Not sure what the routine is there for acute respiratory illness as I haven't had anybody with respiratory illness hospitalized there since this craziness began.

beastykato

Post by beastykato » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:26 am

Pharmaceutical manufacturing making hydroxychlorquine among other things.

We have been under much higher demand than usual and our workload has easily doubled.

On top of that the workforce was split into separate teams week on/week off so that half of the workforce never interacts with each other. If one team gets infected the other can continue, which while smart has once again doubled the workload on each individual.

Not complaining though happy to be secure in medicine and to supply needed drugs that aren't being shipped from overseas suppliers.

kmurp

Post by kmurp » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:42 am

I work in healthcare. In our field, almost all work is gone and we have furloughed in one way or another, much of our staff. Cash on hand for those remaining will run very low by mid to late May. We have been told at work not to expect any changes to our volume until June so none of us are quite sure what will happen.

Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:27 am

Amazing to see such a wide range of careers on this forum. Thanks for sharing everyone.

BV3273

Post by BV3273 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:41 am

My med device company is trying to turn us into an inside sales force. I find it extremely distasteful since our products are mainly used for elective surgeries and healthcare workers are struggling to get their hands on PPE (Personal Protection Equipment). Most of the sales force is pushing back and there has been several hospitals that said if you even try to contact us to check-in we will remember this when the dust settles and act accordingly. I’m happy to have a paycheck, but upper management in my division needs to get a better handle on the situation at hand.

indyfish

Post by indyfish » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:46 am

My company has gone over 90% remote for our US offices - including all software developers (I am one). My state has a stay at home order. Business will be hit, but management thinks we will be OK in the long run. I don't want to get more specific than this (in terms of what the company does or is).

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:27 am

Teaching at a state university. We started teaching from home two weeks ago. Job is secure up to the end of this semester in May. Hiring is frozen this week. I have never worried about my job until now. What happens if the students will not return next semester.
Spouse's IT company just announced 20% ~ 40% salary reduction for the next three months. I guess the company might not survive before or after three months.
We have never experienced job loss in our life. But we were financially independent before this thing started, we are still financially independent at a lower level.
(In light of these new developments and my children's jobs, I have stopped rebalancing bonds into stocks. I will keep at least 10 years of expenses in bonds and cash.)

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:41 pm

BV3273 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:41 am
My med device company is trying to turn us into an inside sales force. I find it extremely distasteful since our products are mainly used for elective surgeries and healthcare workers are struggling to get their hands on PPE (Personal Protection Equipment). Most of the sales force is pushing back and there has been several hospitals that said if you even try to contact us to check-in we will remember this when the dust settles and act accordingly. I’m happy to have a paycheck, but upper management in my division needs to get a better handle on the situation at hand.
That behavior from management is alarming on several fronts. If your management continues to focus on short-term profits over long-term relationships with medical providers, I would personally not count on it to remain viable and continue providing you a paycheck. You might want to start exploring your other career opportunities in the field now.

Biotech3

Post by Biotech3 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:09 pm

Looking for advice for my sister, who lives in California and is employed by a healthcare company that works with autistic children and gets paid hourly. Her job has been impacted where she is only getting ~ 5-10 hours/week. What are her options at this point if her work is not providing any financial assistance?

m@ver1ck

Post by m@ver1ck » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:13 pm

Top tier IT company in the seattle area (one of MSFT/GOOG/Amzn/FB). We started working from home about 2-3 weeks (can't remember now - it's all a blur). The expecatation is that folks won't be as productive, so the companies have ratcheted their expectations down. However, atleast in my team, people are as engaged as before, and work is happening.

If anything, we are busier since the world relies on our platform to work from home. We have been designated an 'essential' service.

Still - frustrating to be sitting at home.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:42 pm

IT Analyst for a large healthcare system. Working from home. Busier than busy :?

k1982

Post by k1982 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:46 pm

all i know is that unemployed people will be making way more than me in a couple of weeks :)