What is with the printer paper delivery times on Amazon?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
vveat

What is with the printer paper delivery times on Amazon?

Post by vveat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:24 pm

Yesterday I discovered we are running very low on printer paper. Normally we don't use much, but guess what, homeschooling involves printing some assignments. To my great surprise I couldn't find any paper, any brand on Amazon that could be delivered earlier than 1 month from now. I ordered for April 21st and am scrounging one sided printouts to reuse.

I guess they do have to prioritize deliveries, but paper? Have you noticed other items with long lead times?

HawkeyePierce

Re: What is with the printer paper delivery times on Amazon?

Post by HawkeyePierce » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:26 pm

All Prime items are now showing deliveries on April 21. I don't think even Amazon is sure what will actually happen at this point.

MP123

Post by MP123 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:35 pm

Amazon moved many "non-essential" items to an April delivery date even for Prime. But many items are still available and I've had them show up on time or even ahead of the delivery date. Or if you're willing to delay a few days you can get a digital goods credit.

For printer paper maybe try local stores.

GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:37 pm

Staples and Office Depot deliver the next day; maybe sooner if you call.
Supermarkets often sell reams of copy paper.

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:44 pm

Now, this is a first-world problem.

Afty

Post by Afty » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:32 pm

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/3/22/21 ... s-covid-19

[A reminder from admin alex. Naked links are a violation of our forum policy, "all links should include an explanation or excerpt unless its meaning is clear from the context". In this case the full title of the article is enough "Amazon Prime delivery delays are now as long as a month: The e-commerce giant is prioritizing household staples and other high-demand items during the coronavirus pandemic."]

wootwoot

Post by wootwoot » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:33 pm

Sounds like a good time to re-evaluate that prime account.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:04 pm

We ordered some (5 reams) last week, and ended up with a 1-week delivery schedule. I know they are slammed, so I don't mind this one being low on the priority. If it was really going to take a month, I might look at other options like a drugstore.

need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:06 pm

HawkeyePierce wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:26 pm
All Prime items are now showing deliveries on April 21. I don't think even Amazon is sure what will actually happen at this point.
I don’t think this is true. I ordered some rescue tape for a leak and it is coming by Monday at the latest.

rj49

Post by rj49 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:49 pm

Hopefully everybody isn't hoarding printer paper as a toilet paper backup.

To put things in perspective, my brother-in-law manages a nursing home, and he gets much of his medical supplies from Amazon, since it's cheaper and faster, so I'd rather get his stuff prioritized now, as well as any other medical goods.

Unfortunately, there are people like my sister who also order cat litter on Amazon, making UPS and Amazon workers carry and ship huge 40-pound boxes of litter. Cat litter is one of the things being hoarded from stores now, so I'm sure a lot of bozos are filling up the Amazon distribution system by mass ordering heavy boxes of sand.

wootwoot

Post by wootwoot » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:54 pm

need403bhelp wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:06 pm
HawkeyePierce wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:26 pm
I don’t think this is true. I ordered some rescue tape for a leak and it is coming by Monday at the latest.
Recent orders that we've placed for non-essentials also gave us that April 21st delivery date. It very likely depends on what you're ordering.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:00 pm

wootwoot wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:33 pm
I noticed that my spending on Amazon went down a lot once I did not renew Prime. Bezos knows what he is doing. If you ever doubt his power, consider that he got the postal service to deliver mail on Sunday.

campy2010

Post by campy2010 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:01 pm

It isn't shocking that Amazon is very busy right now. Fortunately, Amazon isn't the only company that sells printer paper online.

notjackjack

Post by notjackjack » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:24 am

Had the same problem. Ordered from Staples. Delivered within two days.

Goal33

Post by Goal33 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:38 am

wootwoot wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:33 pm
Yep. Mine expires April 6th. Turned off the renewal
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

Ron

Post by Ron » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:35 am

rj49 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:49 pm
Imagine the paper cuts :annoyed ...

BTW, we get ours at the local grocery store.

- Ron

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:38 am

I've ordered a bunch of "non-essentials" off of Amazon over the past two weeks and just about everything has arrived before the initial estimated delivery date. I live in a major metropolitan area with an Amazon warehouse.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:40 am

vveat wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:24 pm
Yesterday I discovered we are running very low on printer paper. Normally we don't use much, but guess what, homeschooling involves printing some assignments. To my great surprise I couldn't find any paper, any brand on Amazon that could be delivered earlier than 1 month from now. I ordered for April 21st and am scrounging one sided printouts to reuse.

I guess they do have to prioritize deliveries, but paper? Have you noticed other items with long lead times?
Lots of people with kids need paper.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

knowledge

Post by knowledge » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:54 am

I had to buy a printer, paper and toner for the first time in a while as kids started to home school. I bought the printer and paper before Amzn pushed out delivery dates a month out, so received them in relatively normal fashion, but realized that I'd run out of the starter toner sooner than I expected. Even though the expected delivery date was April 22nd, I ordered it anyway.

They sent an email last night saying it's going to arrive by Saturday.

So yes, they're deprioritizing non-essentials, but it seems they're giving everyone a conservative outside date (based on my anecdote and from other friends I know). Which makes a lot of sense.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:57 am

You are among many now home-schooling. Shortages, along with logistical issues in the supply chain, are beginning to show in what were initially non-essential products that are now becoming essential in the view of many. If I read April 1 as the date you could order, presumably receiving by April 4 or so, that would not have been considered significant not that long ago.
Edit: I see it was the 21st rather than the 1st. That was my error.

Tim

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:09 am

Luke Duke wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:38 am
I've ordered a bunch of "non-essentials" off of Amazon over the past two weeks and just about everything has arrived before the initial estimated delivery date. I live in a major metropolitan area with an Amazon warehouse.
+1

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:34 pm

I agree that having prime leads to spending more. But speaking for myself, it's because it's easier. I work too much. So during a 15 minute break, I can order what I need & have it show up in 1-2 days, compared to going to the store & getting it myself. Which many days doesn't work if I'm there after closing.

In the end, I was going to acquire the item anyways. Even if Amazon is a little pricier, it saves me more effort. I'm paying for convenience. And most times Amazon's pricing is very competitive.

I won't be "re-evaluating" my prime membership, I'm definitely renewing in a few months. Their delays I can understand, & actually appreciate. My laptop charger is least important in that is being shipped out in the entire country.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be.

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:48 pm

Have you called your local Staples and considered , if they have paper , to actually exert the energy and drive there ?

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:12 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:09 am
Luke Duke wrote:
+1
Same here. I don’t know what I would do without Amazon. I live alone, far from family, and my neighbors are elderly too, many with health problems. And I’m one of the “bozos” who gets her cat litter from Amazon. I wish I could buy it in the supermarket, but the shelving maximizers have decreed that it be shelved at my hairline level. I narrowly escaped fracturing a finger taking one 14 lb box down.

jminv

Post by jminv » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:15 pm

There are some interesting things that they are not prioritizing/allowing to be restocked in their warehouses. Paper seems like something they should be, though, with all the kids at home and parents wanting to print off activity sheets, tests, etc. It seems like it's not very thought through yet.

I was noticing yesterday that I couldn't buy a specialized type of led light bulb that I need in a kitchen. I found that one brand with stock that would ship now instead of April 23rd but it isn't the brand I would have normally picked. Light bulbs for the home seem like a no brainer. There's been some other household necessities that I've wanted and most of the items were out of stock till late April. I wasn't all that surprised when I was buying car wash soap and I had trouble finding some, though.

Try walmart's website or one of the office supply companies. I've been shifting my spending on a lot of things to walmart, sam's, and some smaller specialized companies for some things I need while I'm trapped where I am at the moment.

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:53 pm

littlebird wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:12 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:09 am
Luke Duke wrote:
+1
Same here. I don’t know what I would do without Amazon. I live alone, far from family, and my neighbors are elderly too, many with health problems. And I’m one of the “bozos” who gets her cat litter from Amazon. I wish I could buy it in the supermarket, but the shelving maximizers have decreed that it be shelved at my hairline level. I narrowly escaped fracturing a finger taking one 14 lb box down.
Normally I buy printer paper directly from hp (hpshopping) and it is pretty speedy. I haven't any info about it lately, but the OP might want to look at it.

I asked my local supermarket, which used to carry 20lb bags of kitty litter, to instead carry at least some 10lb bags. Two 10lb bags take the same shelf space as one 20lb bag, presumably. A 10lb bag exactly fills the litterbox I have and is much easier for an ancient person to manage. They did that.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:59 pm

Is delivery so important? Can't you go to a Staples, Walmart, Target or grocery store and get it yourself?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:00 pm

rj49 wrote:
Hopefully everybody isn't hoarding printer paper as a toilet paper backup....
That sounds like a job for the New York Times :D

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:04 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:59 pm
Is delivery so important? Can't you go to a Staples, Walmart, Target or grocery store and get it yourself?
Target shows it in stock at my local store and they offer curbside pickup. My wife has ordered things in the morning and picked them up in the afternoon. Drive up, call them and they bring it out and stick it in your trunk.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:07 pm

jebmke wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:04 pm
cheese_breath wrote:
Target shows it in stock at my local store and they offer curbside pickup. My wife has ordered things in the morning and picked them up in the afternoon. Drive up, call them and they bring it out and stick it in your trunk.
Ditto with my local Walmart.

Topic Author
vveat

Post by vveat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:13 pm

jebmke wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
Well, we are under "stay at home" regime and in my mind printer paper had not reached yet the level of an "essential good". I hadn't considered curbside, maybe because I have never used it, but it feels weirdly entitled to call the store and ask them to bring out one ream of paper. We may resort to it if this continues for long. I just did Amazon Fresh for the first time ever too.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:15 pm

vveat wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:13 pm
but it feels weirdly entitled to call the store and ask them to bring out one ream of paper.
Feels worse to me to ask Amazon to ship a ream to me. Transport time is longer and involves more people.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:18 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:40 am
vveat wrote:

Lots of people working from home also may need paper.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:04 pm

vveat wrote:
jebmke wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
Well, we are under "stay at home" regime and in my mind printer paper had not reached yet the level of an "essential good". I hadn't considered curbside, maybe because I have never used it, but it feels weirdly entitled to call the store and ask them to bring out one ream of paper. We may resort to it if this continues for long. I just did Amazon Fresh for the first time ever too.
Next time you go to Walgreens to pick up prescriptions or some cold medicine grab a ream of printer paper too.

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:17 pm

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:04 pm
Next time you go to Walgreens to pick up prescriptions or some cold medicine grab a ream of printer paper too.
This is what I was going to say. I needed printer paper for my state taxes and Walmart was out. I checked around and Walgreens had some in stock.

Teague

Post by Teague » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:29 pm

rj49 wrote:
That could make for some interesting board room meetings.

CEO: Smithers, where are those earnings reports you had printed up and ready to go?!

Smithers: Err, well sir, you see it's like this...
Semper Augustus

Grogs

Post by Grogs » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:38 am

vveat wrote:
jebmke wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
I hear you, but I think there are a lot of stores pushing this right now. Retail stores are seeing less foot traffic inside, and this helps them keep at least some of the sales. The benefits I see are:

1. Keeps sales up at the local stores.
2. Fewer people going inside reduces exposure to the workers inside
3. More people at the local store keep their jobs, possibly even hiring some extra workers to do the curbside deliveries.

Our local vet has even gone to a curbside model. Basically, pull up, pass off the animal, and wait in the parking lot until they finish and bring it back out. If there are questions or test results, the vet will call and discuss them with you. I think there's still some interaction for payments, but it's minimal.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:47 am

cherijoh wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:18 pm
JoeRetire wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:40 am
vveat wrote:

Lots of people working from home also may need paper.
Possibly.

The point is, if you run low on something, don't be surprised to find out that others are too.
We're all in this together.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:52 am

Grogs wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:38 am

Our local vet has even gone to a curbside model. Basically, pull up, pass off the animal, and wait in the parking lot until they finish and bring it back out. If there are questions or test results, the vet will call and discuss them with you. I think there's still some interaction for payments, but it's minimal.
The vet practice I use has people phone in when they are in the parking lot so they know the person and animal are there. Then they phone you when they're ready and you bring in the animal. No sitting around in a crowded waiting room. They are postponing regular stuff like just checkups. They have also divided themselves into three groups, one per vet and 1/3 staff and are keeping those separated.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:44 am

because just like you millions and millions and hundreds of millions of people are now working from home and their kids and schooling at home so demand for printer paper delivery has increased by an insane amount. supply and demand.......same as TP, hand sanitizer, etc... right now..