Well, I am market timing due to coronavirus... Wish me luck.

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
ks289

Re: Well, I am market timing due to coronavirus... Wish me luck.

Post by ks289 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:52 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:03 pm
ks289 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:16 am
Here’s why I don’t market time. I’m quite certain I have no clue about the future of the markets, even while working in healthcare during this coronavirus pandemic. It is incredibly difficult for me to translate forthcoming hospital shortages of personal protective equipments and ventilators and intensive care beds into a fair value for the S&P 500. As a result, I’d have a difficult time being correct 74% of the time as some experts have stated below is required for market timing to outperform.

Dr. William J. Bernstein, financial expert, once said “There are two kinds of investors, be they large or small: those who don’t know where the market is headed, and those who don’t know that they don’t know. Then again, there is a third type of investor – the investment professional, who indeed knows that he or she doesn’t know, but whose livelihood depends upon appearing to know.”

Nobel Laureate William Sharpe concluded that a market timer must be correct 74% of the time in order to outperform a steady portfolio at a comparable level of risk.
This all sounds great, but there is a huge difference between someone who consistently thinks they can time the market, especially during normal times, and this situation which saw a huge problem in China and our market at all time highs. Some people just cannot stand the idea that anyone can think and make a decision. Of course there was not a 100 pct guarantee the market was going to plunge meaningfully. There is only one thing in this life that is 100 pct guaranteed yet we make decisions everyday not knowing the outcome. It is an educated guess not blasphemy. Nobody on this thread is saying market timing is a great practice or that they do it normally. Just relax and be happy that some people made an evaluation, acted upon it and were right.
I can understand all of the dogmatic types being upset if someone here was boasting about their ability to time the market and they just said I did it again! That is not the case so live with it.
Here’s the thing. Others making the right call and getting out of the market doesn’t upset me, because I know I’m lousy at it and don’t attempt it - so why bother being upset about it? I’ve thought we were headed for a crash more than once in the last few years, but it has never happened before now. Nor do I study charts and position my portfolio accordingly.

Do I sound like I’m mad at the timers? I am trying to calm the bleep down over the scary stuff that’s happening particularly in healthcare and money a bit less so. My finances have been actually mostly secondary to planning for the safety of my patients and staff and myself.

I’m sure there are a certain percentage of timers (probably the ones posting the most) who will outperform the market even over the long term and good luck with that. I think it’s odd to post that stuff on this site though since it is a core principle of the investment philosophy to avoid timing the market for gods sakes! :)

I’m pretty damn conservative actually so my losses % wise are not (yet) nearly as bad as 2009, although similar to white coat investor the amount is more than 10x what it was back then. As long as things are getting back to normal sometime in the next 5-7 years I’ll be pretty satisfied.
:sharebeer

yoyo6713

Post by yoyo6713 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:39 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:55 am
LawProf wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:58 am
(a) Stay the course, no matter what.

(b) It is never a bad time to buy stocks (i.e. price doesn't matter).
The second of those in particular really sticks in my craw.
Reminded me of real estate agents pushing folks to buy houses before 2008. :D

WIAV8TOR

Post by WIAV8TOR » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:51 am

I bought yesterday, maybe should of bought more.

Some of those famous quotes come to mind, ‘blood in the streets’ and all the rest.

BV3273

Post by BV3273 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:55 am

My 401k purchase went through last night. Talk about good timing. Also, picked up some more S&P in my taxable
yesterday afternoon.

Buy early. Buy often.

InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:00 am

OP is a genius.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)

john0608

Post by john0608 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:21 am

age 63 - tried timing in 2000 and during other corrections - nerve wracking and caused so much self doubt and second guessing.... so i don't do it.

what i have done past 15 years is put all fixed is in CDs and banks - very little in bond funds - against financial planner advice but i chose it just for times like this (total meltdown of perhaps 80% who knows)

i had always been aggressive with AA - but in january reallocated from 75/25 to 60/40....do i wish i was 50/50 or 40/60? ...yes but since i have all Cd's and cash and have 7 to 10 years living expenses in fixed i put it out of my mind and focus on staying safe, etc.

based on a lifetime of investing, my sense is this will pass and we will be back - it will take 3 to 5 years probably but could be sooner.

stay safe, money is meaningless if covid-19 hits you.....be smart and have faith things will get better once this virus is under conral.

ValuationsMatter

Post by ValuationsMatter » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:46 am

I don't see today's rally as a dead cat bounce. There's sentiment afoot that the US will reopen, that the Fed's unlimited QE, and the massive stimulus bill will come through. If those things happen, the worst is over.

That said, the coronavirus numbers are still going to get much, much worse in the US & worldwide before they get better. A LOT worse. Particularly, they will be horrendous if we simply go back to work now. So, I don't think that the governors are going to open back up quite so fast, even if they white house recommended doing so, and many states, particularly the coastal ones, are on lock down. The senate and the house are duking it out over the stimulus bill. I suspect we're going to see more bad news that will continue the trend. I'm glad to be exactly where I am, at 50/50 for now.

Topic Author
CnC

Post by CnC » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:48 am

ValuationsMatter wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:46 am
I don't see today's rally as a dead cat bounce. There's sentiment afoot that the US will reopen, that the Fed's unlimited QE, and the massive stimulus bill will come through. If those things happen, the worst is over.

That said, the coronavirus numbers are still going to get much, much worse in the US & worldwide before they get better. A LOT worse. Particularly, they will be horrendous if we simply go back to work now. So, I don't think that the governors are going to open back up quite so fast, even if they white house recommended doing so, and many states, particularly the coastal ones, are on lock down. The senate and the house are duking it out over the stimulus bill. I suspect we're going to see more bad news that will continue the trend. I'm glad to be exactly where I am, at 50/50 for now.
I don't think this is a dead cat bounce by any means. It certainly could be a bull trap though. I hope it's the start of an extended rally, but hoping won't make it so.

My problem is that everyone who is optimistic about the near term future has not really talked about the actual statistics.

If someone is optimistic please let me know how you are accounting for these troubles. Perhaps I may be overly concerned. Show me I am wrong.

1)The us cases are still in exponential growth.
2)We haven't had many people off work for long at all yet.
3) Recovery for the ±20% that make up serious cases is weeks of treatment.
4) World wide this is being felt and most of the major economies are shutting borders.
5) How are healthcare providers going to cope with losing workers and how are insurance companies going to handle paying for 100,000-1,000,000 people's 14 day ICU stay?
6)Right now our stock market dropped +30% and for 90% of Americans it's basically life as usual with a few minor inconvenience.
What happens when life gets hard for the majority?

coachd50

Post by coachd50 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:31 pm

CnC wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:48 am
ValuationsMatter wrote:

I don't think this is a dead cat bounce by any means. It certainly could be a bull trap though. I hope it's the start of an extended rally, but hoping won't make it so.

My problem is that everyone who is optimistic about the near term future has not really talked about the actual statistics.

If someone is optimistic please let me know how you are accounting for these troubles. Perhaps I may be overly concerned. Show me I am wrong.

4) World wide this is being felt and most of the major economies are shutting borders.
5) How are healthcare providers going to cope with losing workers and how are insurance companies going to handle paying for 100,000-1,000,000 people's 14 day ICU stay?
6)Right now our stock market dropped +30% and for 90% of Americans it's basically life as usual with a few minor inconvenience.
And...aren't you now doing basically what you said you weren't going to do before?
Hey --no doubt about it, you are looking to "play the market" now. You want to trade. And that is perfectly acceptable. But just call it what it is. You don't need anyone's permission to do it, and based off your previous moves, you have done better off than many here the last 4 weeks by trading.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:41 pm

CnC wrote:

I'm just now seeing this thread and I've gotta ask, would you have made the same move if you had it to do over again? Do you feel happy you went to 50/50 or upset that you didn't sell everything? I've never tried market timing so I'm always interested to hear feedback from those who do.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

ValuationsMatter

Post by ValuationsMatter » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:02 pm

CnC wrote:
Correct. There is NO doubt that the biological/sociological impact of this is just getting started. It's going to get A LOT worse everywhere.
And we haven't gone through people missing their first paycheck, yet. At least not en masse. When April 1st and May 1st roll around, expect rent and mortgage checks to bounce. Then, let's see where we stand.
Concur on all counts. There are plenty of reasons the biological side will get worse. But if business is reopened in the US, how much does the market care about the biological side?

I do not imagine that we'll see a liquidity crisis in the financial sector with QE Infinity in place. That takes away the critical commonality between the GD and the GFC.

We don't know the answers. It's speculation, at this point. I still think there is some possibility that unfolding events can trigger massive corporate failures, and so I'm on pause until April, as I mentioned before. I don't mind if this is THE rebound. It's should not go back to pre-crisis levels, because some harm has been done that will take years to unwind. So, I still believe there will be time to get the market at a discount, while patience will also help mitigate the risk of near-term disaster. Long story short, I think patience is the appropriate virtue until the smoke clears a bit.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:36 pm

Larry Swedroe posted this on Twitter today:

"Larry Swedroe
@larryswedroe
·
7h
Nikkei now up 20% in three days! Most of market returns occur in very short bursts. Trying to time is not good idea. Study found that over 100 year period eliminate best 100 months return would have been virtually zero. That's 8.5% of months."

The Nikkei index represents Japan's largest stock market.

"Nikkei index ends up 8%; logs largest 1-day point gain in 26 years"

https://japantoday.com/category/busines ... n-26-years

Ocean77

Post by Ocean77 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:48 pm

Looks like even in Japan, a dead cat bounces!

Hustlinghustling

Post by Hustlinghustling » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:52 pm

One of the wrong conclusions people come to off the back of BH philosophy is that timers never win. That's patently false. Timers in long run usually don't beat the market, but in the short-term - even by BH principles - anything is fair game. It's obvious being passively invested during a crash will do worse than an active shorter.

The long bull market simply shielded BH's from this scenario for the most part as a passive long position was conveniently also "winning" against all the timers going short. That is, until now, which explains the sense of being blindsided for BH's here with both a tanked portfolio on their hands and a timer coming out on the good side. BH's should realise this outcome of being on the wrong side of a crash is built into a passive approach. And that's fine. It's taking the bad with the good, where the longterm benefit offsets being the one on the short end during a crash. But hopefully all the flippant BH responses to someone taking a short position to the effect of "thanks for the gains to come" will be dialled back with a dose of humility.

UpsetRaptor

Post by UpsetRaptor » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:37 pm

CnC wrote:
ValuationsMatter wrote:

Sure, all of those may be true and are scary in the short term, but how many of those are still going to be an issue 6 months from now? Maybe some, maybe none, but remember that the market looks beyond the next quarter. It's quite possible (probable?) that if you wait for all 6 of those points to be non-issues before jumping back in, you'll have missed a very nice bounce-back of some degree.

coachd50

Post by coachd50 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:25 am

Hustlinghustling wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:52 pm
One of the wrong conclusions people come to off the back of BH philosophy is that timers never win. That's patently false. Timers in long run usually don't beat the market, but in the short-term - even by BH principles - anything is fair game. It's obvious being passively invested during a crash will do worse than an active shorter.

The long bull market simply shielded BH's from this scenario for the most part as a passive long position was conveniently also "winning" against all the timers going short. That is, until now, which explains the sense of being blindsided for BH's here with both a tanked portfolio on their hands and a timer coming out on the good side. BH's should realise this outcome of being on the wrong side of a crash is built into a passive approach. And that's fine. It's taking the bad with the good, where the longterm benefit offsets being the one on the short end during a crash. But hopefully all the flippant BH responses to someone taking a short position to the effect of "thanks for the gains to come" will be dialled back with a dose of humility.
I think you are highlighting the key points of John Bogle's philosophy here. Probability and time.

To put it simply, you are talking about two different games so to speak. In one, the ONLY thing that matters is long term. That is the only "win", finishing your working days with "enough". It isn't about picking up gains here and there, or "making money" during the journey. It is about the best thing to do with the money you have left over from leaving below your means. Numerous examples have shown that the BH philosophy is the best chance to maximize the amount one has when you stop working.

It isn't about using the stock market to make money here and there. It isn't about ever considering the short term, with the VERY notable exception of recognizing that once one has celebrated more birthdays than he/she will celebrate in the future, the "long term" is becoming increasingly shorter and necessary steps must be taken to ensure you have "enough".

I think two key elements with regards to this board (and discussions such as this) are 1) As you mentioned, a long bull market which potentially tints everyone's glasses rose, and 2) the growing number of high earners here. As a teacher in the south I realize my teaching income will never surpass $60,000 in my lifetime. That means that my situation will be different than those who expect to make 3-4 times that a year during their prime earning years. That doesn't change the fact the best chance for me to have "enough" when I retire is consistent investing of leftover income into low cost broad-based index funds with a proper asset allocation that will change over time.

Topic Author
CnC

Post by CnC » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:40 am

UpsetRaptor wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:37 pm
CnC wrote:
ValuationsMatter wrote:

Sure, all of those may be true and are scary in the short term, but how many of those are still going to be an issue 6 months from now? Maybe some, maybe none, but remember that the market looks beyond the next quarter. It's quite possible (probable?) that if you wait for all 6 of those points to be non-issues before jumping back in, you'll have missed a very nice bounce-back of some degree.

No no no, I'm not a doomer who thinks we are headed for certain ruin. If I were I wouldn't be investing money back in the market.

I just think it's a bit premature to say, ok whew we are all done, now the market has nowhere to go but up.

Topic Author
CnC

Post by CnC » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:47 am

BW1985 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:41 pm
CnC wrote:

I'm just now seeing this thread and I've gotta ask, would you have made the same move if you had it to do over again? Do you feel happy you went to 50/50 or upset that you didn't sell everything? I've never tried market timing so I'm always interested to hear feedback from those who do.
Of course I wish I went more cash, I also wish I bought Bitcoin at $100 each and sold at $10000 each. But I do not regret my decision.

I had quite a bit of money and I was ok on missing it and losing out on 1-3% of gains on the amount I took out. But I would have had some heartburn about missing out on 3% of my entire portfolio.

So, while I would have done it differently if I knew exactly what would have happened. I am satisfied with my results.

ValuationsMatter

Post by ValuationsMatter » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:07 pm

I'll admit several good days in a row makes me ambivalent. On the one hand, I'm a little nervous that I didn't get back to my AA and it's starting to 'feel' like the market is through the worst of it. On the other hand, today's bounce brings my portfolio to a net positive for the year, after dropping ~$50k despite excellent 'timing'.

My analytical side remains exactly where I was in the last couple of comments, though. I'm not taking action until the end of next week at the earliest. I have to sit on my hands, though. They're begging me to do something... lol. I think there's a lot of jubilance, this week. I think a lot of people are reacting to good news every day, but I still believe the worst of the virus lays ahead. I suspect there's gonna be some bad news along with it.

I also admit I'm a little surprised that the market had an amazing day after the announcement of the biggest unemployment jump in history. It was so big, I question its accuracy. Could it be that they can't keep up with the amount of processing that has to be done? Even if it's an accurate representation, the number is so big I can understand it being priced in, but I cannot understand it being good news. So, more than the market's jump on the previous days, I'm very skeptical of today's rally.
Last edited by ValuationsMatter on Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:16 pm

Per the Wall St Journal 3/26/20, the bear market is over and we have now entered a bull market since stocks rallied again today:

"Dow Escapes Bear Market With a 6% Rally
The blue-chip index is now up 20% from its low, qualifying as a new bull market"

"U.S. stocks soared higher Thursday, even after data showed the ranks of unemployed Americans surged in the past week, signaling that investors remain hopeful that a $2 trillion stimulus package can help save the country’s weakening economy.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 6.2%, putting the blue-chip index more than 20% above its recent low, a move that starts a new bull market and marks the shortest bear market in the index’s history. The S&P 500 gained 6.1%, and tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite added 5.6%."

Perkunas

Post by Perkunas » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:23 pm

Did my best to liquidate about 28k of Fido Total Market Index just before close today. Not sure if I got the orders in in time.

Hard to believe the market will not turn south again after this past week of gains.

NYC is at the tip of the iceberg and many have fled NYC similar to what happened in Italy last month, so I'm of the mind things will get worse before they get better all along the eastern seaboard. Virus seems to have taken a foothold in New Orleans and it ain't cold down there.

moneyman11

Post by moneyman11 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:43 pm

I am shocked at the number of epidemiologist market timers that are on bogleheads! Who knew?

ValuationsMatter

Post by ValuationsMatter » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:53 pm

moneyman11 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:43 pm
I am shocked at the number of epidemiologist market timers that are on bogleheads! Who knew?
Thanks for your contribution.