Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
softwaregeek
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 8:59 pm

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by softwaregeek » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:34 pm

There won't be a huge new supply of N95 masks in the next 60 days. Those require a raw material called melt-blown plastic. The machines to create melt-blown on a large scale are enormous, complicated, expensive, available from few suppliers, and have a long lead time. If 3m is increasing it's production, it had spare capacity from the beginning. Probably by switching production from the industrial to the medical version, the key difference being the exhale valve.

Surgical masks are much cheaper. I don't understand why we aren't producing them en masse, although it is true that we don't have much of a manufacturing culture any more.

clip651
Posts: 572
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:02 am

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by clip651 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:29 pm

softwaregeek wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:34 pm

Surgical masks are much cheaper. I don't understand why we aren't producing them en masse, although it is true that we don't have much of a manufacturing culture any more.
I think they are trying to increase production everywhere. But there is sudden, humongous, increased worldwide demand.

HappyJack
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:45 am

BHs I need help on a Corona Virus Situation

Post by HappyJack » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:21 am

Please forgive me if this question is out of line on the BH network. I know we have a lot of very intelligent people here and I am asking for some help.

I just replaced my upstairs heating and AC unit and all the ductwork which was old and nasty. I had a crew of five workers upstairs for two days. My family and I stayed
separated on the first floor.

If I turn on the system it occurred to me that it will blow potential virus contaminants (i.e. sweat, breath)back on all of us. My only thought was to leave it off and let it heat up in the attic maybe kill some contaminants.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 60809
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:18 am

No problem. There are quite a number of posts relating to the virus' survival time in Bogleheads community discussion - Coronavirus. Try asking your question in that thread.

Let's try to keep the virus-specific questions contained in the general discussion thread (pun intended).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

MnD
Posts: 4578
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:41 pm

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by MnD » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:51 am

We've had no liquid hand sanitizer, no isopropyl alcohol, no hydrogen peroxide and no skin-approved sanitizer wipes since the get-go.
When we shop we look and _never_ find any of the above but aren't making special trips to multiple stores just to look for above.
We have no need to shop for a couple weeks.

What we do have is plenty of Lysol "Brand New Day" wipes with .26% alkyl dimethyl benzyl we've been using as hand wipes when out despite label advising the wipes are for cleaning surfaces. We have plenty of foaming and regular hand soap at home. We have lots (as in LOTS) of 49% ethyl alcohol in the form of 97 proof London Dry Gin.

Questions:
1) Amazon does have somewhat over-priced 62.5% alcohol 4-bottle lots of somewhat off-brand but legit hand sanitizer in stock with long delivery time (2 weeks). Think I should I buy it given our above inventory and lack thereof?

2) Right now I could make and use ~50% alcohol hand wipes using the gin as opposed to using Lysol wipes on hands. Any thoughts on that trade-off? I will not run out of gin for enjoyment if using a little bit for homemade wipes.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.

Mako
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:34 am

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by Mako » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:03 am

MnD wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:51 am
We've had no liquid hand sanitizer, no isopropyl alcohol, no hydrogen peroxide and no skin-approved sanitizer wipes since the get-go.
When we shop we look and _never_ find any of the above but aren't making special trips to multiple stores just to look for above.
We have no need to shop for a couple weeks.

What we do have is plenty of Lysol "Brand New Day" wipes with .26% alkyl dimethyl benzyl we've been using as hand wipes when out despite label advising the wipes are for cleaning surfaces. We have plenty of foaming and regular hand soap at home. We have lots (as in LOTS) of 49% ethyl alcohol in the form of 97 proof London Dry Gin.

Questions:
1) Amazon does have somewhat over-priced 62.5% alcohol 4-bottle lots of somewhat off-brand but legit hand sanitizer in stock with long delivery time (2 weeks). Think I should I buy it given our above inventory and lack thereof?

2) Right now I could make and use ~50% alcohol hand wipes using the gin as opposed to using Lysol wipes on hands? Any thoughts on that trade-off? I will not run out of gin for enjoyment if using a little bit for homemade wipes.
Everything I've heard or read has said you need 60% or more to be effective. I have no idea how true that is scientifically--like is 50% pretty good just less effective, is it totally useless, or is that just wrong and it's perfectly fine? But 60 is consistently what I've seen so I'd worry that 49 isn't going to do much unless someone showed me otherwise.

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9840
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:09 am

Mako wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:03 am
MnD wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:51 am
We've had no liquid hand sanitizer, no isopropyl alcohol, no hydrogen peroxide and no skin-approved sanitizer wipes since the get-go.
When we shop we look and _never_ find any of the above but aren't making special trips to multiple stores just to look for above.
We have no need to shop for a couple weeks.

What we do have is plenty of Lysol "Brand New Day" wipes with .26% alkyl dimethyl benzyl we've been using as hand wipes when out despite label advising the wipes are for cleaning surfaces. We have plenty of foaming and regular hand soap at home. We have lots (as in LOTS) of 49% ethyl alcohol in the form of 97 proof London Dry Gin.

Questions:
1) Amazon does have somewhat over-priced 62.5% alcohol 4-bottle lots of somewhat off-brand but legit hand sanitizer in stock with long delivery time (2 weeks). Think I should I buy it given our above inventory and lack thereof?

2) Right now I could make and use ~50% alcohol hand wipes using the gin as opposed to using Lysol wipes on hands? Any thoughts on that trade-off? I will not run out of gin for enjoyment if using a little bit for homemade wipes.
Everything I've heard or read has said you need 60% or more to be effective. I have no idea how true that is scientifically--like is 50% pretty good just less effective, is it totally useless, or is that just wrong and it's perfectly fine? But 60 is consistently what I've seen so I'd worry that 49 isn't going to do much unless someone showed me otherwise.
Yes, 60% is supposed to be the minimum to be effective for this purpose.

I just looked at Total Wine for "Everclear" and other high proof booze, and... sold out. I guess that's no surprise...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

User avatar
El Greco
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:21 pm

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by El Greco » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:20 am

As it has been impossible to procure hand sanitizer, wipes, isopropyl alcohol, etc for sanitizing purposes, I looked through my work shop supplies and noticed I had a fresh, full quart can of Denatured Alcohol. I use this stuff to mix shellac flakes, etc. I believe it has a very high alcohol content, maybe higher than isopropyl. Can I use this stuff for wiping down packages, etc?

Dottie57
Posts: 8125
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Earth Northern Hemisphere

Re: Masks (medical or N95) availability

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:33 am

smitcat wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:17 pm
For updated (but not completely recent) models please see the link below.
It is applicable to the USA and not Korea , or Belgium or the Galapagos.
It is interactive in that you can vary the countermeasures in place and also the future date to see results.
You can therefore test your own variables to see what they might mean without relying on others opinions...
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... break.html
No subscription here. :|

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 17355
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by willthrill81 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:40 am

El Greco wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:20 am
As it has been impossible to procure hand sanitizer, wipes, isopropyl alcohol, etc for sanitizing purposes, I looked through my work shop supplies and noticed I had a fresh, full quart can of Denatured Alcohol. I use this stuff to mix shellac flakes, etc. I believe it has a very high alcohol content, maybe higher than isopropyl. Can I use this stuff for wiping down packages, etc?
Yes, it will work as a disinfectant. It's just regular ethanol with additives that make it undrinkable. But since it's poisonous, you would want to be careful to thoroughly rinse it off of any surfaces you spread it on. Wash your hands thoroughly after working with it.

But why wouldn't you just use plain soap? It's highly effective.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Dottie57
Posts: 8125
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Earth Northern Hemisphere

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:48 am

Soap is highly effective because it chemically breaks down the virus.

I post a link that tells how it works. The link was from marketwatch.

smitcat
Posts: 5141
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Masks (medical or N95) availability

Post by smitcat » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:41 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:33 am
smitcat wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:17 pm
For updated (but not completely recent) models please see the link below.
It is applicable to the USA and not Korea , or Belgium or the Galapagos.
It is interactive in that you can vary the countermeasures in place and also the future date to see results.
You can therefore test your own variables to see what they might mean without relying on others opinions...
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... break.html
No subscription here. :|
I do not have a subscription either - I just click it and its open.

User avatar
El Greco
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:21 pm

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by El Greco » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:54 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:40 am
El Greco wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:20 am
As it has been impossible to procure hand sanitizer, wipes, isopropyl alcohol, etc for sanitizing purposes, I looked through my work shop supplies and noticed I had a fresh, full quart can of Denatured Alcohol. I use this stuff to mix shellac flakes, etc. I believe it has a very high alcohol content, maybe higher than isopropyl. Can I use this stuff for wiping down packages, etc?
Yes, it will work as a disinfectant. It's just regular ethanol with additives that make it undrinkable. But since it's poisonous, you would want to be careful to thoroughly rinse it off of any surfaces you spread it on. Wash your hands thoroughly after working with it.

But why wouldn't you just use plain soap? It's highly effective.
Thanks willthrill81:

I'm thinking of using it to wipe down plastic and metal packaging that I receive from the outside. Are you saying soapy water would be better?

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 60809
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:00 pm

:!: Caution, we're dealing with health and safety here. :!:

Please do your own due diligence when working with chemicals. Those providing recommendations should cite credible (authoritative) sources.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 17355
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by willthrill81 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:03 pm

El Greco wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:54 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:40 am
El Greco wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:20 am
As it has been impossible to procure hand sanitizer, wipes, isopropyl alcohol, etc for sanitizing purposes, I looked through my work shop supplies and noticed I had a fresh, full quart can of Denatured Alcohol. I use this stuff to mix shellac flakes, etc. I believe it has a very high alcohol content, maybe higher than isopropyl. Can I use this stuff for wiping down packages, etc?
Yes, it will work as a disinfectant. It's just regular ethanol with additives that make it undrinkable. But since it's poisonous, you would want to be careful to thoroughly rinse it off of any surfaces you spread it on. Wash your hands thoroughly after working with it.

But why wouldn't you just use plain soap? It's highly effective.
Thanks willthrill81:

I'm thinking of using it to wipe down plastic and metal packaging that I receive from the outside. Are you saying soapy water would be better?
The CDC has addressed this specifically as it applies to washing hands, but I don't see why the same logic wouldn't apply to washing other items.
Soap and water are more effective than hand sanitizers at removing certain kinds of germs, like Cryptosporidium, norovirus, and Clostridium difficile. Although alcohol-based hand sanitizers can inactivate many types of microbes very effectively when used correctly, people may not use a large enough volume of the sanitizers or may wipe it off before it has dried.
https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me ... tizer.html
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Dottie57
Posts: 8125
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Earth Northern Hemisphere

Re: Masks (medical or N95) availability

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:36 pm

smitcat wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:41 am
Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:33 am
smitcat wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:17 pm
For updated (but not completely recent) models please see the link below.
It is applicable to the USA and not Korea , or Belgium or the Galapagos.
It is interactive in that you can vary the countermeasures in place and also the future date to see results.
You can therefore test your own variables to see what they might mean without relying on others opinions...
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... break.html
No subscription here. :|
I do not have a subscription either - I just click it and its open.
I get a page with the title of the article and then 2 buttons on top right - Subscribe and Login.

HomeStretch
Posts: 3949
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: Masks (medical or N95) availability

Post by HomeStretch » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:48 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:36 pm
I get a page with the title of the article and then 2 buttons on top right - Subscribe and Login.
Try clearing your phone or laptop’s browsing history/cookies. After clearing, I usually can read a few NY Times articles free each month before the subscribe and logon appears.

Nyc10036
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Masks (medical or N95) availability

Post by Nyc10036 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:55 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:48 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:36 pm
I get a page with the title of the article and then 2 buttons on top right - Subscribe and Login.
Try clearing your phone or laptop’s browsing history/cookies. After clearing, I usually can read a few NY Times articles free each month before the subscribe and logon appears.
I subscribed to their $1/week digital subscription.
They bill at $4 every month.
Very reasonable rate.

Nyc10036
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by Nyc10036 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:58 pm

El Greco wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:20 am
As it has been impossible to procure hand sanitizer, wipes, isopropyl alcohol, etc for sanitizing purposes, I looked through my work shop supplies and noticed I had a fresh, full quart can of Denatured Alcohol. I use this stuff to mix shellac flakes, etc. I believe it has a very high alcohol content, maybe higher than isopropyl. Can I use this stuff for wiping down packages, etc?
do-it-yourself https://www.familysavvy.com/how-to-make ... -a-doctor/

Post Reply