Costco Senior hour Tue and Thur

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Pinotage

Re: Costco Senior hour Tue and Thur

Post by Pinotage » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:39 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:05 pm
jabberwockOG wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:45 am
First time out to the store in 9 days. We drove over to our local big grocery store this AM at 7 just to scout it out. I thought is was going to be a zoo and it was. There was a big line, people cheek to jowl, along with a totally full parking lot.

We drove to a smaller store and a produce market a couple of miles away that were not running special senior hours and they were deserted. Went in wearing long sleeve shirt, hat, mask and gloves. Got some funny looks as expected but could care less. I think my outfit motivated others to give me adequate safe space and clear my path :shock:

Everyone is trying their best to set up ways to stay safer so we have to try new things. But this morning I was struck by how new arrangements designed to help, often have unintended ironic consequences.

There seems to be plenty of food to purchase in our smallish town - 20 k people. Of course little to nothing of a few well known items that the selfish *&%)*& hoarders are all panic/greedy buying but otherwise did not see much in the way of shortage.
It's best to protect oneself as much as possible.

If you mumble under your breath and clear your throat, under the face mask, it will clear an additional 6 feet of space. :confused

j :happy
Not sure I get it?

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:39 pm

After my failed attempt to go to Costco for the early-morning senior hours, I went back mid-day. Parking lot was wide open. Signs at the front door indicated which highly desired items were available … or not. I was able to get much of what I needed … but not the chocolate-covered acai berries :( . And of course, no TP.

My regular super market had plenty of fresh fruit and veggies and I was able to get almost everything on my list there and at Trader Joe's.

I'd hear that mid-day was the best time. Guess that tip was right.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:05 pm

We don´t have a Costco in our area (yet! there is one in the planning stages) but from the perspective of a New Yorker at the epicenter, I find it hard to understand why any senior would want to endanger their health by shopping in person.

Yes, there are delivery charges and you can´t pick out your own produce, but I have had very good experiences with delivery from three supermarket chains. Most supermarkets of any size, including Costco, seem to offer delivery options. Costco certainly does. The extra cost for delivery is much less than one copay for a medical visit under my MA PPO plan, so even if I only cared about the financial costs, it would be pennywise and pound foolish to save money by shopping in person in the current environment.

If everyone stayed at home and just delegated shopping to a small number of highly specialized efficient (and low-risk!) paid pickers & packers to deliver the groceries, there would be much less congestion and transmission happening in the stores and it would greatly improve public health (and provide some extra jobs for folks laid off from restaurants and bars.)

And it does not even need to be door-to-door delivery. Some places you just drive your car into a designated pick up spot, text the store to let them know you have arrived, you pop open your trunk and they bring your order out and put in your trunk, close the trunk, and your drive off. You stay in your car with your windows rolled up. You have already paid online in advance (including a tip) so there is no physical handling of payment cards or touchscreens.

Pete12

Post by Pete12 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:40 pm

This is all great information thank you everyone. I was thinking of going to Costco this week but wasn’t sure what the situation is. Please keep posting your experiences and I will do the same once I’ve been!

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:56 pm

Delivery sounds great, but in my neighborhood Stop&Shop stopped their "pickup" system (said they needed staff inside to restock and clean), and delivery times by PeaPod were not available for 2 weeks (if then). Shaws uses Instacart, and the next delivery date was 5 days out.

Really lucky, though, if you can look at the bright side of things. We are in a CCRC which has us on lockdown, and brings meals to our apartment doors.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:41 pm

Pete12 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:40 pm
This is all great information thank you everyone. I was thinking of going to Costco this week but wasn’t sure what the situation is. Please keep posting your experiences and I will do the same once I’ve been!
We went to our newly opened Costco about 11am Tuesday. We didn't know about the senior hours--not even sure ours offered them. I was expecting a pretty good crowd since so many people are not going to work and schools are closed. It was less crowded than our previous two visits. I was pleasantly surprised to see a plastic shield between the customer and the clerk at check-out. Employees have been wiping down shopping carts at the entrance during our most recent two visits.

telemark

Post by telemark » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:23 pm

Isabelle77 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:52 am
alrick wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:46 am
What I cannot understand is why any store or business wants to bring the whole population of vulnerables together in one place at one time. We generally go out to shop in the early evening....almost no one is in the store!
I believe the idea is that the store is cleanest first thing in the morning.
And the store has just been restocked, so the chances of finding things like flour and toilet paper are better.

Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:27 pm

Aldi just announced that they will also have Senior hours each Tuesday and Thursday morning from 8:30 'til 9:30 a.m. Would you guess Aldi will be as crowded as Costco for Senior hour?

I'm a member of Costco but just don't currently need the quantity of food that would justify a trip.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:50 pm

Isabelle77 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:52 am
alrick wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:46 am
What I cannot understand is why any store or business wants to bring the whole population of vulnerables together in one place at one time. We generally go out to shop in the early evening....almost no one is in the store!
I believe the idea is that the store is cleanest first thing in the morning.
Also it would give them first crack at items that are selling out quickly like TP and paper towels.

Before COVID-19, my neighborhood supermarket was open 6 am - midnight. They started closing at 9 pm for deep cleaning and restocking but continued to open at 6 am. I was up early one day last week so I went shopping ~ 6:45, mostly to avoid the crowds and practice social distancing. I noticed that the paper products and cleaning products aisles were picked clean as was bottled water. (Thankfully, I buy my paper products at BJs in bulk so I had plenty of TP, paper towels and facial tissue before Corona Virus hit the US). The cashier told me they had received several pallets of TP but that it was scooped up in the first 10 minutes. She said that there had been a long line waiting to get in at 6am. By the time I got there there were about a dozen people.

The store has now switched hours again and is opening at 7 am except on Monday and Thursday when they have a senior only hour at 6 am. (Thursday has been the senior discount day when seniors get a 5% discount).

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:01 pm

GerryL wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:01 pm
I had been planning to go to Costco this week after 10 days since last going out for groceries. As I approached the store around 7:45AM, I could see that the parking lot was as crowded at a Saturday during holiday shopping season. Turned around and came home.

I intend to venture out shortly after noon as I do need to get perishables, but I will head to my local large grocery store. May try Costco at regular hours another time. I can't understand how so many people, who have to eat in non-pandemic times, are mobbing stores daily. How much broccoli can they eat?
I have friends who do not cook and other than a quart of milk, a 6 pack of soda (or beer) and condiments and salad dressing have almost nothing in their fridge/freezer - and only a few cans of soup in their pantry.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:06 pm

Turbo29 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:33 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:46 pm
we have that at our local giant (and it's for anyone who's immuno compromised).

I just heard today that costco is also (in some states) allowing only 25 people in the store at a given time.
Brilliant. They will just stand 6 inches apart in a line outside.
The Trader Joes is also limiting how many people go into the store. They had everyone queue up along the side of the store going to the back parking lot. They had painted markers 6 feet apart and people were pretty much abiding by that. One of the few times that there was only 1 person ahead of me in the checkout line. They also only had every other cash register open so that people could maintain a 6 ft distance. They were also sanitizing carts between ever use.

I thought it was very efficient. (They were also telling people that they were out of TP before they even got into the line).
Last edited by cherijoh on Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:57 pm

We've been choosing to avoid the "senior hours" at local stores, at least until things settle down a bit further.

We did a Costco run this afternoon here in silicon valley. Parking lot was 1/3 full. No line for gas (really rare here). Store was quite sane; made me think of 25 years ago before Costco got so popular here. You tended to end up with 6 or more feet between people naturally. Probably half the customers wearing a mask and/or gloves. Vast amounts of bottled water, modest supply of TP. No hand sanitizer. Those restaurant-size 50 and 100 lb sacks of rice and beans were all back in normal stock (they had been picked clean 1.5 weeks ago). No chocolate chips :(

We normally buy eggs 4 doz at a time, but they would only sell us one 24-pack (they would have let my wife get another one on her card, but she didn't have it with her). There were a few other things at 1 per customer, though I suspect most of those will be back to normal shortly as the panic buyers run out of space.

We will probably keep doing Costco trips at probably a once per two weeks cycle, along with perhaps weekly runs to our local grocery. By being a bit more focused in our meal planning, we are eliminating the random store runs for two or three items.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:13 pm

Frys Grocery to p/u Rx and the post office to pickup a box. Weekday morning.
No lines. No TP but We have enough. Rx went quick no other customers.
Post office opens at 9. I was second. They had yellow tape lines on the floor 6’ apart with “Stand Here” written on them. Senior lady stood on the first line in an empty room but was told repeatedly to just go to the window. Funny. Postal worker said they were not wearing masks because they ran out.

[OT comment removed by moderator prudent]
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

nguy44

Post by nguy44 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:47 am

Housedoc wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:52 am
Costco open from 8-9AM for 60yo and older on Tuesday and Thursday. No underage guests allowed. Food court has regular hours. Effective today March 24. Let's ride!
One experience from friends: they arrived at 7:30. The parking lot had maybe 30 cars. At 7:40, the store decided to open the doors for those in line. They were able to get their items (they said everything was in stock) and were out before 8am. At 8am long line to get in, the parking lot was filling up and more cars were coming in.

The early bird gets the worm, once again...

beernutz

Post by beernutz » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:32 pm

I am 61 and went to the second senior hour held at my local Costco last Thursday. It started fine as I was there 10 minutes before 8 which was the official start time but they let everyone in anyway. I had to show an id because of my baby face, disguised with white whiskers, which was no problem. The door guy checked my id, smirked and said You're looking good man.

The reasons I'll never go to a senior hour again are
1. They let many non-seniors in. I saw a couple of teens and a 20 something plus several other adults who were clearly well under 60 and I was in the store less than 30 minutes.

2. It was crowded af as the kids say after only 15 minutes of the hour. This was especially true in the back corner where there was 1 per customer TP. Other seniors for some bizarre and unprovoked reason decided to form a line which grew to about 10 customers long and completely bogged down the TP distribution when you could walk right up to that area from two other directions, grab a package and be on your way with no wait.

Paranoia started to set in as the crowding increased though checkout was very quick. The only thing I blame Costco for are the apparent exceptions they were making to the over 60 rule. On their Facebook post they were answering requests for exceptions, because everyone is special, with a canned no but apparently the door workers didn't get the memo.
Last edited by beernutz on Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

teacher

Post by teacher » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:45 pm

From the Costco website:
https://www.costco.com/covid-updates.html

Special Operating Hours* for Members Ages 60 or Older
On Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, Costco warehouses will open from 8 to 9 a.m. for members ages 60 and older, and for those with physical impairments. During this early hour, the pharmacy will be open, but the Costco Food Court will not.

beernutz

Post by beernutz » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:46 pm

teacher wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:45 pm
From the Costco website:
https://www.costco.com/covid-updates.html

Special Operating Hours* for Members Ages 60 or Older
On Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, Costco warehouses will open from 8 to 9 a.m. for members ages 60 and older, and for those with physical impairments. During this early hour, the pharmacy will be open, but the Costco Food Court will not.
That's new. I was not planning on going back again but now I'm definitely not going back to a senior hour.

MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:05 am

My neighbor went to senior hours at our local supermarket and was in a long line at 6:45am for a 7:00am opening.

A young man came from the parking lot and tried to cut in at the front of the line, but an old lady beat him back into the parking lot with her cane.

He returned and tried to cut in again but an old man punched him in the stomach, then kicked him to the ground and rolled him away.

As he approached the front of the line for the third time he said, "If you don't let me unlock the door, you'll never get in there!"

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:34 am

Spouse went to Harris Teeters senior hours. Aisles were jammed with stock people. The place was more risky than normal hours.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:41 am

MarkerFM wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:05 am
My neighbor went to senior hours at our local supermarket and was in a long line at 6:45am for a 7:00am opening.

A young man came from the parking lot and tried to cut in at the front of the line, but an old lady beat him back into the parking lot with her cane.

He returned and tried to cut in again but an old man punched him in the stomach, then kicked him to the ground and rolled him away.

As he approached the front of the line for the third time he said, "If you don't let me unlock the door, you'll never get in there!"
Good one!
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:24 pm

My first senior hour at Costco was a nightmare. Waiting 20 minutes in the rain to get in, then 20 minutes to check out. Last Friday, it was 15 minutes in the snow to get in but no waiting to check out beyond the normal wait. Leaving Costco at 9:10 AM when regular members entered, there was no line at all. Guess there is no need go at 8 AM unless you must buy toilet paper or paper towels (which was only available in the 12 pack).