Chase Travel--Cancelling Delta Flight

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
cowdogman

Chase Travel--Cancelling Delta Flight

Post by cowdogman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:20 pm

I booked three seats on a Delta flight a couple weeks ago through Chase Travel using Char UR points.

The event we were traveling to in June has now been cancelled.

I contacted Chase Travel via chat on the Chase website. I was told Chase Travel cannot cancel and refund points as the tickets were non-refundable. I pointed out that Delta tickets purchased during March were refundable with a Delta credit, but that since I booked through Chase Travel I couldn't cancel through Delta directly (which I thought was true).

I then called Delta and the rep told me I could cancel thru Delta directly, and then I would receive a 100% credit on the ticket cost.

I'd prefer the points back, but it sounds like that may be a lost cause. Is that right?
Last edited by cowdogman on Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

student

Re: Chase Travel--Cancaelling Delta Flight

Post by student » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:25 pm

I would say that it is not worth wasting your time unless you have no use of your delta credit.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:18 pm

Did Delta tell you that you could have had your Chase points refunded, or was the statement only for tickets purchased with money? I doubt Delta has anything to do with how Chase points would be used, but I could be wrong somehow.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:29 pm

Delta can’t give back UR points. To them the ticket looks like one the OP purchased at an OTA, with cash. If they are willing to let you cancel OTA tickets directly with them (instead of going through the OTA, as other airlines require), they will give something they call eCredit, essentially funny money that can be used to purchase a new Delta ticket later on.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisories/ ... l/overview
Simplified waivers for making changes

We understand you might have questions. Rest assured the value of your ticket won’t be lost if you decide to make a change. And if you purchased a ticket between March 1 and April 15, you can adjust your travel without a change fee for up to a year from the date you purchased it. If you are uncertain of future travel plans, we recommend cancelling your flight. Once you cancel, the value of the ticket will become an eCredit which you can use to rebook once you are ready.
(alas, that only applies to travel in March-May, so if the Delta agent offered to cancel a June trip, they are being generous)

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:36 pm

This article from The Points Guy addresses your exact situation.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/cancel-c ... ronavirus/

inverter

Post by inverter » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:42 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:29 pm
Delta can’t give back UR points. To them the ticket looks like one the OP purchased at an OTA, with cash. If they are willing to let you cancel OTA tickets directly with them (instead of going through the OTA, as other airlines require), they will give something they call eCredit, essentially funny money that can be used to purchase a new Delta ticket later on.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisories/ ... l/overview
Simplified waivers for making changes

We understand you might have questions. Rest assured the value of your ticket won’t be lost if you decide to make a change. And if you purchased a ticket between March 1 and April 15, you can adjust your travel without a change fee for up to a year from the date you purchased it. If you are uncertain of future travel plans, we recommend cancelling your flight. Once you cancel, the value of the ticket will become an eCredit which you can use to rebook once you are ready.
(alas, that only applies to travel in March-May, so if the Delta agent offered to cancel a June trip, they are being generous)
This is correct. Former Delta employee here. If your flight was cancelled outright, Chase would be able to cancel the tickets and get their money back from Delta. Since you're covered under a waiver, Delta is allowing you to use the money you (or Chase as your agent) has given them towards future tickets.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:34 pm

While transferring Chase points to an airline partner has the downside of such changes being irrevocable, one is in a much better position to change or cancel flights using frequent flier miles on the airline in question, even before current conditions. Working through Chase Travel creates the same problems booking through any OTA can cause.

Topic Author
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:37 am

OP here.

In response to various posts above.

Delta is offering to give me a Delta credit equal to 100% of the cash price of the tickets (when you buy tickets with Chase UR points thru Chase Travel, there is an actual $ price which you pay with points--in my case as a Sapphire Reserve customer, one point equals $.015).

The Points Guy post seems to says that Chase is being inconsistent on this issue:
Chase told TPG that in the event of a refund, “(you would be) refunded in your original form of payment. So if you booked with points you would be credited back in points.”

That said, not all data points paint the picture of that always being the case in practice. TPG is aware of a recent situation when a flight booked with a mix of Chase Ultimate Rewards points and dollars via Chase Travel could only be ‘refunded’ via Alaska Airlines for an Alaska Airlines credit to be used on a future flight. Meanwhile, TPG Senior Writer Ethan Steinberg received a full refund in points last week for a Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal booking he made on Cathay Pacific.
My flight was booked in March and so is covered by Delta's policy allowing cancellation for Delta credit for flights booked March 1 to April 15--regardless of when the flight is.

My plan is to try Chase Travel one more time by phone for a point refund. I dealt with Chase Travel thru chat yesterday, and my general experience with chat is that customer services reps are not as good/knowledgeable/accommodating as phone reps.

And I agree about OTAs. From now on I'm putting all my spending on my 2% Fidelity card and dealing directly with vendors for travel.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:43 am

cowdogman wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:37 am

And I agree about OTAs. From now on I'm putting all my spending on my 2% Fidelity card and dealing directly with vendors for travel.
Conversely in the future couldn’t you just transfer the Chase UR points to Delta Skymiles and buy the ticket with Skymiles? It would avoid this problem but still allow you to use Chase UR points.
“There is no problem so bad you can’t make it worse.” - Chris Hatfield, Astronaut mantra

Topic Author
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:57 am

ScubaHogg wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:43 am
cowdogman wrote:

Conversely in the future couldn’t you just transfer the Chase UR points to Delta Skymiles and buy the ticket with Skymiles? It would avoid this problem but still allow you to use Chase UR points.
Delta isn't a transfer partner with Chase.

dbr

Post by dbr » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:59 am

ScubaHogg wrote:
cowdogman wrote:

Delta isn't a partner for Chase points. There are lots of airlines that are. If a person is likely to fly Delta AMEX is the right credit card partner.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:04 am

cowdogman wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:57 am
ScubaHogg wrote:
cowdogman wrote:

Delta isn't a transfer partner with Chase.
Fair, I didn’t check first. :oops:
“There is no problem so bad you can’t make it worse.” - Chris Hatfield, Astronaut mantra

Topic Author
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:07 am

dbr wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:59 am
ScubaHogg wrote:
cowdogman wrote:

Delta isn't a partner for Chase points. There are lots of airlines that are. If a person is likely to fly Delta AMEX is the right credit card partner.
Agreed about AmEx. I'm just not a big fan of AmEx. Plus, point-for-point transfers from AmEx to Delta are very often not as lucrative as using point-for-$.015 on Chase's travel portal.

My conclusion after all this (and a previous negative experience with Chase Travel) is to take Fidelity's 2% rebate and pay cash for travel going forward.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:10 am

dbr wrote:
ScubaHogg wrote:
cowdogman wrote:

D’oh, I should have checked first. :oops:

But a quick search makes it look like you can effectively do it by transferring to Virgin Atlantic and booking a delta flight through them.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/redeem-c ... s-skyteam/

Disclaimer: I have not done this, but I have successfully done a similar process with Chase UR -> British Airways -> book a domestic AA ticket.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:14 am

ScubaHogg wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:10 am
dbr wrote:
ScubaHogg wrote:
cowdogman wrote:

But a quick search makes it look like you can effectively do it by transferring to Virgin Atlantic and booking a delta flight through them.

Disclaimer: I have not done this, but I have successfully done a similar process with Chase UR -> British Airways -> book a domestic AA ticket.
Correct, but only if there is partner space available for the flight you want. Partners don't have access to every flight that the carrier has, only what is released to them.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:26 am

cowdogman wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:07 am
dbr wrote:
ScubaHogg wrote:
cowdogman wrote:

Agreed about AmEx. I'm just not a big fan of AmEx. Plus, point-for-point transfers from AmEx to Delta are very often not as lucrative as using point-for-$.015 on Chase's travel portal.

My conclusion after all this (and a previous negative experience with Chase Travel) is to take Fidelity's 2% rebate and pay cash for travel going forward.
I don't see a problem with anything Chase says here. You booked a non-refundable ticket so Delta is not giving Chase the money back which would would give you the points back. Delta is keeping the money Chase gave them (from your points) and issuing you a credit. Everything is as expected to me.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

Topic Author
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:48 am

BW1985 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:26 am

I don't see a problem with anything Chase says here. You booked a non-refundable ticket so Delta is not giving Chase the money back which would would give you the points back. Delta is keeping the money Chase gave them (from your points) and issuing you a credit. Everything is as expected to me.
Agreed. I'm not complaining--just trying to figure out what is available.

For example, I had "non-refundable" Delta tickets to LA this week--purchased with a credit card (not points) from Delta in January--and when I called to cancel last week, Delta offered me a cash refund or a Delta credit. I took the cash and my credit card was credited the next day.

For the same trip, I had "non-refundable" hotel reservations in LA booked through Chase Travel with UR points. I called Chase Travel and it cancelled the reservation and gave me all my points back.

So, it seems the rules are being applied inconsistently or not being applied at all.

Again, I'm not complaining. I'm grateful Delta is offering a 100% credit. But I haven't given up on getting the UR point refund.

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:05 am

BW1985 wrote:
cowdogman wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:07 am
dbr wrote:
ScubaHogg wrote:
cowdogman wrote:

Agreed.

If the flights were cancelled, then Chase can get DL to refund the ticket back to original form of payment and then Chase can give you back UR points.

Since DL flights were not cancelled, Delta waiver allows for ticket price paid (sum of cash Chase collected from OP and cash Chase paid out to buy the ticket from UR points) to be turned into a credit.

cowdogman wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:48 am
BW1985 wrote:

Agreed. I'm not complaining--just trying to figure out what is available.

For example, I had "non-refundable" Delta tickets to LA this week--purchased with a credit card (not points) from Delta in January--and when I called to cancel last week, Delta offered me a cash refund or a Delta credit. I took the cash and my credit card was credited the next day.

For the same trip, I had "non-refundable" hotel reservations in LA booked through Chase Travel with UR points. I called Chase Travel and it cancelled the reservation and gave me all my points back.

So, it seems the rules are being applied inconsistently or not being applied at all.

Again, I'm not complaining. I'm grateful Delta is offering a 100% credit. But I haven't given up on getting the UR point refund.
It depends on what the specific hotel policy is concerning cancellations. Some hotel chains are allowing prepaid reservations to be cancelled and refunded in full while others are not allowing for it. So if the hotel is willing to give Chase back money they paid from UR points redemption, you can get your points back from Chase.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:17 am

BW1985 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:14 am
ScubaHogg wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:10 am
dbr wrote:
ScubaHogg wrote:
cowdogman wrote:

Correct, but only if there is partner space available for the flight you want. Partners don't have access to every flight that the carrier has, only what is released to them.
Yep, just one option.

Sage16

Re: Chase Travel--Cancelling Delta Flight

Post by Sage16 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:49 pm

2 weeks ago I cancelled flights to France that I had booked with UR points through Chase. They booked us on Delta but the flights were actually on Delta's partner Air France. We also paid extra to the airline via credit card to select our seats. I cancelled through Delta and they sent a cancel confirmation email that showed the dollar amount of the tickets and the refund going to an account number starting with a CA. After a couple days the credit card charges for seat selection were refunded to my credit card and after about a week the UR points (points not dollars) showed back up in my Chase account. So I was made whole by Delta.
Bogle on investing: Diversify, focus on low costs, invest for the long term. Don't speculate and don't be distracted by volatility.

e5116

Re: Chase Travel--Cancelling Delta Flight

Post by e5116 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:17 pm

Delta and most airlines are being understanding and usually providing refunds for flights canceled by them. United on the other hand....(I've had no luck except travel waivers/credits for canceled flights, so not getting my Chase points back. But that's because of absurd United policy that's at odds with the rest of the industry.)