any recommendations for a program that allows me to show my writing live?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
schmitz

any recommendations for a program that allows me to show my writing live?

Post by schmitz » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:04 pm

similar to what khan academy does. (except not for filming youtube videos)
where I can write on a tablet of some sort and then other people can watch what I write in real time?

BroIceCream

Re: any recommendations for a program that allows me to show my writing live?

Post by BroIceCream » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:34 am

Google docs allows sharing. If you make the document readonly/shared with others - anything you type can be viewed by others with that URL for the document, in real time.
You can even share write access -- helpful for remote "brainstorming" in the same document during a tele-call.

bigjeff

Post by bigjeff » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:31 am

I use https://screencast-o-matic.com/. Videos are limited to 15 minutes (without paid subscription). But, that should be enough for what you need.

onourway

Post by onourway » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:05 am

Where do you want to show you writing? Locally on a monitor/tv/projector, or live over the Internet?

The app GoodNotes for iPad is one of the best apps available for handwriting/notes, and it has a presentation mode for use over HDMI or Airplay, or you can use the built-in screen recording feature in iOS to capture a video to be shared.

Topic Author
schmitz

Post by schmitz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:41 pm

bigjeff wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:31 am
I use https://screencast-o-matic.com/. Videos are limited to 15 minutes (without paid subscription). But, that should be enough for what you need.
I actually was looking for longer than 15 minutes, even if its not free. I will check that link out - maybe it has a paid longer version.

thanks!

Topic Author
schmitz

Post by schmitz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:42 pm

BroIceCream wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:34 am
Google docs allows sharing. If you make the document readonly/shared with others - anything you type can be viewed by others with that URL for the document, in real time.
You can even share write access -- helpful for remote "brainstorming" in the same document during a tele-call.
I wanted more than a document to type on. Something like khan academy where I can show work/diagrams (specifically math problems)

Topic Author
schmitz

Post by schmitz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:43 pm

onourway wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:05 am
Where do you want to show you writing? Locally on a monitor/tv/projector, or live over the Internet?

The app GoodNotes for iPad is one of the best apps available for handwriting/notes, and it has a presentation mode for use over HDMI or Airplay, or you can use the built-in screen recording feature in iOS to capture a video to be shared.

live on the internet.

ill check out good notes - would I need the apple pen to make that work?

onourway

Post by onourway » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:00 pm

schmitz wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:43 pm
onourway wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:05 am

live on the internet.

ill check out good notes - would I need the apple pen to make that work?
You can use any stylus you like - Apple's will be the most accurate.

I'm not sure that Goodnotes is appropriate if you need to work live online. I suspect there are better apps dedicated to that kind of use. Goodnotes really only offers a presentation mode.

Topic Author
schmitz

Post by schmitz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:54 pm

ok it looks like Zoom can share a screen which should work well for me.

Just need a good program where I can write on some sort of digital pad and have that display live on my screen. any recommendations on that? preferably for a pc.

thanks again.

fwellimort

Post by fwellimort » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:58 pm

Youtube Live and Twitch (or any streaming sites) can handle this.

The only issues with streaming sites are what you show will be revealed to everyone.

If that's the issue, Zoom or Discord or Slack (etc), are valid options too.

For software, SmoothDraw is an option.
(it was what Khan Academy used to use)
Or Msft OneNote if you want it notebook style.

Topic Author
schmitz

Post by schmitz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:30 pm

fwellimort wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:58 pm
Youtube Live and Twitch (or any streaming sites) can handle this.

The only issues with streaming sites are what you show will be revealed to everyone.

If that's the issue, Zoom or Discord or Slack (etc), are valid options too.

For software, SmoothDraw is an option.
(it was what Khan Academy used to use)
Or Msft OneNote if you want it notebook style.

awesome thanks. ill check smoothdraw and onenote out.

I assume I would need to buy a tablet and stylus - any recommendations for those?

Topic Author
schmitz

Post by schmitz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:35 pm

looks like khan academy used wacom - anyone have experience with those tablets? ive never heard of them before

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:08 pm

schmitz wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:54 pm

Just need a good program where I can write on some sort of digital pad and have that display live on my screen. any recommendations on that? preferably for a pc.

thanks again.
schmitz wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:35 pm
looks like khan academy used wacom - anyone have experience with those tablets? ive never heard of them before
On Zoom, click on the Share icon and select Whiteboard. Then you can use a mouse, touch screen, or stylus to write on it and share it live with the participants. You can also record it to post later.

I've had good experiences with Wacom digitizing screens. I personally have a Dell XPS 13 which has a built-in Wacom digitizing screen, so I haven't used their stand-alone tablets. Prior to that, I had a Surface Pro with a Wacom digitizing screen.

Several of my co-workers use stand-alone Wacom tablets though. Most of them have the Wacom Intuos CTL 4100, which can be found in the $70-80 range from several online retailers.

Topic Author
schmitz

Post by schmitz » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:52 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:08 pm
schmitz wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:54 pm

thanks again.
schmitz wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:35 pm
On Zoom, click on the Share icon and select Whiteboard. Then you can use a mouse, touch screen, or stylus to write on it and share it live with the participants. You can also record it to post later.

I've had good experiences with Wacom digitizing screens. I personally have a Dell XPS 13 which has a built-in Wacom digitizing screen, so I haven't used their stand-alone tablets. Prior to that, I had a Surface Pro with a Wacom digitizing screen.

Several of my co-workers use stand-alone Wacom tablets though. Most of them have the Wacom Intuos CTL 4100, which can be found in the $70-80 range from several online retailers.
awesome. thanks. after what ive been reading sounds like wacom is a good product to go with.

followup question - is it worth it to upgrade to the digital screen ones (like Wacom Cintiq 16)? they are much more expensive and I definitely am not going to use it for any digital graphics/art. is the regular tablets good enough for just displaying my writing onto my computer screen?

cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:23 pm

I've used a web site www.limnu.com before to help my daughter through some of her math courses back when I was travelling, and it worked well. Basically it's just a digital whiteboard that you can share with others - her and I would call each other and use the whiteboard to work out examples. Her and I each have touch screen Chromebooks with a stylus that we use to write on the screen. Cost is like $5 a month to create a shareable whiteboard, and others (to whom you grant permission) can view and interact with it for no cost.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:00 pm

schmitz wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:52 pm
awesome. thanks. after what ive been reading sounds like wacom is a good product to go with.

followup question - is it worth it to upgrade to the digital screen ones (like Wacom Cintiq 16)? they are much more expensive and I definitely am not going to use it for any digital graphics/art. is the regular tablets good enough for just displaying my writing onto my computer screen?
Besides the price consideration (and that's a pretty steep price differential), think about how much you need the visual feedback while writing and how much is just muscle memory. Even with the basic tablets, you'll have the monitor for visual feedback, but it's not as precise as having a digitizing screen. It's somewhat like using a more natural version of a mouse, in that you're moving a virtual pen on the monitor and are looking at the monitor to place the next brush stroke, rather than looking down at the paper like you would with a regular pen.

So it's a matter of how you can adapt to that visual environment. As an experiment, try using your mouse on the Zoom whiteboard screen and see how well you can reposition the mouse cursor when making symbols that require multiple brush strokes. If you're happy with how you can reposition the cursor for the next brush strokes with a mouse, the basic tablet should be fine. It will be much easier to make the brush strokes with the stylus, and repositioning the cursor using just the monitor visual feedback is a very similar process.

Edit to add: If you really want to get a Wacom tablet with a built-in screen display, then you might want to get a Wacom One with a screen, which is only around $400, rather than the Cintiq 16.

Topic Author
schmitz

Post by schmitz » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:18 pm

cockersx3 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:23 pm
I've used a web site www.limnu.com before to help my daughter through some of her math courses back when I was travelling, and it worked well. Basically it's just a digital whiteboard that you can share with others - her and I would call each other and use the whiteboard to work out examples. Her and I each have touch screen Chromebooks with a stylus that we use to write on the screen. Cost is like $5 a month to create a shareable whiteboard, and others (to whom you grant permission) can view and interact with it for no cost.
thank you.

how would we connect via limnu? say I call someone on zoom, how would I then get them on the limnu white board?

Topic Author
schmitz

Post by schmitz » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:20 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:00 pm
schmitz wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:52 pm

Besides the price consideration (and that's a pretty steep price differential), think about how much you need the visual feedback while writing and how much is just muscle memory. Even with the basic tablets, you'll have the monitor for visual feedback, but it's not as precise as having a digitizing screen. It's somewhat like using a more natural version of a mouse, in that you're moving a virtual pen on the monitor and are looking at the monitor to place the next brush stroke, rather than looking down at the paper like you would with a regular pen.

So it's a matter of how you can adapt to that visual environment. As an experiment, try using your mouse on the Zoom whiteboard screen and see how well you can reposition the mouse cursor when making symbols that require multiple brush strokes. If you're happy with how you can reposition the cursor for the next brush strokes with a mouse, the basic tablet should be fine. It will be much easier to make the brush strokes with the stylus, and repositioning the cursor using just the monitor visual feedback is a very similar process.

Edit to add: If you really want to get a Wacom tablet with a built-in screen display, then you might want to get a Wacom One with a screen, which is only around $400, rather than the Cintiq 16.
exactly what I was thinking. using the mouse is a little awkward but using the stylus im sure makes it better. but I do agree with the potential concern of writing on a tablet while looking at the screen.

but the price differential is pretty steep, like you said. $70 vs $400 :shock:

are both the wacom CTL4100 and wacom one both easily to use and connect to my computer screen?

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:58 pm

schmitz wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:20 pm
are both the wacom CTL4100 and wacom one both easily to use and connect to my computer screen?
Without knowing your system specifics, I can't say how easy it is. If it's a supported OS (recent versions of Windows and Mac), then it's fairly straightforward. If your system doesn't have the right drivers already, you can get them from Wacom. For other OSes, the support varies.

On my system, once the system recognizes the stylus, it's treated like a mouse by most programs. A few programs can detect the pressure sensitivity of the stylus to vary the width/intensity of the brush stroke. But for basic inking, which is what it sounds like you're doing, it works perfectly fine even if the program doesn't detect the pressure sensitivity.