TLH out of VTI to VV to VOO...do I go back into VTI?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
ndnboy

TLH out of VTI to VV to VOO...do I go back into VTI?

Post by ndnboy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:04 pm

TLH out of VTI to VV to VOO...I still have 2 weeks before my 30 day wait for VTI, do I go back into VTI, or stay in VOO?

If VOO holds onto current gains, sell and have STG offset against STL in VTI/VV, or just stay in VOO, using ALL STL to offset STG, LTG with tax carry over moving forward...

dbr

Re: TLH out of VTI to VV to VOO...do I go back into VTI?

Post by dbr » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:07 pm

The general idea is that if the replacement funds have gains then you keep them, perhaps forever. If you don't like that you can pay the tax cost to take the gain and go back.

That is one reason it might sometimes be better to hold cash and buy back the original position after thirty days.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:12 pm

Have you looked at ITOT for a VTI substitute?

Topic Author
ndnboy

Post by ndnboy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:19 pm

I've like the total market exposure of VTI better but I guess keeping VOO and SP outlook will work without the taxes on STGs.

Hadn't looked at ITOT, figured if I took the STG I would just go back into VTI.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:39 pm

If you have a tax-advantaged account, one way to avoid getting locked into a TLH partner is to move to a MM/bond fund in your taxable account, while simultaneously moving bonds/MM to stocks in your tax-advantaged account. Then reverse after 30 days (the MM/bond fund shouldn't have much in the way of cap gains).