What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
wilson08

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by wilson08 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:30 pm

Sorry We Missed You

Story of a struggling working class family in present
day UK. The father works for a demanding, unforgiving,
delivery service and the mother is a healthcare worker
making house calls. Throw in a moody, troubled, teenage
son and it is a nightmare.
A fairly depressing movie with only one redeeming
feature: it will make you profoundly thankful that you
are not in those circumstances.
Viewed at a theater, in fact the last movie I viewed
at a theater before they were shut down.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:39 pm

pennywise wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:50 am
Just finished Lady Macbeth starring Florence Pugh, an indie film made in 2017 about a young bride in an arranged marriage in 19th century England who gets into some pretty dark situations that start with an adulterous affair. It was very brooding and well acted, if rather grim.

PSA: I watched it on the streaming platform Kanopy.com which is a great resource if you have access. It features a lot of independent and classic films and documentaries. You register via your local library system and also if you are a student or professor (employee) of many participating universities.

It's well worth checking to see if you can join this site, especially during the period of not being able to go out for one's movie fix :happy
Thanks! I just added this movie to my queue a couple days ago. Kanopy has some great movies.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:03 pm

We just watched "Knives Out".

Great escape from real life!

Quite a story line to have dreamed up.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:27 pm

Bullitt (1968) Steve McQueen, Robt. Vaughan, Jacqueline Bisset, Robt. Duvall, Don Gordon

An all guts, no glory San Francisco cop becomes determined to find the underworld kingpin that killed the witness in his protection.

Good flick. Worth it just for the car chase. By all means see it.

I watched it on broadcast TV via TiVo.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:39 pm

travellight wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:10 am
Miriam2 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:25 pm
"The Lehman Trilogy"

Directed by Sam Mendes and Ben Power.

This is a movie that was filmed of a play live on stage in London and is now being shown in smaller theaters by National Theatre Live.

"How do you tell an epic story with just three actors and a piano?"

I have seen this film twice. It is riveting. You've never seen anything like it. Only three extraordinary actors play all the parts, in the same costumes, in the same setting, with few props and backdrops, with only a piano accompaniment - they tell the Lehman Brothers story spanning 160 years, from its beginning in Montgomery, Alabama, to its bankruptcy in the 2008 recession. It's acting and story-telling at its best.

Here is the link to National Theatre Live "The Lehman Trilogy" with a preview and a link to find the closest movie showings.
http://ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk/pr ... an-trilogy

Here are some reviews, describing the film better than I can.
In the beginning, there is nothing. And in the end, there is --- nothing, once again.

Such is the way of all flesh, no? And, since the subject here is the accumulation of money, let's say the way of all cash, too. But in this case, out of nothing there emerges such a heaving ferment of aspiration, energy, tenacity and audacity that you're left reeling by the scope and vitality of it all.

That, in essence, is what the magnificent play "The Lehman Trilogy" at the Park Avenue Armory, both is about and, more important, simply is. This genuinely epic production out of London, directed with surging sweep and fine-tooled precision by Sam Mendes, charts the history of the financial institution that would come to be known as Lehman Brothers, from its humble origins to its epical implosion, over a span of three centuries and many generations.

A Magnificent Road to Ruin in "The Lehman Trilogy"
But what makes this work a ticket worth cashing in your gilt-edged securities for are its three extraordinary actors, who are the sole occupants of the vast Lyttelton stage for nearly 180 minutes. They are Simon Russell Beale, Ben Miles and Adam Godley. Behold them with wonder, humble theatergoer, for they are multitudes.

"The Lehman Trilogy" is a Transfixing Epic of Riches and Ruin
The set for "The Lehman Trilogy" is a giant glass box, an 800-square-foot rotating, transparent cube within which three extravagantly resourceful actors inhabit the dreams, doubts and ambitions of three siblings who founded a mighty financial empire, along with their various spouses, descendants and successors over the course of more than 160 years that ended in disgrace. If that encasement might give the impression of a museum piece, an airless history lesson, don't be fooled. This is theatrical storytelling at its most thrilling, a work of novelistic sweep and operatic crescendos, as rich in incisive character detail as it is in breathtaking visual coups.

Over three generations, the Lehman's trajectory steadily distances them, first from the raw materials they trade in and then from the industries for which they serve as brokers, until commodities like cotton, iron, coal, coffee, tobacco and even military arms become just words. The transition is complete when Philip Lehman, the first son born in New York, triumphantly declares, "We use money to make more money."

There's been no shortage of plays, movies and books dealing with the financial crisis. But "The Lehman Trilogy" stands apart because it has less interest in the mechanisms of the crash - or even in such standard subtext as the deification of wealth and the cult of greed - than in the ways the psychological groundwork for it all is woven into the very fabric of the American Dream.

"The Lehman Trilogy" Theater Review
Although the play is returning to New York in March 2020, you don't need to pay Broadway ticket prices. This film is perfect, far less expensive and you sit up front :happy
This looks terrific. I couldn't find it to watch it though. Is it available online?
I'm not sure if it's available on-line. Here is the link to National Theatre Live "The Lehman Trilogy" with a trailer preview and a link to find the closest movie showings. http://ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk/pr ... an-trilogy

Harley BenV

Post by Harley BenV » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:08 am

Recently watched 'A Quiet Place' on Hulu Australia. But the sad thing is that, A Quiet Place part 2 is postponed and the date is not given. :(

Chicken Little

Post by Chicken Little » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:11 am

'The Platform'

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:03 am

Instant Family, on Amazon Prime.

A middle aged couple (Mark Wahlberg and Rose Byrne) start a family as foster parents to three children of a crack addict. I recommend this comedy.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:35 pm

The lockdown of DW's nursing home will last for I don't know how long, so I've started starting watching old DVDs I haven't seen in ages. Last night I watched Sharpe's Rifles. Tonight will be Sharpe's Eagle. I've got them all so I'll just keep watching one per night until I've seen them all or until the lockdown is lifted.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Stef

Post by Stef » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:43 pm

Contagion

Watched it back in 2011 and now once again. Now I'm pretty pessimistic about our future :oops:

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:39 am

Self Quarantining is resulting in lots of movies being watched for sure....

Them That Follow - OK not sure it's for everyone. Was interesting from the perspective of folks that practice handling of snakes as part of their faith.

1917 - OK was alright. Would recommend but don't expect much.

Blood On Her Hands - It was OK and not a Dud.

Midway - the new one. OK and would recommend. Also good to watch the old one.

Crawl - dumb and dumber - but living along the Gulf Coast and seeing gators regular in the oilfields.....Best to watch with salty snacks and a cooler of iced down beers..... :sharebeer

The Nightingale - we enjoyed it, would recommend.

Black '47 - we liked it, good pay'em back for wrongs inflicted

The Veteran - good gun handling in a shoot'em up. Would recommend if your all John Wicked out....

A Star Is Born - the new one. Love the music. Would recommend.

The Wind That Shakes The Barley - Would recommend. I have worked with men from the UK, Ireland and Scotland for the last 17 years - and I've had the issue explained to me many times over and I just can't understand the hard feelings that exist to this day. So I like shows like this.
Also Michael Collins is recommended for the same reason

The Long Riders and Josey Wales - just because they are good to rewatch

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:34 am

Getting our Apple TV set up, and added HBO Go last night. We were looking for a comedy and settled on "An Ideal Husband", the 1999 English film based on Oscar Wilde's play. Julienne Moore and Rupert Everett both picked up Golden Globe nominations. Very enjoyable with Wilde's witty repartee throughout.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:41 am

Sharpe's Eagle last night. Sharpe's Company tonight.

FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:58 pm

The best streaming genre for adults during the coronavirus lockdown is Nordic Noir. There are grisly killings, nudity, foul language, rape, incest, red herring chases and maybe justice at the end. The lead detective is usually a single woman, single mom or lesbian. The male side kick is usually an alcoholic, divorcee or a transferee for transgressions in a previous assignment. I highly recommend Nordic Noir. You can google it to get some titles. BTW, our president believes that immigrants from Nordic countries are the best. He once claimed to be Swedish, to hide his Germany ancestry from Jews in New York City.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:14 pm

We love NordicNoir, but usually just in TV series, for the reasons enumerated above. Film recommendations?
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:33 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:14 pm
We love NordicNoir, but usually just in TV series, for the reasons enumerated above. Film recommendations?
I didn't know NordicNoir was a genre, but I enjoy it too. As for a film recommendation, I would say "In Order of Disappearance" fits the category, although maybe not the tighter definition above.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Life Itself on Amazon Prime. I liked it (although I'm not very picky). In the end I was in tears and contemplated writing an end-of-life letter to my children.

I watched Unorthodox (miniseries) yesterday as well on Netflix. Loved it.

Watched Miss Fisher and the Crypt of Tears on Acorn TV. It was a socially-distancing group viewing with a friend in another state and my daughter, her partner, and her partner's mom all in a house in a nearby city. I am immune-compromised and alone in my condo. We started it at the same time and texted comments to each other while watching it. Earlier in the day, I was delighted to discover that my Acorn membership allows four simultaneous streaming devices, so I promptly shared it with one family member and one dear friend. Still deciding who will get the fourth login!

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:53 pm

CSNY/Déjà Vu (2008) Starring Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young

The war in Iraq is the backdrop as the Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young "Freedom of Speech Tour" crisscrosses North America. Echoes of Vietnam-era anti-war sentiment abound as the band connects with today's audiences.

I liked the music, not much else. It seemed dated and depressing. I attended one of these concerts. The Iraq war was a hot topic back then and nobody cares anymore, just like the Vietnam war. Everything passes and is forgotten. These guys seem so old and this was 14 years ago! And they’re presented as still being great friends but now Crosby and Young won’t even speak to each other.

We watched it on Roku. (The sound track was not synchronized, it was off by ten to fifteen seconds, and it kept getting stuck. I ascribe this to the probable millions of people stuck at home streaming Roku).
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:59 pm

Stef wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:43 pm
Contagion

Watched it back in 2011 and now once again. Now I'm pretty pessimistic about our future :oops:

I watched Contagion about a week ago.... slightly worse in that movie than what we have now, but pretty much spot on for predicting what's going on.

I also watched Terminator: Dark Fate and the 2019 version of The Lion King.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:37 pm

War Games.

For a movie released in 1983 or so, it has aged well.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:59 pm

Awakenings is the story of the survivors the Encephalitis lethargica pandemic of the early 20th century and their remarkable physician Dr. Oliver Sacks. It stars Robert De Nero and Robin Williams, directed by Penny Marshall.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

telemark

Post by telemark » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:34 pm

Capsu78 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:54 am
"The Adjustment Bureau" with Matt Damon and Emily Blunt on HBO. It was starting as I was surfing for other interesting movies, so I had no idea of what was in the trailer... I probably would not have watched had I seen one, as whatever genre the movie was is is not really my favorite genre.
I did watch it to the end and it sucked me into it's premise.
I'll give it a mild thumbs up.
italics mine

It's based on a short story by Philip Dick, so Gnostic SF, perhaps?

It's been a while since I saw it, but I remember thinking it was well done.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:15 pm

Just finished watching Sharpe's Company.

Tomorrow will be Sharpe's Enemy.

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:22 am

Random Poster wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:37 pm
War Games.

For a movie released in 1983 or so, it has aged well.
"A strange game: the only winning move is not to play." I've found that this applies to many things in life.

Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:03 am

The Big Short. Incredible movie, won or nominated for a bunch of awards. Timely, given the current state of the economy. And oh so entertaining.

Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:04 am

telemark wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:34 pm
Capsu78 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:54 am
"The Adjustment Bureau" with Matt Damon and Emily Blunt on HBO. It was starting as I was surfing for other interesting movies, so I had no idea of what was in the trailer... I probably would not have watched had I seen one, as whatever genre the movie was is is not really my favorite genre.
I did watch it to the end and it sucked me into it's premise.
I'll give it a mild thumbs up.
italics mine

It's based on a short story by Philip Dick, so Gnostic SF, perhaps?

It's been a while since I saw it, but I remember thinking it was well done.
I give it two very big thumbs up and so did my family when I watched with them (me for the second time). It rewards a repeat viewing.

hillman

Post by hillman » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:14 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:03 pm
We just watched "Knives Out".

Great escape from real life!

Quite a story line to have dreamed up.

RM
It is my favorite movie of the past few years. Highly, highly recommend it!