[Chromebook recommendation]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fishmonger

[Chromebook recommendation]

Post by fishmonger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:26 pm

Looked through a number of threads here but didn't see exactly the answer I was looking for. Our old Dell laptop from 2012 is finally about to die out (in a Boglehead way we keep laptops forever ). We are looking to get a Chromebook as a replacement.

I was shocked to see them start at $100 on Amazon? I know a lot has changed but what is a good middle of the road option? We have very little need for storage - pictures, documents, etc. for the most part are all on Google Drive. We don't play video games, don't care about screen size for movie watching and have no music libraries to save. I would like the Microsoft Office suite, but could get away with using Google Sheets.

It would simply be something that we use occasionally on the weekends to surf the web and things of that nature. DW and I both have work laptops that could handle any heavy lifting, but we loath bringing them home. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

SeaToTheBay

Re: Chromebook

Post by SeaToTheBay » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:42 pm

We got one about 2yrs ago for $230 (fairly large screen - 15" I think?) and it's our main computer at home for all things on the web. It's pretty quick and does the job, would recommend. Particular starting/waking up, it's much faster than a Windows computer with a standard disk hard drive.

bgf

Post by bgf » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:56 pm

ive had several and love them. dont need anything more.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

mega317

Post by mega317 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:34 pm

A chromebook sounds appropriate for your needs. There are ways to try out laptops without committing. You can buy from Best Buy which has a 14 or 15 day return policy for laptops. Costco might be 90 days. I'm sure there are others. I believe Amazon will not take back an opened laptop.

In what way is your Dell dying? You could try to revive it, and try out Chrome OS at the same time.
viewtopic.php?t=255339
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212

Puretaxableindexer

Re: [Chromebook recommendation]

Post by Puretaxableindexer » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:54 am

When my Windows 7 PC died 5 years ago I decided to buy a Chromebox and a Chromebook, I will never go back to Windows again. ChromeOS is much faster, safer, error free. It boots up in seconds and closes that way too. I also have millions of Android Apps included.
I use Google Sheets and Google's Word version instead of Office. I still have a Windows 10 laptop from years ago that I only use occasionally. To me, all versions of Windows are a gigantic security hole, which makes it garbage.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:14 am

fishmonger wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:26 pm
... I was shocked to see them start at $100 on Amazon?...
That's pretty cheap. Are you sure they weren't refurbished? One thing you need to be aware of with Chromebooks is their auto update policy ( https://support.google.com/chrome/a/ans ... 0366?hl=en ). Basically Google drops support of specific models after approximately five years. And the five years is from the date the system was released, not from when you purchase it. So even though a refurbished CB hardware is good, you need to be know when Google support for the model you're considering will be terminated.

I have two Chromebooks. One is no longer supported so I don't use it anymore. Support on the other was due to be discontinued last year, but Google decided to continue it another two years.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:17 am

If you are happy with Google docs and just browse the web, a chrome book is perfect. We “splurged” on a Pixelbook (googles in house chromebook), but even that’s still cheap compared to any Apple product. That might be overkill for you.
“There is no problem so bad you can’t make it worse.” - Chris Hatfield, Astronaut mantra

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:42 am

I bought a Chromebook 2 years ago (Asus 302A) and have been satisfied with it. Rather than focus on speed or storage, my attention was on display and keyboard. In addition, the model I purchased was, at the time, one of the few that supported Android apps.

At one time I had it set up to also boot in Linux; over time I liked to Linux experience so much I installed it on my other machine (ThinkPad X230) and removed it from the Chromebook. It worked fine as a Linux (Mint) machine.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Ramjet

Post by Ramjet » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:59 am

ScubaHogg wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:17 am
If you are happy with Google docs and just browse the web, a chrome book is perfect. We “splurged” on a Pixelbook (googles in house chromebook), but even that’s still cheap compared to any Apple product. That might be overkill for you.
My Pixelbook Go is in the mail, It was about $650

rj49

Post by rj49 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:46 pm

My advice is to get one with an HD screen, because it makes it much nicer to use. The newer ones try to justify higher price with gimmicks like a touch screen or folding to make it like a tablet, but I found that a 14-15" HD screen makes it much more pleasant to use (especially if you're used to the retina screen on an ipad or other tablet). A quick search of Best Buy HD screen shows several good candidates, including an HP and Acer with HD screens for $199. The other thing I advise is to download a good ad blocker, which makes Chrome much more pleasant to use...I use AdblockPlus.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:11 pm

fishmonger wrote:
Looked through a number of threads here but didn't see exactly the answer I was looking for. Our old Dell laptop from 2012 is finally about to die out (in a Boglehead way we keep laptops forever ). We are looking to get a Chromebook as a replacement.
Chromebooks are great if it meets your needs, but they're really only good enough. Plenty of cheap chromebooks, but they tend to be slow and underpowered. And higher spec chromebooks aren't cheap.

What's wrong with your Dell laptop? Model/specs? Chances are many chromebooks would perform at similar levels, so if the battery isn't dead or other hardware problem, it might not need to be replaced. If you can optimize your current system or load linux or cloudready https://www.neverware.com/freedownload , it might keep you going for a while longer.

If you really need something immediately, these are decent choices to consider at the $200 and $300 price points:

https://www.costco.com/lenovo-14%22-chr ... 19452.html

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FHD-Storage- ... /584873797

Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:24 pm

Thanks for the replies y'all. Anyone know of a version with a keypad?

Puretaxableindexer

Post by Puretaxableindexer » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:25 pm

I have a Chromebook and Chromebox. I love Asus Chromebox and either a Samsung/Acer Chromebook. Before you buy make sure you have Android apps and check the end of life date for Chrome OS updates because it's not based on when you bought the unit but when it came out. If it's an unusually low price it may be because the end of life updates are nearer. The difference in end of life could be 2 or 3 years lost, and that's a big deal. This has happened to me with an older Asus Chromebox. It works great but no longer gets updates. Check the model number with https://support.google.com/chrome/a/ans ... 0366?hl=en.
Also, get more RAM if you can. I have 8 GB with my newer Asus Chromebox.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:36 pm

fishmonger wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:24 pm
Why the need for keypad?

That's quite an unusual request. I didn't know they made them that way. There are already some peculiar changes to chrome keyboards one needs to adapt to. Anyway, if that's a requirement, your choices are going to be extremely limited.

https://chromeunboxed.com/hp-chromebook ... numberpad/

Or you could try a bluetooth keypad as an alternative.

BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:37 pm

Chromebooks are pretty cheap depending on the features and power you want, and it sounds like you would enjoy one. Windows 10 certainly is not the best OS out there and for what you need a computer to do the Chromebook can handle it. Why pay so much for Windows when you don't need it?

I would buy Chromebooks for our future kids because they don't need anything fancy or high-powered.
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig

ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:39 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Chromebook-Touch ... B07Q2RB6BY

My friend and I both have the ASUS Chromebook flip and it's perfect. Touchscreen comes in handy more than I would have thought, it's super responsive, and it looks sleek instead of cheap.

Would highly recommend it given your use cases.

You can even get a used or refurb one for even cheaper on eBay

Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:47 am

inbox788 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:36 pm
fishmonger wrote:
Why the need for keypad?

That's quite an unusual request. I didn't know they made them that way. There are already some peculiar changes to chrome keyboards one needs to adapt to. Anyway, if that's a requirement, your choices are going to be extremely limited.

Not sure it's that unusual of a request. My 9-5 is as a controller for a roofing company, I'm treasurer for a local NPO and generally just liked the keypad for budgeting, investing, etc.

InvestingGeek

Post by InvestingGeek » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:05 pm

Another vote for the Asus 302A. Does everything we need, except for three things for which I still need to resort to our old Macbook:

1. Work natively with encrypted disk image files. I use those for financial records and statements.

2. Natively let me move pdf pages around, merge pdfs etc. I need that to collect monthly statements and such into one file.

3. Use the scanner. I have a Canon Mx920 printer scanner copier and it doesn't work with the Asus.

snailderby

Post by snailderby » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:09 pm

fishmonger wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:47 am
inbox788 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:36 pm
fishmonger wrote:
Why the need for keypad?

Not sure it's that unusual of a request. My 9-5 is as a controller for a roofing company, I'm treasurer for a local NPO and generally just liked the keypad for budgeting, investing, etc.
I think Acer and HP introduced Chromebooks with keypads last year. The Acer Chromebook 715 and HP Chromebook 15.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:59 pm

fishmonger wrote:
It would simply be something that we use occasionally on the weekends to surf the web and things of that nature. DW and I both have work laptops that could handle any heavy lifting, but we loath bringing them home. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
My wife has had this for over 5 years, it still works like new: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N3ODBBA/

The newer versions might be even cheaper. Plenty out there. Very competitive prices these days.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:35 pm

We got my wife a Chromebook Plus almost 3 years ago. It's got a very nice brushed metal feeling shell and a QHD touch display.

The new Chromebook Plus/Pro no longer have QHD, just FHD. So we are sticking with our older model. It has been superb and our total out the door was $350 for it in May of 2017. I think FHD resolution is terribly outdated for modern computing. QHD or Apple Retina should be the standard, if you can find a deal.

As I go searching on Best Buy, Chromebooks have definitely crept up in price. The cheap ones are lacking in features.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:47 pm

InvestingGeek wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:05 pm
Another vote for the Asus 302A. Does everything we need, except for three things for which I still need to resort to our old Macbook:

1. Work natively with encrypted disk image files. I use those for financial records and statements.

2. Natively let me move pdf pages around, merge pdfs etc. I need that to collect monthly statements and such into one file.

3. Use the scanner. I have a Canon Mx920 printer scanner copier and it doesn't work with the Asus.
One additional vote.

I got DW one of these two years ago as a Christmas gift to replace her previous Chromebook that she had practically destroyed. She is very rough on electronics *sigh*. This one is still going strong, and my trouble-shooting chores for her dropped practically to zero.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:09 pm

Not sure if it works for all printers but this video demonstrates how I was able to cloud scan from my Chrome OS notebook to my Brother printer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YM-LC5DOCI
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:45 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:59 pm
fishmonger wrote:
My wife has had this for over 5 years, it still works like new: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N3ODBBA/

The newer versions might be even cheaper. Plenty out there. Very competitive prices these days.
I had that same model (or possibly a slightly older or newer version) for some years. Originally purchased for a distant elderly relative that became mine when it was no longer needed.

No complaints, it was the cheapest one with a larger screen. It’s life abruptly ended when after a move it basically wouldn’t boot properly.

If you need a larger screen I’d recommend it. It did the job at a reasonable price point.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:05 pm

snailderby wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:09 pm
fishmonger wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:47 am
I think Acer and HP introduced Chromebooks with keypads last year. The Acer Chromebook 715 and HP Chromebook 15.
Well, if the need was more common, they probably wouldn't have waited so long to introduce them. Most people aren't entering a lot of numeric data into some website or heavily using Google Sheets, but I expect such use is increasing a bit.
JoeRetire wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:59 pm

Chromebook performance doesn't degrade the way Windows gets bogged down as new programs are added, but website demands continue to increase and give the impression your computer is slowing down. So while this system may be just fine for DW, I would avoid it and most ARM processor Chromebooks and other slow processors. I'd suggest a recent Intel Celeron and 4GB RAM as minimum requirements. Intel Core processors are faster, but typically cost quite a bit more.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:20 pm

I highly recommend the Pixelbook. I prefer it over much more expensive Windows PCs. It has a keyboard and trackpad more on par with a Macbook Pro than a cheap laptop. It goes on sale around black Friday for $700 usually.

The Samsung Chromebook Pro is another I have that I like. You can get it for around $450 on black Friday sales. It performs about as well as the Pixelbook, but the keyboard and touchpad just aren't quite as nice.

Just keep in mind if you're used to higher end WIndows or Mac laptops, you'll want to stick with a higher end Chromebook ($400+ range). You'll likely be disappointed with a cheap chromebook. But if you're used to a really old laptop, then any Chromebook in the $200 range can work just as good.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:49 pm

Ramjet wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:59 am
ScubaHogg wrote:
I am considering getting my wife a Pixelbook Go to replace her Samsung Chromebook 2. Thoughts on the Pixelbook Go?

RomeoMustDie

Post by RomeoMustDie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:56 pm

fishmonger wrote:

I was shocked to see them start at $100 on Amazon? I know a lot has changed but what is a good middle of the road option? We have very little need for storage - pictures, documents, etc. for the most part are all on Google Drive. We don't play video games, don't care about screen size for movie watching and have no music libraries to save. I would like the Microsoft Office suite, but could get away with using Google Sheets.

Get a Lenovo machine just for microsoft office as that seems like your only real use case.

Google Sheets is far inferior to MS Excel.

If you want to play with a fancy new OS there is no issue with sticking in a thumb drive and installing dual boot.

Web browsing isn't really a use case for a laptop. Phones are more convenient and you can toggle on desktop versions of sites using your web browser.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:05 pm

RomeoMustDie wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:56 pm
You need to really clarify this comment. In what specific ways does Excel beat Sheets? It might be things that most people don't care about.
Web browsing isn't really a use case for a laptop. Phones are more convenient and you can toggle on desktop versions of sites using your web browser.
But surely you can accept the fact that not everyone agrees with you on this.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212

RomeoMustDie

Post by RomeoMustDie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:09 pm

mega317 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:05 pm
RomeoMustDie wrote:
You need to really clarify this comment. In what specific ways does Excel beat Sheets? It might be things that most people don't care about.
Excel has deeper functions, power query, macros, and pivot tables to name a few.

Web browsing on a laptop is a preference. It doesn't provide functionality above and beyond what a phone does.

Ramjet

Post by Ramjet » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:00 pm

BeneIRA wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:49 pm
Ramjet wrote:
ScubaHogg wrote:
I am considering getting my wife a Pixelbook Go to replace her Samsung Chromebook 2. Thoughts on the Pixelbook Go?
Have had it for a month, it's awesome. Great battery, easy to use, easy to set up, small and compact for travel. All in all, highly recommend.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:17 pm

RomeoMustDie wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:09 pm
mega317 wrote:
RomeoMustDie wrote:
Excel has deeper functions, power query, macros, and pivot tables to name a few.

Web browsing on a laptop is a preference. It doesn't provide functionality above and beyond what a phone does.
Have you tried any of these things in Google sheets? Sheets has pivot tables. It also has google apps scripts, which is the equivalent of programming macros in Excel. I know Excel is more polished in some things, I just find it hard to believe that most people actually use those things. I've never used power query, but it looks like that has no equivalent feature in Sheets.

I'm just a mediocre (at best) programmer, but I don't find google apps scripting language any harder or more inconvenient than the VGA used in Excel. In some ways I like the google apps scripting better. I can run a google apps script to open my investment portfolio on a set day/time, update the numbers, and save the historical value in a google sheet all automatically. I don't think something like that is near as easy to do in Excel.

When it boils down to it, Excel and Sheets are just different. Most people already know Excel, so they don't want to take the time to learn Sheets. I can sympathize, but Sheets being free was a powerful motivator for me to learn it.

RomeoMustDie

Post by RomeoMustDie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:51 pm

Gadget wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:17 pm
RomeoMustDie wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:09 pm
mega317 wrote:
RomeoMustDie wrote:

Have you tried any of these things in Google sheets? Sheets has pivot tables. It also has google apps scripts, which is the equivalent of programming macros in Excel. I know Excel is more polished in some things, I just find it hard to believe that most people actually use those things. I've never used power query, but it looks like that has no equivalent feature in Sheets.

I'm just a mediocre (at best) programmer, but I don't find google apps scripting language any harder or more inconvenient than the VGA used in Excel. In some ways I like the google apps scripting better. I can run a google apps script to open my investment portfolio on a set day/time, update the numbers, and save the historical value in a google sheet all automatically. I don't think something like that is near as easy to do in Excel.

When it boils down to it, Excel and Sheets are just different. Most people already know Excel, so they don't want to take the time to learn Sheets. I can sympathize, but Sheets being free was a powerful motivator for me to learn it.
Not sure, I hate both applications and use Power BI desktop.

Seems sheets has progressed and gives some good value though.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:20 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:11 pm
Chromebooks are great if it meets your needs, but they're really only good enough. Plenty of cheap chromebooks, but they tend to be slow and underpowered. And higher spec chromebooks aren't cheap.
I disagree.

My wife and I have been using Chromebooks for many years (since I retired) and have never found them to be slow or underpowered for everyday use (vs. business or gaming purposes). Not only are they a joy to use but they are more secure and much easier to maintain (automatic software updates, no antivirus to worry about, etc.).

At this time we're both using 2-1/2 year old Samsung Chromebook Plus machines that were $350 new. Both are still going strong and neither is sluggish or underpowered for anything we use them for, including streaming. I don't like buying at the very low end of the price range because I want my machines to last for awhile, although if they don't it's no great inconvenience because little if anything is stored locally so changing to a new machine is as simple as logging onto a new one with your credentials. I don't consider $350 every 3 years or so be cheap but neither do I consider it to be a high price. I'd never pay the price for a high-end Pixel machine knowing how good the mid-priced Chromebooks are.

Read the reviews and pick up solid mid-range Chromebooks for you and your wife. I think you'll be happy that you did.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

beastykato

Post by beastykato » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:22 am

There are definitely a lot of these threads.

I just don't get it? :confused

I'm not downplaying Chromebooks. They work fine for what they do. I'm also speaking as someone who plays some games, nothing crazy anymore as I'm getting older but I like power to play hit titles and the ability to use photo editors and video editors for family stuff.

Chromebooks are just so limited and you seem to spend roughly the same amount of money to get a decent one 400+ as you would for a laptop without all the limitations.

Still if they provide you all the use you need I guess it's fine, but I just don't understand paying the same money for something that's so limited in it's scope of what it can run application or game wise.

I gotta agree with previous sentiment though they seem priced quite high what what you get overall.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:29 pm

Ramjet wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:00 pm
BeneIRA wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:49 pm
Ramjet wrote:
ScubaHogg wrote:
Have had it for a month, it's awesome. Great battery, easy to use, easy to set up, small and compact for travel. All in all, highly recommend.
Thank you, Ramjet. I think I might pull the trigger.

For everyone else, the OP did state what they chose here: viewtopic.php?p=5128067#p5128067

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:42 pm

rj49 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:46 pm
My advice is to get one with an HD screen, because it makes it much nicer to use. The newer ones try to justify higher price with gimmicks like a touch screen or folding to make it like a tablet, but I found that a 14-15" HD screen makes it much more pleasant to use (especially if you're used to the retina screen on an ipad or other tablet). A quick search of Best Buy HD screen shows several good candidates, including an HP and Acer with HD screens for $199. The other thing I advise is to download a good ad blocker, which makes Chrome much more pleasant to use...I use AdblockPlus.
Generally anything with at least 1366x768 resolution is considered HD. I don't believe there is any Chromebook on the market that doesn't have at least that resolution. That resolution on a 14- or 15-inch screen will generally look pretty poor.

More important than the resolution is the display technology. Most cheap Chromebooks have TN screens with poor contrast and viewing angles. The better ones have in-plane switching (IPS) screens, which look vastly better.

InvestingGeek

Post by InvestingGeek » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:18 pm

beastykato wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:22 am
There are definitely a lot of these threads.

I just don't get it? :confused

I'm not downplaying Chromebooks. They work fine for what they do. I'm also speaking as someone who plays some games, nothing crazy anymore as I'm getting older but I like power to play hit titles and the ability to use photo editors and video editors for family stuff.

Chromebooks are just so limited and you seem to spend roughly the same amount of money to get a decent one 400+ as you would for a laptop without all the limitations.

Still if they provide you all the use you need I guess it's fine, but I just don't understand paying the same money for something that's so limited in it's scope of what it can run application or game wise.

I gotta agree with previous sentiment though they seem priced quite high what what you get overall.
It's about appliance-like ease of use, instant on, a calm computing experience without random popups or calls for updates, not having to worry about viruses, and no need for tech support. Also the wife factor - she loves it an hasn't needed to ask me for help with a single thing in 4 years. Windows gives me a headache about 10 minutes into using it - simple things require a Google search, not good. Macs are good but too expensive for what I need to do. Hence Chromebooks. Even if they were to cost more than Windows systems, I would go with Chromebooks.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:02 pm

I have a formerly high end Windows laptop. My wife and I still prefer Chromebooks over it. Granted I have high end Chromebooks (1 pixelbook and 1 Samsung Chromebook Pro), but they're still way cheaper than the equivalent Windows PC. They still run like new after many years, which is something I can never say about a Windows laptop unless I go to the hassle of wiping and reloading the OS after a few years.

Not having to deal with Windows updates is a huge plus. It boots up instantly. Chrome on a chromebook always seems way faster than using chrome on Windows.

And as far as gaming, I guess they don't have high end games. But at my point in life, I don't have time for any of those. You can play any Android app game on a Chromebook that you would have otherwise played on your phone. Clash of Clans and other games work great.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:15 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:20 pm
inbox788 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:11 pm
I disagree.

My wife and I have been using Chromebooks for many years (since I retired) and have never found them to be slow or underpowered for everyday use (vs. business or gaming purposes). Not only are they a joy to use but they are more secure and much easier to maintain (automatic software updates, no antivirus to worry about, etc.).

At this time we're both using 2-1/2 year old Samsung Chromebook Plus machines that were $350 new. Both are still going strong and neither is sluggish or underpowered for anything we use them for, including streaming. I don't like buying at the very low end of the price range because I want my machines to last for awhile, although if they don't it's no great inconvenience because little if anything is stored locally so changing to a new machine is as simple as logging onto a new one with your credentials. I don't consider $350 every 3 years or so be cheap but neither do I consider it to be a high price. I'd never pay the price for a high-end Pixel machine knowing how good the mid-priced Chromebooks are.

Read the reviews and pick up solid mid-range Chromebooks for you and your wife. I think you'll be happy that you did.
Not sure what you're disagreeing here with. The Samsumg Chromebook Plus/Pro that came out 3 years ago are fine midrange, midpriced systems, and might last more than 3 years if your usage doesn't change. What's your specific year/model and processor? What would you recommend to replace it today at $350 price point? The current versions are closer to $500. https://www.amazon.com/Touchscreen-Chro ... B07MLQJNZR And nowhere near the low end $100 models, that are also fine for limited uses.

Some tasks and websites require more processing capabilities, but if you're not doing that or going there, then it may not be an issue for you. YMMV. I have some problems with some larger docs and spreadsheets, videos, news sites, live streams, and sites that have use too many active elements or ads. (ad blockers help a bit here)

Also, because of the lockdowns, development on Chrome (stable) is being delayed, so that might give older Chromebooks some extra usable life without getting bogged down.

Anyway, Chromebooks have their limitations (and benefits), but near the $500 price point, there are other alternatives to consider. And for me, I'm still looking for a good and lasting picture management and storage solution and Chromebook/Google Photos just doesn't do it for me.