[Work From Home] - What does your company pay for?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [Work From Home] - What does your company pay for?

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:05 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (compensation).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:08 pm

Laptop, which everyone gets anyway even if they never work outside the office. And they pay a good chunk of my cellphone plan, but again, they do that for everybody. I'm probably going to ask to take my docking station and monitor home for now, since I am more efficient with it than without.

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:31 pm

carac33 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:41 pm
Before the COVID19 breakout, my company started mandating my position works from home 1 out of 6 days (it will turn into 2 out 6 once we are fully staffed). I work at a Megacorp and I am on the phone all day, yet they don't provide a phone or pay a portion of phone bill They did offer a WFH package, but in order to receive it, you had to agree that the company would not pay for your phone bill or any extra expenses caused by working from home. I didn't want to agree to that, so I didn't order package. I just got a new iPhone and when I'm in the office my battery lasts for 3 days, when I WFH I need to charge it every night--I'm wondering why I have to kill my battery just to do my job.

What do your companies offer for those of you that have to WFH? Is it unreasonable for me to think they should subsidize phone bill or give corporate phone?
At our megacorp, folks that were already WFH got printers and monitors. Many field people and management got company phones paid by our client (who is the Federal government). When my current megacorp bought the division of my previous megacorp almost two years ago, we all got company laptops and a VPN. New allowances began to WFH two years ago. No additional printers or monitors were issued. Several weeks ago, soft phones numbers and headsets were issued. We are on a client site and expect to be moved to much smaller quarters soon (forestalled by the pandemic). Two weeks ago, we went to "everyone who can and wants to work from home can". I'm fine with not being compensated for my phone, printer, and monitor during this time and after we return to normal. A package would be nice, but is unnecessary. These incremental costs are minimal compared to the convenience of WFH

Tool-Time

Post by Tool-Time » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:35 pm

My company reimburses for cell phone, my department doesn't. Manager wants to look good to the higher ups.

BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:38 pm

Working from home is a Privilige. I will pay whatever I need to pay to continue. Having said that, they did provide me a two monitor desktop.

1grl1by

Post by 1grl1by » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:57 pm

I'm a Fed. My agency provides a laptop with a thin client. They have a bring your own device option, but I use a data source that our share contract stipulates we use an agency owned machine. So anyone on my staff who teleworks has to use an agency provided laptop. We are responsible for providing internet and phone, we can forward our office phones to our home/cell phone and it masks the outgoing calls if we set it up correctly. Above a certain grade level they provide a hotspot, an iphone and an ipad in addition to the laptop.

Although we have been teleworking for a number of years at this point, allowed between 1 and 3 days a week, we had a few people who were not telework ready when we switched due to Covid - 19. I do have one employee who was given a hotspot because he didn't have home internet and it was going to be 2 weeks before it could be installed. I wanted to keep him working, and not have him go on leave for the duration.

toomuchRE

Post by toomuchRE » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:59 pm

carac33 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:41 pm
Before the COVID19 breakout, my company started mandating my position works from home 1 out of 6 days (it will turn into 2 out 6 once we are fully staffed). I work at a Megacorp and I am on the phone all day, yet they don't provide a phone or pay a portion of phone bill They did offer a WFH package, but in order to receive it, you had to agree that the company would not pay for your phone bill or any extra expenses caused by working from home. I didn't want to agree to that, so I didn't order package. I just got a new iPhone and when I'm in the office my battery lasts for 3 days, when I WFH I need to charge it every night--I'm wondering why I have to kill my battery just to do my job.

What do your companies offer for those of you that have to WFH? Is it unreasonable for me to think they should subsidize phone bill or give corporate phone?
If I was your employer, I would deduct the savings you got from not-commuting, from your paycheck..

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:18 pm

At my state agency, if you didn't already have an agency-issued laptop, a loaner laptop or Chromebook was provided, and they distributed a limited number of WiFi access points for those that did not have home Internet. We were also allowed to bring home our laptop docking stations and monitors from our offices (although I didn't bother with the monitors since I have similar monitors at home). All of this required filing an equipment checkout form with our inventory manager.

We were also given a small budget to purchase supplies like webcams, headsets, etc. on our personal credit cards and submit for reimbursement to the agency. Originally, they were going to purchase those telecommute items for us and distribute, but that was when they thought we'd have more time to transition to work-from-home. Once it became clear we wouldn't have a transition period, they switched to the reimbursement model. I'm not holding my breath that I'll actually get that reimbursement, but I don't need much other than a new stylus for my laptop and maybe a headset (still considering that one).

There's been no talk of any reimbursement model for home Internet, phone, or cellular charges for those of us who already had those services. There is an agency discount with most cellular providers, but it's fairly small.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:20 pm

You should be thankful if you still can still work from home. A lot people lost their job and small business close businesss.

helloeveryone

Re: WFH - What does your company pay for?

Post by helloeveryone » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:02 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:54 pm
Your company seems unreasonable.

That said, I'm not clear why WFH means you have to kill your battery. Your company should be providing you a soft phone that allows you to dial out from your extension from your computer. But even in the absence of that, if you have to use your iPhone at home, there's no reason it can't be plugged into a charger most of the time, and therefore remain relatively full.
this. while wearing a bluetooth headset

softmax

Post by softmax » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:17 pm

My company closed the office and asked everyone to WFH.

Offered some cash bonus for WFH costs. Not much but good gesture.

Cancelled performance review for the first half of 2020 and will give everyone 125% bonus .

canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:35 pm

I get a laptop and a paid phone as part of the job, nothing extra to work from home although IT loaned me an extra charger so I don’t have to carry it all the time.

Johnny Thinwallet

Post by Johnny Thinwallet » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:56 pm

During normal circumstances, I WFH one day per week. SmallCorp issues all employees laptops, and we simply take those laptops home with us to WFH. I don't need to use my phone for work all that frequently, but when I do use it from home I just use my cellphone. They do not reimburse me anything for it.

I do spend a bit more on utilities being home that day than I would if I were to drive in, however, the benefits of my work from home day include:

1) an extra hour of sleep that morning
2) saving 50 miles of gas and car wear-and-tear for a round trip commute
3) saving 70 to 90 minutes of my time for a round trip commute (one way is 35 to 45 minutes)

Those benefits are greatly worth the small extra $$ I have to pay for utilities to WFH.

FYI, given the current situation we're all working remotely 100 percent for the foreseeable during the pandemic.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:17 pm

lazydavid wrote:

That said, I'm not clear why WFH means you have to kill your battery. Your company should be providing you a soft phone that allows you to dial out from your extension from your computer. But even in the absence of that, if you have to use your iPhone at home, there's no reason it can't be plugged into a charger most of the time, and therefore remain relatively full.
Over charging Lithium batteries is not a good thing.

I have a RSA token, and the state agency did not provide a laptop, although they should, nevertheless the lost of commuter cost is a fair trade, although they spent a fortune renovating the relocated office, I think that is a waste of public resources.

simas

Post by simas » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:56 am

retire2022 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:17 pm
lazydavid wrote:

I have a RSA token, and the state agency did not provide a laptop, although they should, nevertheless the lost of commuter cost is a fair trade, although they spent a fortune renovating the relocated office, I think that is a waste of public resources.
people are whining and complaining about nothing... you get paid. period. be thankful you have a job.

my employee
a) issues hardware to all works (no , your personal PC is not good to connect to any form of corporate resources and sensitive data). Fully managed (remote screen share for tech support, remote shutdown/remote wipe options), antivirus, the whole deal.
b) provides VPN that you will have to use to do anything
c) provide Teams account that is used for all communication along with softphone system to pick up work calls. No one cares about your cell phone, landphone, iPhone, whatever - if you want use that as well, use it. if you don't , don't use it. do not come complaining.

coming to employee complaining about your battery concerns will at best will get you a shrug or you would be the laughing stock of the virtual office..

Topic Author
carac33

Post by carac33 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:50 pm

This was an honest question and I don't mean to sound ungrateful to still be working. Like I mentioned, we started working from home before COVID-19 breakout. I have a roommate that has her cell phone bill reimbursed because her company's email is linked up to it. I was just curious what other companies offered to people working from home.

dh

Post by dh » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:03 pm

I brought my computer home, so I am using that rather than my own. I already had internet and phone at home. That cost didn't change by working from home. So, while the company doesn't really pay for anything (since I would be using their computer from my office), I save fuel and the time spent commuting. While I miss some aspects of the office culture, I appreciate the savings.

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:35 am

My leadership promised hourly workers will not lose pay. They will be paid wether they are able to work durning the shutdown (being essential) or not. While this doesn’t impact me directly, this is so important for a lot of people who otherwise work hard and who could basically be out of job for no fault of their own for the foreseeable future.

My employer is also generously and temporarily offering the few onsite employees free parking (in addition to their normal public transit monthly pass; to goal is social distancing durning transit) and free food delivery 2x/day (cafe is closed for the pandemic). Equally important, they’ve offered understanding for anybody requesting reasonable accommodations; the loss of childcare is causing a lot of altered schedules right now and leadership is okay as long as you still produce in the big picture.

Minor stuff: I get my phone data plan reimbursed and a laptop with associated hardware. I could order additional screens and headsets at my discretion (I have not). I’m paying for my home internet (even trade with phone data paid for) and converted home space.

I love this employer.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:11 am

retire2022 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:17 pm
lazydavid wrote:

But keeping them at a high state of charge is a VERY good thing. Notice I used the word "most", not the word "all". OP was complaining that the battery was only lasting a day. There's no rule that says your phone can only be charged at night, or that the only alternative to doing so is leaving them plugged in 24/7.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:23 am

oldfort wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:48 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:40 pm
oldfort wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:36 pm
….
The broader point is if your employees are accessing any information, which is of a proprietary nature, trade secrets, or you wouldn't want shared with your competitors, then it shouldn't be accessed on a personal laptop.
Absolutely, but nobody is using a personal laptop (or on the corporate network without a company laptop and VPN) and there is nothing in either one of my posts suggesting they were.
It depends on what division of the company you work in. I would categorize almost all engineering or R&D work, as information that you wouldn't want to share with competitors. You said some of your employees weren't given laptops.
Yes, and then he said they took their desktops home. There is nothing wrong with this. My employer just sent almost 10k employees home with their desktops.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:28 am

My company reimburses for high-speed internet and provides a VoIP solution which we are supposed to use on phone calls. Since the VoIP solution can be problematic most of us just use our cell phones or landlines.
My company reimburses my cell phone bill but not because I WFH, but because I am also a business traveler.
My company will provide laptop, monitor (1 or 2), and docking station for WFH employees. (they used to also provide a one-time spend "set-up" of up to $500 which you could use to buy a chair or something else of your choosing but they no longer do so).
NOTE: This is all for PERMANENT WFH employees. If the company is also providing office space they won't reimburse all this.

OP: You didn't really state what expenses they WOULD let you reimburse - you said if you took the package they wouldn't let you reimburse items - but you didn't state what they allow you to claim otherwise (There are normally limits).

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:38 am

tsohg wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:48 pm
A new battery costs < $100. Is this a hill you really want to die on?
And for most folks paying $100 for a new cell-phone battery every couple of years (if even necessary) is FAR cheaper than the thousands that many spend yearly on commuting costs. I have been working from home for years - was recently looking at a position whereby I would have to commute in every day - I calculated the thousands in cost that would add (not to mention the lifestyle change).

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:40 am

lazydavid wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:23 am
oldfort wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:48 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:40 pm
oldfort wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:36 pm
….
The broader point is if your employees are accessing any information, which is of a proprietary nature, trade secrets, or you wouldn't want shared with your competitors, then it shouldn't be accessed on a personal laptop.
Absolutely, but nobody is using a personal laptop (or on the corporate network without a company laptop and VPN) and there is nothing in either one of my posts suggesting they were.
It depends on what division of the company you work in. I would categorize almost all engineering or R&D work, as information that you wouldn't want to share with competitors. You said some of your employees weren't given laptops.
Yes, and then he said they took their desktops home. There is nothing wrong with this. My employer just sent almost 10k employees home with their desktops.
Oldfort clearly didn't read my post the first time before making a snide remark, they aren't going to read it the 3rd time.

There are not enough laptops (~1/3 of my staff has desktops only), and we have to work (or lose our jobs) as our business is booming. One of my employees is pregnant, I went to the office last week and got her desktop for her and delivered it to her home.

sd323232

Post by sd323232 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:28 am

tsohg wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:48 pm
A new battery costs < $100. Is this a hill you really want to die on?
i agree, it is so weird that OP is concerned about his phone battery longevity due to working from home. Kind of funny LOL, OP, you are working from home! dream of the many, can you enjoy life a little? omg

mneumann

Post by mneumann » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:08 pm

$60 a month cell phone reimbursement, but that was before wfh started anyway.

They let me take all my equipment home (computers, docking stations, monitors, keyboards, etc.) And IT is being very supportive of system accommodations so I can get my work done.

Normal wfh/remote employers receive 50 a month toward their internet but I dont believe myself or most in office employees will be claiming that as wfh is not an additional strain on normalhome internet and we are all trying to pitch in to reduce discretionary expenses at this point for the company

If no one loses their income, all employees will be happy in the end.

Invictus002

Post by Invictus002 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:23 pm

Nothing.

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:27 pm

My employer is now offering childcare reimbursement for parents who are newly WFH.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:47 pm

Company laptop and phone. I brought a docking station and back some 22" monitors after end of life to set up dual monitor.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:00 am

I don’t understand why WFH would cause you to have to charge your phone more often. Are you incapable of plugging the phone in at your desk when you aren’t using it?

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:26 pm

Just our regular laptop. I am still going into the office (by choice), but I do wonder if I missed the cot handout to those working from home. Seems many are napping on the job. Shouldn't take 60+ minutes to get a response to an email when it's not during lunch time hours.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:38 pm

Traveler wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:26 pm
Just our regular laptop. I am still going into the office (by choice), but I do wonder if I missed the cot handout to those working from home. Seems many are napping on the job. Shouldn't take 60+ minutes to get a response to an email when it's not during lunch time hours.
My staff is on overdrive (I think many of them see this as an opportunity to show WFH can be successful), but some other departments I have to collaborate with have clearly taken this as an opportunity to go on paid vacation. I have some colleagues that haven't answered dozens of emails and have been absent for every Microsoft Teams video meeting in 10+ days now, resulting is missed deadlines. There is nothing like being able to knock on someone's office door and speaking to them face-to-face, and I don't have that option right now.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:51 pm

I have a work provided laptop for WFH, plus extra monitors. I had to upgrade my internet speed and my phone plan because neither are provided by my employer. It's a great privilege to have a job these days so I'm not/have not complained about the extra costs. The impact on my commute makes this a good trade off for me.

J45

Post by J45 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:13 pm

I dont think too many companies provide phones now days.

If laptops, then they have app for calls/meetings.

Or use your phone and put the bill in taxes at the end of the year.

fiskalisch gesinnt

Post by fiskalisch gesinnt » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:55 pm

My company provides a company laptop and cell phone.

As we've been asked to work from home lately, they also provided me with a setup at home (monitors, docking station, etc.)