Traffic Ticket - Offer to reduce points for Increase Fine

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ved

Traffic Ticket - Offer to reduce points for Increase Fine

Post by ved » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:22 pm

Hi,

I got a speeding ticket a few days ago. Cop noted that I was driving 13 mph over the speed limit (recorded 43 mph in a 30 mph zone), but gave the ticket for 5mph over. The fine was $130 and 1 point (Traffic Citation was "Speed 1-5 mph over")

The court has a "review request" option, which I asked them to (saying I haven't had a ticket in over a decade, and a good driving record...blah, blah, blah).
They came back with a new offer of 0 points, but $170 fine (Traffic citation changed to "Impeding Traffic"). I have 5 days to decide on their new offer.

So, my question is : Is it worth paying $40 extra for removal of points?

For what it's worth, I just signed up with Progressive Insurance in January for my auto/ home.

Thanks

Enzo IX

Re: Traffic Ticket - Offer to reduce points for Increase Fine

Post by Enzo IX » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:25 pm

[Removed -- moderator oldcomputerguy], haven't heard of that before, I think I would take the higher fine option.

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:25 pm

ved wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:22 pm
Hi,

I got a speeding ticket a few days ago. Cop noted that I was driving 13 mph over the speed limit (recorded 43 mph in a 30 mph zone), but gave the ticket for 5mph over. The fine was $130 and 1 point (Traffic Citation was "Speed 1-5 mph over")

The court has a "review request" option, which I asked them to (saying I haven't had a ticket in over a decade, and a good driving record...blah, blah, blah).
They came back with a new offer of 0 points, but $170 fine (Traffic citation changed to "Impeding Traffic"). I have 5 days to decide on their new offer.

For what it's worth, I just signed up with Progressive Insurance in January for my auto/ home.

Thanks
Even without knowing the relevant details (state, insurance policy details) I think this is a no brainer. Yes pay the $40 .

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:35 pm

Yes that is a bargain. I paid a lawyer $250 to turn a speeding ticket into a point-free non-moving infraction, plus paid over $100 for that infraction. Points can cost thousands, and then you better not go and get a 2nd one.

bogledogle

Post by bogledogle » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:39 pm

Always pay extra and reduce points. Points will make your insurance expensive.

Topic Author
ved

Post by ved » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:49 pm

Luckywon wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:25 pm

Even without knowing the relevant details (state, insurance policy details) I think this is a no brainer. Yes pay the $40 .
Michigan.
Have comprehensive insurance

Let me know if there are any other specific details I can provide

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:15 pm

Wow, never heard of this either. This seems extremely unethical to me from a jurisdiction standpoint.

And to answer your question, that $40 will be the best money you've ever spent

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:18 pm

ved wrote:
Hi,

Thanks
Pay it, or watch your insurance go up with points on your license.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:11 pm

Pay it! Ask if you can prepay for future tickets.

In Jersey, there is something like a $200-$400 minimum when you go this route.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:18 pm

Yes, definitely worth it to take the no points offer. Something similar happened to me years ago. Went to magistrate and officer offered to lower violation to "abuse of traffic signal". Forgot what I paid but it didn't affect my insurance rates.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:54 pm

Different states use points differently. (For example, the VA system is different than the MD system.) Even if there are no points, will it still go on your driving record for your insurance company to see? (Again, regarding different states doing different things, in VA, the court has the option of not transmitting the conviction to system which in turn puts it on your driving record.)

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:13 pm

fishmonger wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:15 pm
Wow, never heard of this either. This seems extremely unethical to me from a jurisdiction standpoint.
There is nothing unethical about this at all. There has long been additional court costs for any diversion program. Anything but a straight line fine payment requires additional administrative work. Do you want the taxpayers paying for that or the offender?

mroe800

Post by mroe800 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:23 am

For $40? Yes, I’d pay $40 over any amount of points. $500+? I’d have to think about it vs my presumable insurance premium increase.

WWJBDo

Post by WWJBDo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:33 am

I had a similar occurrence while visiting in NY State.

I was initially ticketed for speeding, which is a state offense.
I did a little research, and it turns out in NY this is a common phenomenon. The local town collects on the nonmoving infraction while the State would make money on the speeding offense. If you look online, you will see this story over and over- in fact in some local courts, they take aside every single person coming to court and make the 'offer' to avoid points by pleading guilty to a local offense.

I suspect that may be what happened to you as well.
I took the offer. You should too.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

stats99

Post by stats99 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:41 am

This is common practice in New Jersey, a strong revenue stream for the local municipalities.

marstaton4

Post by marstaton4 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:00 am

I went through a similar issue several years ago. I received a ticket from a city police officer for a state charge of speeding $81/2 points and the city prosecutor "generously" offered a city or municipal violation of careless operation which is no points and $200. It's my understanding that some of the insurance companies are wise to this situation and consider it a 4 point violation. I would double-check with your insurance company before you make any kind of deal.

Not to be in the tinfoil hat and/or self-righteous crowd but IMO this is a scam and completely undermines the point system. In SC where I am the municipality gets to keep all of the proceeds from this instead of a small portion that they would from the state charge of speeding.

triggertreat

Post by triggertreat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:10 am

ved wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:49 pm
Luckywon wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:25 pm

Michigan.
Have comprehensive insurance

Let me know if there are any other specific details I can provide
From Michigan also.Ticket will increase your insurance for 5 years.Pay the extra.The points are reported to the Ins company and this is from personal experience.

London

Post by London » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:23 am

I found out first hand in NJ that paying the higher amount is a waste of money. I paid the $250 surcharge to change the ticket to a no points violation and Geico still raised my rates. I called Geico and was told that a moving violation will increase rates, points or not.

Obviously your experience will vary based on location and insurance provider.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:40 am

London wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:23 am
I found out first hand in NJ that paying the higher amount is a waste of money. I paid the $250 surcharge to change the ticket to a no points violation and Geico still raised my rates. I called Geico and was told that a moving violation will increase rates, points or not.

Thank you for clarifying what I was trying to say in my previous post. Its traffic convictions that affect insurance, not points. Due to the different way states handle points, insurance companies are looking at the convictions. If the conviction is transmitted from the court (different states do this differently, in VA, the judge would simply not send it to the data base which DMV uses) to the licensing authority, the insurance company will pick it up, points or no points.

Other things to keep in mind:

Different states have different purge criteria for convictions. It may drop off the driving record after three or five years or so, but the insurance data base will keep it longer.

In VA, for every year of no violations, you get one point up to five. Thus, do you really need to pay to reduce if your state gives points? What will your point balance be if you don't do anything?
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:46 am

I think that by using “impeding traffic” as the offense, they turn it into a non moving violation. At least that would do it in my neck of the woods.

student

Post by student » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:49 am

Katietsu wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:46 am
I think that by using “impeding traffic” as the offense, they turn it into a non moving violation. At least that would do it in my neck of the woods.
Same here and the local government takes all the money (not sharing with the state).

mpnret

Post by mpnret » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:02 am

Mr. Rumples wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:40 am
London wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:23 am

Thank you for clarifying what I was trying to say in my previous post. Its traffic convictions that affect insurance, not points. Due to the different way states handle points, insurance companies are looking at the convictions. If the conviction is transmitted from the court (different states do this differently, in VA, the judge would simply not send it to the data base which DMV uses) to the licensing authority, the insurance company will pick it up, points or no points.

Other things to keep in mind:

Different states have different purge criteria for convictions. It may drop off the driving record after three or five years or so, but the insurance data base will keep it longer.

In VA, for every year of no violations, you get one point up to five. Thus, do you really need to pay to reduce if your state gives points? What will your point balance be if you don't do anything?
In NJ they reduced my 29mph in a 20mph zone to something like failure to obey a police officer (non-moving violation). Cost close to $400.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:10 am

In 1987 I had been living in CA for 16 months and retained my MA plates.
While driving back home in MA from CA I was stopped for an expired inspection sticker. Some luck, eh? 50 bucks if I recall.

I figured, well, ok, I did deserve it, so I paid the $50 and figured that was the end of it.

The "moving violation" stayed on my record for six subsequent years.

Despite that I had an otherwise perfect driving record, over the course of 6 years it cost me close to $1000 in additional insurance premiums. And I had no other violations during that time, or the number would have been higher.

Pay the $40.

Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:16 am

ved wrote:
Hi,

Thanks
So you were speeding but will "plead" you down to an offense of the exact opposite?

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:21 pm

ved wrote:
Hi,

Thanks
Very interesting. Never heard of that before. I feel like a learn something new every day on this Forum.

I agree with others. Pay the extra fine to eliminate the points on your license. Seems like an excellent tradeoff to me.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

Topic Author
ved

Post by ved » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:47 pm

OP here.

Thank you all. Looks like it's a unanimous recommendation to pay the additional amount, to reduce/remove the points.

I "accepted" their offer, and will pay in a couple of days