Don't pay full price for SiriusXM radio

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Doom&Gloom

Re: Don't pay full price for SiriusXM radio

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:32 pm

Ged wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:03 pm
squirm wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:24 am
ponyboy wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:56 am
I cant believe people still listen to sirius radio. Podcasts are free, you actually learn stuff, and it makes whatever drive or commute you have much more enjoyable.
We have xm because my wife wants to push a button and have music, not deal with cell phone Bluetooth etc.
Rip your CD collection to a flash drive and you will have your music at the touch of a button.
+1

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:44 pm

Ged wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:03 pm
Rip your CD collection to a flash drive and you will have your music at the touch of a button.
I have an iPod I use in the Venerable Bronco for that purpose. At the PC, I use streaming music. The problem with your own tracks is that you'll never come across something new.

carolc

Post by carolc » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:06 pm

Same thing happened to me the other day...called to cancel and ended up paying $70. for a full year. It’s so cheap that I’m doing it despite the fact that I am kind of bored with the same songs.

carolc

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:38 pm

Thanks to everyone's advice

I also signed up for the $70/year plan

With regards to why, I do agree it is nice to be able to jump in the car and have access to a couple of favorable music channels without having to fiddle with my phone.

Using the online interface and the live chat feature is a nice way to avoid banging your head against the wall with a live person if you are non-confrontational (I rather look forward to these phone calls after a bad day of work :) )

Thanks for the tip on using a virtual account number (Citi DoubleCash offers something similar although you have to use their archaic windows desktop option) as I've always been annoyed by Sirius' auto renew feature

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:53 pm

I too pay $5 a month......I stream it to my car, my outside speakers (yard) and home stereos.

For those who say they play the same songs, there are tons of channels and you can even shuffle the channels for a mix.
I also have Spotify as I always have music on at home and at work.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:06 pm

For $5 a month, plus tax, they would only give me the car plan. What did I do wrong? They actually are billing me monthly. Right now I’m on the 3 month free trial until September when the new plan begins.

Bitzer

Post by Bitzer » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:43 am

Is this $5/month plan indefinite? Like some others participating in this thread, I'd prefer not to deal with a customer service agent every 6 or 12 months.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:01 pm

Bitzer wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:43 am
Is this $5/month plan indefinite? Like some others participating in this thread, I'd prefer not to deal with a customer service agent every 6 or 12 months.
It's only for 1 year

I used the virtual account number trick so by the time it's ready to renew, they'll have to come to me to get an up to date credit card number. At which point, I would re-negotiate the same rate or revert to using my phone via Bluetooth or Carplay

I use the live chat feature on the website (it's slower but it also works if you don't like negotiating via telephone)

JDofAZ

Post by JDofAZ » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:06 am

A440 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:00 am
I enjoyed Sirius when I had it for free. However, the quality of the sound didn't seem as good as my local stations, especially ones that broadcast in HD.
If I lived in an area without a lot of choices, or if I was on the road for a long period of time I could see paying for it.
Fortunately the local stations I listen to are mostly commercial free: K-Love, Air-1, Classical/Jazz. If I need my rock fix, I can tolerate the commercials, or just stream Pandora.
I feel the same way. I didn’t have a car that had siriusxm until this year. I was blown away by how bad the sound quality is, especially on the less popular stations. There was a Canadian station I liked, The Verge I think, but it sounded like Real Player on a dialup connection.

I did like some aspects of the service and my radio has a nifty feature that records your station presets and lets you rewind songs. But due to the poor sound quality, DJs that talk too much and commercial advertising on the talk stations I decided that sirusxm isn’t worth even the discounted pricing to me.

hudson

3 Vehicles with XM $112 Each Per Year

Post by hudson » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:09 am

I put my expiration date on Google Calendar and wait until that day or the day before to call.
I tell the salesperson that I'll pay the same price as last year or $112 X3 for 3 vehicles.
If there are any objections, I get kind of quiet and just wait. I don't want to play any games or talk much.
I don't want a shorter term than one year. The salesperson almost always works with me. If not, I would just call back and hope for another salesperson...or I would cancel.....or plan b... I would read back through this discussion and copy one of you.
Last edited by hudson on Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikedm

Post by mikedm » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:54 am

I too got the $60/year deal plus fees using the online chat, but only after quite a bit of haggling. They kept coming back with a little better offer each time, but I kept saying it wasn't good enough. Finally I had to tell them that based on my research, I knew others were getting the $60/year deal and they agreed to do it. All in all took me about 30 minutes.

One word of caution. I contacted them today, which is 1 week before my current subscription expires. However they wanted to charge me today and have my 1 year renewal period start today. I told them I thought that was unfair, that my renewal period should start upon the expiration of my current subscription, and end a year after that date. So, in effect I'm paying for a week of service that I already paid for with my current subscription. But we're only talking about $3, so I figured it wasn't arguing over. I was already tired of the run-around.

I agree that the sound quality is horrible but I mostly listen to news and talk stations so it's not really an issue.

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:41 pm

So I just did the "call every 6 months" dance again yesterday and got the $30+fees rate with no problem. I forgot to ask about streaming, which used to be extra, but XM recently announced that it would be included for everyone. I've tried to login to the streaming site and it's not letting me in. Is it working for anyone on the discounted plan? When I check my account it says I have both XM Select and XM Select Lite. Not sure what the "Lite package doesn't include.

BTW I actually called 3 days late this time and the CS person told me that I owed for those days at the regular rate. I asked if they could waive that (they had in the past) and after a few minutes on hold (supposedly talking to her supervisor) she was able to get that approved. So definitely worth asking for if you are in that situation.

I will have to try asking for $60 for 12 months next time I call so I can avoid calling twice a year.

One tip that people may not know. When you pay for the discounted subscription be sure to tell them to make a one-time payment so they do not store your credit card and automatically charge it for the renewal.

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:47 pm

mikedm wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:54 am
I too got the $60/year deal plus fees using the online chat, but only after quite a bit of haggling. They kept coming back with a little better offer each time, but I kept saying it wasn't good enough. Finally I had to tell them that based on my research, I knew others were getting the $60/year deal and they agreed to do it. All in all took me about 30 minutes.

One word of caution. I contacted them today, which is 1 week before my current subscription expires. However they wanted to charge me today and have my 1 year renewal period start today. I told them I thought that was unfair, that my renewal period should start upon the expiration of my current subscription, and end a year after that date. So, in effect I'm paying for a week of service that I already paid for with my current subscription. But we're only talking about $3, so I figured it wasn't arguing over. I was already tired of the run-around.
If you renew early you should automatically get a refund of the unused period from the current subscription. I'm surprised you didn't. When calling it should not take long to get them to agree to offer. Just say you want to cancel unless you can get the same discounted rate you had before. I find that processing the renewal takes longer than getting them to agree to it. It's possible that online chat doesn't get you to the retention people so it's harder to get them to agree to it.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:48 pm

During the last couple of weeks, I called about each of our 2 cars. One was recently purchased used and on a 3 month free trial, and the other had been renewed on a trial every 5-6 months since it was purchased new in 2008.

In both calls SiriusXM Customer Service initially said that the 12 month trial wasn't available, and that 6mo at $30 was the only trial available. In both cases I told them that a friend (actually someone posting her) had secured $60 for 12 months. They said that that rate wasn't available to me, but after I persisted for a few minutes they relented. Now both cars are on that 12 month trial.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:22 pm

About three weeks ago, I renewed our SXM subscription for $60 for a year. I feel that it's worth that, but I wouldn't be willing to pay much more than that.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Que1999

Post by Que1999 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:18 pm

Sirius XM has become more valuable to me over the past couple weeks... The web/app version became included in the subscription for free. So now I've got Sirius XM at home on my Alexa's and at work, w/headphones while exercising, etc. I feel this was a good move on their part.

Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:08 am

Que1999 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:18 pm
Sirius XM has become more valuable to me over the past couple weeks... The web/app version became included in the subscription for free. So now I've got Sirius XM at home on my Alexa's and at work, w/headphones while exercising, etc. I feel this was a good move on their part.
I agree. I like their politics channel and it's nice to be able to listen on my iPhone or Echoes. My SiriusXM subscription is about to expire so I'll be calling them soon to do the semi-annual kabuki dance wherein I ask to cancel, and they do what they can to keep me as a subscriber. I may settle for more than five bucks a month this time around...
catdude | | "As much as cats fight, there always seems to be plenty of kittens." (Abraham Lincoln)

Jesteroftheswamp

Post by Jesteroftheswamp » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:54 am

This works great with cable providers as well!

itsgot8

Post by itsgot8 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:40 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:22 pm
About three weeks ago, I renewed our SXM subscription for $60 for a year. I feel that it's worth that, but I wouldn't be willing to pay much more than that.
I, too, just purchased a 12 month subscription for $4.99/month. It sure beats having to the the dance of canceling/renewing every six months to get the $4.99/month deal. I agree that the service is worth it at this price but probably not much more than that with all the other options out there.

beyou

Post by beyou » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:35 pm

I finally canceled mine.

1) SXM Radio in older car that we no longer take on long trips, newer car required Nav system to get Sirius (come on Subaru).
2) Signal is often lost and their only solution is to "reset" the radio which does nothing
3) Really hate the song and dance, but because of 1 & 2 I decided no reason to put up with 3.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:41 pm

beyou wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:35 pm
I finally canceled mine.

1) SXM Radio in older car that we no longer take on long trips, newer car required Nav system to get Sirius (come on Subaru).
2) Signal is often lost and their only solution is to "reset" the radio which does nothing
3) Really hate the song and dance, but because of 1 & 2 I decided no reason to put up with 3.
Regarding #2, I’ve had SXM in one car since 2008 and, except for one instance where I suspended service for a couple of weeks I’ve never needed to reset. Have briefly lost signal a few time due to weather or tree canopy, as well as in a tunnel or garage. When I drove back into signal music simply resumed. Maybe you’re particular car was the issue?

beyou

Post by beyou » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:46 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:41 pm
beyou wrote:
I finally canceled mine.

Regarding #2, I’ve had SXM in one car since 2008 and, except for one instance where I suspended service for a couple of weeks I’ve never needed to reset. Have briefly lost signal a few time due to weather or tree canopy, as well as in a tunnel or garage. When I drove back into signal music simply resumed. Maybe you’re particular car was the issue?
Is in a 2012 Subaru, and the sound is great....when on level ground on a sunny day.
I often drive through tunnels (in my urban area) and near large hills (long car trips).
Works great near my home, terrible almost no matter where I drive on a trip.
I got rid of satellite TV many years ago for same reason, when a storm knocked out service right during a major sports event.
I actually love the content and clarity of sound (when sunny/flat) but between the outages and renewal process, couldn't stand it any longer.

scophreak

Post by scophreak » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:47 pm

beyou wrote:
I finally canceled mine.

I also think #2 is interesting. Bought a 2019 Subaru Ascent last fall and purposely didn't get the upgrade package that included Nav (we use CarPlay and Nav on the phone). Sirius/XM works just fine on my head unit.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:06 pm

Que1999 wrote:
+1

I discovered the Sirius XM app last week. This is a nice upgrade. There are a lot of stations available on the app that are not available in the car. Alexa also plays my favorite stations just by me asking for the station name (don't need to remember the number).

beyou

Post by beyou » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:26 pm

Hockey10 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:06 pm
Que1999 wrote:
+1

I discovered the Sirius XM app last week. This is a nice upgrade. There are a lot of stations available on the app that are not available in the car. Alexa also plays my favorite stations just by me asking for the station name (don't need to remember the number).
I did use this at home, miss it, but the main purpose was for the car, and that was not working for me at all.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:05 pm

what is 1 year cost with fees? I'm getting $77.94 quote

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:21 pm

theplayer11 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:05 pm
what is 1 year cost with fees? I'm getting $77.94 quote
Mine was $72.84 ($60 plus fees & tax). That was for SXM Select.

canderson

Post by canderson » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:52 pm

Called today - my subscription expires tomorrow.

First offer was $109, then immediately $97 then I said “I know others have gotten a $60 deal” and she immediately agreed. Took 10 minutes, including opening hold time.

It’s apparently for a new Select Lite plan so no streaming - I subscribe to Spotify so that’s a worthless feature to me personally.

wilked

Post by wilked » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:43 pm

I got the Select Lite for $60

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:35 pm

canderson wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:52 pm

First offer was $109, then immediately $97 then I said “I know others have gotten a $60 deal” and she immediately agreed. Took 10 minutes, including opening hold time.

It’s apparently for a new Select Lite plan so no streaming - I subscribe to Spotify so that’s a worthless feature to me personally.
As I just posted, the $60 plan I just received was for Select, and streaming is included.

Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:39 pm

Hi, OP here. This morning, it was "that time" again. Time to call Sirius XM ... my subscription was expiring and I needed to do the song-and-dance to get my low rate extended.

I told their CSR that I needed to cancel my service because my subscription would be renewing at a much higher rate. He offered a rate of $11.99/month to keep me onboard. I was a bit tempted cuz I do like their POTUS/Politics channel, but I declined. He then said he'd check to see if there were other promotional rates he could get me. He came back on the line after a minute or so and said he could give me the $5 a month rate again. I said that was great, and then, inspired by my fellow Bogleheads, asked if I could have the $5 rate for a full year. He put me on hold again for a minute, and came back and said yes, I could have the rate for 12 months.

Nice to know that I won't have to do the kabuki dance for another year. Ask and ye shall receive!
catdude | | "As much as cats fight, there always seems to be plenty of kittens." (Abraham Lincoln)

canderson

Post by canderson » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:40 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:35 pm
canderson wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:52 pm

As I just posted, the $60 plan I just received was for Select, and streaming is included.
Not for me, wasn’t available. It’s a brand new tier.

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:09 pm

canderson wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:40 pm
neilpilot wrote:
I also ended up with Lite, although when I check my account it claims I have both Select and Select Lite. Seems like it's another thing we need to insist on getting when we do the renewal dance.

I would like to have it so I could listen on our tablet and Echo but I haven't gotten upset enough to bother calling.
Last edited by MisterBill on Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:42 am

MisterBill wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:09 pm
canderson wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:40 pm
neilpilot wrote:
I also ended up with Lite, although when I check my account it claims I have both Select and Select Lite. Seems like it's another thing we need to insist on getting when we do the renewal dance.

I would like to have it so I could listen our our tablet and Echo but I haven't gotten upset enough to bother calling.
Looks like I'm in the same boat. I just logged into the app on my iPhone, and got a message saying that streaming isn't included with my subscription. They didn't tell me that when I negotiated to extend my $5/month rate. I have to decide whether it's worth it to call them back.

teacher

Post by teacher » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:30 pm

So, I just got a subscription renewal notice from SiriusXM All Access plan totaling $320 for the year. I'm hoping someone can share a far better deal than that. If I have an idea of what the possibilities are, I may be able to get a better rate. I paid $149 last year after reading this thread, so I knew what to shoot for when I made the deal. Hopefully, putting this request at the end of a long thread will not diminish my chances to get a response.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:05 pm

First of all you may not need all access. Check out what select gives you. It may be all you need. Next call them and say you will only pay the same as last year. Be prepared to cancel if they won't agree. Just hang tight.
Best Wishes, | Joe

pj1983

Post by pj1983 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:11 pm

teacher wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:30 pm
So, I just got a subscription renewal notice from SiriusXM All Access plan totaling $320 for the year. I'm hoping someone can share a far better deal than that. If I have an idea of what the possibilities are, I may be able to get a better rate. I paid $149 last year after reading this thread, so I knew what to shoot for when I made the deal. Hopefully, putting this request at the end of a long thread will not diminish my chances to get a response.
What JMacDonald said -- you may not need All Access; I get offers for the Select (which includes streaming) package for $5/month about every other week, and there's a little-advertised "Select Lite" (no streaming) package which is less than that.

Call and hit the "I want to cancel" option, start the negotiations, and don't quit until you get the $5/month package.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:17 pm

I renewed Sirius All Access for 2 cars a couple months ago. For each subscription I negotiated $99 for one year + $21.19 for US Royalty fee + state taxes. With each subscription I received free SiriusXM Video and an Echo Dot. Includes streaming access through my home sound system.

teacher

Post by teacher » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:20 pm

Thanks, JMcDonald.

I just found the plan options and you are right. I don't need all those features. https://www.siriusxm.com/mostpopularpackages
Select would be fine, but it's $203 per year plus US Royalty Fee ($25.65 last year). I'm not sure what reduction I should expect to get if I haggle.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:23 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:17 pm
I renewed Sirius All Access for 2 cars a couple months ago. For each subscription I negotiated $99 for one year + $21.19 for US Royalty fee + state taxes. With each subscription I received free SiriusXM Video and an Echo Dot. Includes streaming access through my home sound system.
I just renewed All Access a couple of weeks ago and got it for the same price with a phone call ($99 + $20ish). I didn't get the add-ons.

teacher

Post by teacher » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:24 pm

pj1983

What exactly is a "no streaming package"?
I access SiriusXM mostly only my iPhone and Alexa. I get it on my computer and car, but could do without from those two access points.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:27 pm

There's a new subscriber promo for $5/mo for 12 months for SiriusXM Select. You could probably get that without much trouble.

pj1983

Post by pj1983 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:36 pm

teacher wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:24 pm
pj1983

What exactly is a "no streaming package"?
I access SiriusXM mostly only my iPhone and Alexa. I get it on my computer and car, but could do without from those two access points.
It was mentioned upthread -- it's a radio-only package (like they originally offered back in the day) not advertised on the SXM site but if you push the CSR they'll admit that it exists. The savings over the Select package is pretty minimal, I think.

There's also a "streaming-only" package but I don't really see the utility of that in a world with Spotify, iHeart Radio, Pandora, etc.

teacher

Post by teacher » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:38 pm

Thanks bluebolt.

I will try to get $5/mo for 12 months for SiriusXM Select, or since I am not a new subscriber, $99 + $21.19 for US Royalty fee for one year.

I have a ball park. I'll give it try and see how it goes. Thanks for the input. Bogleheads never fail to help out.

(I thought "streaming" was a live feed, and SiriusXM was all streaming. Maybe it is recorded if you don't pay for streaming.)

edit: I was way off on the meaning of streaming. Thanks for clarifying that pj1983.

glock19

Post by glock19 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:17 pm

You probably cannot get new subscriber rates. You can at least get your previous deal. When you call they will first tell you that your previous deal is no longer available. Say you will cancel. Then they will come back with a lower offer not quite as good as your previous deal. Say no again. Then they will put you on hold and come back with your previous deal. It took me a while to realize they must go through this routine each time.

teacher

Post by teacher » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:23 pm

Ok, with the help of you all, I got a good deal, better than last year. The All Access package totaled $99.10. That includes the US Music Royalty fee. I used the Online Chat option. Glock19 was right. Return customers don't get the $5 a month deal. Thanks again everyone.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:51 pm

teacher wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:23 pm
Ok, with the help of you all, I got a good deal, better than last year. The All Access package totaled $99.10. That includes the US Music Royalty fee. I used the Online Chat option. Glock19 was right. Return customers don't get the $5 a month deal. Thanks again everyone.
Actually, they will tell you that returning customers don't get the $5/mo deal. Happens all the time. Then if you talk to the right CS rep and are firm they will change their tune very quickly. I've been a customer since 2008.

A few weeks ago when my last promo expired I insisted on a 12 month deal, since I was tired of calling to renew every 5 or 6 months.
I ended up with 12 months of Select for $60, which with taxes and fees totaled $72.84.

beernutz

Post by beernutz » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:48 pm

I was offered $5 per month eventually when calling to cancel service after 3 months of free trial and 3 more months for $2.

I said no. This business model of making people haggle with online CS folks for a good deal is BS. I will just listen to my flash drive music.

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:34 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:51 pm
Actually, they will tell you that returning customers don't get the $5/mo deal. Happens all the time. Then if you talk to the right CS rep and are firm they will change their tune very quickly. I've been a customer since 2008.

A few weeks ago when my last promo expired I insisted on a 12 month deal, since I was tired of calling to renew every 5 or 6 months.
I ended up with 12 months of Select for $60, which with taxes and fees totaled $72.84.
Agreed. When I call now, I always tell them that I want the same deal as last time and if not I'm going to cancel. Haven't had any problem. I have not succeeded in getting the full year deal, I will try that next time.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:42 am

This post could not be more timely. Just got the annual renewal for my truck - $232. Wife's is also up in May, so double the cost.

Will report back!