Is there a way to setup alerts for a Vanguard acct for when there's a certain $$ of unrealized loss on a holding? Thanks

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
equanimity33

Is there a way to setup alerts for a Vanguard acct for when there's a certain $$ of unrealized loss on a holding? Thanks

Post by equanimity33 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:53 am

If there's a third party app that will track this for me, that'd work too. I suppose I could set up a spreadsheet, but I'm not savvy enough to know how to set it up so that data can be fetched from the web in real time.

FiveK

Re: Is there a way to setup alerts for a Vanguard acct for when there's a certain $$ of unrealized loss on a holding? Th

Post by FiveK » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:16 pm

Don't know about alerts or apps, but the "old fashioned" way does work: Log in to your Vanguard account and go to My Accounts>Cost Basis>Unrealized gains & losses.

BigJohn

Re: Is there a way to setup alerts for a Vanguard acct for when there's a certain $$ of unrealized loss on a holding? Th

Post by BigJohn » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:10 pm

Calculate the stock price that gives you the desired loss and set a price alert?

Tracy

Post by Tracy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:14 pm

You can get email alerts from Vanguard if you have a brokerage account. You can select specific security tickers (e.g., VTI), and get alerts when those securities rise or fall by either 2.5%, 5%, 10%, or 20% from the previous close. You can also get alerts when the price hits a specific dollar amount, crosses 5, 30, or 100-day moving average, and a couple of other metrics.

Login to your Vanguard account. Click on "My Accounts" in the menu bar. Click on "Account Maintenance" (lower right corner of the popup). Under the "Alerts" heading, click on "Stock & ETF Alerts". The first time you do this, there's an "Enroll Now" button (and an explanation that this is a free service, etc.). Once you're enrolled, you can add one or more securities to your alert list (at the bottom of the "Stock & ETF Alerts" page) and select the metrics you're interested in.

Wiggums

Post by Wiggums » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:03 pm

equanimity33 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:53 am
If there's a third party app that will track this for me, that'd work too. I suppose I could set up a spreadsheet, but I'm not savvy enough to know how to set it up so that data can be fetched from the web in real time.
What do you hope to accomplish with this information? It does appear like you would need to logon as recommended unless you ate looking for a decrease in the stock price?

How often do you need to check for losses?