Online piano sheet music resources

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
automatic deductions

Online piano sheet music resources

Post by automatic deductions » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:41 am

Hello All

Wondering if there are any strong recommendations for online piano sheet music in particular to help us expand our piano skills while we are stuck inside? I am very familiar with Ultimate Guitar (excellent site, no payments needed) and looking for similar options if any for the piano. [For context, the example song my young guy is looking for is Faded by Alan Walker.]

Youtube is very good, of course, both piano and guitar, but I'd love some sheet music for the piano.

After looking at various resources perhaps Music Notes is most promising. For those that have used this or other similar sites:
- do they appear relatively safe? (ie no credit card issues, no thousand-spam emails per day,...)
- any idea if the money trickles back somehow to the artists? (I'd love to support if the money did get there)

Thanks.

BashDash

Re: Online piano sheet music resources

Post by BashDash » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:56 am

Check out muse score app. Free.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:59 am

automatic deductions wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:41 am
Hello All

Wondering if there are any strong recommendations for online piano sheet music in particular to help us expand our piano skills while we are stuck inside? I am very familiar with Ultimate Guitar (excellent site, no payments needed) and looking for similar options if any for the piano. [For context, the example song my young guy is looking for is Faded by Alan Walker.]

Youtube is very good, of course, both piano and guitar, but I'd love some sheet music for the piano.

After looking at various resources perhaps Music Notes is most promising. For those that have used this or other similar sites:
- do they appear relatively safe? (ie no credit card issues, no thousand-spam emails per day,...)
- any idea if the money trickles back somehow to the artists? (I'd love to support if the money did get there)

Thanks.
If you're looking for classical music https://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page has everything. Sheet music available from Monteverdi to Gershwin. Free pop music is harder to come by.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:06 am

You might also just try Google, with the name of the piece and "sheet music", or also performances to help learn.

We've been taking Opera lessons, and we've found a lot of resources just using Google, everything from sheet music, to watching master classes (fascinating!), and listening to some of the "masters" to help us learn variations in timing, help with the Italian pronunciations, and also general technique.

There are plenty of links to YouTube as well.
Some of what shows up is for pay, but an awful lot is just free.

As an aside, we've had to start taking our lessons online. The conservatory uses Zoom, and thus far (only one lesson thus far), it works a lot better than I would have expected.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:54 pm

https://musopen.org/ has a lengthy selection of non-copyrighted sheet music and a search box or a browse by category ability.

Topic Author
automatic deductions

Post by automatic deductions » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:21 pm

Thank you for those suggestions. I will look into them. The regularly scheduled piano lesson is booked for tomorrow morning on Zoom - we'll see how that goes.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:31 pm

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:21 pm
Thank you for those suggestions. I will look into them. The regularly scheduled piano lesson is booked for tomorrow morning on Zoom - we'll see how that goes.
Ah, good luck.
We were surprised with the opera lesson with Zoom. Went very well.

But we're going to get a better external mic so instructor can hear us a bit better. That may not be as important with a piano that is in tune, whereas we might not be :oops:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:38 pm

The above-mentioned IMSLP is the gold standard. If it's classical (and public domain), they'll have it--and probably in several editions. This includes etude/exercise books like Hanon/Czerny/Beringer/etc.

For modern sheet music, you're probably going to have to (and, let's face it, should) pay something. SheetMusicPlus is one of my go-to shops. Tons of digital downloads, reasonably priced, 100% legit.

For example: https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/search?N ... lan+walker

(There's a third option that's the best of both worlds. Any piece of music you want, including modern hits, completely free. It's called "sitting down and figuring out the dang thing by ear". I highly recommend it. It's a struggle at first if you've never done it, and you'll probably get some things wrong and/or get stumped in places. But it gets easier the more you do it. And now's as good a time as any, eh?)
Stay on target...

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:42 pm

Hymnary.org has a lot of free sheet piano music.

I was wondering if anyone knew a good source for the piano music for the song, "Everybody's Gonna Have a Wonderful Time Up There."? I wouldn't mind paying for the song if I knew the website was legit.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:37 pm

One of my winter goals (months ago when stuck inside) was to learn to read music and transfer it to guitar. In the past I have used tablature for the guitar but I always wanted to "read".

Been doing it for several months now using the same book from library - Solo Guita Playing by Frederick M. Noad (book 1).

It has been entertaining and now that I am really stuck inside (working at home) it gives me an hour or so a day of entertainment.

Ed

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:22 am

Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:42 pm
I was wondering if anyone knew a good source for the piano music for the song, "Everybody's Gonna Have a Wonderful Time Up There."? I wouldn't mind paying for the song if I knew the website was legit.
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/a- ... c/19552100

Although I'll repeat my recommendation to consider trying to pick it out by ear before succumbing to the temptation of sheet music (which, after all, is merely an arrangement by someone else who picked it out by ear for you). This song is a good one to start with, actually. Fairly simple melody and chords.

:beer
Stay on target...

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:12 am

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:21 pm
My kids had music lessons via zoom yesterday. Went very well except when the instructor was wanting to play the instrument along with my kid at the same time and then the audio cut out here and there. Overall though, I am going to ask if we can do this more often even after the pandemic to save travel time and gas.

McDougal

Post by McDougal » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:20 am

I've used music notes dot com with varying results. Totally legit as far as credit card etc. But each song you look for likely has several arrangements, and the preview is not great, but overall a good place to start.

mlipps

Post by mlipps » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:44 am

I signed up for an app called SimplyPiano as a beginner. There is also a website called Scribd that is running 30 day free trials (compared to usual 7) which has an extensive sheet music collection.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:05 am

JupiterJones wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:22 am
Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:42 pm
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/a- ... c/19552100

Although I'll repeat my recommendation to consider trying to pick it out by ear before succumbing to the temptation of sheet music (which, after all, is merely an arrangement by someone else who picked it out by ear for you). This song is a good one to start with, actually. Fairly simple melody and chords.

:beer
Thanks for taking the time to post the link. I spent my $3.99 and downloaded the music.

I also appreciate the encouragement to play by ear. I do that with the guitar. I took 5 or so years of lessons in how to play the piano with music and many years later took a few lessons on playing by ear. I might try playing by ear with another song.

I find playing with the words and the music with a good positive song to be great therapy for the soul!