[Differences in strategies: Ramsey vs Bogle]

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
saintsfan342000

Re: Ramsey or Bogle?

Post by saintsfan342000 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:06 pm

I cannot give enough gravity to what I'm about to say: stay away from his Smartvestor program. Eight months with one of those hacks is how I ended up here.

OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:37 pm

Well Ramsey is an entertainer and Bogle was a genius. Not much to compare here...

dh

Post by dh » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:38 pm

OldBallCoach wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:37 pm
Well Ramsey is an entertainer and Bogle was a genius. Not much to compare here...
+1

Someone recently posted a video of Ramsey who lost it because the market was declining. Whereas Jack Bogle always demonstrated grit, Dave Ramsey seemed tossed around like a dingy in a hurricane. I am with Jack! RIP
Last edited by dh on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:51 pm

Ramsey or Bogle? I'll go with Bogle.

BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:55 pm

I like to listen to the success stories on Dave's show, but you can't put him in the same category as John Bogle. Jack has dedicated his life to the study of index investing and no one has studied it as much as him.

Dave really doesn't seem to like deep theory in investing which is why he relies on ELPs. His advice is 4 funds in the categories already mentioned, but he does recommend managed funds and does not really focus on the cost or even if they have sales loads. His claim is he has gotten 12% per year. I pretty much figured out Dave holds funds in the American Fund family.

Where Dave does seem to know his stuff is in Real Estate. You can tell how he answers questions on his show about investing and Real Estate. He definitely has much more passion for the latter and I would be more comfortable taking his advice on Real Estate.

At the end of the day, Jack Bogle's advice is much better than Dave's advice, but Dave's motivational talk about getting out of debt has helped many.

macheta

Post by macheta » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:14 pm

Both have good strategies for personal finances. If I had to pick, I'm a boglehead since I have been following for eight years vs. one year with listening to Ramsey. Here are things I dislike about Ramsey:

1) Ramsey does not recommend bonds
2) Prefers working with a smart invester pro
3) Recommends to shut off 401k even with matches while doing the debt snowbowl
4) He's not a fan of HSA's. (I love my HSA)

Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:26 pm

I think both have been tremendously helpful to me and countless others ...Ramsey to get me to the point of being able to invest and Bogle for investing. Without having solid personal financial practices, it’s very easy to not be able to stay the course with investing...the folks freaking out and selling when times get a little rough are probably not the ones with minimal debt living below their means with a healthy “cash”emergency fund.

Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:46 pm

macheta wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:14 pm

4) He's not a fan of HSA's. (I love my HSA)

He talks about investing in HSAs all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGNSRTcWcNY
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.

Bama12

Post by Bama12 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:07 pm

Paul Merriman for ETFS and Funds.

Warren Buffett and Kevin O'leary for stocks.

pocketplayer

Post by pocketplayer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:01 am

As someone who moved to TN to work for Dave and had a close friend who was a VP
Dave is a 12-step (7 step) program and his group is the radio show. He takes his
formula and markets it in every possible way...and has been successful at it. My
buddy worked for him when there were 18 employees...last I looked there were
over 350.

I had a HUGE issue w/Dave on his daily radio program...this was 2010. He said get
in mutual funds and you will yield 10%. He based that on the total average of the stock
market from conception. This was deceptive advice...his listeners (think of people who
see Dave as their money pastor) think mutual funds will give them 10% return.
And of course, he recommended the funds that sponsored his show. There is no
way you can tell your loyal listeners that getting into mutual funds will guarantee
10% return...just because the history of the market has proven a 10$ return. That is like
saying if you got into the market in 1930 and held your funds until 2010 you would have
a 10% return. He never discussed asset allocation or how old an investor was...say a
couple at 55. If they followed his advice in 2010 and wanted to retire in 2017, did they
get a 10% return? Maybe...maybe not.

Lastly, one big issue with Dave was if you disagreed and emailed a concern, you never
got a return email. They had staff for this. The place was unbelievably run well but felt
like a cult...seriously...you are either on board or you are out!

Isn't the most salient advice here to review the 3-4 fund portfolio model to start with?
If you want to develop your learning curve, great, but at least you are staying within wise
advice as in here;
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=88005

Thought Is Free

Post by Thought Is Free » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:12 am

Ramsey when my household was $300k+ in student debt.

Bogle now that our debts are paid.